PDA

View Full Version : Vick-animal abuser & multimillionaire...

pomtzu
08-30-2011, 04:59 PM
This just makes me sick. That piece of crap - Michael Vick - and "star" quarterback for the Eagles, has signed a 6 year $100 million contract. Boy - now doesn't send a wonderful message to young and impressionable kids. It's okay to run a dog fighting operation, kill countless dogs, get a small prison sentence, and then go on to be famous and RICH.
I used to be an Eagles fan, but haven't watched a single game since their management took him on a couple of years ago, and gave him another chance. Big deal - Vick has done some work with humane associations (which I'm certain is not sincere), and the only reason he does, is to make himself look good and repentant. I don't believe he's sorry for anything he did in the past, and the only thing he regrets is getting caught!!! :mad:
I could just barf..........

Karen
08-30-2011, 05:19 PM
I am sure his humane society work is court ordered. I do not watch football in general, but even if I did, would not watch any game he played in, even if it was the Superbowl. Our best bet for making an impact is writing the the Eagles' management that offered him that contract.

pomtzu
08-30-2011, 05:43 PM
I am sure his humane society work is court ordered. I do not watch football in general, but even if I did, would not watch any game he played in, even if it was the Superbowl. Our best bet for making an impact is writing the the Eagles' management that offered him that contract.

Unfortunately, Eagles management has listened to people protesting Vick for the past 2 years that he has been playing for them. The protests seemed to die off after the first year, and then he was just another one of the team members. The better he played, the more people seemed to forget what he did. The relative handful of people that hate this monster, don't amount to a hill of beans, and all that management and owners care about, is drawing crowds to the games, and selling Eagles products. It doesn't appear that they give a damn about morals and integrity - only the draw of a guy that can win games and earn them money.

Taz_Zoee
08-30-2011, 05:49 PM
I'll still watch the Eagles if I care about who they are playing. But I can't stand that man! Every time I hear his name I have a few choice words to say. And when my boyfriend told me about this contract I said some of those words. :mad:

momcat
08-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Trenton is in Eagles territory and there's a very popular T-shirt around here:

HIDE YOUR BEAGLE.....VICK"S AN EAGLE

Lady's Human
08-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Seriously mixed feelings on this one.

He was caught, convicted by a jury, and went to jail.

He served his sentence which was handed down by a judge in accordance with sentencing guidelines.

He is now playing football again, and under the watchful eyes of Andy Reid, with others in the league watching him like a hawk. Reid or Belichik are really the only coaches who could probably handle this and turn it around, as neither one puts up with off field garbage.

I've heard his interviews, and unlike his interviews before the trial and jail, he sounds like he really knows he screwed up. IIRC, his mandatory community service has long since passed.

Here's a FAQ from HSUS (Not my favorite people, but it is what it is)

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/dogfighting/qa/vick_faq.html

pomtzu
08-30-2011, 06:12 PM
What gripes me, is the people that defend his actions by saying he grew up where dog fighting was an acceptable and everyday practice, and he didn't know any better. B.S. He grew up in Newport News, VA and attended college at VA Tech - hardly dog fighting territory!

lizbud
09-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Michael Vick got a concussion in the game with the Phia. Eagles this
weekend. Poor thing.:rolleyes:

Now he knows how his dogs felt when they were kicked in the head.

phesina
09-19-2011, 07:32 PM
He's getting better medical care in response to it than his dogs did, though.

happylabs
09-20-2011, 05:50 AM
Seriously mixed feelings on this one.

He was caught, convicted by a jury, and went to jail.

He served his sentence which was handed down by a judge in accordance with sentencing guidelines.

He is now playing football again, and under the watchful eyes of Andy Reid, with others in the league watching him like a hawk. Reid or Belichik are really the only coaches who could probably handle this and turn it around, as neither one puts up with off field garbage.

I've heard his interviews, and unlike his interviews before the trial and jail, he sounds like he really knows he screwed up. IIRC, his mandatory community service has long since passed.

