PDA

View Full Version : Popcicle sticks for squirrels

kuhio98
07-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Has this ever happened to you?

You find a scrap of paper with a notation. It was obviously written by you – because you recognize the handwriting.

But, you have absolutely no idea why you wrote it down and what it means?

Last month I found a note in a jacket pocket that reads “popcicle sticks (for squirrels)”
I figured out – because I remember the approximate time last Fall when I last wore the jacket – that I was at our cabin in the mountains when I wrote it. So, I figured it had something to do with the cabin – where we have many bird and squirrel feeders set up.

Bobcat and I finally figured out what our cryptic note meant. Can you?

I’m enclosing 2 photos of “Little Beggar” at the feeding station. One was taken in Summer and the other in Fall. (The season the photo was taken has nothing to do with the reason for the popcicle sticks. But the feeding station does).

Any guesses?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/Alaskana/Squirrel001.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/Alaskana/Cabin026.jpg

pomtzu
07-29-2011, 03:51 PM
To attach ears of dried corn???

Edwina's Secretary
07-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Squirrely definitely needs a place to sit at the table. So I will guess to make a little chair for her?:D

Or perhaps to make little stairs - the better to get to dinner?

Freedom
07-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Nope, no idea! :D

RICHARD
07-29-2011, 04:12 PM
The PCS' are for the walls of the feeding station.

I would like some privacy while I ate my nuts?

lizbud
07-29-2011, 04:31 PM
I thought the sticks could be used to sit on, but can't be strong enough
for that can they? :confused:

sasvermont
07-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Do you put peanut butter on them and serve them to the furry one?

Taz_Zoee
07-29-2011, 05:59 PM
To make pegs to go up the pole easier?? Like they have on electrical poles for the workers to go up.

Although, I have no clue how you'd attach them.

Karen
07-29-2011, 06:08 PM
To make pegs to go up the pole easier?? Like they have on electrical poles for the workers to go up.

Although, I have no clue how you'd attach them.

That was my thought, squirrel ladder! Penny nails would attach them just fine, or even a staple gun!

kuhio98
07-29-2011, 06:44 PM

That was my thought, squirrel ladder! Penny nails would attach them just fine, or even a staple gun!

You 2 go to the head of the class!
Our other bird/squirrel feeders are made from trees. The poles are round and small and the squirrels have no problem scampering up and down them. But, this one is made with a 2x4 and it is so wide that the squirrels have to spread all 4 arms and legs as widely as possible just to hold on, which means they usually drop the seeds and nuts. :(

So, my bright idea was to tack popcicle sticks on the board to give them a ladder. (See crude drawing attached).

Not one of my brightest ideas -- since we have 55 acres of sticks, branches and twigs, why not just use materials on hand? :D