PDA

View Full Version : The Great Haggis Feast

momcat
08-31-2011, 07:59 AM
Hi fellow kitties!
I hope all of you are okay after the events of last week. Can you imagine an earthquake then a hurricane within a few days of each other?

Anyway, September 17 is "The Great Haggis Feast", an event that we simply cannot ignore. Trenton's Haggis In A Hurry Shoppe has been working on this for several weeks now. Spencer, the manager, said his staff has been meeting every few days to make sure everything is purrfect.

This year the Feast falls on a Saturday so we can make plans for an extended weekend. After last week we can all use a relaxing get-away. Some areas in Trenton are still flooded from the hurricane so Spencer and I will be joining with a few from his staff to see if we can find a nice spot around here to hold the festivities.

We do have a couple of weeks but plans have to be made soon. Get your tartans ready and find your sunglasses! As soon as you can, check in and let us know you're coming.

Your friend,
Groucho

catmandu
08-31-2011, 09:17 AM
Haggis is an aquired taste, many who are not Scottish find its somewhat spicy.
But Our Scottish Awesome Angels will help those who are not sure , and eventually most Angels learn to love it.
We wish we could make it for some!!!:cool:

slick
08-31-2011, 10:11 AM
Merlin has been acting strangly since arriving home from the last trip. He has not revealed anything :eek: yet he walks around with a smile on his face, that is when he's not pretending to be snoozing.

When I get home tonight I'll try and talk to him again. I'm sure as soon as I mention the word haggis, he'll have his bags packed.

dehlers43
08-31-2011, 11:12 AM
Franklin has been acting strangely too....he's been moping around the house, not his usual self. I get the feeling he has become smitten with someone who doesn't feel the same way about him......young love can be so dramatic:rolleyes:

Karen
08-31-2011, 11:46 AM
I have had haggis, one bite, when I was in Glasgow, and I did not find it too spicy! My former boss retired back home to Scotland, so I took the train up from London to visit with his family, and when we went put to dinner, his wife ordered haggis just so I could have a taste, and therefore say I have truly been to Scotland! She said she orders it when they go out, as it takes a while to make, and is a lot of fuss and bother for just the two of them, now that the children are grown!

cassiesmom
08-31-2011, 05:12 PM
Oh, goody! Cassie is looking forward to seeing her Catmobile friends again! We'll have her kilt cleaned.

momcat
08-31-2011, 08:12 PM
I have had haggis, one bite, when I was in Glasgow, and I did not find it too spicy! My former boss retired back home to Scotland, so I took the train up from London to visit with his family, and when we went put to dinner, his wife ordered haggis just so I could have a taste, and therefore say I have truly been to Scotland! She said she orders it when they go out, as it takes a while to make, and is a lot of fuss and bother for just the two of them, now that the children are grown!

Hi Karen,
My grandmother was born and grew up in Dundee and took me over with her several years ago. While there I had haggis and really liked it, I didn't find it all that spicey either. Back then I had a purebred Scottish Terrier who was registered with the AKC as "Haggis MacPhearson". My grandmother loved him and while in Scotland we went to a tartan shop where Granny bought a piece of the MacPhearson tartan. When I got home, my Mom made a doggie coat with it. When I took Haggis for a walk wearing the coat, he'd proudly strut along as if he knew he was wearing HIS tartan. I'd love to go back there!

phesina
09-03-2011, 05:48 PM
My crew are all eagerly looking forward to the Great Haggis Feast!

The students are back in town!!! Classes start up at U-M and other nearby colleges and universities next week. Ann Arbor's Haggis in a Hurry Shoppe is giving a Free Sample Pack to EVERY new or returning student. How's that for a P.R. coup!

And today is opening day of the college football season. Michigan is playing Western Michigan here in the Big House (the U-M stadium). Sydney, Bob, and Sparkler of course performed the National Anthem and put on the Halftime Show.. and they pipe "Hail to the Victors" while Sparkler dances each time the Wolverines score. They are ahead, 34-10, at this point.

A sudden rainstorm has interrupted the game, so the TV coverage switched to.. USC!!, as Ming, Franklin, and Traveler provide the same services for THEIR beloved team.. and USC has just defeated Minnesota by two points!

momcat
09-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Hi fellow kitties,
The Haggis In A Hurry staff and I have been looking for a nice place to celebrate the Great Haggis Feast. We're hoping for an outdoor celebration but some areas of Trenton are still having flood water from the hurricane and there are still a few places that don't have power back yet. Right now we're considering the animal friendly courtyard where Meowmie works. It's big enough for all of us, has trees & grass, and it also has a few picnic tables. Spencer is thinking about cutting a deal with the owners of The Eatery to use their kitchen. Nothing is definite on the location but I'll keep you updated. Another possibility is the Horse Park where we can visit some of our horsie friends. If any of you have a preference, post in and let us know.

