PDA

View Full Version : Good news for luna!!!!

moosmom
08-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Luna is a Siberian Husky that kept getting out of her electric fence yard and killing the neighbor's chickens. They were going to euthanize her.

HOWEVER...

VERNON ——
The case of Luna the dog has been settled.

The Siberian Husky on Thursday was signed over to New York lawyer Richard Rosenthal, co-founder of the animal defense group The Lexus Project, who became involved in her case after learning about it on Facebook.

The dog was to be the subject of a hearing Thursday in Superior Court in Rockville, but the town of Tolland and Rosenthal came to an agreement prior to the hearing. The town withdrew the disposal order issued by Tolland animal control officer Tina Binheimer in June, and the judge approved the agreement.

Rosenthal said he will in turn give the dog to Ruth Hanley of Double Dog Rescue in Massachusetts, who will care for and rehabilitate Luna until the organization can find her a new home with someone who understands the breed and has a suitable home for the dog.

According to the settlement, Luna could return to Connecticut, but not the town of Tolland. But Rosenthal said the dog will likely stay out of state.

"Luna's now spent over a month in solitary confinement and it does take a toll, they are very social animals," said Rosenthal. "I'm told by people that visited last week she's starting to show some apprehension, a little bit of fear of people. So she just needs to quietly be reintroduced to being around people and see that it's OK."

Luna has been in the Tolland animal pound since June 20, after she escaped from owner Paul Doyle's Slater Road property and twice killed chickens belonging to Dan Heald.

After the first incident on June 14, Binheimer issued an order of restraint and told Doyle he had until June 18 to build an enclosure to contain Luna, who had frequently gotten out despite an invisible fence. Doyle said he never complied with the order and on June 20 Luna got out and attacked Heald's chickens a second time.

After the second attack, Binheimer said there was no other option but to issue an order of disposal for the dog, which stipulated that Luna had to be put down by June 21.

Doyle initially complied with the order, despite being informed by Binheimer that he had 14 days to contest it. But after bringing Luna to the Tolland Veterinary Hospital he changed his mind and contested the order at the recommendation of the vet.

The Facebook support page in support of the dog attracted the attention of Rosenthal and his group. Rosenthal filed a civil lawsuit and received a temporary restraining order against Binheimer and Tolland Animal Control. On Thursday he planned to challenge the legality of the order issued by Binheimer before coming to an agreement with Tolland's town attorney Richard Conti.

Heald, who had the legal right to kill Luna when he caught her in the act of killing his chickens, had already said he is in support of the dog finding a new home out of state and was on hand Thursday to hear the outcome. Doyle said he is willing to reimburse Heald for the chickens that were killed, which he said were worth $13 each.

As part of the settlement The Lexus Project, which worked for free, agreed to pay the town $660 to cover fees for Luna's stay in the dog pound.

YAAAAAAY!!!! Another happy ending. I always believed that Luna shouldn't have been punished for something that wasn't her fault.

chocolatepuppy
08-04-2011, 04:59 PM
A very good ending. :) You're so right Donna, it was not her fault!

Karen
08-04-2011, 06:39 PM
A happy ending all around. And hopefully if Mr. Doyle gets another dog, he'll get one with less of a prey drive.

dab_20
08-04-2011, 07:10 PM
A very good ending.

I just don't understand how it's legal to decide to euthanize a dog for killing chickens. First of all, it's a simple matter of containing the dog. Okay, if they can't solve it, take the dog away from the owner and rehome him. But euthanization? Ridiculous. Dogs are DOGS, people seem to forget. They are carnivores who have a prey drive. It's not the dogs fault for going after little running creatures, its his instinct!

IRescue452
08-05-2011, 06:11 AM
Another case against invisible fences. My neighbor's lab used to run through his all the time, after a ball or another animal. He had no motivation to take the shock to go back into his yard though.

pomtzu
08-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Hard to wrap my head around the idea that this dog was going to be put down over some $13 chickens. Incredible!!! :mad: Glad to hear that there is a happy ending to this story. :)

Taz_Zoee
08-05-2011, 09:34 AM
What got me was this line "Heald, who had the legal right to kill Luna when he caught her in the act of killing his chickens."
Thank god this man had a heart and wished no harm to Luna.

So glad this has a happy ending. :D :D

ToBeEvergreen
08-05-2011, 02:22 PM
A friend posted this story on Facebook yesterday, I'm so glad to hear that Luna is going to be in a foster home after all of this!

lute
08-12-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm thrilled to see Luna is safe! Siberians are good at killing chickens! lol My RB Gracie killed a number of chickens in her day!