Here's a FAQ from HSUS (Not my favorite people, but it is what it is)

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/dogfighting/qa/vick_faq.html

I'm with you on this one. I think it is time for all to get over this and move on. He has paid for his mistakes.

Medusa
09-20-2011, 06:59 AM
Sick Vick will never have paid for his crimes. And have no doubt, they were crimes, not mistakes. A mistake is taking the wrong exit off the highway or wearing mismatched socks or putting on the wrong color lipstick. It's a "miss take". Vick knew what he was doing, his culture had nothing to do w/it and he should be hounded (pun unintended) for the rest of his life. That's the price he must pay for committing such horrible crimes.

pomtzu
09-20-2011, 07:17 AM
Michael Vick got a concussion in the game with the Phia. Eagles this
weekend. Poor thing.:rolleyes:

Now he knows how his dogs felt when they were kicked in the head.

I didn't watch the game, as I never do anymore since Vick made the team, but I heard it on the news. I was going to post a comment about it, but thought I'd just zip my lip for a change.

Thank you Liz, for posting what I was thinking!!!! :D

Sick Vick will never have paid for his crimes. And have no doubt, they were crimes, not mistakes. A mistake is taking the wrong exit off the highway or wearing mismatched socks or putting on the wrong color lipstick. It's a "miss take". Vick knew what he was doing, his culture had nothing to do w/it and he should be hounded (pun unintended) for the rest of his life. That's the price he must pay for committing such horrible crimes.

Mary - I couldn't agree more. Does a murderer or child molester ever deserve forgiveness, even if they serve their time and then are set free??? Not in my book, and probably not in the book of any person with even an ounce of morals.

Lady's Human
09-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Mary - I couldn't agree more. Does a murderer or child molester ever deserve forgiveness, even if they serve their time and then are set free??? Not in my book, and probably not in the book of any person with even an ounce of morals.

I think Christ sorta set the example on that one. Who was on the other 2 crosses that day?

pomtzu
09-20-2011, 07:40 AM
I think Christ sorta set the example on that one. Who was on the other 2 crosses that day?

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. To each his own..........

Medusa
09-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Dogs w/their loving nature would forgive Vick. Humans can't forgive so easily, at least some of us can't, but forgiveness does not equal trust. I have forgiven people that I know I can never trust again but I've let go the transgression and given it up to God. That's the best I can do and it's more than Vick deserves.

Asiel
09-20-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm tired of reading about how Michael Vick has 'suffered' and 'paid his debt to society'. He has not developed any character, or learned any lesson. Sadism, and yes, torturing an animal as it whimpers in pain, killing it slowly(and creatively) is sadism. It can not be unlearned.
His 'suffering' is by his own doing, his own cruel and merciless nature. As for his 'debt,' there is nothing he can do to erase the pain of the torture and death he inflicted on those dogs.
Is this what the NFL is about? Endorsing sadism and cruelty? I sincerely hope not. What ever happened to promoting strong role models?
I would never allow any child of mine to watch NHL if he was playing, this would only serve to imply that I am condoningwhat he did Shame on the Eagles, they've brought disgrace to their country by signing him up. :( :(

pomtzu
09-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Shame on the Eagles, they've brought disgrace to their country by signing him up. :( :(

And they are lining their pockets with big $$$$$, don't forget that. It's all about the almighty dollar.

moosmom
09-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Okay, I've been lurking while on respite (must mean I'm feeling better, as my orneriness is coming back), but HAVE to respond to this post...

He has paid for his mistakes.

No.....the DOGS paid for his mistakes with their LIVES!!! I boycott BET tv, Subway and Nike or any other products that have Vick as a spokesperson.

Guess you could say, "I'M BAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!" :p;)

sparks19
09-20-2011, 10:18 AM
I don't like the man ....

but I'm done wasting time and energy "hating" him. hate is just not a feeling I like to hold on to so I just go on as if he doesn't exsist. I don't watch football so it's easy to ignore him I guess.

Like it or not he paid the debt to society he was doled out and now he's free to earn as much or as little as he likes and there is not a darn thing anyone can do to change that.