Your friend,
Groucho

momoffuzzyfaces
09-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Angel and Winnie are already sorting what to bring and starting to pack!!! :D

Chip and Chuck will be allowed to come too but only if they PROMISE to be on their very best behavior. Besides I want them to keep an eye on Angel. Curiosity drives a meowmy nuts!!!! ;):love:

Frankie can't wait until he is old enough to come. I told him after his first birthday, we will see.

cassiesmom
09-05-2011, 07:23 PM
Hi fellow kitties,
The Haggis In A Hurry staff and I have been looking for a nice place to celebrate the Great Haggis Feast. We're hoping for an outdoor celebration but some areas of Trenton are still having flood water from the hurricane and there are still a few places that don't have power back yet. Right now we're considering the animal friendly courtyard where Meowmie works. It's big enough for all of us, has trees & grass, and it also has a few picnic tables. Spencer is thinking about cutting a deal with the owners of The Eatery to use their kitchen. Nothing is definite on the location but I'll keep you updated. Another possibility is the Horse Park where we can visit some of our horsie friends. If any of you have a preference, post in and let us know.

Your friend,
Groucho

Dear Groucho,

The courtyard sounds lovely. I think it would be very nice to visit the horsies if time permits. It would be very kind of your friends to let us use their kitchen too. Which ever one works out the best.

Purrs,
Cassie

Pinot's Mom
09-05-2011, 09:04 PM
I am posting on behalf of CoPilot Pinot. She will have to hold off on her RSVP until she's feeling better. Right now she's in no condition to travel. I'll keep her updated and she'll hopefully be back in her seat for the trip.

momcat
09-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Hi Pinot,
I just saw your Meowmie's message. Are you okay? Is there anything your Catmobile friends can do for you? We're looking forward to your ace co-piloting skills and your company for the Feast. Please let us know how you're doing, okay?

Your friend,
Groucho

Pinot's Mom
09-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Pinot's a bit better today; we'll keep you posted. Thanks!

momcat
09-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Hi fellow kitties,
First of all, how are you feeling Pinot? I hope you're better and will be joining us for the Great Haggis Feast next week.

Well, it looks like we may have to do our celebration somewhere else. Conditions in Trenton and many parts of New Jersey are not good. There has been so much rain that there's lots of floods, roads are closed and getting around the area is very hard. Part of a major highway here collapsed from the floods, there are a lot of detours because the floods are so bad. Yesterday morning one of Meowmie's friends at work had to leave because where she lives was being evacuated. The news reports are saying even more rain is on the way.

If anyone has a suggestion or an idea of where we can celebrate, please post in. Our celebration will not be cancelled!

Your friend,
Groucho

phesina
09-09-2011, 05:00 PM
How about Ann Arbor? The Haggis in a Hurry Shoppe here was already planning a local celebration for those who can't get to Trenton.. and the Mayor and City Council have already declared September to be Official Haggis MONTH here!

momcat
09-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Oh thank you, Auntie Phesina! This celebration is something that we simply cannot pass up. Travel plans will have to be made within the next few days since the Great Haggis Feast is a week from tomorrow. If we move it to Ann Arbor everybody can come. Still no word from Pinot if she can make it so I'll call Cassie to see if she's our stand-by copilot.

What do all of you think about this, fellow kitties? This is such a kind and thoughtful offer. Please check in within the next 2 or 3 days, we have plans to make!

Sending you purrs and kitty hugs, Auntie Phesina :love: :love: :love:

Your friend,
Groucho

phesina
09-09-2011, 07:59 PM
We can probably get the Michigan Stadium again, if there isn't a home game that day. Otherwise there are several really nice big parks in Ann Arbor.

