PDA

View Full Version : another putter question

sammi
11-07-2002, 02:14 PM
Could someone please tell me........ if we got a 2nd computer at our house (I am thinking maybe used cheaper one for my husband to use on occ.) can it be hooked up to the same line or would we need to get a 2nd hook up? Have dial up (thats all we can get for the time here). But I suppsose if we were both on at the same time 1 line wouldn't work...........:confused: :confused:

Karen
11-07-2002, 02:29 PM
If you didn't want to both be online at the same time, your current phone line would do fine, just like you can have phones all over the house that all use the same line.

But if you two are gonna squabble over who gets to be online ... maybe Buddy'll referee! ... or you should get a second line.

NoahsMommy
11-07-2002, 02:43 PM
If you wanted to be online, you couldn't do it at the same time...but otherwise, you can do that.

My hubby and I have DSL and have two computers, so we can both be online at once. It's really neat.

I agree, Buddy would be a cute "referee". :)

Cataholic
11-07-2002, 02:55 PM
DSL is the way to go....and check your cable service..I don't know if they are DSL, too, but maybe something would work out?

All Creatures Great And Small
11-07-2002, 03:14 PM
Not all areas of the country have DSL or cable yet, especially far from metro areas. We have them available here, but they were both more expensive than sticking with cheesy AOL and getting a 2nd phone line. We only pay $9.00 a month for the second line with Ameritech (the local phone company around here). We got it so we wouldn't tie up the phone while we're online - we still only have one computer. I am interested in maybe getting a 2nd notebook-style computer though, to take to work, or on road trips.

slleipnir
11-07-2002, 03:17 PM
I'd think you could for dial up, but I don't think DSL/cable is much more expecive in the long run. I know you can wit DSL, we have about 5-6 comps in our house all under one connection that works fine, we just have a spare one for the server com to make the others faster :]

popcornbird
11-07-2002, 04:39 PM
The way we did it....................we networked all three of our computers. We have DSL now, but even before we got it, we could use the internet on all 3 computers at the same time. They are all in different rooms, so there is a wire that goes around the house, but we put it in such a way next to the wall, that you can't really notice it. Its white so it seems to look like part of the wall. If you can network your computers, you will probably be able to use the internet on both computers without getting a second line or anything. Just network them and your online. (Only thing is, I THINK the main computer had to be online for the other one to go online when we had phone line Internet (or maybe it wasn't networked properly, i don't know). With DSL, we can use the internet on any of the 3 computers, at any times, whether the other computers are on or off. DSL is great. :)

wolflady
11-07-2002, 04:48 PM
My hubby and I are hooked up much like popcornbird described. We do not have DSL in our area, nor cable modem and satellite is way to expensive...so we're still on dialup. However, we have our computers networked together with a hub in such a way that my computer accesses the internet through my husband's computer, but that way we can both be online at the same time with only the one telephone line:) His computer has to be online though, for mine to be.

popcornbird
11-07-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
My hubby and I are hooked up much like popcornbird described. We do not have DSL in our area, nor cable modem and satellite is way to expensive...so we're still on dialup. However, we have our computers networked together with a hub in such a way that my computer accesses the internet through my husband's computer, but that way we can both be online at the same time with only the one telephone line:) His computer has to be online though, for mine to be.

Yeah that's exactly how our's was. My brother's computer had to be on for the rest of us to have internet access. With DSL, we don't have that problem. My computer is now the "host" but even if its off, the other computers still have internet access.

mugsy
11-07-2002, 05:20 PM
Mollie, Mike networked our whole house, so if you have questions feel free to contact us.

sammi
11-07-2002, 09:33 PM
Thanks bunches guys! This gives me something to think about.