PDA

View Full Version : So uh... our cat might belong to somebody else?

ToBeEvergreen
08-16-2011, 12:27 PM
About two years ago, we rescued a stray kitty that was FIV+ named Luigi. We put him up on Petfinder and an animal shelter was told that we had found him, just in case he went missing for someone. Well, I just got a phone call saying that this guy and his family lost his cat named, "Skippy Jones", and Luigi IS that cat.

The guy sounded so frantic about it that it shocked me. He told me it looks JUST like his cat, with the scar on the nose and all, and his cat was microchipped, so that would be the deciding factor I guess, to determine if he is. \

But I don't know. If I lost one of our cats? I'd be pretty frantic. My mom actually just surprised me by asking me to call the vet and ask if they CHECKed him for a microchip when we got him.

So those are my random thoughts about this..
http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=4417

First question we have to ask is if their cat was neutered of course, because if he was, then Luigi isn't their cat- we neutered him about a year ago. If their cat wasn't neutered, then we test for the microchip. He was really rowdy when they brought him in to the vet, and we could hear him givin' em heck in there, so maybe they didn't do it, even though I did talk to the vet and she said the microchip scan is done most of the time for strays.

Karen
08-16-2011, 12:53 PM
How did he run across Luigi's picture? Did he say how his cat went missing and when?

ToBeEvergreen
08-16-2011, 12:57 PM
We'll be discussing it with the guy's family later, when my mom gets home. I didn't want to get too far without her knowing, so I called her at work, and she said we'll call them together when she gets home. Guy just said his cat went missing a while back, not sure when yet.

Luigi's picture is still on Petfinder. The guy did go beyond the picture and say his cat had a scratch on its nose when they lost him... which Luigi did, but we didn't include that picture on the site.

sasvermont
08-16-2011, 02:36 PM
I am not sure how honest I could be with this guy. Why after this long, did he think this kitty is wanting to go home, if indeed it was his cat.

After all this time, and the fact that he hadn't altered him, I would not give him back. He isn't a pure bred is he?

I guess the microchip will answer your question in the end. But, I am still not sure he deserves the kitty now.

Good luck with your decision if and when you have to make it.

Keep us posted.

ToBeEvergreen
08-16-2011, 02:49 PM
If it's his cat, I have no clue how he and his family lost him. Unless he was an outdoor cat. We had an outdoor cat long ago named Alli, who we lost while we were on vacation. A kind man heard we lost her and brought her back thankfully, she was stunning, all white (and she was pregnant when we got her- gave away the kittens and kept her). And we haven't had an outdoor cat since then, maybe 15 years back.

He asked if it was the animal shelter speaking when I answered, so I think he was trying to contact them.

We have no clue if he's a purebred. The vet guessed domestic shorthair. He was quite young when we first saw him, and came to our house for maybe a few months on and off.

I wouldn't keep him from him if he is their cat, but I would need absolute proof. Luigi didn't ACT feral when he used to come to our door, and looked like he had belonged to someone initially. We just assumed he was a stray or an outdoor cat that a neighbor owned, until he got into a fight (probably how he got the FIV).

In the end, the microchip is the deciding factor. No chip, no ownership. I will keep you posted. My mom will be home shortly, and then we'll have to discuss the next step.

Anikaca77
08-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Let us know if you find out about the micro chip. Good luck.

Melissa

ToBeEvergreen
08-16-2011, 03:46 PM
He's set with the vet to go in for the microchip scan at 5:30pm tomorrow. My mom is acting a bit iffy over it now, I think she's getting nervous. I'm getting a bit nervous myself just thinking about it. But if the scan proves nothing is there, he's ours, I contact that family and tell them no go, and I'll look for a way to get him OFF of Petfinder, since he has been with us for about a year or more now.

Malibu's Mom
08-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Very, very odd story. Well, I hope things work out well for Luigi. Good luck.

Freedom
08-16-2011, 04:32 PM
I would definitely get him off petfinder, or at minimum have the posting editted to say ADOPTED.

If you don't want to let him go, just tell the guy there is no microchip.

catnapper
08-16-2011, 05:08 PM
I had someone call about one of my cats, saying they KNOW she was theirs. I asked probing questions and it was immediately obvious that my cat was not hers. but it did make my heart beat a little faster while she was accusing me of stealing her cat.

Don't offer any details of him. Ask what their missing cat has.

luvofallhorses
08-16-2011, 08:26 PM
If it's been TWO years I would have a hard time giving up the cat. I hope it works out, if he's not microchipped he's not theirs but get him microchipped to prove you are his person now.

mrspunkysmom
08-16-2011, 09:56 PM
I would mention the FIV+ status.

happylabs
08-17-2011, 08:00 AM
I would definitely get him off petfinder, or at minimum have the posting editted to say ADOPTED.

If you don't want to let him go, just tell the guy there is no microchip.

Yes, I agree. After two years he is yours. Praying he isn't already microchipped.

phesina
08-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Yes, don't let this guy have him.. especially since he had not had him neutered and he's suddenly deciding NOW to look for him?

catmandu
08-17-2011, 09:31 AM
I have a feeling that this fellow is looking for a Feee Cat who has all the right things done. Why was this male Cat not neutered if he was microchipped, that doesnt make sense!!!:confused:
I would just say that he is your Cat, that the micro chip does not match , I think Luigi is in a far better place:love:

happylabs
08-17-2011, 09:44 AM
I have a feeling that this fellow is looking for a Feee Cta who has all the right things done. Why was this male Cat not neutered if he was microchipped, that doesnt make sense!!!:confused:
I would just say that he is your Cat, that the micro chip does not match , I think Luigi is in a far better place:love:

That is a very good point. Why was he not neutered. I missed that fact when I read this earlier. This is quite the mystery.

kuhio98
08-17-2011, 10:08 AM
If the cat is microchipped and turns out to be their cat -- give them their cat back! If you've ever searched desperately for a lost kitty, you know the agony of the "not knowing" and the praying for a miracle.

If the cat is theirs it would be nice for them to offer to pay for the expenses you incured. But, they may not be so inclined. Oh well, you incured those expenses to give the cat a better life -- and you have. No matter whose cat it is, he will be healthier now because of your actions.

If you ever rescue another stray -- always check for a chip. Our vets will scan for free.

ToBeEvergreen
08-17-2011, 03:47 PM
He was young when we first found him- I know we didn't neuter Mario for a little while, until he was of age. Luigi is maybe 2 years old, was a just-grown kitten when he first showed up as a stray. Could be why he wasn't neutered. They know he has FIV from the posting too, and people were turned off by that when he was our foster. But these people weren't, or they didn't SEE the obvious "special needs" and mentioning of FIV in the post.

When it rains it pours. My mom has had it real rough lately, and this is very stressful. We are having him scanned in a little less than an hour. Quick scan right over his fur to see if he is microchipped. Even though it's standard to check for a microchip when someone brings a stray in, I'm not sure if they did. And they aren't, which kind of makes me angry. I feel like they should KNOW if they did. And I was just downstairs hugging the cat. Feel kind of sick about it, he can tell I'm stressed too, so I'm trying not to be. I read to him for a little while, which I do with my pets sometimes. Weird reader-affection thing, ha.

If he is someone else's cat, I know the panic in a pet getting loose- we would give him back. But if this cat isn't microchipped like the guy claims, I'm telling him point blank, "This isn't your cat". He argues, then he is blocked on the phone. Simple as that. He gave me an important tidbit about the missing cat, and if Louie doesn't fit it, no way I'm chancing that he doesn't belong to them! Don't want some psycho stealing my cat. And he is definately OFF of Petfinder after this!!! No matter the result I guess...

ToBeEvergreen
08-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Here's the scoop. We brought him in to the vet. He was very well-behaved, didn't try to bite their hands off like last year when we had first found him. They did the scan and found him CLEAN of microchips!

We had the vet write out a notice that stated that the cat was scanned twice with no results.

We were so relieved, I have cat fur in my mouth still from kissing him so much...

I called the house that called us originally, and a kid answers. When the mother finally picks up... she tells me, SORRY about her husband, they FOUND their cat yesterday- the kids had opened the door and the cat got out. Too relieved to be angry.

Alls well that ends well. He got lots of love from the vet and technician, and he's getting a BIG can of tuna to celebrate! :love:

momoffuzzyfaces
08-17-2011, 05:52 PM
So happy you get to keep your baby. AND if the subject ever should come up again you know to tell them he is not chipped and is yours. :love:

Taz_Zoee
08-17-2011, 06:08 PM
So I'm guessing their kitty wasn't missing for very long then. That could have been a clue that Luigi wasn't their kitty.

This is GREAT news!! Now get him off Petfinder since he has a HOME. :D

happylabs
08-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Here's the scoop. We brought him in to the vet. He was very well-behaved, didn't try to bite their hands off like last year when we had first found him. They did the scan and found him CLEAN of microchips!

We had the vet write out a notice that stated that the cat was scanned twice with no results.

We were so relieved, I have cat fur in my mouth still from kissing him so much...

I called the house that called us originally, and a kid answers. When the mother finally picks up... she tells me, SORRY about her husband, they FOUND their cat yesterday- the kids had opened the door and the cat got out. Too relieved to be angry.

Alls well that ends well. He got lots of love from the vet and technician, and he's getting a BIG can of tuna to celebrate! :love:

Oh my goodness. Well, it is a happy ending for all. So sorry you had to go through all of this. He is yours now furever! :)

kuhio98
08-17-2011, 06:10 PM
[QUOTE=ToBeEvergreen;2373425]Here's the scoop. We brought him in to the vet. He was very well-behaved, didn't try to bite their hands off like last year when we had first found him. They did the scan and found him CLEAN of microchips!

I called the house that called us originally, and a kid answers. When the mother finally picks up... she tells me, SORRY about her husband, they FOUND their cat yesterday- the kids had opened the door and the cat got out. Too relieved to be angry.[QUOTE]

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/alpy.gifhttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/alpa.gifhttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/alpy.gif
Sounds like good news for everyone!

happylabs
08-17-2011, 06:15 PM

Oh my goodness. Well, it is a happy ending for all. So sorry you had to go through all of this. He is yours now furever! :)

Malibu's Mom
08-17-2011, 06:41 PM
YAY! So glad you get to keep him and that the other cat was found. Now that he's yours forever, I really suggest that you get him microchipped soon. VIP has low cost mobile vet clinics and microchips are only 39$. Here's the website (http://happypet.com/mobile).

Give him some extra kisses from me, too!! :love::love::love:

ToBeEvergreen
08-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks to all :D. He is a happy kitty, so nice to even see him swatting the dogs in our house, bein' his kitty self, with Us!

YES, having him microchipped on this end would be essential. See, he originally wasn't since he was a foster cat (which he is no longer). But now we certainly have no reason not to. Our pets are usually all chipped. Extra safety!

dehlers43
08-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Yippee!!!!!!

Freedom
08-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Woo Hoo!!!! :love::love:

phesina
08-17-2011, 08:31 PM
HALLELUJAH!!!!!

What a wonderful ending to this story for all concerned!

mrspunkysmom
08-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Outstanding and it seems that the guy either didn't read your ad for Luigi well or thought to get your cat to replace his.

Outstanding again! Glad you get to keep him.

krazyaboutkatz
08-18-2011, 01:47 AM
This is wonderful news!!!:D

Anikaca77
08-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Wonderful News! :)

MoonandBean
08-18-2011, 08:29 AM
SO happy for you. When my Bean was missing, someone called and said they thought they might have him but it turns out they had him for several months and Bean was only missing a few days so it couldn't be him. He came home on his own after 10 long days. I will always remember the support I got from PT members during that ordeal :love:

happylabs
08-18-2011, 09:02 AM
SO happy for you. When my Bean was missing, someone called and said they thought they might have him but it turns out they had him for several months and Bean was only missing a few days so it couldn't be him. He came home on his own after 10 long days. I will always remember the support I got from PT members during that ordeal :love:

I remember that Deb. That was a tough time. If any of my cats were gone that long I don't know if I could cope.

catmandu
08-18-2011, 09:23 AM
HOOORAY!:love::love::love:
WE are so glad that You and Your Dear Friend will not be seperated!!:love::love::love:
HOOORAY!!!:love::love::love::love:

moosmom
08-21-2011, 08:33 AM
That is GREAT news!!!!! Glad YOUR kitty isn't going anywhere!!!

katladyd
08-21-2011, 05:12 PM
He's found his home and that's that!:D:love:

sasvermont
08-22-2011, 07:20 AM
Sounds like the guy who contacted you about his lost cat, was a *&^%^&^ moron. Glad it all worked out in your favor. He is your cat. And you've had him since........he was a wee kitten. ;)

Congrats! :love::love:

mathteach
08-22-2011, 08:02 AM
So happy for YOU!!!:love::)

moosmom
08-22-2011, 08:10 AM
My friend took in a tortie cat, approximately 8 years old (I think she's more like 5). Someone called her INSISTING Carly was HER cat, telling Betty that she KNOWS it's her cat because she is a polydactyl. Well, it got to the point where this woman actually made complaints to the ACO and the DEP!!! Carly clearly has normal paws, not double, so that settled that right then and there!! BTW, Carly is coming to stay with me till a home can be found. If it doesn't work out, Betty said she'd take her back.

Wish me luck!!!

AmberLee
08-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Happy tears for you here. Great news! :love: