PDA

View Full Version : Cruella D'ville Owns a Papillon, anyone else?

Sophies Daddy
11-23-2000, 11:51 AM
I recently read an article in the Chicago Tribune about Glenn Close (i.e. Cruella of the 10X Dalmations movies) and her new papillon Petey Petit. The article demonstrated that, though Cruella may want to make a coat out of a dog, her real life persona loves them.

Am I the only papillon person in this discussion group? I was steered to Dog of the Day because of another pap someone told me about some time ago, but you don't really know if they read the discussions or not. Most of the papillon discussion people seem to be on the PAP-L e-mail discussion group that the PCA (Papillon Club of America) puts out. If there is anyone else out there reading these groups, let me know!

dogncatluvr
11-23-2000, 12:13 PM
Sophie's Daddy,

I own Labs, but my small dog of choice would be a Papillon. Does that count? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

lhg0962
11-24-2000, 05:31 PM
Is it a Pappilion in the new movie? I thought it was a Mexican Hairless! Correct me please so I can straighten it out with my child and her cousins. We saw 102 Dalmations last night and loved it!

RachelJ
11-24-2000, 07:45 PM
I haven't seen the movie yet but I want to. What Sophie's Daddy is referring to is that the actress, Glen Close, in her real (not reel) life just got a Papillion.

Sophies Daddy
11-25-2000, 10:31 AM
Yes, alas, while I would love to see more Papillons in the movies, they just aren't popular or odd looking enough to get chosen very often... There was one movie, however, where a woman answers a door surrounded by a crowd of Papillons. I saw the movie a long time ago and at the time I didn't know what a Papillon was. The movie came out sometime in the last 20 years, probably sometime in the last 10. It was one of those "When Harry Met Sally" types of films.

Anyone know what movie I'm talking about? It was really popular, but I can't remember what it was.

Dogncatluvr, every loving intention counts. If you should ever get another dog, get the Papillon. They are such a joy to have around!

SheltieLover234
11-25-2000, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Sophies Daddy:
Yes, alas, while I would love to see more Papillons in the movies, they just aren't popular or odd looking enough to get chosen very often... There was one movie, however, where a woman answers a door surrounded by a crowd of Papillons. I saw the movie a long time ago and at the time I didn't know what a Papillon was. The movie came out sometime in the last 20 years, probably sometime in the last 10. It was one of those "When Harry Met Sally" types of films.

Anyone know what movie I'm talking about? It was really popular, but I can't remember what it was.

Dogncatluvr, every loving intention counts. If you should ever get another dog, get the Papillon. They are such a joy to have around!

Well Sophies Daddy I have a friend you would LOVE just like you she Loves Papillons once she had 7 and now she has 6 because one died http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gifone of them is about to have puppies next week ,and all of her dogs are the sweetest things!!! And also I think they should have them in more movies because their ears are sooo cute http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Sophies Daddy
11-25-2000, 11:16 PM
Very rarely have I heard of any Papillon that are not the sweetest things! They are such wonderful lively and lovely dogs it is amazing to me that they are not more popular. Their ears are beautiful and they have so much more to offer.

dogncatluvr
11-26-2000, 09:49 AM
Sophie's Daddy,

My next dog will be an ex-racing greyhound, I'm already decided on that. But maybe when I'm old, and can't walk the big dogs anymore??? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

RachelJ
11-26-2000, 10:35 AM
I recently saw that Papillions were one of the breeds that didn't shed very much. Sophie's Daddy, is this true?

ktreva52
11-26-2000, 02:07 PM
I've seen many a Papillon go Best of Show at dog shows and think they're just too cute with their little shoe-button eyes and powderpuff coats. And attitudes -- they're pretty convinced they're the biggest dogs around. I'm just not into the coat care they require and prefer smooth-coated or easy grooming breeds like the JRT (wash 'n' wear dogs, I call 'em). Excellent luck with your doggies -- they really are too cute.

