PDA

View Full Version : The Jealousy Wars

wolf_Q
11-07-2002, 11:52 AM
How do I describe my dogs? Jealous!! Of whom? A certain red-headed nordic dog.

It seems that neither Smokey or Reggie had shown even the *slightest* interest in toys or rawhide for years. And now, I find Reggie sneaking over and stealing Nebos toys, growling, and darting into his kennel to hide them. Smokey stole his rawhide, took it to his bed, and just about bit my hand off when I tried to get it back. Yesterday, my mom was giving a treat to Smokey and Nebo in the kitchen. She called and called, then finally got Reggie to come and join them. She gave him the treat, he took it, growled, and darted downstairs to his kennel. Was Nebo bothering him? Not at all.......Nebo is really quite friendly and gentle with them in the house...he doesn't bother them at all anymore..........

Nebo used to be the problem........as he would jump and bite them, playing. Now he doesn't really pay attention to them (he has Lady to play with, why bother with the old boys who hate him?) and Reggie seems to be taking advantage of this and growling even more.

Reggie finds it very amusing to make me mad. I think he's trying to give himself some sort of ego here. He likes to follow me to let Nebo out of the kennel, get right in Nebos face and growl and bark at him (of course he runs when Nebo comes near). Whenever I call Nebo inside, Reggie is right there to growl at him. When Nebo runs down the stairs, Reggie is there to growl and bark at him. Of course, Reggie...well..........he growls *all* the time......it's a Reggie thing........he's never been exactly *vicious* I'm not afraid that they will hurt eachother. It's just annoying!

I find it so sad that Reggie won't even *try* to get along with Nebo. He's putting himself in a self-imposed isolation. Smokey is Reggie's buddy, and I fear that Smokey is not going to be around for much longer. Wouldn't it be nice if Reggie could find a buddy in Nebo? It's not going to happen. :(

Actually.........I look down right now, and they are both laying by my feet.....could there still be hope? I guess I will have to wait and see. :)

iceyshiver21
11-07-2002, 12:07 PM
my dogs have the same propblems so i had to split my pack, Bishop and Dutchess, and then Odie, Buck, and Annie. Bishop dont get along with other dogs execpt Toby but we dont have him no more, and if he gets Dutch mad shes growls and he backs of cuz shes like his mother and the Alfa Female, Annie Buck and Odie were well soicalized so they get along great, everything works until someone tries to change rank.

Could it be maybe they want more attention, or all the attention like Bishop, or that they just....found a new game that isnt exactly like it should be, i dont know im just thinking off the top of my head.:confused:
Only time will tell........

boscibo
11-07-2002, 12:15 PM
I had to stop giving our three dogs rawhides and stuff like that - too many fights. They still can have treats that can be eaten fast (meaty bones - those milk bone things), but they all have to be in their (separate) places first before they can have them.

And I can really see the jealousy when it comes to pets - especially Bandit. When any one of the other dogs (and sometimes even the cats) are getting petted and he's not - he comes right over and barges in, demanding that he get pets too.

manda99
11-07-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by boscibo
I had to stop giving our three dogs rawhides and stuff like that - too many fights. They still can have treats that can be eaten fast (meaty bones - those milk bone things), but they all have to be in their (separate) places first before they can have them.

And I can really see the jealousy when it comes to pets - especially Bandit. When any one of the other dogs (and sometimes even the cats) are getting petted and he's not - he comes right over and barges in, demanding that he get pets too.

Sounds like my house and Bandit could be Pork Chop. He is SO like that. And he has a space issue. Always RIGHT next to you. Paw usually on your lap.

anna_66
11-08-2002, 07:28 AM
Sounds like he's trying to be the boss now that Nebo, doesn't care about him, sorry, but it sounds so funny:D even though I'm sure it's not. Poor Nebo, not liked by Reggie, even when he isn't annoying:(

popcornbird
11-08-2002, 07:54 AM
That must be so cute! A little tiny dog bossing a big pup like Nebo around! But poor Nebo! :( I know it must be annoying, but the way you wrote it, it sounds cute too! I hope they'll become friends as time passes. Maybe Reggie is waiting for Nebo to grow up into a fully grown doggy so he can be friends with him. He may not like the idea of playing with a puppy! LOL! I hope they'll get over with their jealousy and eventually become best friends.