So I say get over it. doesn't mean forget what he did and don't support him or things that support him if thats what you feel you need to do but all the anger and hatred is just so wasted.

pomtzu
09-20-2011, 10:43 AM
I don't dwell on hate and anger toward anyone - Vick included - just not worth my time. However, when the media plasters his name and face everywhere, and extolls his virtues, then it's pretty hard to ignore. Living in the Philadelphia media coverage area, we see much more of it than folks in other areas of the country. If I never heard his name or saw his face again, he would be totally eliminated from any thoughts I may have about him. Out of sight - out of mind!

phesina
09-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Okay, I've been lurking while on respite (must mean I'm feeling better, as my orneriness is coming back), but HAVE to respond to this post...

No.....the DOGS paid for his mistakes with their LIVES!!! I boycott BET tv, Subway and Nike or any other products that have Vick as a spokesperson.

Guess you could say, "I'M BAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!" :p;)

Good on you, Donna!

Medusa
09-20-2011, 11:02 AM
I don't hate Vick b/c hate takes passion and I'd rather reserve my passion for other things. However, I disagree that he's paid his debt. Just b/c he served a light sentence does not mean that his debt was paid. He has many deaths of innocents to atone for. Perhaps the law says he's all paid up but many, many people say otherwise.

Also, forgiving someone doesn't mean that suddenly that person has seen the light and has changed. Forgiveness, IMO, is for our sakes, not the perpetrator's. If forgiveness guaranteed that the perpetrator would forever walk the straight and narrow and would redeem him/herself by doing acts to make up for the crime/s committed, then most of us wouldn't have a problem w/forgiveness. Forgiveness is not a free pass. It's for us, not them.

sparks19
09-20-2011, 11:10 AM
I don't hate Vick b/c hate takes passion and I'd rather reserve my passion for other things. However, I disagree that he's paid his debt. Just b/c he served a light sentence does not mean that his debt was paid. He has many deaths of innocents to atone for. Perhaps the law says he's all paid up but many, many people say otherwise.

that's why I said he paid the debt he was doled out. he was given a sentence and he served it. so now he's free to go about his life and be successful if he wants and there isn't a darn thing anyone can do about it because he's paid his debt as far as the law is concerned. so whether we like it or not he is free to go about his business however he pleases (within the confines of the law of course).

We don't have to like it but I'm not going to waste anymore energy on it. He'll have his judgement day.

lizbud
09-20-2011, 11:28 AM
I don't dwell on hate and anger toward anyone - Vick included - just not worth my time. However, when the media plasters his name and face everywhere, and extolls his virtues, then it's pretty hard to ignore. Living in the Philadelphia media coverage area, we see much more of it than folks in other areas of the country. If I never heard his name or saw his face again, he would be totally eliminated from any thoughts I may have about him. Out of sight - out of mind!

Exactly!!! I don't think anyone here carries his picture around in their mind,
but as long as he's in the news, people will be reminded of his horrid history.

There are dogs alive today that would still cringe with fear at the sight
of him. As far as he's concerned, he can never undo the damage he's done
to the dogs & the bad influence he's been to a lot of young children. His
evil lives on after him.

Lady's Human
09-20-2011, 11:47 AM
If someone who's famous for running fast and throwing an air filled pig's bladder is a major influence on children, there's more wrong than Vick getting a light sentence.

If you don't like the sentence he was given, rattle your legislator's cages and get the laws changed.

The comment about his evil living on after him is interesting. Does that imply that regardless what he's done through working with animal groups he's still the embodiment of evil? Saul, road to Damascus......

lizbud
09-20-2011, 12:21 PM
If someone who's famous for running fast and throwing an air filled pig's bladder is a major influence on children, there's more wrong than Vick getting a light sentence.

If you don't like the sentence he was given, rattle your legislator's cages and get the laws changed.

The comment about his evil living on after him is interesting. Does that imply that regardless what he's done through working with animal groups he's still the embodiment of evil? Saul, road to Damascus......

You know better than that. They don't use "a pigs bladder", it's a
synthetic rubber ball, and...... LH

No one gets a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression.He can never take
back the impression left with all the kids that it must be ok to fight dogs,
their hero does it & look at him now. Rich,famous, successful, etc.