Sophies Daddy
11-26-2000, 09:15 PM
Rachel,

Papillons do not have an undercoat so they do not generally go through a massive seasonal shed like most non-terriers, but they do shed some fur year-round the same as any dog and a little bit more for two weeks in fall and spring. A quick brushing with a slicker brush every two or three days during peak periods in fall and spring(and I do mean quick: they only take about five minutes to brush) will keep the hair from flying too much. The rest of the year, a brushing once a week will remove most of the dead hair. Even so, the fur is very soft and flexible which keeps it from weaving into your clothing, furniture or carpet. A lint brush or vacuum cleaner makes short work of getting the remainder. They do not have a doggie odor, have very little dander, and produce less oils than most other dogs making them much more tolerable for most alergy sufferers.

Ktreva52,

When it comes to grooming, the Papillon is almost as wash and wear as the JRT! They keep themselves very clean and, because they do not have an undercoat and do shed slightly, they generally do not get matted like many "shed-free" terriers (the longer haired and curly haired varieties). Only their ear fringes, which are retained more than other hair on their bodies, require any special attention. Once a month, the fringes should get a thorough brushing. Sophie has only been to a groomer three times since I adopted her and all three times were for baths I was too lazy to give her. The rest of the time I have bathed her. Her fur has only been cut five times in two years in strategic places and these trimmings were to keep her from urinating on her leg fringes. I have done the trimming each time. There is very little coat care necessary for this breed and this is one more thing that makes the breed wonderful!

[This message has been edited by Sophies Daddy (edited November 26, 2000).]

Sophies Daddy
11-26-2000, 09:16 PM
By the way, any luck out there regarding the crowd of Papillons movie? I am still trying to figure out which one it was.

karen israel
11-27-2000, 08:05 AM
Hi Sophie's Dad..funny you should post this topic..I thought of you this weekend. A local crafts/toy store has stuffed dogs in the window, actual life size of almost every breed imaginable-it's amazing, and there was the Papillon, on a pillow, staring right at me! I said to myself,"Hi Sophie!"!!! Yes, I read about Glenn Close's Papillon too! And thought about you! What good taste she has!
Kisses to the little honey.

Peaches n Apache
11-29-2000, 05:14 PM
Sophies Daddy,

I am not sure but I think the dog (Fluffy) is a Chinese Crested.

Sophies Daddy
11-29-2000, 06:01 PM
Oops,

The movie that I'm looking for is not 102 or 101 Dalmations (or damnations as the dalmation owners in our club lovingly call their dogs). I am looking for a movie from the late eighties, early nineties. This movie was in the same genera as "When Harry Met Sally" or "Sleepless in Seattle" and probably came out at about the same time.

In the movie I'm looking for, someone's mother answers the door surrounded by a crowd of Papillons. I can't remember the name of the movie and I hope that someone out there knows what I'm talking about.

Thanks.

AdoreMyDogs
12-02-2000, 11:34 PM
Hi Sophies Daddy,

I am sorry, I don't have the name of that movie. I don't think I have ever seen it, otherwise I would have remembered it if it had dogs in it http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

I am actually writing because I wanted to tell you something: You may have learned that I started my dog in agility not too long ago. I go to beginner class early every week and watch the advanced class that starts before my class starts, and there are 2 papillions in that advanced class. I think of you because, although I only know of you from this site, you are the only person I have ever known who owns, and speaks highly of papillions. I was curious to see what other papillion owners thought about the breed and I could not have had a more wonderful description of the breed!

First of all, the papillions are WONDERFUL in agility! They are so cute, fast, graceful and obedient. The papillions are better then any of the other dogs in that class. I never thought they were such a smart breed before I started visiting Pet Talk and learned about you and your little Sophie. On Thursday night before my class started, and as soon as the advanced class ended, I stopped the nice lady with the cutest of the 2 papillions and, first complemented her on her dog's wonderful performance, allertness, and flawlessness, then asked her about the breed in general....here's what she said: "they are so amazingly smart, easy to train, eager to please and adorable, it's a shock more people don't own them. Sometimes they are so smart, they learn quicker then their owners, so the owners have to pay close attention when training so that the dog does not out-smart them." She said her friends often ask her how a dog can be so smart, so obedient, and so adorable together...usually it's either give-or-take with those little guys. She said that the papillions are one of the smartest, easiest to train of all the toy breeds. I have a huge respect for the breed now. I now know that they are not just all looks, there's really a huge brain in that beautiful little head of theirs.

I just thought you'd like to hear about other nice papillion stories. I am in no position to get another dog, nor do I have the desire, I love my 2 babies, but I am pretty sure the papillion will be my next toy breed. My hubby came to the agility class this past Thursday, pointed a finger at the smallest, quickest papillion, and said, "oh my gosh, what IS that adorable thing?" His fav. breed is the GSD, but he melted when he saw the adorable papillions http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif He has a soft spot for small dogs, and YUP he stated that that was the most adorable toy breed he's ever seen (no offence to my pug Cassie, she's as cute as a button but she does not compare to a papillion to my hubby's eyes...don't tell her I told you that tho http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif )

Just thought I'd share some good thoughts on papillions.

-Leslie

SheltieLover234
12-03-2000, 07:20 AM
Well sorry i`m not sure about that movie ethier but I wanted to say something about AdoreMyDogs comment :That woman was right my friends Papillons are so very smart,obediant,and even though they are small they have the spirt of big dogs!!!

Sophies Daddy
12-05-2000, 05:09 PM
AdoreMyDogs and SheltieLover234,

Thank you for the wonderful info! Sheltielover has previously mentioned her(?) friend's papillons as wonderful dogs and it's fantastic to hear about more from AdoreMyDogs.

I agree with the woman at the agility class that "it's a shock that more people don't own them." Papillons are the number one toy breed in obedience competition as well as doing extremely well in agility. They love to have fun and love to please; after all, fun and pleasing their owners means that they get more attention! The breed is very well known breed in both obedience and agility circles. There is even a popular series of obedience books and videos by Gerianne Darnell and Barbara Cecil titled "Small Dog Fun: Competing with a Small Dog" that has a papillon on every cover (same dog, all different topics). There are many papillons that have multiple titles including conformation (beauty), obedience, agility, and tracking. I don't have time to take Sophie through all of that (and she couldn't do conformation because she is a rescue without a confirmed pedigree), but I have no doubt that she could do it all.

Papillons have even become service dogs for the disabled! Some of you may have seen the television special that highlighted a serice papillon that assisted a woman who was confined to a wheelchair. The dog did all kinds of daily chores including taking her clothes out of the washer and dryer.

They are incredibly smart and wonderful dogs. They are good with kids (as long as the kids don't try to break them) and people, they don't have a high-pitched "yappy" bark, they fit in your lap and want to be there,...wow, I could go on for hours singing their praises!

ktreva52
12-07-2000, 11:19 PM
Gee, Dad, too bad you don't care for the breed http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif. I stand corrected on the coat care. I have only been able to observe it at shows and they exaggerate EVERYTHING at the shows. Pity they aren't approved for go-to-ground, that would be fantastic to watch. Bet they're tough little guys.

Do you remember anything more from that movie, like who was in it or anything? Blockbuster (I think it is) has a listing of movies you can look at (in a book) and find all kinds of information about any specific movie, but you have to have more information, I think. Still, you might see if there's a topic of "animals in the movies" or some such. Good luck on your search.

Sophies Daddy
12-08-2000, 08:07 PM
I think I found it! I posted a message to the Papillon discussion page, PAP-L, and got several responses.

It appears that the movie is "Heaven and Earth" with Tommy Lee Jones. In the movie, the dogs belong to his mother and he describes them as "the butt-ugliest dogs in the world." Now I am really interested because the movie is not of the type I expected and I am dying to see what an ugly papillon looks like!

I was also informed that there was a papillon in the original Glen Close 101 Dalmations and possibly in the music video "Who Let The Dogs Out." Any opinions?

lhg0962
01-03-2001, 08:39 AM
I thought of this post when I just saw Glenn Close and Petey on Regis this morning! He is just precious! Those ears make him look like a gremlin!

Sophies Daddy
01-05-2001, 04:38 PM
Guess what? There is a Papillon in the new movie "Family Man." I have yet to see the movie, but the PAP-L discussion forum had some brags about it from the owner. If anyone has seen it, please let me know!