There will most likely be very high attendance for the Haggis Feast. I read recently in the local news that the admissions people at the University have been marveling at the great increase in the number of Scottish students applying for admission in the last few years.. more every year. The Haggis in a Hurry Shoppe is home away from home for them!

cassiesmom
09-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Cassie is happy to serve as stand-by pilot! She is trying to figure out a way for the kitties to check in on Pinot via Skype. Auntie Phesina, do you think the University of Michigan or Ann Arbor will have mounted police on duty? She still wants to see horsies if that is an option.

phesina
09-10-2011, 06:51 AM
Hmmm ... I don't know if there are mounted police around here or not.. I'll have to see what I can find out about horsies for the kitties to meet up with.

momoffuzzyfaces
09-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Winnie, Angel, Chip and Chuck are all packed and ready to go as soon as plans are finalized. They can hardly wait to see all their friends again. We all send extra luvies to Pinot and hope she feels better soon. :love:

phesina
09-10-2011, 01:43 PM
I haven't found out yet about any local mounted police.. but I did find a place that rents out horses and carriages: http://www.annarborcarriage.com/

Since our kittie-couples had such nice trips in horse-drawn buggies in Kansas, I bet they would love to do it again! And just think, I bet Traveler would love to come along too, now that he is an experienced carriage puller!

Pinot's Mom
09-10-2011, 10:00 PM
I had a conversation with Pinot; she would be glad for Cassie to fill in on this trip, even if she does make it. She's had a bit of rough go of it and would love to have a no pressure trip. I think that's the only way I would allow her on this one. It's still not 100% - Cassie, let her know the day of departure so we can be positive. She would hate to miss a trip!

katladyd
09-11-2011, 12:28 AM
My boys are packed and ready to go. They just need to know the final destintion. They all send a "Feel Better Soon!" to Pinot.:)

momcat
09-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Hi fellow kitties,
Well, it looks like we'll be celebrating the Great Haggis Feast in Ann Arbor this time. Cassie will be our co-pilot since Pinot will be joining us for some R&R. The local Jaguar dealer said the Catmobile will be ready and at my front porch Wednesday afternoon. Cassie, should we plan to head out Thursday morning? Be sure to let us know.

Also, we need a final count of who's coming. Soncat has been asking me how many cheezburgers to order and Meowmie doesn't want to wait until the last minute to order the crab legs, ribs, lobster, and shrimp. Spencer, of the Trenton Haggis In A Hurry Shoppe, will also be providing a travel buffet for the trip.

Those of you coming by plane can arrive at Newark or Philadelphia airport, the Catmobile will pick you up there. Train travellers can get the Amtrack to the train station in Trenton where you'll be met by the Catmobile. As always, you're welcome to stay at my place until it's time to leave. And please assure your purrents that our part of Trenton is away from the Delaware River and we don't live in the flood zone.

It's still not too late for those of you who haven't checked in yet. Everyone is welcome to come and we do want to see all of you. Cassie, I'll call you on your cell phone after dinner about the route and pick up stops. We might have to check in with Pinot about the maps and GPS.

Your friend,
Groucho

phesina
09-11-2011, 07:26 PM
The stadium is being used that day (they have a game), so I thought we might celebrate the Great Haggis Feast in Gallup Park, along the Huron River.. http://www.a2gov.org/government/communityservices/ParksandRecreation/parks/Features/Pages/Gallup.aspx

How does that sound, kitties?

It's a very romantic place for kitty couples to go on carriage rides.. and there is also a canoe livery for those kitties who prefer to be on the water with their loves.

Traveler said he would love to come and pull carriages carrying romantically-inclined feline couples, but he also has a game that day.. USC vs. Syracuse. Unlike cats, horsies have to WORK for their living!

Aside from the carriage-rental place, there are also many riding stables and horse-boarding places and farms not far away, FULL of horsies, nearby! We can hire some to come join us, or we can go visit them, so let us know what you would like to do, Catmobilers!

The Haggis in a Hurry Shoppe Home Office management have assured me that they will have plenty of food stands and personnel on hand, wherever we decide to have our gathering!

You kitties coming from the east now all know where to meet up with the Catmobile.. Just give Groucho the details.

To those in the Midwest or farther west: Ann Arbor is on I-94 and the railroad line between Chicago and Detroit, and it's also very close to Detroit Metropolitan Airport.. so those of you coming from other directions might want to keep that in mind. The Catmobile can perhaps stop at Metro Airport and then the Ann Arbor train station to pick you up there?

And of course, you can all stay with us at Meowmie's apartment (won't she be so happily surprised?!) overnight or longer... so be prepared to PARTY PARTY PARTY as only cats can do!!!!!!

Pinot's Mom
09-11-2011, 08:40 PM
I've been given the green light for my R&R trip! When do we meet?:D

phesina
09-12-2011, 04:31 AM
Oh, that's just wonderful, Pinot! We are so glad you will be coming along! All your friends will do all we can to help you get the rest and relaxation you need.

Purrs and :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

momoffuzzyfaces
09-12-2011, 12:46 PM
My gang will be hoping a flight with the friend who helped them in the past. They will be landing at the Detroit Metro Airport. Can the Catmobile pick them up there? They will get there on Wednesday. They want a little time to visit with their friends before all the festivities begin. :love:

katladyd
09-12-2011, 02:17 PM
My boys are Amtraking it to Detroit, all the way to Trenton and then to Ann Arbor is just too far for Ming to ship his harp AND his bagpipes. I used to live there and I have friends who still live there who will put them up. They will join the other kitties when they get to Michigan. They will also get there on Wednesday. Maybe they can meet up with the Kansas crew?

phesina
09-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Okay, sounds like the kitties coming to meet the Catmobile on the East Coast should get there Tuesday or early Wednesday... Then the Catmobile can be on the road to arrive at Detroit Metro on Wednesday to pick up the kitties flying in from points west or south or north..

For kitties Amtraking from Chicago and points west, the train going from Chicago to Detroit stops in Ann Arbor just BEFORE getting to Detroit.. so you folks can all get off at the A2 Train Station on Wednesday afternoon for the Catmobile to pick you up there!

All you Ohio and points-south kitties, the train stop before Ann Arbor is Toledo, we think.. or maybe you have to go from Toledo to Detroit and then Ann Arbor. MANY years ago Meowmie took Amtrak from Boston to Detroit to visit her family in Dearborn, and as she recalls she got off in Toledo and then took another train north to Detroit (which then swung over to Dearborn, where she got off, and then Ann Arbor on its way to Chicago).

Kitties coming from Canada by train or car.. crossings into US at Windsor-Detroit, Sarnia-Port Huron, Sault Ste. Marie (ON)-Sault Ste. Marie (MI).. YOU NEED YOUR PASSPORTS, or at least one of the few types of alternate allowable documentation. (If you are flying from Canada, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZfbTlYpKYo for more information.. [note that this applies to ALL humans entering but maybe not to cats]).

You can of course all stay with us.. the more the merrier! Meowmie will be just SO happily surprised and excited!

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, we can check out Gallup Park, visit nearby stables and farms to meet horsies, consider how many carriages for how many romantically-inclined couples we need to arrange for..

OR.. HOW ABOUT THIS for a fabulous side trip since we'll have these extra days.. Located in the Straits of Mackinac between Lake Huron and Lake Michigan, between the Lower Peninsula and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.. is Mackinac Island.. on which CARS AND OTHER MOTORIZED TRANSPORT ARE NOT ALLOWED:

From http://mackinac.com/content/general/about.html - 'Mackinac Island is the truly "all natural" theme park of America. Limited to transportation of horse and buggy, bicycle or foot, surrounded by water, it has escaped the vast changes of time.'

Just THINK of all the HORSIES .. maybe Traveler could even join us there before he has to get back for his game on Saturday!

Anyway, so we should get back to Ann Arbor by late Friday or early Saturday..

Meowmie is checking with Haggis in a Hurry World Headquarters here on the schedule for The Great Haggis Feast Day, on Saturday, Sept. 17.. Since September is Official Haggis MONTH in Ann Arbor, big festivities are planned!

momcat
09-12-2011, 06:28 PM
My gang will be hoping a flight with the friend who helped them in the past. They will be landing at the Detroit Metro Airport. Can the Catmobile pick them up there? They will get there on Wednesday. They want a little time to visit with their friends before all the festivities begin. :love:

Hi Miss MoFF,
Of course the Catmobile will pick them up there! Tell your crew that their kitty friends can come too!

Okay fellow kitties, After reading the post from Auntie Phesina I called the local Jaguar dealer. The Catmobile will be here ready to go tomorrow afternoon. Soncat will help me pack it up then we can leave on Wednesday, the earlier the better. Everyone is welcome to stay at my place.

There's still time to join in so be sure to call Cassie or me and let us know where we should pick you up.

Your friend,
Groucho

slick
09-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Mr. Merlin is ready to go and he has his passport packed. He hardly slept last night for thinking about his sweetheart, Sparkler. :love: I'm dropping him off at the train station tomorrow morning on the way to work.

My apartment will seem so empty... **sigh**:( but I know that he will have a good time.

