PDA

View Full Version : roll call?

sparks19
08-28-2011, 10:53 AM
How is everyone doing after the storms yesterday? Anyone heard from anyone else that might have lost power?

We weathered the storm ok here. We actually didn't lose power at all but other parrts of the area did and still don't have power.

Things got exciting in the middle of the night. Brian and I didn't sleep a lick. We were laying in bed and heard *crack crack CRASH* UH OH... that was a tree

The people across the street at the end had a tree come down in front of their driveway. what a mess. luckily all our trees stayed standing and it doesn't looke like that tree caused any damage to any property (except maybe their mailbox... it may not have survived lol)

So all is good here.

Everyone else OK?

Cincy'sMom
08-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Hope all our East Coasters are doing well!

Karen
08-28-2011, 12:46 PM
We are back - we lost power for about 5 hours, but as you can see, are back here, and back online!

sparks19
08-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Oy vey. We went out (don't worry... we kept WAY back of the tree) and I'm just too faint of heart to watch them cut this precariously hanging tree. They just cut the load bearing branch... and I almost watched my hsuband die. Ok maybe not quite that dramatic but that thing came crashing down on top of everyone. I think my heart almost stopped.

So we are back inside because I'm not going to be of any help lol

Grace
08-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Obviously we're okay, out here in Michigan. Checked with the family -

My son in Richmond, Virginia is fine - did not lose power.

Cousin in New Jersey - she didn't answer the phone, but her answering machine came on, so she must have power.

My brother, in East Greenwich, Rhode Island lost power right after breakfast. Read that 40% of Rhode Island is powerless right now. Andy said no flooding, some branches down.

Puckstop31
08-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Well, that was FUN!

Today brought back a lot of good memories. Growing up out in the sticks, we had to take apart 3 good trees a year for heat. Back then, it was WORK. Today, it was just neighbors helping neighbors.

First we took apart the tree across the street Tanya showed ya. (In the "aftermath" thread.) It was a triple forked Elm tree and two of the three forks were down, but resting on the good one. That is what made it a bit of a challenge and why we made Tanya's heart stop. But I made triple sure that the load was on the fork we thought it was on, so I was actually in the safest place to be. LOL The most dangerous part was the neighbors son driving the saw for a bit. Oy.

Next I walked to "the sounds of the saws" and helped a neighbor two strrets up take apart a Poplar tree. This was much easier because, a.) the home owners dad was driving the saw and clearly knew what he was doing and, b.) it was a Poplar tree and thus much lighter. After a few minutes the owner's son actually just got out of his dad and I's way. LOL I've done this countless times in my life and we just took it apart in no time. Plus the son's wife needed a break from their infant child. "Dad" rewarded me with a couple of beers and an offer to take the wood. Oh, if only I had use for it. Someday....

The best part about today? Seeing so many people just help their neighbors.... Just because it is the right thing to do.

Woot!

wombat2u2004
08-28-2011, 06:54 PM
I'm safe.
Never lost one single tree. ;)

Freedom
08-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Fine here and didn't lose power; more than half the state of RI has no power, will take a week to get everyone back on the power grid.

I do have a large limb in the sugar maple out back down, didn't know it till a bit ago. It is still attached, will need someone to climb the tree and cut it through.

kitten645
08-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Yes please! Check in East Coasters! :love:

Karen
08-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Just had a long conversation with K9Karen, she is alive and coping. They were without power all day, but Logan and she are safe, and as she is recovering from more eye surgery, she cannot be on Pet Talk even when there IS electricity, so I promised her I'd say hello!

Grace
08-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Thank you, Karen, for the update. Please send her my best wishes for a speedy recovery when you are in touch with her next.

caseysmom
08-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks Karen please send her healing vibes from me.

pomtzu
08-29-2011, 06:44 PM
As I posted in the hurricane thread - we're fine here with no serious damage. I feel so bad for the folks in Vermont, and of course those everywhere that have been affected. Just seeing on t.v. some of those old covered bridges being washed away, just broke my heart, as they are icons of that area.

Vermontcat
08-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Things in my little corner of Vermont are just fine. A lot of rain and wind, just a little water in the basement but never lost power. I know other parts of the state were hit bad, I have been through those areas many times, it is really sad to see all the destruction from the flooding.:(

smokey the elder
08-30-2011, 10:43 AM
I did OK; never lost power and just some water in the basement but that's what pumps are for.

I do have a funny story, though. I filled the tub with water as a "just in case". My youngest cat Moby likes to drink out of the tub faucet. I think you know where this is going.:p

*SPLASH!!* "Moby, you didn't!" A drenched, p!'d off cat comes flying out of the bathroom. "Moby, you DID!":D

pomtzu
08-30-2011, 11:18 AM
I do have a funny story, though. I filled the tub with water as a "just in case". My youngest cat Moby likes to drink out of the tub faucet. I think you know where this is going.:p

*SPLASH!!* "Moby, you didn't!" A drenched, p!'d off cat comes flying out of the bathroom. "Moby, you DID!":D

Too funny. I had posted in the hurricane thread about basically the same scenario - how one of my son's cats likes to charge into the bathroom and jump in the tub. That was the tub we filled with water in case we needed it. Pepper didn't choose to entertain us tho and she stayed out of the bathroom.

Randi
08-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Oh Moby! Sorry, but I had to laugh. :D Next time, I bet you'll stick a paw in to see how deep it is!

Glad to hear you're all safe. :)

momoffuzzyfaces
08-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Not heard from sandtatsxxx11 yet. She lives in PA. Probably power still out. She lives in a rural area. :love::love:

smokey the elder
08-30-2011, 12:44 PM
It's a claw foot tub, so she was flying blind, as it were.:D

Karen
08-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Not heard from sandtatsxxx11 yet. She lives in PA. Probably power still out. She lives in a rural area. :love::love:

Yes, I tried calling her, and their "voicemail box is full," so I am guessing that their internet and phone are probably still out. She's up on a hill, and seems to get hit most every storm.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-31-2011, 08:09 AM
Got a brief message from sandtatsxxx11. She tried to call me on her cell yesterday and I missed the call. So she sent a message by her phone thru something called a droid. She only could put in the message line. It said they had a major one and may not get power until the end of the week.:eek:

At least I know she is ok. :love: