PDA

View Full Version : Have any of your cats almost killed you?

Lizzie
07-22-2011, 12:23 PM
About a month ago I adopted a seriously handicapped cat from a local animal control. While I was at their adoption space, in a small dog grooming facility, I noticed a large black cat who pretty much filled the sides and top of their narrow cages and was literally beating on the glass door to get out - so I adopted him too. There was a second black cat who had been there about 3 months also, so I adopted him as well. I knew I would be able to get the two black cats into the adoption arena of the sanctuary where I volunteer so the only real madness was spending all that money on cats I was going to give up as soon as possible.

The second black cat (Jack the Lad) is highly adoptable and the shelter will take him on August 18. I know the date very well because I repeat it in my head like a mantra every time he does something awful.

The afternoon after their negative FIV/FeLV tests, worming, etc. I let them upstairs where the doors to the back deck were open. (Back deck is two stories up and chicken-wired all around.) I'd worked a six day week and crashed on the daybed waking up at twilight. I checked the cats as I closed the deck doors and realized Jack was missing. I scoured the house - no Jack. I used a flashlight to scan the roof, both at the back and, from the road, the front - no Jack. His second name became The Scarlet Pimpernel.

I didn't sleep much but at 4am I heard a faint meow and he was on the deck. I still don't know if he was hunkered down on the side of the roof when I checked or if he managed to go over the roof, jump down 12' onto the front and then do the reverse to return.

The next day, I went out to feed the stray cats, came in to fill their water bowl and went out again to find a third black cat outside. I hadn't felt or seen him go past me at the door and I wondered again if he'd gone over the roof and down. Third name - Harry Houdini.

The same evening I carried a garbage bag out and saw him sneak through with me. I dropped the bag, lunged at him, my feet skidded on the wet decking and I fell - on my nose mostly since I wasn't letting go of him. Of course, I ignored the blood streaming down my face as I grabbed him fully and got him inside. I looked a right mess and was afraid I'd broken my nose, but I was lucky - except for a swollen bruised nose, bruised cheek and temple, split lip and two bruised knees. When I saw a doctor for a tetanus booster he said he was surprised I hadn't broken my nose and even more surprised I didn't have a black eye. Fourth name - A Right Bloody Pest.

The next night I was woken by the sound of a major crockery smash. He'd jumped on a table right onto a large pasta bowl and a couple of plates, knocked them onto the floor and smashed all. Fifth name - unprintable.

Apart from repeatedly trying to trip me up by winding around my ankles at the worst moments and having to be shut up in the bedroom every time I have the front door or deck door open, he's been okay for the past few days. However, I'm always wondering just what he's going to do to me next.

I'm not used to these normal young cats. Mine are all elderly, sick or disabled.

Has your cat ever almost killed you?

By the way, the second cat is staying. I called him Nevermore and he's wonderful.

happylabs
07-22-2011, 12:48 PM
What a story! I have never had that much excitement with my 3.

Buddy, does, however, figure 8 me constantly when I am in the kitchen. I trip over him a lot and apologize to him. I love a cat at my feet. :love:

momoffuzzyfaces
07-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Does pushing cans of food off on your head count? :D

Lizzie
07-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Does pushing cans of food off on your head count? :D

Well, I'd count it - that has to hurt and leave a big bump. And the shock of it could kill you!

I once had a cat jump down from a ceiling high climber tray right onto my head as I was sitting on the sofa below. It's a wonder he didn't break my neck.

Medusa
07-22-2011, 02:00 PM
It's never been that bad but when they were kittens, Creamsicle, Yodie and Coco Puff gave me a run for my money, especially Coco Puff. He still does.

I enjoyed your story but am so sorry that you got banged up in the process. I especially like the name "unprintable". LMAO! :p

Killearn Kitties
07-22-2011, 03:13 PM
:D :D You will get your reward in heaven!

I have had various scratches and bites, but I'm sure you don't even count those.

Barbara has some interesting names for her Kiri too, who woke me up twice with her claws sticking in my scalp! :eek:

pomtzu
07-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Well - not a cat - but a dog did a number on me years ago. One of my RB Lhasas was blind from diabetes, but she got around quite well. One morning as I was getting my lunch ready to take to work, she wandered into the kitchen without me realizing it. I was getting something out of the fridge and turned around to take it to the counter on the opposite side of the kitchen, and there she was - at my feet. I over-compensated trying not to fall over her since I didn't want to hurt HER, and tripped and fell against the counter and broke a rib! :eek:
Now that I think of it - one of my son's cats caused me to break a toe. I was opening the door to take my dogs out, and one of his cats came sneaking up. I kicked my foot out to block her so she wouldn't sneak out, and cracked my toe against the door frame. The toe never healed and I had to have a couple of screws put in about a year later, when it finally became impossible for me to wear anything but slippers without being in pain. :eek:
These 2 events pale in comparison to your adventures. Hoping your face, nose, and knees are on the mend!

jennielynn1970
07-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Your post cracked me up so bad, I'm sorry for laughing at your expense, lol. I can just picture everything you're saying and it makes for a great picture book!!

Oy, Jackie Boy... you better behave!!

Lizzie
07-22-2011, 04:47 PM
I'm very glad I'm making everyone laugh, I posted it that way. And when you have to go in to work or go to the doctor and explain that you fell on your nose, you have to do it in a "laugh with me" way so you can cope with how ridiculous it sounds.

The doctor made me feel quite queasy by looking up my nose and telling me he was checking there wasn't blood in the septum because it could rupture. I hadn't taken it that seriously, just washed my face thoroughly in hot water and soap right away and slapped an ice pack across my nose and cheek for several minutes. The only thing that concerned me was checking on the date of my last tetanus booster.

I think Pomtzu's injuries were much more serious than mine since they involved breaks. However, she probably got a lot more sympathy and a lot fewer laughs from people.

KK - claws in your scalp sounds horrible because you can't really see how to ease them out. Ouch!

I'm glad he's very adoptable, imagine if I had to keep him!

Freedom
07-22-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm glad he's very adoptable,

Only if you don't tell potential families what he is like!

Gosh you had me laughing too. I take it he does not want to be an indoor only cat? :D (Wonder what makes me think that?!)

Tommy Underfoot is constantly wrapping around our ankles. Well, except when he becomes Tommy Getdown!

Lizzie
07-22-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm certainly not going to advertise him as:

"Suicidal? Adopt this cat!"

I'm going to say he's very active and curious, and quite a character, although I will tell the adoption counselors what he did so they can check he goes to a thoroughly indoor only home.

He didn't go far, just onto the front porch (unless he really did get down from the roof and went for a neighborhood wander on Saturday night). He didn't go rushing off, although when I grabbed him on Sunday I was afraid he might. He was a stray so he might have realized he's better off not straying again, and he loves his food. I suppose I didn't need to panic but I thought "I've just paid for your testing and worming and I'm not going through that again!"

He's a Jack Getdown too but that seems minor compared to the rest.

He belongs with a family who will keep him busy and they can all entertain each other. I think he'd be okay with children because he'll let me pick him up and walk around with him baby-style and he's only been with me a few weeks. Truth be told, I'm starting to enjoy him - but HE IS going out for adoption. I've rather overloading myself with special needs cats right now.

catmandu
07-23-2011, 09:41 AM
I almost fell over Scrappy Two, who loves me as she lay across the stairs.:cool::cool:
But that is up to me to walk around My Cats , I should know better being Catmandu.:love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
07-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Wow!!! What a story and what a cat.:) I'm so sorry to hear that you hurt yourself and I hope you'll heal up quickly. I also hope that Jack will find the purrfect home for him.:) I've only been biten and scratched before by my cats.

lizbud
07-25-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm certainly not going to advertise him as:

"Suicidal? Adopt this cat!"

