PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Brushing Teeth

Freedom
08-03-2011, 08:36 AM
A friend suggested this. When I mentioned it to my vet yesterday, she said it works very well.

http://www.petzlife.com/catalog/oral-care-products/oral-care-gel-w-wild-salmon-oil.html

It comes in peppermint and salmon flavors.

You can get it at a good price on amazon.com

Randi
08-03-2011, 10:03 AM
That's cool, if it works. :) I bought one called Plaque Off. You sprinkle it over wet food and your cat is supposed to clean his teeth after eating.

However, recently I bought 4 childrens tootbrushes and Fister will let me brush his front teeth. Actually, I think he likes it. :D

lvpets2002
08-03-2011, 11:48 AM
:) I am sure it works well.. However I do not like the idea that the second ingrediant is Grain Alcohol..

phesina
08-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Every other day I get out a tube of Kitty Toothpaste and seven little cotton pads. I wet a pad and squeeze a bit of toothpaste on it, grab the nearest victim, and wipe the outside of the teeth on one side of the jaw. Then, still holding the victim, I put a bit more toothpaste on the pad and then wipe the outside of the teeth on the other side.

The first five are pretty well resigned to it and let me do it.. though Poppy and Sparkler will dash away when they see me coming. Even though I hide the pad and toothpaste from sight, they read my mind (as all cats can do, as we all know) and can tell what I intend to do and disappear.

The two Senior Ladies are the hardest ones. Since they just came to me a few months ago at ages about 17 and 20, and I doubt had ever had their teeth brushed in their lives, they both struggle (though they're easy to pick up to do it to).

I wind up scruffing each and holding her up to wipe each side. Lavinia squirms and tries to get away some, but I can usually succeed with her, wiping all the way to the back. Princess Poppaea Sabina Eugenia fights as to the death! Even scruffed she does not go limp like a baby kitten held by mama, she goes after my hand with both front paws, nails extended. I can't usually get all the back ones.

I think they probably both have some dental problems in their way-back teeth (at their age and not having been brushed in the past), but I can't afford to take them in for dental work at this time. Neither of them has a problem with eating, so whatever there might be back there, it at least doesn't seem to be causing trouble for them.

IF this Oral Care Gel works as well as they say it does, that might be a very promising alternative to the above processes.. but I'd like to learn a lot more about it and hear a lot more about people's experiences with it before I get some. (Good question, Helene, about the Grain Alcohol.)

If any of you folks try it, please post about how well it works with your cat(s). Thanks for the tip, Sandie, and thanks for any feedback!

ChrisH
08-04-2011, 05:59 AM
I bought one called Plaque Off. You sprinkle it over wet food and your cat is supposed to clean his teeth after eating.
That's the one I recommended over in the dog thread post. Here's a copy of said post in case anyone is interested. Check out the link, the included video gives a lot of info.

This is good stuff and it really does work! Plaque Off (http://zeusandco.com/component/content/article/14-product-lines/251-plaqueoff)No brushing needed, just sprinkle on food.

Edit.

Contains only specially selected seaweed. Rich in natural iodine. Free from artificial colours, preservatives, gluten and sugar.

But not recommended for animals undergoing treatment for hyperthyroidism.