PDA

View Full Version : Outrageous Kid Parties

pomtzu
08-23-2011, 08:03 AM
I haven't had the "pleasure" :rolleyes: of viewing this t.v. show, and I won't, after just seeing some clips of some of these parties on GMA. C'mom - $30,000+ for a pre-school graduation party, and the same for a birthday party for a 6 year old??? What do they do to top it the following year, and the year after that, and on and on. Really parents - what the h3ll are you thinking? I think TLC has stooped to an all time low with this one. This party show probably tops Toddlers and Tiaras for being in extremely poor taste, and I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would watch either. What kind of message is this sending to these kids?? :mad: OMG - I could buy a really nice brand new car for less than what these idiot parents spend on a party for their spoiled brats. They need to have their heads examined! Where does this madness end?

I probably should be posting this in The Dog House.......:eek:

happylabs
08-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Kid parties have really gotten out of hand. It seems parents want to one-up each other.

I wouldn't watch this show and if I had younger kids I wouldn't let them watch it either!

When my kids were little we would rotate between the two kids every other year they got to have a kid party at the skating rink or bowling alley or some place like that. I would bake cupcakes and maybe get a pizza for the kids.

Taz_Zoee
08-23-2011, 09:38 AM
I caught the end of one of these shows. And they are ridiculous!! I mean, there are so many other things one could spend their money on. But I guess it is THEIR money.........so they can do with it as they please. :rolleyes:

Lady's Human
08-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Never even heard of the show before this post.

Just remember, ANY publicity, good or bad, is good publicity, or, to quote Oscar Wilde, the only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about.

It's the parent's money, granted, but why do they insist on making shows about bad parenting? Now to add to the one-upsmanship, parent's will be spending a fortune to try to get on a television show(Don't laugh, look at the astounding critical thinking involved with"teen moms").

pomtzu
08-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Yup - it's their money alright. I wonder if they're thinking of what real good that this money could do, if only spent in the right place, instead of using it to screw their kid's head up by instilling in them, the importance of extravagance and material crap. What great roll models these parents are, don't ya' think??? :rolleyes:
And as far as Toddlers and Tiaras goes too - those parents are pimping those kids - IMO. Just put them on t.v. for the world to see (and the world includes a lot of sickos that like pretty little girls, if you get my drift.) and never give it a second thought! Just look at what happened to Jon Benet Ramsey, poor kid.
Some of these parents need to wake up and smell the coffee, or be prepared to suffer the consequences.

moosmom
08-23-2011, 12:15 PM
I didn't even spend that much on my WEDDING!!!!:eek: Whatever happened to backyard parties with balloons, slip 'n slide, bouncy houses, birthday cake and ice cream??? That's utter BS!!

I watched Toddlers and Tiaras last week. There was a 31 (you read right!!) year old woman COMPETING in ages 10+!!! Her mother was there with her asking her if she wanted a valium!!! Can you say dispensing pharmaceuticals without a license???:eek::eek: These reality shows are totally out of control. I watched "Jerseylicious" the other night and, while I liked it in the beginning, I'm sick of Olivia and Tracy going at each other's throats and if I were the owner of Gatsby, I would've fired both of them!!

This TV sensationalism is SO outta control! TV is nothing but CRAP these days.

Karen
08-23-2011, 12:23 PM
There is plenty of good TV, if you look carefully - National Geographic, History channels, there are several Discovery Channel off shoots that have good stuff, and there's always CSpan - your government in action - or NOT, depending.

There will always be people willing to spend stupid amounts of money, it's just now they get rewarded by TV appearances. But we don't have to watch them!

pomtzu
08-23-2011, 12:49 PM
There is plenty of good TV, if you look carefully - National Geographic, History channels, there are several Discovery Channel off shoots that have good stuff,

You're right Karen - these stations are basically all I watch anymore, with the exception of network stations for the news and a few other decent shows like 20/20 or Dateline or 48 Hours Mystery etc. If I didn't have cable and only got the network stations, my t.v. would almost never be on.

Pembroke_Corgi
08-23-2011, 01:04 PM
How is that so much money ends up in the hands of someone willing to spend it on absolute nonsense? Do people really have hundreds of thousands of dollars to waste on things like this- or are they getting paid to do it by tv networks? I can safely say no amount of money would ever tempt me to be on reality tv.

smokey the elder
08-23-2011, 02:24 PM
That's so true...how much good would that coin do the cat rescue group I belong to?

