PDA

View Full Version : What to do about stray cat

Uabassoon
11-07-2002, 01:10 PM
This summer a cat showed up on our porch, we named him Corktwo because he looks like Corkscrew. At first we couldn't get anywhere near Corktwo so we asumed he was feral and just wanted food. But now he's a real loverboy so we think he may have had a home at sometime. We are taking him in this month to get neutered because he is still in tact. We have serveral porch cats, and they all seem really happy, we feed them and pet them, and they have shelter because our porch is screened in, with a little flap open for them to come and go as they please. But lately Corktwo has been wanting to come inside the house. He sits on the outside of our windowsills and meows at us. This morning at 5 a.m. he was scratching on my sliding glass door begging to be let in. My roommate and I really can't take in another cat. When we signed our lease part of the agreement was that we fed the outdoor cats, so whoever lives in this house next will also be taking care of the cats when we leave. But I know that when I move it's going to be hard enough moving with two cats, I'll have such a hard time moving with three. I dont know that I will be able to afford a third cat. And my roommate can't keep him because her cat does not like other cats. We feel so bad for him, but we don't know what we can do.

Cataholic
11-07-2002, 02:23 PM
I see these as the choices- either officially adopt him into your home, or find a safe place for him to live.

NoahsMommy
11-07-2002, 02:31 PM
I tend to agree with Cataholic...(Funny, I 'm noticing that I agree with Cataholic a lot lately! :) ) anyway, if Corktwo (CUTE name!) seems like he'd be good in a family, maybe you could hunt for a new forever home for him, if you are unable to take him in. I will tell you that three cats is almost no more money than having two...expect for the initial vet bills.

Either way, know we are here for advice and support whatever you end up doing.

How are your cats with Corktwo?

Uabassoon
11-07-2002, 03:04 PM
I've never tried introducing my two cats with Corktwo because he's been outdoors his whole life and I worry that he could carry diseases and I don't want to expose my cats to that. When I take him in to get nuetered I hope I have enough money to get him test for FIP and FIV. But I'm just a college kid as it was hard enough comming up with the money to get him fixed. As much as I love cats I can't afford to spend too much money on a stray.

Uabassoon
11-07-2002, 03:47 PM
I've been thinking about this a little more. I think after I take him in to get fixed I'm going to try to find him a home. Most of the cats I feed on my porch are really wild or have homes but the owners don't let them inside so they hang out on my porch because it warm and sheltered. But Corktwo is different, he really loves people and he doesn't have an owner and he really wants to be someones pet and deserves to be someones pet. So hopefully he is FIV and FLV negative then I can try to find him a home.

NoahsMommy
11-07-2002, 05:00 PM
That's great!! Let us know how your hunt for a home goes. That is really nice of you to do all this for Corktwo....especially being on a "student" budget. :)

rosethecopycat
11-07-2002, 05:13 PM
Uabassoon,

I notice you are a music major? Bassoonist, right? I played bassoon through college. Now I'm a pro sax player. But we should be talking about cats! Who is that Meezer in your flashing pictures?
Can we see more pictures of him/her?

You are very nice for wanting to help the porch cat. I hope his tests go well and somebody takes him inside where he wants to be.

Rosethecopycat*

*copycat actually comes from my music copyist business, but it comes in handy with cat related things and when I copy projects like interior design, ala Christopher Lowell.
:p

Uabassoon
11-07-2002, 10:38 PM
Rose, yup I'm a bassoon player. I'm majoring in music performace. Here are some pictures of my little meezer Tibby. I adopted her a few months ago from a local shelter.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid36/pde9e7b5191e497f21f45626ae4e1a281/fd22121c.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid30/pcc68b5e757a4286317bb381b7112b56b/fd51b428.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid31/p57e818507b92f188ac4ed6f5532e01a5/fd4e50e6.jpg

krazyaboutkatz
11-07-2002, 11:45 PM
I'm so glad that you're going to try to find Corktwo a new home. Prayers are on the way for a clean bill of health. Please keep us posted about him. :)

toughCookie
11-08-2002, 12:49 AM
three cats is almost no more money than having two...expect for the initial vet bills.

UNLESS the cat has feline herpes or some other disease that will require vet visits and meds and the time to give them the meds up to maybe 4 times a day.
I really am not saying you shouldnt take the kitty in, I know I would want to, but just think of that first. the humane society could help you maybe, with where to take the kitty for low-cost neutering and shots. and there is the a.r.f (animal rescue foundation) the f.a.i.r. foundation and the hermitage, all no kill shelters here in Tucson. maybe they can help you place the cat...
of course it would be great if you could keep the kitty but sometimes as much as we want to we can't. this is a hard subject! I would want to keep it too!

rosethecopycat
11-08-2002, 07:27 AM
Nice to meet you and Tibby.

Now get back to your reeds.:D

jenluckenbach
11-08-2002, 07:41 AM
Corktwo is such a great name. I would definitely try to find him a home, he really sounds like he needs one. Of course I'd take him in (but I'm a pushover..hee hee).
And next comment:\
Tibbby is BEAUTIFUL !!!!!

Cataholic
11-08-2002, 09:04 AM
Hey Uba,
What are those REALLY large feet Tibby is laying next to? Do you have a life sized statute in your house???

Just wondering..

All Creatures Great And Small
11-08-2002, 12:50 PM
What are those REALLY large feet Tibby is laying next to? Do you have a life sized statue in your house???
I was thinking the same thing - they look suspiciously like the feet of a plastic light-up Frankenstein decoration we sold at work this year - am I right?

P.S. Cataholic - I can tell you're an attorney through and through - you wrote "statute":D

luckies4me
11-08-2002, 04:34 PM
You all just crack me up! Cute kitty nonetheless. ;)

Cataholic
11-08-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by All Creatures Great And Small
P.S. Cataholic - I can tell you're an attorney through and through - you wrote "statute":D

That is the Olde English spelling...it means, "really large thing, bigger than a statue..."...he he he....I tend to do that in speech, too. It really is only a slight modification...try it...say "statue" and now, "statute"...did you really say it?

Anyhow- what the heck is that big ole thing???

Uabassoon
11-08-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Hey Uba,
What are those REALLY large feet Tibby is laying next to? Do you have a life sized statute in your house???

Just wondering..

Yup, All Creatures Great and Small got it right. It's a light up Frankenstien. He some how showed up at my house after a party and never left.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid38/pd644a4a8c06b81446a28f3b0c2636eeb/fd10fbb9.jpg

jenluckenbach
11-08-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon

Yup, All Creatures Great and Small got it right. It's a light up Frankenstien
the real question is
"How did ACG&S KNOW it was a frankenstein statue?

All Creatures Great And Small
11-08-2002, 07:37 PM
I am the manager of the Seasonal department at a "large discount department store chain" (which shall remain nameless), so I spent my days stocking and straightening Halloween stuff last month, including the big feet of that Frankenstein monster on a shelf way above my head. Now, of course, I'm fluffing branches on Christmas trees :eek: 24 years working at this store has led to some major brain damage and mental illness:D :p :D I even DREAM about work most nights! Don't ever work in retail! It's worse than the Post Office!:p :p :p :p

Cataholic
11-09-2002, 06:57 PM
ACGAS- maybe we should have a contest, in which we all select parts of seasonal displays, and see if you can guess what it is!!!:D