PDA

View Full Version : Found 7 stray puppies

sumbirdy
09-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Friday I was driving by the local dumpsters and what did I see? 7 little male puppies. Now I know these are not lost puppies. People around here are ALWAYS dropping off puppies they don't want, like they are trash.:mad: They were really skinny and look to be about 6 weeks old. When I fed them they acted like they were used to having to fight each other for their food, like they had never had enough for all of them. That made me really sad. And they were so filthy that when I bathed them I had to shampoo them twice just to get all the dirt off. I had just planned on taking them home, keeping them overnight, and taking them to a shelter the next morning. But the shelter may not have any room for them. The lady told me that I could have them put to sleep but I just couldn't do that, they're just babies. I'm supposed to hear back from them tomorrow or Tuesday to see if they have any room. Buying food for them AND our dogs is expensive and I don't know how long I can do it for, so maybe if they don't have room I can foster them and they can help with the food. I posted a link to pictures of them. I know that they have Red Tick in them since a couple of them look just like Red Tick dogs, but I just can't put a name to the other breed(s) that is in them. Any ideas?

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1958990741986.2097255.1459317455&l=ac9ceef1bb&type=1

Scooter's Mom
09-04-2011, 08:07 PM
No clue what they may be, but bless you for taking them in when they would have fared so poorly without you. You are an angel for sure. :love:

Karen
09-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Beagle and shepherd would be my guess, they are just a bit fuzzier than either a Red Tick or a Beagle, but they could be all three!

They are beautiful, thanks so much for saving them! I hope they are able to find homes!

Roxyluvsme13
09-04-2011, 08:49 PM
What beautiful puppies! It's so sad that someone dumped them :(. I'm glad you found them and took them in. I hope things work out for the little guys.:love:

I agree with Karen, they look like they might have some beagle in them.

luvofallhorses
09-04-2011, 09:26 PM
It's hard to tell at this age, they look like coonhound mixes to me. Super cute, thanks for helping them! It's a good idea to get them fixed before they go to their new homes or have a rescue help you place them and help fix them.

ETA: see if there is a hound rescue in your area and see if they can place them. They may have people on a waiting list wanting a hound that is a puppy.

krazyaboutkatz
09-04-2011, 09:29 PM
They're all so adorable and thanks for taking them in.:) I hope that you'll be able to find them all the loving caring forever homes that they deserve. Good luck.:)

K9soul
09-04-2011, 09:59 PM
My best guess would be cattle dog/beagle perhaps. But they could have more than 2 breeds in the mix certainly. They are cuties and I hope they receive wonderful homes.

Here's a picture of a red cattle dog pup.

http://pics.hoobly.com/full/1LUK29V14RZC3ZP2D2.jpg

They can also have more than one father.

sumbirdy
09-04-2011, 10:36 PM
A lot of people have Red Tick dogs around here so I think that is most likely as one of the breeds. Also Max looks and feels a lot like a smooth collie, although you can't really tell that from the picture. I could hardly keep them still long enough to get any good pics of them. Hmmm...beagle maybe, probably some hound. Heinz 57?

luvofallhorses
09-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Well Red tick is a coonhound.. I don't see beagle personally and beagles usually aren't red tick they are more solid colors... They look like coonhound
(they are bigger hounds.. than beagles..) mixes to me. My coonhound was that small at 7 weeks and he certainly isn't a beagle as I knew what his parents were all coonhound. :)

chocolatepuppy
09-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Whatever they are, they're sure cute! Bless you for helping them.:)

Freedom
09-05-2011, 08:00 AM
THANK YOU for stopping, for picking them up, and taking them in. BLESS you!

Look at those sweet babies. Prayers that they are now on a path to loving homes. I am sure a local rescue could help! Puppies are usually easy to place, so don't take up foster home slots for too long.

Lilith Cherry
09-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Good luck with placing them! They are gorgeous!

sasvermont
09-05-2011, 10:12 AM
It is so sweet of you to take care of these pups. I become so angry with people who do not spay and neuter their dogs/cats and let everyone else take care of the problem once the animals reproduce. SO STUPID!

My concern after the initial happiness of seeing their photos, was the expense of feeding and vetting them. I would try to find a rescue as soon as possible. They probably have not been given shots etc. - probably have worms etc. and could be expensive to vet at this point. A rescue could do this so much more cheaply than you could. Then there is the neutering etc.

The pupsters are so darn cute. I wish I lived closer. The doggie day care, where I take Prue, my dog, takes puppies from crowded rescues and finds good homes for them. The puppies they take, have had all their shots and are fixed before the come to the daycare. Many of them are adopted by families that already bring a dog to the daycare!

If these seven don't get fixed and live several years and reproduce, just think of the number of unwanted pets there will be. I think that is one of the reasons the rescues put down so many unwanted dogs/cats. UNWANTED IS THE CLUE HERE.

I have NEVER had a cat or dog reproduce under my ownership. I did have one cat that was not spayed until she was three. She was an inside cat and I was stupid (age 20) .... but then gave in to the idea of having her spayed. Once my mind kicked in, I made a decision to have all my pets spayed and neutered from that point on.

SPAY AND NEUTER, FOLKS. MAYBE WE SHOULD DO THE SAME TO THE STUPID PEOPLE WHO DO NOT SPAY AND NEUTER THEIR PETS. SORRY. I GET SO ANGRY BECAUSE THERE ARE SO MANY UNWANTED PETS.

I love animals so and feel so sorry for the ones not living the life they deserve. Many do, but oh too many, do not.

Amen.

sumbirdy
09-05-2011, 12:00 PM
I agree they need to be neutered and have their shots. Which is why I am hoping that the shelter I called has a foster program. They are supposed to call today or tomorrow so I'll ask. I'd be happy to keep them here until they find homes, it's just that I can't afford all the things that go with them. Especially since I have two 5 month old pups that I am getting spayed and neutered pretty soon. I just could not leave them at the dumpsters. I have a little money right now put back that will take care of shots, wormer, and food for a little while. But it's not going to last forever. I'll update everyone after I talk to the shelter.

luvofallhorses
09-05-2011, 01:24 PM
I would also make sure the people who adopt these pups research hounds and not adopt them just because they are cute.. they are not for everyone and end up back in the shelter system because they start acting like a hound and people aren't prepared. :) So I would require experience and or research because they look like they have a lot of hound in them more than anything.. maybe lab/coonhound. Best of luck. :)

cassiesmom
09-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Aren't they sweet! Bless you for helping them, Sumbirdy!

sumbirdy
09-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Good news! The shelter called back and I am now the foster parent for the puppies. I just sent pictures off to them so they can put them on their website and in their paper. They will provide food, vet care, etc...
Also, we found a home for one of them (Chaos). My mother has a man that comes by about once a month to deliver medical supplies and he had his girlfriend with him today. She held the puppy and fell in love with him. So now it is 6 little puppies. The funny thing is dad was out talking to them and giving them the puppy while I was uploading the pictures in an email to the shelter. So I had to go back and delete Chaos' picture off of it. Nathan already misses him.

krazyaboutkatz
09-08-2011, 12:48 AM
This is wonderful news.:) I hope that the other puppies will also find great homes quickly too.:)

chocolatepuppy
09-08-2011, 05:12 AM
Thank goodness you have some help with the puppies.:)

MoonandBean
09-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Can you post the phone number or website for the shelter; I would gladly make a contribution for the care of these pups. You and the shelter are so wonderful for helping them!

sumbirdy
09-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Their website is www.arkofmccurtaincounty.org Thank you so much! I'm sure they will appreciate it! I'm not sure if they have their pics up yet or not. They are supposed to soon though. Although this shelter provides low cost spaying and neutering and we are getting our 5 month old pup, Sally, spayed October 8th for just $35!

MoonandBean
09-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Their website is www.arkofmccurtaincounty.org Thank you so much! I'm sure they will appreciate it! I'm not sure if they have their pics up yet or not. They are supposed to soon though. Although this shelter provides low cost spaying and neutering and we are getting our 5 month old pup, Sally, spayed October 8th for just $35!

They have a nice website! Can you call them and ask for a code word that we could all use with donations that will spell out that they are for your pups. That way, anyone who wants to donate can specify where it should go.

sumbirdy
09-08-2011, 05:56 PM
MoonandBean-She said to make this note "watson puppy expenses-Glena is coaching". She also said if you are using the new donate online program (?) then I can give her your name and she can have it pulled for use on these puppies.

MoonandBean
09-09-2011, 09:51 AM
OK; I'll do it now and I'll private message you.

MoonandBean
09-13-2011, 08:44 AM
How are the pups doing? :)

sumbirdy
09-13-2011, 11:45 PM
They are great! A lot fatter and not nearly as scared as when we first got them (Cosmo and Biscuit though are still works in progress, I've got them to the point where they wag their tails when they see me but they still won't come to me like the other pups do). I think a couple of them are going to have pointy ears. Cosmo has one ear that goes halfway up and then droops at the tip. It looks like he always has a question. lol. We just picked up 100 pounds of dogfood for them today that was donated to them and now I'm waiting for a call back regarding their shots. Hopefully they will all find homes soon. Although I really don't want to see them go, but I just can't keep them. I have the room for 6 little puppies but probably not for 6 grown dogs! I love finding out their personalities. Jack is an "old soul". He's content to lay around with the big dogs, sleep in the sun. When he walks it's a lazy walk, no hurry to get anywhere (unless of course it's mealtime!) Max and Rusty are snugglers. They are always wanting to be picked up and held and petted and are just fine going to sleep in someone's arms. When they see me they are they first ones there, paws up on my legs. Barney is the feisty one. He loves to play! He loves to chew! He loves to pull! Bite! Drag! Bark! Run in circles! He's always going, going, going. And then Cosmo and Biscuit are still shy, but very sweet. They're always happy to see you but don't really like to be picked up, although they will tolerate petting if still on the ground. Although I'm sure that they will warm up eventually. I just don't want to rush it on them.

anna_66
09-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Bless you for rescuing these sweet little ones, your an angel!

I'm very glad to hear that your getting help with taking care of them, I can't imagine trying to vet and feed them all. It's great to hear that one of them has already found a forever home! I hope the rest do soon.

MoonandBean
09-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the great pupdate...:)

sumbirdy
09-21-2011, 06:33 PM
The puppies had their shots, flea treatment and de-wormer today. They should be getting neutered in early October, but the details are still being worked out. They are up on the ARK's website www.arkofmccurtaincounty.org so hopefully they will be finding homes soon!

MoonandBean
09-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Awww....they are so cute!!

sumbirdy
09-29-2011, 06:50 PM
The shelter may have found a home for one of the pups. There is a woman who has a chicken house and she wants a dog who can go in the chicken house with her but not bother the chickens, so she wants to get a puppy so it'll be easier to train. I think that she'll be meeting them the 8th or 9th when I bring them to the shelters clinic to have them neutered. I'll know more Wednesday, but hopefully one of the pups has found a home (or maybe she'll take 2! :) ) Everyone cross your fingers that one of the pups finds a forever home with this lady and that the others find their homes soon. It's going to be so hard letting them go but I know that they will be so much better off with someone who can take care of them and provide for them for the rest of their lives.

Karen
09-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Oh, good luck! Sounds like some pup will get an important job!

chocolatepuppy
09-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Fingers and paws crossed here for the pup to get adopted!:)

sumbirdy
10-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Jack is going to his new home on Saturday after he gets neutered. It's actually going to be a trial run to see if he and her older dog gets along, and if they do then the lady will keep him. So hopefully Jack minds his manners and is respectful of the dog of the house. ;) It's going to be hard seeing him go though...

MoonandBean
10-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Aww...Good luck Jack!!!!! I just fostered a kitten and it was hard letting him go at 12 weeks but he is sooo happy in his new home and getting the attention he deserves that I couldn't give him. Thanks for fostering them after you saved their lives :love:

sumbirdy
10-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Well the lady decided she didn't want a puppy after all. :( All of the pups were neutered today. They were good little boys as they waited their turn. Everyone did great exept for Cosmo. He lost a lot of blood and they had to give him blood and he came out with a big bandage around his rear. He has to be on atibiotics for a couple of days. The good thing is he doesn't seem to be in pain or anything but the bandage is driving him crazy.

Karen
10-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Awww, hopefully they will all get good homes, especially now they are all "fixed!"

chocolatepuppy
10-09-2011, 07:27 AM
I hope Cosmo is ok. I don't know why these puppies aren't getting adopted!:( I hope they find homes soon.

mrspunkysmom
10-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Bless you for taking in these pups. They are so cute! :love:

I also looked to see if the pups were on PetFinder.

Rusty and Barney (http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/20933091)

Biscuit and Cosmo (http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/20933080)

Jack and Max (http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/20933096)

It seems they have grouped them by apparent breed.

I do hope they can get adopted. Can you or a rescue take them to a weekend adoptathon somewhere? Just a thought.

sumbirdy
10-09-2011, 10:27 AM
mrspunkysmom-I have thought about an adoptathon or something. The shelter holds events like that and I was going to talk to them and see if I can bring the pups, but I don't know when their next one will be. They took recent pictures of them yesterday since they have grown some since the last pics were taken. They should be put up probably sometime in the next couple of weeks.

I don't know why they're not getting adopted either! I would have thought at least one of them would have found a home by now.

Cosmo is doing a lot better today, although he is still a bit more sore than his brothers.

We also got our 6 month old pup, Sally spayed yesterday. She came home and spent most of the rest of her evening lounging in a chair. Expecting to be pampered I suppose. :p

Scooter's Mom
10-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Hope they find new homes soon. I'm sure you've got your hands full with 7 extra mouths. You're such an angel for helping them out.

Hope Cosmo feels better soon!

sumbirdy
10-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Just found out that one of the volunteer ladies kept insisting that we bred Sally and these are her puppies. Sally is just 6 months old! And these pups are AT LEAST 2 months old...So Sally would of had to get pregnant when she was 2 months...right. My mother was talking to her and this woman wouldn't listen to her. She kept saying Sally was the mother even though mom kept saying she wasn't. Then they mixed up all the pups paperwork, which wasn't so bad because they had all the same stuff done and are about the same size and this woman kept calling one of the pups Max and I said No, that's Barney. She said "They're the Ark's (name of rescue) puppies. I would think they would know their names." Well, I would think I would since I named them and this is the first time the Ark has seen them. She kept insisting on calling them by the wrong names. Other than her everyone else was very nice and made an effort to call the pups by their actual names.

Oh and Cosmo is doing much better. He's still on his meds which smell like Bubble Gum and he likes it a lot. I wish Nathan was as easy as him to give medicine to!

sumbirdy
10-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Hope they find new homes soon. I'm sure you've got your hands full with 7 extra mouths. You're such an angel for helping them out.

Hope Cosmo feels better soon!

Well it's just 6 now. One of them found his home before I started fostering them for the rescue. But these 6 are still a handful! lol I'm so glad the rescue let me foster them for them. I don't have to worry about their food or vet care while they're waiting for homes this way. That's a big relief.

MoonandBean
10-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Oh and Cosmo is doing much better. He's still on his meds which smell like Bubble Gum and he likes it a lot. I wish Nathan was as easy as him to give medicine to!

Hee hee!:D

sumbirdy
10-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Added new pics of the pups to my Facebook page! Taken today! http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1958990741986.2097255.1459317455&type=1&l=ac9ceef1bb

Also the shelter may have found a home for a pup (don't want to say DID find since what happened last time) A couple has a lab pup about the same age as these and she is very lonely. They like Jack and Rusty and haven't decided between the two yet (but they're leaning more towards Rusty) I should be hearing back more about it either Sunday or Monday, and one of these lucky pups may be going to their new home Tuesday (or sometime next week) I'm going to start leash training them next week too. I'm trying to teach them manners. They're learning Stay. When I say it they all sit down where they are for a few seconds (they're not so good at keeping the posistion yet) Cosmo and Biscuit are no longer works in progress. They are completely trusting now. Cosmo will even try to jump as high as he can and try to jump in my arms! When I pick him up he's all snuggly and he's very soft. He loves laying in my arms and having his belly rubbed, he just lays there and wags his tail. I have to say I'm more attached to him since it took me so long to get him to trust me and I've put a lot of time into him. It's going to be REALLY hard seeing him go but I know I can't keep him and I know he'll make someone a great dog. I wish a PT'er lived closer. Someone who wanted him that way I could visit him and see pics! :)

chocolatepuppy
10-21-2011, 11:08 PM
All fingers and paws crossed here for a puppy to get adopted!:D

sumbirdy
11-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Well, the last adoption I told you about didn't go through. However, I got a call last night from the shelter asking if I would like for the puppies to be in 2 Christmas parades. They will be pulled in a wagon, and a couple of them may be adopted through that. Maybe someone will see them and want them. Also we are thinking of adopting Cosmo. Actually I'm pretty sure we ARE going to adopt Cosmo. :)

Karen
11-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Wow, thanks for keeping us updated - and who wouldn't want to adopt these babies right off the parade wagon!

chocolatepuppy
11-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Oh no, only one puppy got adopted?:( I wish I could take one. I'll continue pawsitive thoughts your way to get these puppies homes.:)

Karen
11-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Well, the last adoption I told you about didn't go through. However, I got a call last night from the shelter asking if I would like for the puppies to be in 2 Christmas parades. They will be pulled in a wagon, and a couple of them may be adopted through that. Maybe someone will see them and want them. Also we are thinking of adopting Cosmo. Actually I'm pretty sure we ARE going to adopt Cosmo. :)

By the way, can you go out and buy a bright piece of ribbon for each pup so they can each have a pretty bow for the parade? And that way people can say "Oh, I'll take the one with the red bow" etc., and besides, what could be cuter, right?

sumbirdy
11-22-2011, 07:19 PM
By the way, can you go out and buy a bright piece of ribbon for each pup so they can each have a pretty bow for the parade? And that way people can say "Oh, I'll take the one with the red bow" etc., and besides, what could be cuter, right?

I'm not the one putting it all together but I'll ask! That would be cute. The woman who is putting it together called me and they are going to be in a large cage with wheels on it. There are going to be lights on it so people can see them and a sign that's says something like "We're adoptable" or something similar to that.

sumbirdy
01-20-2012, 06:31 PM
FINALLY one of the puppies has found a home! Jack went to his new home today. (For some reason Jack is the only one who has ever had people interested in him) He is now living in Texas and is the dog of an 8 year old boy who is about to lose his grandfather. His mother got Jack for him to try to help ease things. I can understand that. Dogs are good listeners for kids. And I think Jack will do great living there, he loves kids and he's very sweet and gentle, but he's also got a big bark, so he'll make a good watch dog later on. I really miss him already, and so does Nathan, but I've been preparing myself for this for a while, ever since I got them. And I don't guess it isn't as bad seeing them go one at a time as it would be seeing them all go at once or something. I just really do miss him.

A little update on the rest of the puppies, although it seems crazy calling them puppies since they are getting so big. The smallest is 25 pounds. They are all doing great. They are leash trained and are learning sit and stay. I'm not making as much progress as I would like since I have a group of them so it's taking longer. A week before New Years Biscuit was running in my neighbors field (they have access to it whenever they want with permission from the neighbors, the dogs see it like an extension of our yard) when some hunters (who weren't supposed to be there) shot him. I took him to the vet and the bullet came very close to hitting his spine but luckily it only went through muscle, and he's completely fine now except for a couple of scars. The neighbors have put up cameras to try to catch who's been hunting on their land. That's where they raise their horses and they don't want people hunting there possibly scaring their horses or even shooting one. So until the hunters have been found the pups aren't allowed in the field (much to their dismay). Other than this everyone is doing well, getting bigger and eating their weight in food everyday. lol

Karen
01-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Congrats on Jack getting a home. It must have been so scary when Biscuit got shot! I hope they catch those hunters soon!

sumbirdy
01-20-2012, 09:07 PM
It was really scary. And it makes me really mad. I don't see who could do that, he's too small to be mistaken for a deer, plus he's got a collar on, they must have known he was a dog. It made my neighbors mad too since they have signs posted telling people not to hunt on their property. Biscuit was brave through all of it and earned himself a new chewy bone. The pups sure wish though that they were allowed back in that "big yard"