Oh yes and he has a blackberry now so hopefully he will take pictures along the way and email them to me - that is, if he's not too busy partying.

Pinot's Mom
09-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Hi everybody! Sorry my Catberry has been silent lately; Mom doesn't let me use it when I'm under the weather. We just got back in from a deck romp, I have a full clearance for my R&R trip. Cassie; I know you'll do just fine in my seat! ;)

I'll join y'all Wednesday morning with a special treat from the Haggis in a Hurry Ellicott City store! See you soon!:cool:

Purrs, Pinot

cassiesmom
09-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Cassie will go from Midway, which is how we have done it before. Her kilt is back from the cleaner's and it looks really good!

phesina
09-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Mr. Merlin is ready to go and he has his passport packed. He hardly slept last night for thinking about his sweetheart, Sparkler. :love: I'm dropping him off at the train station tomorrow morning on the way to work.

My apartment will seem so empty... **sigh**:( but I know that he will have a good time.

Oh yes and he has a blackberry now so hopefully he will take pictures along the way and email them to me - that is, if he's not too busy partying.

Oh, my dearest Merlin.. I am so looking forward to being with you again!

Love from your adoring Sparkler :love::love::love:
http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=100&pictureid=4677

phesina
09-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Another place for all you kitties AND Angels coming to town to check out while you're here:

The Real Seafood restaurant in Ann Arbor serves FABULOUS, DELICIOUS seafood meals (http://www.opentable.com/real-seafood-company-ann-arbor)! Our Meowmie had a wonderful Lake Superior Whitefish dinner there for her birthday this year.

And in fact they will be catering a Special Banquet Saturday night (to go along with all the haggis) for the Catmobilers!

katladyd
09-13-2011, 12:50 PM
I have lived in Detroit a couple of times and I told the boys that they just HAD to go to Mackinac Island, the prettiest place in all of Michigan! Mac thinks they named it after him, so he is going to be a bit delusional this trip. I hope this doesn't upset the other kitties. Once he gets an idea in his head, there's no changing his mind.:rolleyes:

momcat
09-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Well, the kitties are on their way. As I was having my coffee before leaving for work they each came, gave me a kitty kiss and said, "We be good". I did remind each of them to be sure and check in with their purrents.

Their first stop will be at Trenton's Haggis In A Hurry Shoppe for some breakfast while the staff sets up the buffet in the Catmobile. From there it's on to Ellicot City for Pinot.

It was a pleasure having them here last night. They played an exciting game of kibble soccer then searched for the carpet gator. Everyone was asleep early.

Please check in and let us know if you hear from your voyager?

phesina
09-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Kitties, How's THIS for a plan?!!! --

We all arrive in Michigan today, picking up kitties along the way.. then stopping at Metro Airport and then the Ann Arbor Train Station picking up the kitties arriving by air or rail -- then we come to our house for an evening of R&R AND haggis..

Then tomorrow morning the Catmobile heads north to Mackinaw City at the tip of the mitten of the Lower Peninsula.. then we're all aboard the specially chartered ferry just for us, off to.... MACKINAC ISLAND!!!!! (The Catmobile will be parked at the ferry dock to await our return, since it can't come to the Island.)

And.. here's another surprise: Guess who is joining us: TRAVELER!!! He was so excited to hear about Mackinac Island, he booked the red-eye from L.A. and is on his way! He is hoping to pull a few buggies-full of romantic kitty couples. He is bringing along a whole lot of USC horse blankets for his new horsie friends.

We have the entire Grand Hotel reserved JUST FOR US!!!!! (Previously-reserved guests were found alternate accommodation [where available; otherwise told they were S.O.L.].) Thursday and Friday, we explore the island, meet horsies, take horse-drawn carriages and buggies, check out Great Lakes fishies..

Friday we head back for Ann Arbor for Haggis Feast Day.. Traveler would love to join us for that too, but he must fly back to L.A. for his game Saturday.

Details of Haggis Day plans to follow soon...

Meowmie still doesn't know we are all coming today.. especially about Traveler coming too.. Isn't she in for JUST THE BIGGEST, HAPPIEST SURPRISE OF HER LIFE?!!!!!! We love to do things like this for her! :love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

momoffuzzyfaces
09-14-2011, 12:48 PM
My gang left in the wee hours of the morning chattering loud enough to wake any neighbor in 5 blocks of us. :D They should be in Detroit by now. The pilot is staying with them until the hook up with the other Catmobilers!!!

