PDA

View Full Version : Dog killed one of our kittens

elizabetta1
08-10-2011, 11:59 AM
So little summary...
We have had 2 dogs (boxer, lab mix) and 1 cat for years. A few months ago i found a poor little stray cat along the side of the road. It was very skinny, dirty and there was no home for miles and miles - just corn fields. I couldn't bare leaving this cat behind and took it home. The dogs and our other cat embraced her. She would often rub up against the dogs and snuggle. It was the perfect zen for all. As she was nursed back to health, dewormed, and no longer malnutritioned, i thought that was the reason why she was starting to fill out so much. i didnt consider pregnancy as she was a very small cat and i didn't think she was old enough - i assumed her to be only 12 weeks old or so and figured i had a little time before i needed to get her spayed. But no - about 4 weeks ago she gave birth to 6 little kittens. I kept the kittens and mom stowed away and protected in our spare room. Whenever i would come in to cuddle and give mommy attention, i would allow the dogs in to get used to kittens as they will be around for a couple of months and i wanted to make sure there was nothing to worry about. It was cute. especially my boxer. they cuddled and licked the kittens. about two weeks ago, i took down the barrier and kept a close watch on the kittens and the dogs. Whenever mommy cat went to go get something to eat or drink, the dogs would stand guard and watch over the kittens - it seemed very much like they were protecting and babysitting until mommy returned. The kittens started walking around and investigating a few days ago. they snuggle with the dogs, they play and run around under the dogs feet. There has been nothing other than tender behaivor and a sweet nature from the dogs regarding the kittens. So imagine my horror when i did some work around the yard yesterday and came inside to my lab mix sitting in front of a soaking wet, dead kitten. I feel so much guilt - should i have known better? is this natural behaivor? why would the dog kill a kitten, when she has cuddled and licked and helped take care of the kitten in the past? Did i have it all wrong? Do i need to be concerned about the other kittens? I most certainly will not be leaving the dogs out any longer if i am not in the house. Why such a difference from dogs behavior from what they do when i am around and what they do when i am not around?
okay - i apologize i got lengthy here. I just feel so bad and want to make sure this cant happen again. I plan on keeping the kittens until about 10 weeks which is a safe time for them to be seperated from mom without having any psychological issues. also - on a side note - does anyone know when i can safely get the mommy cat spade? She is still nursing at this time.

Karen
08-10-2011, 01:02 PM
I'd do as you said, keep them separated when you are not home, especially as you do not know which dog did it, for sure, or the circumstances. I'd call you vet now and schedule an appointment to get momma spayed after the kittens are weaned. If you call now, they can tell you when it would be safe to get it done and get it on the calendar.

Do not feel bad, you could not have known, okay?

Freedom
08-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Oh my what a horrible thing for you (or anyone ) to find.

But as Karen said, you don't know what happened. Poor wee kitten. RIP

Best to be safe, keep them separated again.

moosmom
08-10-2011, 06:43 PM
DEFINITELY keep the dogs and cats separated. It's obvious that they can't be trusted. It was a tragedy. Learn from it.

luvofallhorses
08-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Yeah they should NEVER be unsupervised together. I'm sorry your kitten was killed, but they should not be alone together unsupervised EVER.

sasvermont
08-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Gosh, you must have been horrified. We all make mistakes in judgment from time to time. I guess what the others have said, about never leaving the dogs alone with the kittens is a good idea.

I leave my dog alone with my three cats and every time I do that, when I return, I am prepared to see damage to either the dog or one of the cats. I don't think they would ever kill one another but the cats go after the dog from time to time and the dog fights back. I think it is fairly common..... My cats fight with each other too.......

Lesson learned for you, I am sure.

kaycountrygal
08-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Sorry, I'm sure you were/are upset. It sounds as if you were doing all the right things. From now on though, I would not leave them in the same area unless you're present. It was good of you to take the cat in. If you hadnt, she would have had those kittens in the cornfield or woods. You did good.

Animal _lover
09-11-2011, 08:41 PM
I could not believe what I saw happen as the kitten was rubbing against the lab and the lab struck out and bit the cat in the head and we had to put the kitten down for the injuries were too great she would not of survived.
The dog grew up with cats and I never saw this circumstance happen in my wildest dreams.I smacked the hell out of the dog as I saw it happen and was out of my chair and to the situation immediately.BUT I know the lab will not remember just what happened hours later.
I buried the kitten along with the ashes of another cat we lost to laryngeal paralysis earlier this year along with my favorite dog's ashes Brandy who we lost last year March 03,2010 ,she would of been seventeen in June.So the poor kitten is in good company.
My problem is what to do as the kitten had a sister,both were feral born in our woods and were the only two that survived and were inseparable since my wife rescued them while i was away sailing.
Do I get a muzzle for the old lab? I do not want this repeated with the surviving kitten.
Tonight I will put the lab upstairs and lock the kitten in the bedroom until I can acquire a muzzle for the dog.I know it may not be the correct choice ,but what other choice do I have?
My heart is broken and the wife is really taking the tragedy poorly.We have been supporters of the animal community forever and are softies ,each of our three dogs were trays and the kittens were strays actually all our animals have been strays.we seem to attract them here in our woods.
Any suggestions as I am at a total loss as this was never expected and yet it happened...
THANKS for any suggestions how to keep this family as a whole,putting the dog down is not the answer.

Karen
09-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Sadly, a dog with a prey drive is not going to be trustworthy with the other kitten, so you'd have to be ever vigilant about never letting them be together. As you have seen, it only takes a second for tragedy to happen, so even if you are in the room, you likely would not be able to prevent it.

Maybe you should, sadly, consider rehoming the kitten? You've had the dog for a long time, but the kitten may adjust to a new home just because it is so young.

luvofallhorses
09-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Agreed with Karen. You have to think what's best for your kitten... rehoming her may be best so the same thing doesn't happen as your dog obviously has quite a prey drive and you can't train or love it out. Sorry for your loss, but even if dogs are raised with cats there is still a chance prey drive could kick in.

lizbud
09-12-2011, 10:58 AM
The dog grew up with cats and I never saw this circumstance happen in my wildest dreams.I smacked the hell out of the dog as I saw it happen and was out of my chair and to the situation immediately.BUT I know the lab will not remember just what happened hours later.

I'm glad you realize that "smacking the hell out of the dog" is not the
answer to any problem.