PDA

View Full Version : Grocery shopping

pomtzu
09-04-2011, 09:20 AM
How often do you go? As much as I hate this task, I keep it to a bare minimum - I go once a month and get it over with in one shot. It might seem like I'm spending a lot, but I actually save money this way. Occasionally I might have to go to pick up an item I run out of or forgot, or if there is a super sale on an item I want or need, but I don't buy anything else except what I make that extra trip for. My DIL is at the store at least 5 time each week. I just can't convince her that by planning ahead and going less and buying bigger containers of items, that she will pay less per unit price, will not have to buy those items as often, and will not buy those extra things she sees that she didn't really go for in the first place. And not to mention the gas she will save in her gas guzzling SUV by going less..........
Do you go often, or do you do one or two big trips per month?

mrspunkysmom
09-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Right now, once per week for frozen stuff. I buy ahead when I open the last container of some things like detergent. No fun running out of tissue.

I shop sales too and try to arrange my sprees to maximize my time and money.

Freedom
09-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Once a week. I try to only take the car out 3 days per week -- trips to Bridgham Farm don't count! LOL

With Dad, I could never go once a month. He eats everything while I am out walking the pups - he's always been this way, cares less he has diabetes. If I buy a bag of apples, he'll eat 3 while I am out! Up goes his blood glucose level. Sigh.

Puckstop31
09-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Once a month for meat and other staples... We go to BJs for that stuff. Then once a week or so for pop, produce and things Hannah might need.

I need to get some venison in the freezer early this year. Then I'd have an excuse for a bigger chest freezer. LOL It would be nice to make the trip to BJs a bi-monthly thing, but I need more freezer space for that.

wombat2u2004
09-04-2011, 10:32 AM
I go whenever I feel like it. Once, twice a week, even daily sometimes.
The supermarket is about a mile away.....and there's never much traffic here where I live....10 cars on the road at once is peak hour.

Roxyluvsme13
09-04-2011, 10:35 AM
It depends. But we usually make several trips a week. We have one big shopping trip, but then we go back once a week usually for anything else we decide we want or that we've forgotten.

Then again, we're within 3-4 miles (if even that much) of 4 grocery stores and a WalMart.

Grace
09-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Once or twice a week. There's no way produce will stay fresh for a month.

I always make detailed lists, covering the menus for the week. Our store is close, and I get great mileage, so don't worry about that aspect. We do shop at CostCo for detergents, Kleenex and the like. We go there about every 4 months.

pomtzu
09-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Once or twice a week. There's no way produce will stay fresh for a month.

The only thing I can't buy for the month is milk and produce, but my DIL is at the store so often, she picks them up.

All my once a month shopping is done and Walmart and Sam's. I did make an unscheduled trip to the local Food Lion yesterday for one of their super sales - Breyers ice cream at $1.99 - regular $6.49. I bought 8 half gallons and my DIL bought 4. :D Of course I couldn't do that without the big freezer in the garage. We're BIG ice cream eaters here, so I always stock up when they have one of these sales. :)

Asiel
09-04-2011, 11:22 AM
I do one large order every month and buy only what I put on my list. Mostly stock up on meats and a few other staples I might need. Hubby is always going to the mall ( 15 minutes away ) so he picks up fresh produce as we need it or stuff that I spot is on sale for a huge difference in price. I don't like ovestocking my cupboards, makes it too tedious to clean when I have to haul out a bunch of stuff I "forgot" I had...such a waste.

Karen
09-04-2011, 11:49 AM
A couple times a week, for small stuff and produce, one a week for a "big shop," but I am only 1 mile from the grocery store and pass one wherever I am going, so it's not a big deal. I do combine trips/errands to save time and gas, though.

Taz_Zoee
09-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Once a week. My boyfriend is not a stocker. If something sits in the cabinet too long he claims it's "too old". :rolleyes: We pretty much get the same things EVERY week. If the meat is on sale (buy one get one free) we will of course get the free one. We do not have a lot of freezer space. Plus I have to get a bag of carrots for the dogs each week. :D
I work right across the street from Costco so my co-worker and I sometimes make a trip at lunch to get a few items....and a cheap hot dog for lunch. :p

caseysmom
09-04-2011, 12:08 PM
I do a big trip to costco once a week and then go to the local grocery store for whatever I forget or costco doesn't have. I am making lasagna today and already realized I forgot to buy onions.

Pembroke_Corgi
09-04-2011, 02:12 PM
We usually go a few times a week. My daughter eats a lot of fresh fruit and I don't like to buy too much produce at once because it spoils quickly. There's a grocery store less than a mile from our house that we can go to if we need something fast, and plenty of places to stop on the way home from work. It's really hard to make long trips to the store with a 2.5 year old, so a few quick trips works out better for us.

ToBeEvergreen
09-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Once a week. We always run out of something important by the end of the week like paper towels. If we had more freezer space Costco would be more cost efficient.

krazyaboutkatz
09-04-2011, 05:50 PM
I also hate grocery shopping so I try to go only 2 times a month. I do buy a lot at once. If I run out of things like bread or produce then I'll go shopping for just a few items. I buy a lot of frozen food so it does last a while. I don't cook so most of my meals have to be microwavable.;)

pomtzu
09-05-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm surprised to see that so many people go so often. When I was working I used to go once a week - and no more - unless I had to pick up fixins for a covered dish at one of our "pig out days" at work, or some other gathering. I hate shopping of any kind, even to buy clothes or whatever for myself. And Christmas shopping??? - I'd rather take a beating. :eek: Thank goodness for on line shopping! :D

wombat2u2004
09-05-2011, 09:18 AM
I'm surprised to see that so many people go so often. When I was working I used to go once a week - and no more - unless I had to pick up fixins for a covered dish at one of our "pig out days" at work, or some other gathering. I hate shopping of any kind, even to buy clothes or whatever for myself. And Christmas shopping??? - I'd rather take a beating. :eek: Thank goodness for on line shopping! :D

I love shopping. It gives me a real buzz.

pomtzu
09-05-2011, 09:23 AM
I love shopping. It gives me a real buzz.

You and my ex would get along great then. He loved going shopping and I hate it. It's usually the other way around. :p

chocolatepuppy
09-05-2011, 09:53 AM
I shop whenever I need a few things or if I'm dying for something.:D I have two grocery stores nearby, no wasting gas to worry about.;)

sasvermont
09-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Lately, I have been going to Costco once a month. I buy lots of frozen fruits for smoothies (with protein powder added by me)... a replacement for the usual breakfast cereal with milk. I have given up butter, milk as we know it, mayonaise, pasta and bread. I have lost 20 pounds over four months. I plan to keep going. I also take vitamins. I buy frozen meats, (actually fresh meat and I freeze it) mostly turkey and chicken and try to find organic. I do buy my veggies at a local farm stand and have grown my own this summer. Winter will force me to visit a store more often than now.

Since stopping the milk, bread, I find I have no need to go to the store. I spend so much less now. You see, when I visited the store for milk and bread and cereal, I also bought ice cream, icky cakes etc. I spent a fortune on nice bread, thinking it was healthy for me. I have cut my grocery bill in half by not buying the above mentioned items.

I was reading something recently about Americans buying and drinking way, way too much milk. I would go through at least a gallon per week, sometimes more. Same with bread, way too much!

So, once a month works for me, saves me money and allows me to watch the waistline at the same time.

I do eat no-fat yogurt and cottage cheese from time to time.... and have gone to dinner and parties and enjoyed whatever I wanted.... so I am not miserable and starving myself. I was over-weight and have about 25 more pounds to drop before I am just an AVERAGE weight...........................
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

pomtzu
09-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Way to go, SAS. Congrats on the weight loss. I almost never eat bread, and I don't like milk, but it's in the house for the other members that do consume it. However - ice cream is another subject. I can get away with it tho, since I am underweight. I love my fresh fruits too.

Good to see another once a month shopper here. I was feeling like the oddball. :eek: And shopping this way, we really do save a lot of money. :D

Cataholic
09-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Did someone say oddball? Lolol..just kidding!
I go about one time a week, as we run out of fresh produce. we just ran there today as I was out of onions.

SAS, good on you!

phesina
09-05-2011, 04:10 PM
I live right around the corner from Trader Joe's, easy walking distance, and I'm in there nearly every day, just looking around or getting something I'm running low on. I get produce and juice and cereal and some frozen meals and wine (Three-Buck Chuck!) there because the prices are as good as if not lower than those in the big stores.

Once or twice every week or two (as seldom as possible!) I go to Kroger or Meijers for stuff like dairy products and sparkling water and frozen dinners that do cost more at Trader Joe's.

kitten645
09-05-2011, 10:09 PM
I work at a market so technically I'm there five days a week!:p I'm single so I can't do the whole "family pack" stuff. I go to Costco once a month for litter, TP and non-perisables. I buy produce and meat in small portions at my store because I like them fresh. I've got a bit of an "inside track" as both managers tell me when there's a good deal or exceptionally good item in stock. I'm a little spoiled! LOL!