There are loads of good shows that are licensed from the BBC; some feature Stephen Hawking and others feature other physicists like Michio Kaku and Neil deGrasse Tyson. (Yeah, I'm such a nerd!:D)

sparks19
08-23-2011, 02:30 PM
I don't know... I can't talk I guess LOL Hannah's birthday will be at Disney World this year hahaha. but still not even close to $30,000 price tag lol

Taz_Zoee
08-23-2011, 02:35 PM
I don't know... I can't talk I guess LOL Hannah's birthday will be at Disney World this year hahaha. but still not even close to $30,000 price tag lol

That's normal! Not outrageous like these people. These people let the children walk all over them. The kids get WHATEVER they want WHEN they want it. And the child is only 5!! Like I said, I have never watched a full episode, only parts. But it was enough to see the spoiled rotten brats. Then when they turn 16 they'll be on the other show....Sweet 16. :rolleyes:

Asiel
08-23-2011, 03:04 PM
POM you sound like me a few years ago when I saw what parents were spending for their kids' birthdays. I guess it didn't occur to them that they could bank the money for their education later.....makes you wonder about people today, where will it all end I wonder.

Asiel
08-23-2011, 03:06 PM

Big difference taking a family vacation in honour of Hannah's birthday and throwing $30,000 on stupidity that most kids won't care about tomorrow. At least this is something the whole family enjoys and people do need vacations.....all work and no play....:)

sparks19
08-23-2011, 03:13 PM
Big difference taking a family vacation in honour of Hannah's birthday and throwing $30,000 on stupidity that most kids won't care about tomorrow. At least this is something the whole family enjoys and people do need vacations.....all work and no play....:)

I know lol...people just think we are nuts since this is our 3rd trip in 3 years.

You are going back to disney AGAIN? :eek: YES lol

Bonny
08-23-2011, 03:59 PM
I haven't had the "pleasure" :rolleyes: of viewing this t.v. show, and I won't, after just seeing some clips of some of these parties on GMA. C'mom - $30,000+ for a pre-school graduation party, and the same for a birthday party for a 6 year old??? What do they do to top it the following year, and the year after that, and on and on. Really parents - what the h3ll are you thinking? I think TLC has stooped to an all time low with this one. This party show probably tops Toddlers and Tiaras for being in extremely poor taste, and I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would watch either. What kind of message is this sending to these kids?? :mad: OMG - I could buy a really nice brand new car for less than what these idiot parents spend on a party for their spoiled brats. They need to have their heads examined! Where does this madness end?

I probably should be posting this in The Dog House.......:eek:

They could send their kids to college on that kind of money. What did they do send their kid guests home with new ipods?

sparks19
08-23-2011, 04:04 PM
They could send their kids to college on that kind of money. What did they do send their kid guests home with new ipods?

I'm thinking if they are throwing $30,000 parties... paying for college isn't going to be a problem

phesina
08-23-2011, 04:27 PM
I thought the economy is supposed to be so terrible these days. Who are these people who have so much money to throw around so wastefully and ridiculously?????

sparks19
08-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Oh there are still PLENTY of wealthy people out there.

wombat2u2004
08-23-2011, 08:22 PM
I thought the economy is supposed to be so terrible these days. Who are these people who have so much money to throw around so wastefully and ridiculously?????

There are people out there with more money than they could ever use in a whole lifetime, sometimes two lifetimes.
It's disgusting.

happylabs
08-24-2011, 09:19 AM
There are people out there with more money than they could ever use in a whole lifetime, sometimes two lifetimes.
It's disgusting.

Yes, I wish I could meet one of those! :D

Asiel
08-24-2011, 09:25 AM
I know lol...people just think we are nuts since this is our 3rd trip in 3 years.

You are going back to disney AGAIN? :eek: YES lol

This theme park is as enjoyable for us adults as for the kids. We used to go every winter with the kids to escape the cold. It was part of our Christmas, or so we told them even if we did go every March :D
Never regretted doing that even once, we have lots of pictures and more memories now that the kids are grown. Something to cherish for always.