PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on mold issues

Taz_Zoee
09-01-2011, 01:12 PM
My co-worker/friend is having a problem. Her mom lives in a house that she is sure is full of mold. Only her mom doesn't want to cause a problem with the owner of the house because she doesn't want to have to find another place to live. :rolleyes:
Here is the biggest problem with all of this. Living in this house is her mother, her sister (with her 3 year old daughter), her brother (his wife and their two sons). Yesterday one of the nephews was in the hospital because he has a bad eye, ear and throat infection. My friend believes it is from living in the house with mold.

So, my question is.....what can my friend do about this since her mother (and all the other adults in the house) will not do anything? She knows what ever she does is going to make her mom mad, but at this point she doesn't care because she just wants to get them OUT of that place.
She has called a company that will go out and do an inspection. But then what does she do with that? Send a letter to the owners? We have all kinds of ideas, but we aren't sure what is the best approach.

Has anyone had experience with something like this before? Any ideas would be appreciated. :)
Thanks!

Karen
09-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Have the inspection done, and send the results to the building owner so he can have the mold removed.

Marigold2
09-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Mold is nothing to ignore.. The health concerns especially for the child are of the upmost importance. Mold can kill.

Taz_Zoee
09-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the responses.
Yes, she is having the inspection done. And luckily since we are sort of in the line of work where we use this type of business, she is getting the visual inspection done for free and if they feel an air test needs to be done (which I'm sure it does) she will have to pay for that. We want to have sufficient evidence to present to the owner of the house. And my friend is willing to cover the cost of the air testing, for the health of her family.
Her older sister is going to take the blame for it. Her mom will not be as hard on her older sister like she would her. Plus her sister lives farther away from her.
I will update as things progress. The testing should be done early next week.
:)