I'm going to say he's very active and curious, and quite a character, although I will tell the adoption counselors what he did so they can check he goes to a thoroughly indoor only home.

LOL :D:D I have one black youngster (Joey) who isn't trying to
kill me outright, but certainly succeeds in driving me round the bend
often. He's a door darter.:rolleyes:

Randi
07-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Lizzie, I thoroughly enjoyed your story! :D

Hope you'll heal up soon! :)

Lizzie
07-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Thank you for your good wishes, everyone. My nose and temple bruises are in the greenish yellow stage so I'll be glad when that is over.

I never truly believed Jack could make it over the roof and down to the front of the house because I've had several cats who loved to be on the roof and they never got down at the front. I'd see them sitting on the edge of the roof above the garage or front door but that was as far as they got. And, the cats who have visited me over the years for food, no matter how pushy and lithe, have never jumped up from the front.

However, on Saturday I found out that Jack really has been using the roof as a getaway route. Based on my disbelief, I opened the deck doors early on Saturday without shutting him up first. He was gone in a moment. I caught him in the garden in the afternoon and he's been incarcerated in a bedroom ever since, and very unhappy.

I'm going to have to talk to the shelter about what kind of home he should go to. Like most shelters, they ask for indoor homes only for all their tame cats. I think this guy has to go to a home where the guardian is so vigilant he never gets past them at the front door (which means no children), or a home where he can be indoor/outdoor.

Given the way he has behaved I've been wondering if he is one of those cats that simply hitched a ride on something like a movers van. Goodness knows where he really came from (no microchip.)

momoffuzzyfaces
08-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Chester and Winnie tried to kill us last night. Winnie chased Chester and he jumped on the cook stove to get away from her. Seems one of his feet pushed the knob of the back right burner just enough so it turned and let gas out without the burner lighting.

When I came out of the bathroom I smelled gas. Luckily I found it and turned it off. I aired the room out but couldn't sleep well all night. I was afraid they would do that again and gas themselves or blow the house up.

My RB kitty Leroy did that once at the old house. I was able to take the knobs off that stove so he couldn't do it again. I can't get the knobs off this stove though. :love:

Randi
08-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Oh MOFF! :eek: Can you cut a piece of cardboard to fit the on stove? That might them keep them from doing it. Then, it might be too interesting for them and they'll all sit there during night and turn it on. :rolleyes:

pomtzu
08-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Moff - try putting tape over the knobs so they can't accidentally be turned on. It's kind of a pain when you want to use a burner - having to take tape off and then put it back on again, but it could be a lifesaver in the long run.
That would have scared the be-geebies out of me. Glad my stove is electric and the knobs are on the back, not that my son's cats have ever ventured on to the stove tho.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Oh MOFF! :eek: Can you cut a piece of cardboard to fit the on stove? That might them keep them from doing it. Then, it might be too interesting for them and they'll all sit there during night and turn it on. :rolleyes:

I don't want to incourage them to get up there. Chester thought he was running for his life. He usually doesn't get up there.

I think I fixed it so the monsters can't turn the gas on. I found an old piece of thick cardboard. I cut small stips and they fit great behind the knobs. The knobs won't go down or turn so the gas won't come on. They are so small, the kits probably won't notice them. All I need to do is pull them out when I need to use the stove and put them back again.

I'll also keep extra pans sitting on the burners to discourage them from any monkey shines. They can't reach the cardboards from the floor and if they try from the top, falling pans will frighten them. There is a tiny rim along the top of the stove so hopefully, that will keep the monkeys from seeing the cardboad.

I feel lots better. I didn't let them watch me put the cardboard in to keep them from wanting to investigate.

phesina
08-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Oh my God... How scary! And how lucky that you caught on before it was too late.

Ingenious solution you came up with, too, MoFF.

Well done!