PDA

View Full Version : What have I gotten myself into? *edit-he has a home!*

AdoreMyDogs
09-03-2011, 04:53 PM
This is Riley. I found him as a stray across the street from me. I've left my number and a brief description of him with Animal Control as well as the Humane Society, posted flyers, put a found puppy add in the newspaper, put a found puppy add on Craigs'List, as well as walked door-to-door for an hour. He really reminds me of my beloved Graham, but I can't have 3 dogs. Our house is not big enough, and my finances are not ideal for 3 dogs. We are trying to plan a move and it's going to be hard enough moving with two big dogs and 2 cats, adding another dog into the mix may sabotage our plans of ever moving out of this horrible town.

So, I have called the Humane Society and asked them for help. I want to find him a WONDERFUL home, but this town is not very pet-friendly at all, and many folks get dogs simply as back-yard pets. He's too good a dog to be forced to live in the miserable heat in a back yard. He is crate-trained, he's house-trained (except for the minor submissive piddeling), he sits on command, he sits at your feet when he greets you, he's gentle, he ADORES my children, he is incredibly mellow for a puppy, and I am totally in love with him. The Humane Society has no room, and does not accept puppies due to the diseases they can bring into the shelter. I really don't know what to do. I can not just let him get PTS. My kids are SO attached to him (and he is to them as well), but I really can't have a 3rd dog. Gosh he's a great dog. If anyone knows anyone that might be interested THE perfect puppy let me know. He's the best, easiest little puppy. I'm really hoping he goes to a home with children, he's a fabulous family dog and lets my kids lift him, drag him, lay on him, dress him up, etc etc.

Anyway, here's Riley, the BEST puppy ever!

Karen
09-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Awww, he's so sweet! I hope you find a good home for him! If you were closer ... I might try to talk a certain Dad of mine into taking him, but I hope he finds a good home! Maybe ask around at church tomorrow, especially other families with kids, or even some older person who either just sent a kid of to college, or is newly widowed or single and might have an empty spot in their home to fill!

ToBeEvergreen
09-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Try to put him up on as many Humane Society/adoption lists as you can. Maybe try a town next door if yours isn't too keen on dogs? Really hope you find the best home for him. If we were still looking for a puppy I'd nab him up in a second.

Freedom
09-03-2011, 06:45 PM
How sweet he seems! And wow a puppy and no one admits having lost him? He sure is enjoying being with all of you.

luvofallhorses
09-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Oh he is cute! :)

chocolatepuppy
09-03-2011, 09:11 PM
What a cutie! I hope you can find him a good home soon.

sana
09-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Aww! What a sweet heart! I wish I could keep him, One Down needs a little puppy friend, I'm sure :D I pray that he finds a great home and that he loves being there :)

krazyaboutkatz
09-03-2011, 10:40 PM
He's so adorable.:) I also hope that you'll be able to find him the perfect forever loving home. Good luck.:)

lizbud
09-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Awww, he's so sweet looking.:love: He's just a little guy, wouldn't take
up much room in a move. Since there aren't many options for him in the
town where you are, maybe he (& you guys) will find better luck in the next
town where you settle.

ps. I just love the pic of him snoozing in the kitchen.:D:D

prechrswife
09-04-2011, 05:07 PM
I will post on my FB since I have a lot of FB friends in Texas. Don't know if anyone will respond, but it certainly can't hurt.

AdoreMyDogs
09-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Thank you so much, Dusty.

I took Riley to the dog park today and he walked wonderful on a leash on our walk to and from the dog park, and he liked the dogs but LOVED the people in the dog park, especially the kids. There was a dad who had his children and Riley flocked right to the kids and did his "belly-up, rub ma belly" pose, and stuck with the kids until they left. I sure hope he can go to a home with kids!!!!

Cincy'sMom
09-05-2011, 06:58 AM
Good Luck Leslie! I told everyone at the dog park yesterday, it is a good ting you live in Texas and not Michigan anymore, or that dog would be living here by now! I just think my dogs will be dealing with enough change having a baby arrive in 2 months, that adding apuppy right now is not a good idea, Riley is such a cutie, I sure wish I could!!!

AdoreMyDogs
09-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Still not a single call about Riley :( It's been one full week that he's been here now. I don't get it, he's the best puppy ever :( If you wouldn't mind sending positive thoughts/prayers that Riley finds his perfect home.

chocolatepuppy
09-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Pawsitive thoughts and prayers that Riley finds his forever home.:)

Karen
09-06-2011, 04:51 PM
If you wouldn't mind sending positive thoughts/prayers that Riley finds his perfect home.

I will!

Lady's Human
09-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Mmmmmmphfff....

ain't sayin nothin.........hope the guy finds a home....SOON! (before he winds up a damned yankee)

sumbirdy
09-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Has Riley found a home yet? Are they any other shelters besides the Humane Society around? I'm sending good thoughts out for him and I hope he finds a home soon (if he hasn't already) I can't stand the thought of any puppy being PTS, they've just barely begun life. I hope everything works out, he sure is cute!

lizbud
09-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Just checking in to see if there's any good news yet. And also to see
those cute pictures of the pup & kids. He sure seems quite at home around
children, (and they him):) Good luck little buddy. Praying for you.:)

AdoreMyDogs
09-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Not a single person interested in Riley yet. I don't get it. I'd KILL for a dog this good if I didn't already have 2 big dogs. I've put so much work into him, completely house training him and crate training him. I want to find him a home that he's as appreciated as he deserves to be :(

Lady's Human
09-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Any updates on the guy?

Karen
09-23-2011, 06:09 PM
She just posted over on Facebook that I think he's got a new home and was heading there yesterday!

AdoreMyDogs
09-25-2011, 06:59 PM
I had several people interested in Riley, but ultimately chose this wonderful family that lives near the Air Force Base. They LOOOOVE him, and he loves them too! It was a really great match and I'm so happy for him. Letting him go was harder then I thought it would be, but I had him for nearly 4 weeks so we got pretty bonded.

The best part is that they Facebook friended me and we are going to always keep in touch, and I will puppy-sit when the go out of town on the occational weekend. Yay! I'm happy for him, and it's nice having things back to normal here. He was an exceptionally easy puppy, but he was a puppy just the same. Puppies are wonderful but a PAIN *giggle*.

He's going to be neutered tomorrow, so if you could spare some good thoughts I'd appreciate it.

sasvermont
09-25-2011, 08:05 PM
I am so glad you found just the perfect family for your pupster. Isn't it a good feeling? I am so happy for you that they will keep you updated and will have you dog sit while they travel. It will reassure you that you did the right thing.

I am most happy for Riley. He deserves the best. Don't they all? Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if all the pets out there had great homes. I know my pets are treated like royalty for the most part. I just assume everyone treats their pets nicely.

Thanks for taking him in and seeing that he had a new and great home!

Cheers!

chocolatepuppy
09-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Yay! Riley has a home!:D Good for you for helping him!:)

Freedom
09-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Letting him go was harder then I thought it would be, but I had him for nearly 4 weeks so we got pretty bonded.

Hooray for Riley, a home to call his own! And KIDS, he loves those, he hee.

You done good. :love:

krazyaboutkatz
09-26-2011, 12:06 AM
This is wonderful news.:D