PDA

View Full Version : Caught one of my three feral kittens!!!

ramanth
11-07-2002, 09:53 AM
I looked out my bedroom window and there was Patches! And I could see at least two kittens. I threw on some clothes, grabbed a can of sardines and raced out there. Patches came up to me imediately but the kittens scattered. Nearby it looked like someone tossed some bread out for the cats.

Well, I spotted all 3 kittens and left little piles of sardines near where they were. They were tentative at first but gobbled them up. While Patches was eating out of my hand, one kitten ventured closer and would eat what fell out of my hand onto the ground and then gave a few licks at my hand. I tried to snag him with my other hand but he wiggled between my fingers. Doh!

Well, the brown and white kitten had vanished after eating his pile of food and both black and white kittens were in a drain pipe. Well, one started backing out and I snagged her! She started crying and Patches came over but as soon as I held the kitten close, Patches wandered off indifferent.

A woman was coming down the stairs and she asked me what I was going to do with the kitten. I told her how I wanted to find her a good home. She was relieved because she was afraid I was going to kill the kitten! :eek:

It seems there is an abandoned apartment on her floor and the cats have been living in there!

She offered to help find them homes and/or help catch them.

The kitten is now shut in my room with a litter box, food, water, and some toys.

Kia thinks the kitten is very interesting and the kitten didn't react badly to Kia. Never hissed or scratched at. She's really scared. She was shivering when I first got her home.

Now she's under my bed and I'm at work. She's got a full belly so she's been eating good. No fleas and quite bright eyed and really really scared.

Any advice to get her to warm up to me?

moosmom
11-07-2002, 10:06 AM
WAY TO GO KIMMY!!!!! I am so proud of you! Give the kitten time to adjust to his/her surroundings. Put a radio in there and play classical music. Keep a nightlight on. When you have free time, go in and sit down on the floor and either read out loud so he/she gets used to your voice. Bring treats and lay on the floor so you're at eye level with the kitty. Try to spend as much time with him/her as you can. That will let her know that you're not going to hurt her. Eventually he/she will probably come out on her own, knowing that you are the one feeding him/her.

You might want to put a cat carrier out there with sardines leading up to it. It sounds like you might not need a trap.

Once he/she has come out, try and get her to the vet to be tested and vaccinated. There are usually low cost vaccination clinics at PetSmart, Petco, etc., every two weeks. If you can, just to be on the safe side, get some Revolution. Put one dose on the skin in between the shoulder blades. This way if there ARE any fleas or flea eggs or earmites, it'll take care of it.

Give me a call tonight at home if you can. I'll be there. If it's busy, check online, chances are I'll be here posting.

You are to be commended girlfriend. Your persistence and patience have paid off!

Have you tried to pick Patches up? If so, what a better way to put her in a carrier and bring her inside. I have a feeling you're not going to need a trap. Just alot of sardines.

ramanth
11-07-2002, 10:14 AM
I have a radio playing some music for both the kitten and Kia. I REALLY need to get laundry done, so after I walk Kia and spend some time with the kitten, I'm going to head over to my parents for a short while.

I don't have a PetCo or a PetSmart near me. :( The Humane Society does low cost neutering but not vaccinations. Should I just take the kitten to my local vet? I have a cat carrier at my parents house I could use. I can get it tonight.

I didn't go up and look at the apartment where the cats are living so I'm not sure if it's something we can get into.

I think Patches would let me pick her up. I haven't tried.

I don't have a computer at home. Can I call you after 9p.m.? That's when my free long distance starts. ;) :D

czicat
11-07-2002, 10:58 AM
good for you Kimmy! one more happy kitty who will not have to worry about her next meal or a warm place to sleep. it is so heartwarming to hear these success stories~~

we can do better by the animals~~one little furry face at a time!

good job, and many more

cat

ramanth
11-07-2002, 11:48 AM
Awwww thanks. :o

I got her a vet appointment today at 6:15. :)

NoahsMommy
11-07-2002, 01:06 PM
That's great!!! Let us know how the others are doing...I'm sure you'll do well in catching the others... :)

moosmom
11-07-2002, 03:06 PM
Kimmy,

Since Patches will let you pick her up I would try and get her in the carrier. I'm glad you made an appt with the vet. Let me know how you make out. Give me a call after 9:30. I'm going to dinner with my sister-in-law and want to make sure I'm home when you call.

I would definitely go to the Humane Society for the shots and spay/neuter. It'll be alot less than a vet.

You did a great job!! ;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-07-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by czicat
good for you Kimmy! one more happy kitty who will not have to worry about her next meal or a warm place to sleep. it is so heartwarming to hear these success stories~~

we can do better by the animals~~one little furry face at a time!

good job, and many more

cat

Here, here! I just have to warn you about one thing. If you keep him/her for any length of time, you might just find it harder and harder to find the "right" home, meaning Kia might just end up with a little sister/brother. ;) :D

Just be slow and patient, and she/he will come around once it knows it's safe and being fed.