Lady's Human
09-20-2011, 12:33 PM
You know better than that. They don't use "a pigs bladder", it's a
synthetic rubber ball, and...... LH

No one gets a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression.He can never take
back the impression left with all the kids that it must be ok to fight dogs,
their hero does it & look at him now. Rich,famous, successful, etc.

Again, if a football player is your kids' hero, you need to look at other issues than Vick's criminal record.

It's not a synthetic rubber ball, it's leather.

Karen
09-20-2011, 12:35 PM
But Liz, there has been so much negative publicity about dog fighting afterwards that that likely had an impact on those children as well. Human being learn, and sometimes change. Give the kids some credit, okay?

sparks19
09-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Again, if a football player is your kids' hero, you need to look at other issues than Vick's criminal record.

It's not a synthetic rubber ball, it's leather.

right... if your kids are growing up thinking it's ok to fight dogs because a guy who plays football on TV did it then you are failing as a parent.

so they see that Vick did this... and had to deal with the law and now has a criminal record and they still think it's A ok... there are bigger problems than Vick being in the public eye and kids admiring his skills.

should we just put all criminals on death row because they can never be people our kids should look up to and they shouldn't be allowed to carry on with life after they paid their debt by serving the sentence given to them by the law? I get that he's scum but we can't start putting restrictions like that on how much money ex cons can make etc etc. We can't start handing everyone life sentences.

So he got his sentence, he served it, now he's out and playing football. As long as he's not still fighting dogs I don't really give a hoot.

sparks19
09-20-2011, 01:12 PM
But Liz, there has been so much negative publicity about dog fighting afterwards that that likely had an impact on those children as well. Human being learn, and sometimes change. Give the kids some credit, okay?

This also.

I don't think anyone has EVER condoned what he did. Just because he got a job that pays a lot of money because he has a particular skill set doesn't mean the kids are going to see glamor in dog fighting.

kids aren't stupid and if they are growing up to adult hood believing dog fighting is OK... that's not Michael Vicks fault. I don't like the guy but I'm not going to pin THAT on him. there were many more failures along the way than that one kid watching a guy play football and then growing up to be a dog fighter.

pomtzu
09-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Hey - I give Vick credit where credit is due...........

1. He's a great football player.

2. He's a great actor. He's managed to appear so contrite and fool the masses. He's worked for animal rights to make himself look caring and apologetic for his horrific deeds. Great acting skills indeed.

Do I think he will ever revert back to his old ways??? Not a chance - and only because he will always be watched and would be afraid of getting caught again. I'd like to think that he truly is sorry, but he just doesn't come across that way, to me anyway.

And as far as kids go-----it's not realistic to even think that they would glamorize dog fighting because of Vick. I believe the point here is, that as a parent, I would hope that my children would not want to emulate ANY kind of behavior, whether criminal or immoral, portrayed by Vick or anyone like him. Many kids - especially the boys - dream about being a famous sports figure and strive to pattern themselves after their heroes. Unfortunately, too many of these heroes that they look up to, have a whole lot that they try to hide, but it eventually surfaces.

Medusa
09-20-2011, 02:19 PM
I think many are angry b/c Vick hasn't been humble enough, at least that's how I feel. He can't hide that smirk on his face. We can tell that most of the words that he has spoken were written for him. I don't believe for a second that he's sorry for what he's done and if that's unfair, so be it. Life is unfair. If Vick's dogs could talk, they'd tell you how unfair life is.

sparks19
09-20-2011, 02:53 PM
I dont think its unfair. I just think its a huge waste of my time, energy and emotions. He paid his debt as far as the law is concerned and me stewing over it isnt going to change that.

It bothers me that he seems to have no remorse but i really dont care what he does for a job as long as im not footing the bill for his life.

The judgement i will leave to God

pomtzu
09-20-2011, 03:18 PM
I dont think its unfair. I just think its a huge waste of my time, energy and emotions. He paid his debt as far as the law is concerned and me stewing over it isnt going to change that.