I hope they remember to bring Frankie a gift from their trip. He was so sad he couldn't go but he will be able to next spring when he is one. :love:

Pinot's Mom
09-14-2011, 05:26 PM
There was a message on my machine...
:)
"On the road again...just can't wait to get on the road again....music with my friends....just can't wait to get on the road again...." I think they forgot some words, but they sound like they're having fun already!

phesina
09-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Oh, you should have seen Meowmie when she got home... found our entire 2-room apartment just FULL of kitties... two more sets of bagpipes (besides the two already here) AND a harp... and a HORSE!

She was so excited, so HAPPY, she burst right into tears!!!!

She sobbed "Looks like a quick trip to Meijers is in order.. they're open all the time and they have everything... gotta pick up a few cases of cat food and a bale of hay.. " And she was off again.

As soon as she left, we called Haggis In A Hurry to order a Special Delivery!

She'd been over to visit her sister before, and she didn't realize that Nelson had stowed away in her car when she came back home.. so HE is here with us now too, all set for the trip to Mackinac Island tomorrow!

We just LOVE to share all our good times with our beloved Meowmie!!!!!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

katladyd
09-15-2011, 01:58 AM
I'm sure she is just thrilled to have all of the kitties and A HORSE in the apartment!!! I know I would be beside myself!!!:rolleyes:

phesina
09-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Meowmie here.. Well, they're off, on their way to Mackinac Island now.. At last, maybe I will be able to get some sleep..

I just have to muck out the bathroom first. That served as Traveler's stall last night. The kitties had decided I could do without it: I could use one of their litterboxes as needed, and there's no reason I can't clean myself the same way they do themselves!

slick
09-15-2011, 03:53 PM
quick message from Merlin:

For Christmas I want some chaps

:eek:

katladyd
09-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Slick, consider yourself lucky, Kimba wants a horse!:eek:

cassiesmom
09-16-2011, 03:48 PM
text from Cassie:

Hi Meowm
We are on Mackinac Island and it is gorgeous! Have to go cos more kitties are arriving!
Lubz,
Cassie

phesina
09-16-2011, 06:59 PM
The gang got back this afternoon, after dropping Traveler off at the airport. They've just headed off to Real Seafood for dinner. Haggis Day is tomorrow!

They can't say enough about what a wonderful time they had! Such a beautiful place.. Fresh air, lots of sunshine, lots of water full of fishies to watch... and horsies! All around!

Carriage rides, buggy rides (and just WHO was that that jumped into a buggy with Nelson?).. And Bob and Elmer and Taccoa, to demonstrate that Cerebellar Hypoplasia doesn't have to keep you from doing what you want to do, all rode bareback!

Traveler had a wonderful time being part of carriage teams, pulling romantic two-cat buggies.. (and his word is mum on just WHO rode in which buggies). And all the Mackinac Island horsies now have their very own USC blankets to keep them warm come winter!

During the trip back, I'm told Traveler just went on and on about what a PERFECT, IDEAL place this was... No nasty-smelling fume-belching metal moving things, just horsies getting things done and getting people where they want to go. He wonders, WHY CAN'T L.A. BE RUN LIKE THIS????? He plans to start a petition drive when he gets back home.

The kitties strolled around the wraparound porch of the Grand Hotel (longest in the world!), napped on the porch railing, strolled around, ran, romped in the grass, explored the island, watched fishies in the water..

Last evening they put on a show for the local residents and other visitors, first with a Celtic piping and dancing performance which awed the crowd and moved them to tears. Then the square dancing began, with Nelson calling and Merlin and Sparkler starting the first square, and then everyone, feline and human, joined in on the fun!

They'll be talking about this on Mackinac Island for years!

Now the kitties are having a relaxing seafood dinner, and then they'll be all set for the festivities tomorrow! Even more fun coming... stay tuned....

phesina
09-17-2011, 07:39 AM
And MoFF, your kitties have gotten a catnip horsie for Frankie! They wanted to get him a box of Mackinac Island fudge, but they remembered that chocolate is bad for kitties.

momoffuzzyfaces
09-17-2011, 12:51 PM
And MoFF, your kitties have gotten a catnip horsie for Frankie! They wanted to get him a box of Mackinac Island fudge, but they remembered that chocolate is bad for kitties.

He will be thrilled. He loves catnitp and wouldn't like chocolate any way. :D :love:

I have no clue who Nelson took for a ride but don't think it was Angel. It was mentioned that he had a little heart throb before he even met her at her birthday party. The mystery deepens. :eek: :love:

momcat
09-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Pat, Please tell Traveler to post his petition here on PT. I definitely will sign it for him and I'm sure many others will too.

Groucho and Inka called a short while ago. Everyone looks great in their kilts, tartan collars, and sunglasses. They said the staff of the Haggis In A Hurry Shoppe World Headquarters have been busy cooking and preparing for the official Haggis Feast. Inka said the food smells wonderful and the lead chef has been explaining the cooking process step by step. Any kitty that wants to know the process is welcome in the kitchen area and the staff is having a lot of fun with them. Inka also said a few of the kitties have been taking notes and plan to try and make their own haggis at home. She wouldn't say who the kitty chefs are so Meowmies beware!

There is a slight problem though. While they were practicing for the after feast music concert, a string on Groucho's fiddle broke. Nobody knows where they can get a replacement and he's very upset about it. Ming offered to give Groucho a string from his harp but it wouldn't fit. Right now Cassie and the Catmobile driver are on the GPS looking for a store that sells fiddle strings. I do hope they can find one! Phesina, do you know of any place they might try?

Groucho did say the lady kitties went shopping this morning in search of something appropriate for Frankie.

The feast will be starting late this afternoon and knowing these kitties it should go well into the wee hours.

phesina
09-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Here's just the place for a new string for Groucho, if Cassie and the driver haven't found it already: Shar Music in Ann Arbor. Look at all the strings they have! Whichever one Groucho's heart desires is here - http://www.sharmusic.com/Shop-Shar/Strings/

But... I'm sorry to say.. I just got home and started catching up here at about 5:20pm.. and it looks like they just closed, at 5pm :(:mad:: http://www.sharmusic.com/Pages/Shar-Retail-Showroom/ ...

I'm so sorry! I hope Groucho did manage to get there today.

If not, Shar's will be open tomorrow (Sunday) noon to 4pm, if Groucho wants to pick one up before they leave, so he'll be all set for the next gig. He can also contact Shar's Customer Service people later or order the string to be shipped. Or I can pick it up for him and mail it home to him.

Maybe today he can just purr in the tones that string would be making?

phesina
09-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Meowmie here again: The Great Haggis Parade was this morning!

The Haggis in a Hurry Shoppe float, featuring a giant haggis, led the way.. followed by the world-renowned kitty bagpipers and dancer performing on another float, and the Catmobile right behind .. then by vast crowds of Scottish students in native garb from U-M and Eastern Michigan U. (next-door in Ypsilanti, and today's football opponents).. and all the other haggis enthusiasts from all around, not to mention all the kitty fans!

The parade began at the southeastern end of the U campus, wound through the central campus, then downtown, and on out to the football stadium.

The Haggis in a Hurry Shoppe of course had free samples all along the parade route and in the stands at the stadium, and they have the concession stands covered too. The Shoppe itself has been mobbed all day since it opened before dawn this morning, and they have a tent in front to be able to serve more customers. They'll be open all night tonight too!

Back to the football game: As usual, the pipers and dancer led the teams out onto the field and played the National Anthem before the game started. They performed the Halftime Show, as always. The Catmobilers of course had the whole luxury box area at the top of the stadium.

After the game ended (U-M won 31-3 :eek:), the Catmobile and other True Haggis Aficionados headed for Gallup Park, where the festivities continue with musical and dancing performances and celebrations of all sorts, and a Giant Haggis Cookout with feasting for all and plenty of Glenfiddich to wash it all down.. There are tents with all kinds of cat beds for those who would like to camp out at the park and/or spend some private time with their sweeties, and canoes available, and all kinds of birdies and wildlife to watch!

I will be heading back out there myself to join in the fun as soon as I finish this update.

Who knows how late the party will last, or how long I'll last for that matter, since I tend to crash out early.. All the better to get ready for whenever the exhausted Catmobilers return tonight or tomorrow morning.

Incidentally, what an absolute PLEASURE it was to have Traveler as a guest too the other night.. What utterly delightful company he is.

Though it's too bad a horse can't use a litter box like cats can. Then again.. when I think that through.. maybe it's better they don't. I hate to think of scooping that box! :eek::rolleyes::(

Then again.. cleaning up a bathroom after it's been a horse's stall all night is not a chore I want ever to repeat. :(:mad:

And I must say it certainly was ...different using a cat's litter box myself! (The cats insisted I scoop it after each use, too.) Fortunately I had gotten in a package of Baby Wipes to use as best I could for personal hygiene.

Well, stay tuned, haggis fans..

katladyd
09-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Oh, I dont want the cars here to go away! I love driving! Plus, there are several million commuters on our roads every day. Talk about a different kind of pollution if it were all horse driven! I love Traveler and all, but L.A. is not Mackinac Island. Who would clean all that stuff up?:eek: Mac still thinks they named the island after him. Silly boy!

phesina
09-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Well, the Catmobile is on its way, taking kitties to the train station or the airport or all the way home. My seven are fast asleep in little heaps around the apartment.

What delightful company they have all been! And they all had a FABULOUS time and were saying we should do this every year.

Now I'm going to go collapse in a heap for a while.

ZZZZzzzzzzzzz,
Meowmie

P.S., Good point, katladyd, about just the CHANGE of pollution type rather than the removal of pollution if motor vehicles were to be banned in Los Angeles! No doubt this will become a hotly-debated issue in California once Traveler starts tweeting about it.

momcat
09-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Got a call from Groucho. He said while the kitty musicians were practicing yesterday, several students from the university were watching and listening. One student who is a music major saw Groucho's string break on his fiddle and the look of tremendous disappointment on his face. She ran to the music building, grabbed a new string, then helped him replace it and tune it properly. The situation was resolved in a matter of minutes. The student, who is from Aberdeen Scotland, got a round of applause from the kitties and many kitty kisses for saving the day. Thank you, kind and thoughtful student!

The Haggis Feast was super! Inka said the food was sooo tasty and there was plenty for everyone. A few of the guy kitties wanted to bring a "kitty bag" home for Frankie. The crowd loved the performance by the PT Kitty Bagpipe Quartet and our Scottish dancer didn't miss a beat. Groucho said the stadium really rocked when it came time for square dancing, nobody sat it out. Don't know what time the festivities ended, Groucho wouldn't say.

Pat, I have a message for you from Groucho and Ming:
"Hi Auntie Phesina, Thank you so very much for letting us know where to get new strings! We both realized we should carry extras just in case. This morning all of us musicians went to the shop, even the bagpipers. The people at the store helped us find the best harp and fiddle strings so now we have an ample back-up supply. They were also very impressed with the bagpipe quartet saying they'll add their CD to the store's inventory.
Purrs and Kitty Kisses,
Ming and Groucho"

phesina
09-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Oh, that's so nice that that student fixed up Groucho's fiddle for him, just in time!

And I'm glad the musicians were able to get over to Shar Music and stock up on strings for backups. Pets and skritchies back to you, Groucho and Ming!

I may go check that store out myself, even though I'm not a musician.. From its web site, it looks like quite a place. I'd never heard of them before; I did a search on "violin strings ann arbor," and Shar's came up first. If nothing else, I can watch for when the pipers' CD comes in!

I'm glad the Catmobilers had such a good time. I think people will be talking about this in Ann Arbor for a long time!

And I hope Frankie enjoys his little catnip horsie from Mackinac Island and the other souvenirs his big brothers and sisters bring home to him. I'm sure he can't wait to go on his first Catmobile trip!

phesina
09-19-2011, 12:50 PM
According to my sister:

"Word on the street says that the Haggis in a Hurry family of companies is planning to build Haggis Huts with drive-through windows around the country, so the Catmobile can snack on the run wherever it goes."

Won't that just be fantastic, Catmobilers?!

She also told me that since Nelson got back home, he has been lying around resting up with a kitty-smile on his face! He STILL is not letting on who his buggy-ride companion is.

momoffuzzyfaces
09-19-2011, 12:56 PM
My gang are all home and napping. Frankie loved his horsie and slept with it. He shared his 'goodie' bag with Grandma and Chester so they could enjoy some of the Haggis too. They all send a big thank you to the cats for thinking of them.

According to the travelers they all had a wonderful time. Still not clue as to who Angel has a crush on though. Those cats can sure clam up when they want to. :D:love:

Pinot's Mom
09-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Pinot had a wonderful time on her R&R trip and wanted to thank Cassie for filling in. :) She loved being able to spend time with all the kitties with no responsibilities! :)

slick
09-19-2011, 03:41 PM
I keep finding little notes around the apartment about a christmas list and Merlin has been napping with a smile on his face. He's been having funny dreams too, looks like he's trying to gallop. :eek: