PDA

View Full Version : Food Switch

Pinot's Mom
07-31-2011, 08:15 AM
Well, well, well...

Little Miss Picky isn't as picky as we thought! We were SO concerned switching food to the new Wilderness (more natural, less garbage that she doesn't need) would be SO traumatic....were we wrong!! No problems here - began combining it with her beloved Science Diet and it's as if she had always eaten it.

WHEW!!:)

Randi
07-31-2011, 09:05 AM
I've had a look at this site (see below!), posted earlier on PT, to see if I could find Wilderness, I couldn't. Who makes it? Is it healthy?

A few days ago I just bought two bags of dry food for Fister, one Royal Canin Sensitive. He loves that, if I don't feed it all the time. It's just that he HAS to eat something! The other one was Royal Canin Mobility.

The vet and his assistant were both there, so we had a chat about which food would be good for him. One suggestion was Royal Canin Senior S/O. Bags with S/O on them are apparently good for him.

Some time ago I sent this link to the vet and I asked if they had had a look at it. They said they don't have space for more kinds of food, but will probably stick with Hills, Royal Canin and Specific - the Vetenary kind.

The othe day, I gave Fister a few pieces of raw liver, which he LOVES, the vet said that it was better then giving him raw cod or shrimps. Can't remember why.

http://www.petfoodratings.net/cattable.html

mrspunkysmom
07-31-2011, 10:42 AM
I've had a look at this site (see below!), posted earlier on PT, to see if I could find Wilderness, I couldn't. Who makes it? Is it healthy?

Randi, Wilderness is made by Blue buffalo and is only available in the U.S and Canada. I thought I had posted some stuff for you but I can't remember right now.

mrspunkysmom
07-31-2011, 10:51 AM
Randi, this is from my reply on 5-23. I like what I see on their site.

You could always write Blue and see if they are available in Europe under another name.

Orijen is available in Denmark

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/storeLoc...tributors.aspx

http://www.frommfamily.com/dealers-internet.php

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/storefinder.php

Online retailers might be your answer, but shipping could get costly.

good luck

Randi
07-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Thank you! I did see the link before. :) There are a few not too far away that sell Acana and Orijen cat food. Not sure which of them I should try - Fister is 15 now. Well, they will know in the shop. I was hoping my vet would look at the list of all the foods, and get the best ones.

Pinot's Mom
07-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Randi, sorry I wasn't specific about the food, I thought it was well known. I have struggled with this decision for some time; we all want to do what's best for our furkids, and in looking at the ingredients on Science Diet, I just thought there really had to be a better way! Then, the last time I went to buy food, there was a big display for Blue Wilderness, and I decided it was a sign. ;) It was the time to start the switch, and that was the food I had been considering. I mean, really, what cat needs corn and chicken by product meal with gluten? I don't process corn well; how can a kitty?

That being said; I did raise my RB kitty Jamara on Purina cat food for 18 years, but there weren't alternatives then. I'm glad there are now, and grain free, more real meat based foods are more prolific. Wait until I start mixing in the canned version (which I have always done with S/D); it's DUCK!!:D

katladyd
07-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Blue Wilderness dry is not only healthy for a cat on just about any normal or specialized diet, but also I have never seen a cat turn their noses up at it. Now, only one of mine like the wet Wilderness, so I feed them Wellness canned, they all love that. Yeah, I'm just a slave to my cats...:rolleyes:

Barbara
07-31-2011, 03:21 PM
Orion loves Orijen- and it sounds really good from the package. No cereals. Some of the Hill's really has cereals as the first ingredient- that is not what a cat would choose.

krazyaboutkatz
08-01-2011, 12:21 AM
I'm glad that Pinot likes her new food.:) It's hard to find a dry and canned food that all cats like in multi-cat households. I feed Storm, Sky, Pearl, and Ziggy Stardust Wellness Core grain free dry and Wellness grain free canned. They all love it.:)

Unfortunately Alani & Blaze have very sensitive tummies and this food was too rich for them.:( They eat Chicken Soup For The Cat Lovers Soul Light dry formula. It's higher in fiber and it's helped them with their diarrhea/loose stool problem. I still can't feed them too much canned food so I've been giving them fat free chicken broth and tiny amounts of canned food every few days.

I was told by a lady at a pet store that most cats who used to eat grocery store canned food seem to like the Wellness canned food. It must be pretty tasty stuff.:)

catmandu
08-02-2011, 09:40 AM
We have tried so may fiods, My Ctas now are on Puina Pro Plan Chicken and Rice.:love:
Along with Euanuba Kitten for My Newest Kitten!!!:love::love:
She loves her dinners and owers her head and gulps!!!:love::love::love: