PDA

View Full Version : Good questions to ask volunteers on an application for a doggy rescue group?

ToBeEvergreen
07-28-2011, 11:12 AM
My mom has a dog rescue group that is in the making for the Hartford Dog Pound.

Little background: the dogs there, due to food and housing shortages, have 10 days to be adopted before they are put to sleep (unless someone is willing to foster them). This is where we got Cassie, who was found roaming around Hartford.

Some dogs are dropped off, others found wandering around.

Living conditions there are not too good. It's like a barn with a concrete floor.

There are volunteers, but not many, that care for the dogs. Some people are foster parents.

We're looking for food, time, love, home and money donations through our volunteers. My mom is currently working on a draft of the volunteer form.

Do you guys have any ideas for questions we can ask on the volunteer application?

Freedom
07-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Here is a link to the volunteer app for Small Paws Rescue. This will give you some ideas, I am sure. This is used for folks who foster, or don't but do help w/ transports, so at some point they have a dog in their custody.

http://www.formsite.com/smallpaws/foster/index.html

I am very happy to see volunteers organizing to help at the Hartford CT shelter. We often have their postings on CL here, for dogs at the end of the 10 days.

ToBeEvergreen
07-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Here is a link to the volunteer app for Small Paws Rescue. This will give you some ideas, I am sure. This is used for folks who foster, or don't but do help w/ transports, so at some point they have a dog in their custody.

http://www.formsite.com/smallpaws/foster/index.html

I am very happy to see volunteers organizing to help at the Hartford CT shelter. We often have their postings on CL here, for dogs at the end of the 10 days.

Thank you, that is a BIG help! My mother and I have belonged to a greyhound rescue group for years, so we're getting help from some of the people there, and a lot of people around here are eager to help out! It's very heartwarming.

cassiesmom
07-28-2011, 09:12 PM
I copied this from the Web site of the shelter from which I adopted Cassie (Harmony House for Cats). Hope it helps! -- Elyse

------
To be able to adopt the same day you visit, we ask that you come to the shelter at least one hour before closing time, but recommend allowing as much time as possible. After all, this will be a new member of your family, and is a very important decision.

When you arrive at Harmony House, you will be assisted by one of our adoption counselors. These trained staff members are ready to help you select the right cat or kitten for your unique lifestyle and home environment. In addition, counselors will offer you information on the types of cat food and litter your new pet is used to, what type of scratching posts are most popular with cats, plus advice on introducing a cat or kitten to a pet already in your home.

All Harmony House adopters must be 21 years or older, currently employed, live in a house, condo, or apartment where cats are welcome, and have telephone or cell phone service.

To ensure that the adoption process runs smoothly, please bring:

A driver's license, state photo ID, or passport to verify your age
A driver's license, state photo ID, or utility bill to verify your current address
A copy of your telephone bill, gas bill, or electric bill to verify your telephone number.
If you pay your bills online, you may print a copy at home to show the adoption counselor. We do not allow visitors Internet access on our computers at Harmony House.

We require that all the members of the household be present at the time of the adoption—which includes family, roommates, and especially children. Our staff can better advise you on which cats would be suitable when they can observe the adopter(s) interact with various cats and kittens.

luvofallhorses
07-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Applications vary from rescue to rescue and shelter to shelter and all their policies are about the same.. I wish I had the application we use for our shelter, it is pretty thorough. Good luck finding volunteers, if you are just based off of foster homes and not a shelter.. have them attend adoption events where they get to handle a dog and show them off.

Freedom
07-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Please send me your email in a PM.

My friend volunteers at the West Warwick (RI) animal shelter; she told me she will bring home a copy of their app today, scan it in and email it to me. I will send it along to you!

ToBeEvergreen
07-29-2011, 02:33 PM
THANK YOU ALL!!! I'm typing up drafts of the app form today for my mom, and this is a BIG help! My mom says thank you too!