PDA

View Full Version : Do I Like Being Old ????

wombat2u2004
08-01-2011, 08:42 AM
As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend..

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM or sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60 &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love .. I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.
They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning grey, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face.
So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.
As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore..
I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer my own question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.. And I shall eat dessert every single day(if I feel like it).

pomtzu
08-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Do I like being old? Not necessarily - but it beats the alternative! :eek:

Marigold2
08-01-2011, 10:22 AM
That is beautiful my friend.

Karen
08-01-2011, 11:16 AM
I kept looking to find who write it, just found it posted all over the place - Wom, do you know the source?

kokopup
08-01-2011, 01:27 PM
I'll second that man.

I can add to the friends that leave this world not knowing the freedom of aging, the young people that squander their youth knowing that the golden years for them will only bring despair.

Being a little older than you, I can add to you list of my music the 50's.

I admit that I'm not much of a beach person, but have to endure the two trips a year that we make to Gulf Shores. It is a beautiful place with the same jet set group found everywhere, but instead of the bathing suit I find the same looks of disapproval when I put on my spandex bike riding shorts. While my wife lounges on the beach I explore coastal towns from Apalachicola to Daulphin Island.

Forgetful would be an understatment. I wonder sometimes how the memory can be so fragmented. I have trouble remembering my own nieces name but my wife can see an old actor on tv and ask his name and blip out it comes with no hesitation. This is some obscure cowboy that no one remembers. Why did I remember Bob Steel when it has been 40 years since seeing him in
any movies.:confused:

When looking back on my life in total, I see a book or maybe a novel there.
No, I didn't accomplish the things my father did but I do not lament this as being some failure on my part. I am comfortable with who I am and where I have been. Only heaven knows where or when it will all end and I'm ok with that.

I am thankful for the years I've had especially the last 6 since my Cancer treatment. My body had to yield to some barbaric treatment that left me unable to do a lot of the things I love dearly. Ill take what I have and rejoice since my stepbrother wasn't as fortunate as I, leaving behind a beautiful friend and sister-in-law.

I am most thankful for I darling wife and Koko. My wife knows better than ask
who is top dog around here. I'll just say I need both very much and I thank God for sending both to me in my times of need.:)

happylabs
08-01-2011, 02:31 PM
I'll drink to that! :D :p ;)

Freedom
08-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Karen, sounds like Erma Bombeck.

Bonny
08-01-2011, 05:04 PM
i'll drink to that! :d :p ;)

cheers! :d

wombat2u2004
08-01-2011, 08:38 PM
I'll drink to that! :D :p ;)

Me to. Whatcha drinkin ?? *HIC*

wombat2u2004
08-01-2011, 08:41 PM
I kept looking to find who write it, just found it posted all over the place - Wom, do you know the source?

Don't know. I received it yesterday from my mate in Nova Scotia. I'll ask him.
I just did a Google search on it to. Seems that it's "Author Unknown".