PDA

View Full Version : Mt Timpanogos painting

wolf_Q
07-26-2011, 12:10 AM
I've done very very little landscape painting and it's something I've always wanted to be good at. So I decided to do a landscape painting and since I love our local Mt Timpanogos and try to hike it every year I made that my subject. This is a view you get on the hike, its one of my favorite parts of the hike because its when you've finally reached semi-flat ground and aren't heading straight up a hill. Anyway, here it is, I need to take a better photo of it- it's 18x24 in oils. I don't really know what I'm doing I took a painting class last semester and it was the first time I'd really used oils. As it turns out, I like oil way better than acrylic, I guess you don't know until you try it. I plan on doing quite a few more landscapes if my ambition doesn't end.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt95/wolfQU2/timppainting.jpg

Karen
07-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Nice job! Yes, oils and acrylic are quite different to work with, aren't they? I like the sky, clouds can be hard to paint!

wolf_Q
07-26-2011, 12:23 AM
Yeah I honestly hated them at first I was so used to acrylic and how fast they dry I didn't know what to do. It took me a few test paintings in the class to figure out how to work with them and I'm still learning of course.

caseysmom
07-26-2011, 12:26 AM
Its beautiful, you did great! When you decide to sale make sure you let us know. You know how much I love Utah and the landscapes.

krazyaboutkatz
07-26-2011, 12:49 AM
It's beautiful.:D I think you did an excellent job. You're very talented.:)

chocolatepuppy
07-26-2011, 05:07 AM
Very nice Amy!:)

wombat2u2004
07-26-2011, 05:21 AM
I think it's terrific.
Even tho I prefer the softness of watercolours, I think you have captured a very nice softness with your oils.
Well done. ;)

Freedom
07-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Well done! Is that the Mt. in your siggy, to the left behind the dogs?

I too think the cloud(s) came out really nicely!

phesina
07-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Beautiful!

sana
07-26-2011, 09:55 AM
I love this picture and its amazingly, wonderfully beautiful! Its a beautiful picture and you painted it quite well! Good Job! I'd love to have a talent like yours in painting. I'm not really good at it. And again, the picture looks FANTASTIC!!

sana
07-26-2011, 09:56 AM
I too think the cloud(s) came out really nicely!

Certainly did come out well! :D They look so real! :)

Asiel
07-26-2011, 06:45 PM
That's a very good picture for your first attempt with oils. Oil is my favourite medium, I like the way you can simply remove something you aren't satisfied with and redo it. Acrylics do dry too fast and I find watercolours lack depth.
Can't wait to see more of your paintings.