Congratulations and good luck with the others and with finding them all new homes. :)

ramanth
11-07-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Kimmy,

Since Patches will let you pick her up I would try and get her in the carrier. I'm glad you made an appt with the vet. Let me know how you make out. Give me a call after 9:30. I'm going to dinner with my sister-in-law and want to make sure I'm home when you call.

I would definitely go to the Humane Society for the shots and spay/neuter. It'll be alot less than a vet.

You did a great job!! ;)

Donna, should I take Patches before we get the other kittens? I'd hate to take away their momma.

I may be at my parents house.. like I said I need to do laundry and do you think it's a good idea if I take the Kitty with me? So she can get used to me while I'm waiting for my laundry?

Local Humane Society doesn't do shots. Only low cost spay/neuter.

Hopefully the vet tonight can give her a clean bill of health. She looks good... no ear mites or fleas that I can see.

sasvermont
11-07-2002, 03:28 PM
Great job so far, but I am a bit confused. Are the kittens old enough to be weened? Sounds as though they are, if they are eating dropped food. If that is the case, I suppose the Mama should be spayed asap since she could be pregnant already, again. She would be my first to the Vet. Then the little ones. The little ones should be easily fooled into climbing into a trap. Maybe someone could loan you a trap. I have a Have-a-heart one that I bought to keep on hand for time like this. Anyway, I would capture as many as you can, concentrating on the source of the problem first, as in MAMA cat. If you are lucky, the kittens will be males and can be altered and released pretty quickly. Ferals are often happier outside - but lots depends on the # of generations feral they are. If MAMA (Patches) is tame, then I doubt if you will have trouble getting the little ones.

Just be careful that the little ones that are left, can protect themselves without Patches around.

Keep us posted.

I am so glad we don't have any stray kittens around where I live. I would have a house FULL of them.

Good luck. And hey, what about a picture! I am sure you will be busy making plans for these little furballs and Patches.

Such a nice MOM you are!

ramanth
11-07-2002, 03:47 PM
I think she's weened them off her milk since they ate the sardines and I'm sure they eat the dry food that another resident puts out. But they still come to her when she calls and call for them she does. They are never far from momma, which is why I'm hesitant to take her away from the remaining two.

Since I have caught one, I want to make sure she is healthy.

moosmom
11-07-2002, 04:01 PM
Kimmy,

I'll call you the minute I get home. SAS is right, if the kittens are already weaned, they're just hanging around mama to find a food source. It's probably best that you concentrate of mama first since she just might very well already be pregnant.

I'd leave kitty in the room while you go to your parent's house. It might be a little stressful for her.

Talk to you tonight. Time to get outta work. WOOHOO!!!

Cataholic
11-07-2002, 05:34 PM
I cannot wait to hear how things go! I want you to rescue the other ones, too!!!!

ramanth
11-08-2002, 07:14 AM
Kitten (I really need to name him) is really a he, not a she. *laughs*

The vet estimates him to be about 9 weeks old and he's a healthy two pounds. He has no ear mites, had a little flea dirt but no fleas that we could see, and tested negative for feline lukemia. :)

I had the vet give him a capstar and I got a two month dose of frontline for Kia. :)

I did take him over to my parents and he spent the majority of the evening sleeping in mine, my mom's, and dad's lap. :D

He slept with me for most of the night, then decided to make some noise and make noise he did!

He piddled on my bathroom floor and hasn't pooped or eaten at all since I got him.

Although he still runs from me, 99.9% of the time if I can corner him, he won't run and I can pick him up.

He has the radio today and Kia gave me a bit of a dejected look when I left, but she'll get over it. ;)

moosmom
11-08-2002, 08:29 AM
Kim,

You might want to put him in a small room with his kitty box, food and water so that he know he needs to use the box. That's what I had to do when I first got Mollie Rose 9 years ago.

BTW, I looked up directions on Mapquest. It'll take me an hour and a half to get to your house on Sunday. Can you see if your boyfriend can get directions going on I-75 to I-96? I think it might be a more direct route and take me less time.

I'll try and call you tonight! Any other kitty sightings??

ramanth
11-08-2002, 08:43 AM
Donna, I don't really have a small room. It's either the bedroom/bathroom or living room/kitchen and right now I have him shut in the bedroom/bathroom.

You'll see what I mean on Sunday. :)

No more kitty sightings. I'll look tonight after work. :)

I'm not sure what you mean about having Andy give you directions. He'll probably just tell you what I suggested... take I-75 North to 696 West.

moosmom
11-08-2002, 10:49 AM
Kim,

That's okay, I've got someone working on it. I can't wait till Sunday!

ramanth
11-08-2002, 11:16 AM
Okeydokey! Donna, do you have a digital camera?

moosmom
11-08-2002, 06:25 PM
Kim,

YOU RULE GIRLFRIEND!!! I'm so glad you got Patches. I will bring my camera on Sunday as well as a cat carrier ;) . Hey, why not??? Who knows?? Maybe I'll bond with one of them. Now, back to baking cookies for the HEADS fundraiser. Tootles!