I really don't believe that anyone here is stewing over it - mainly because he just isn't worth it. If I want to stew about something, it's going to something that affects me directly - like my car insurance rates that were raised again for no reason, or that I'll probably get a cost of living raise in Social Security come January, but that Medicare rates will rise and wipe it out. That's stewing material....:mad:

I believe that people here that have posted their views of Vick, are simply disappointed with the way that this man is glorified. This is a PET forum, and the people of this community have very strong opinions about how animals are treated - and mistreated. We always hear of man's inhumanity to man - what about man's inhumanity to the animals? And not just the dogs and cats of the world, but zoo and circus animals, and even animals raised for human consumption.

Sure - there are many people in this world with the opinion that "it's just a dog, or just a cat" etc - and I'm sure to them it's no big deal. I'd like to think the folks here are way above that mindset.

So "stewing" - no, "dwelling" - no. Concerned about the welfare of animals - by all means. And if it means that there is no love lost on the Vicks of the world - then so be it - but it doesn't consume my life.

moosmom
09-20-2011, 06:58 PM
I believe that people here that have posted their views of Vick, are simply disappointed with the way that this man is glorified. This is a PET forum, and the people of this community have very strong opinions about how animals are treated - and mistreated. We always hear of man's inhumanity to man - what about man's inhumanity to the animals? And not just the dogs and cats of the world, but zoo and circus animals, and even animals raised for human consumption.

Sure - there are many people in this world with the opinion that "it's just a dog, or just a cat" etc - and I'm sure to them it's no big deal. I'd like to think the folks here are way above that mindset.

So "stewing" - no, "dwelling" - no. Concerned about the welfare of animals - by all means. And if it means that there is no love lost on the Vicks of the world - then so be it - but it doesn't consume my life.

AMEN, girl!!! As far as a COLA from SS, don't hold your breath. It'll be 4 years since our last one and they say it's because the economy is doing better. Like hell it is!!

I think many are angry b/c Vick hasn't been humble enough, at least that's how I feel. He can't hide that smirk on his face. We can tell that most of the words that he has spoken were written for him. I don't believe for a second that he's sorry for what he's done and if that's unfair, so be it. Life is unfair. If Vick's dogs could talk, they'd tell you how unfair life is.

I'm with you on this one. He's not sorry for what he did. He's just sorry he got caught.

pomtzu
09-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Problems for the "golden boy". Concussion last week, a broken hand today! Karma, dear Michael, karma........

Grace
09-25-2011, 06:14 PM
The judgement I will leave to God

Problems for the "golden boy". Concussion last week, a broken hand today! Karma, dear Michael, karma........

Perhaps God is meting out punishment . . . . .

momcat
09-25-2011, 07:03 PM

Mike watched today's game. He's a Giants fan, got it from his late father. He came out and told me Vick has a broken hand. I asked him the very first thought in my mind, "Is it the hand he used on the dogs?"

Ellie, what goes around, comes around.

Grace
09-25-2011, 10:42 PM
Poor Michael -

"I was trying to protect myself," Vick said in his postgame news conference. "Still didn't get a flag and that's pretty much been the story for the last three weeks. I mean, obviously at some point something catastrophic is going to happen and I broke my hand."

"Looking at the replays, I'm on the ground every time, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't frustrated," Vick said in his postgame news conference. "The refs have got to do their jobs. And I mentioned it to the refs in training camp when I talked to them. I'm on the ground constantly, all the time. Every time I throw the ball, I'm on the ground. And I don't know why I don't get the 15-yard flags like everybody else does."

Maybe, just maybe, he might get a clue as to how his dogs felt?

pomtzu
09-26-2011, 06:34 AM
Poor Michael -

Maybe, just maybe, he might get a clue as to how his dogs felt?

I doubt that. All he's doing is crying about how he is being picked on and having himself a good old pity party. Awwww - my heart bleeds for him.

beeniesmom
09-26-2011, 12:38 PM
problems for the "golden boy". Concussion last week, a broken hand today! Karma, dear michael, karma........

lol