PDA

View Full Version : Fake Blueberries‏

wombat2u2004
07-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Fake blueberries in muffins, pancakes, cereal etc. Even Tim Horton muffins. Because it is cheaper.
They're made entirely from sugar, corn cereal, modified food starch, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, artificial flavour, cellulose gum, salt and artificial colors like Blue #2, Red #40, Green #3 and Blue #1.

We know that real blueberries are full of antioxidents but look at what several BIG food companies are doing to make for huge profits. Quite the video!

Isn’t this something?
Nothing but disregard and greed!

Who would have thought Kellogs or Betty Crocker products deceiving? Watch for yourself, they are killing us little by little.

http://naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=7EC06D27B1A945BE85E7DA8483025962

pomtzu
07-22-2011, 11:00 AM
And this is why I only buy plain cereal, and put on my own real fruit. As for blueberry muffins - It's only Dunkin Donuts for me !

Freedom
07-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Crikey! :eek:

happylabs
07-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Doesn't surprise me at all. We are basically being deceived by many products on the market here in the US. You literally have to read the find print on everything you buy. I buy a lot of foods in the natural foods section of the grocery store. I can't afford to eat totally organic but I do try to watch what I buy.

Lizzie
07-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Thank you for posting this. I do read labels and cook from scratch so I'm unlikely, except at staff parties, to find myself eating fake fruit, but I've passed it on to a friend who admits she is very bad at reading labels and then panics when I point out what she's really eaten.

The whole scam makes you sick at heart although food industry scams have been going on for centuries and I guess fake fruit is less harmful than some fillers used in past centuries and what goes on in some other parts of the world.

wombat2u2004
07-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Crikey! :eek:

Hahahahaaaa.....are you Steve Irwin's twin ???? :D

momoffuzzyfaces
07-23-2011, 12:48 PM
I keep bags of frozen blueberries in the freezer. When I make pancakes or muffins, I just toss some in. I like making banana/blueberry smoothies. They taste lots better than fake ones for sure. :love:

JMCsGirl
07-23-2011, 12:52 PM
It doesn't surprise me. I LOVE Jiffy Blueberry Muffins but all you have to do is take one look at their little blueberry pellets to know there is really no blueberries in that. And the Pop Tarts didn't surprise me either, I mean who really thinks there are fruit in those sugar pucks? I am not a big fan of pop tarts.

Karen
07-23-2011, 02:42 PM
As someone with food allergies, I ALWAYS read ingredient labels before consuming anything. I love blueberries, just the real thing or me, thanks!

Asiel
07-23-2011, 07:49 PM
This really surprised me. I've never heard of fake blueberries. We live where the berries are abundant and the stores and restaurants buy them fresh from pickers and freeze them. If someone has a strong back and can spend hours in the bush they can make $50/ for a 6 litre basket out here. I would freeze some and also make preserves for the winter months. Some of my friends picked to sell them.

IRescue452
07-23-2011, 08:49 PM
I read the ingredients on anything I put in my mouth. Rarely do I ever get processed food.

kitten645
07-23-2011, 10:08 PM
If you think this is bad, you REALLY don't want to research Chicken McNuggets! *shudder*

Karen
07-23-2011, 10:20 PM
If you think this is bad, you REALLY don't want to research Chicken McNuggets! *shudder*

Hey at least the first ingredient in Chicken McNuggets IS chicken, unlike those "blueberries."

White boneless chicken, water, food starch-modified, salt, seasoning [autolyzed yeast extract, salt, wheat starch, natural flavoring (botanical source), safflower oil, dextrose, citric acid], sodium phosphates, natural flavor (botanical source).

Battered and breaded with: water, enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), yellow corn flour, bleached wheat flour, food starch-modified, salt, leavening (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, calcium lactate), spices, wheat starch, dextrose, corn starch.

kitten645
07-24-2011, 07:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKSoiDtdi9s

moosmom
07-24-2011, 07:38 AM
I KNEW there was a reason I haven't been to McDonald's in like FOREVER!!!! Thanks for posting the video. It's definitely an eye opener!!

pomtzu
07-24-2011, 08:30 AM
That McDonald's video wasn't exactly appetizing, but I don't think it's any worse than what we don't see in packages of dry and processed foods - like ground up insects or rodent droppings. Yup - they're in there more often than we would really like to know about. :eek:

Asiel
07-24-2011, 09:26 AM
That McDonald's video wasn't exactly appetizing, but I don't think it's any worse than what we don't see in packages of dry and processed foods - like ground up insects or rodent droppings. Yup - they're in there more often than we would really like to know about. :eek:

Ukkkk--- One place I never set foot in is McDonalds. After reading about the junk that goes into their foods it turned me off. And I find their restaurants aren't that clean either. My brother visited one of the baked goods plants and he was saying that the big vats of dough contain mouse droppings that just get mixed up in the batter. He did mention a few other unsavory things so that put me off buying cookies and stuff from that specific company but I'm sure they're all much alike. I purchase as little processed foods that I can .

Randi
07-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Revolting!! Jamie Oliver has done a good job teaching kids about food. I'm glad I cook my own food. :)

IRescue452
07-24-2011, 02:57 PM
I really don't see the problem is money. Blueberries grow easily and in mass. They're expensive in grocery stores because people don't know any better. I only pay $1 a pack for my all natural Bagels Forever brand bagels and they have real blueberries and no artificial colors. I shop a lot in small organic market type stores and my food budget is only $10-20 weekly. I manage to eat mostly organic or at least natural ingredient foods.

Asiel
07-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Not every place has wild blueberries, we're very fortunate for having them where we live. But the supermarkets do sell the farmed ones and I see people buying them in winter...I find they have no taste compared to the wild ones.

wombat2u2004
07-24-2011, 09:28 PM
I really don't see the problem is money. Blueberries grow easily and in mass.

Yeah, but when you're making and selling a couple of million blueberry muffins a day, the difference in cost between real and chemical blueberries can be a great deal of money.
And it is about money to manufacturers, they are in business to maximise their profits. ;)

Lady'sOtherHuman
07-24-2011, 09:38 PM
As someone with food allergies, I ALWAYS read ingredient labels before consuming anything. I love blueberries, just the real thing or me, thanks!

One of these summers we'll have to get you out here to do some blueberry pickin'. The kids and I just went to Castle Berries right down the road from my house and picked about 10 pounds of blueberries. Mmmmmmm.

wombat2u2004
07-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Every Saturday morning, a kid up the road from us sets up a stall out the front of his house, and sells apple pies that his mother has baked (they are a Plymouth Brethren family.) We call it The Feathery Legs Pie Stall (because their women don't shave their legs) :D:D
Anyway....they are the best pies you ever tasted, no chemicals, they are all natural. A taste test between their pies and and pies one would buy at a supermarket reveal a vast difference in taste....sure....one is full of apples, the other is full of who knows what.

NicoleLJ
07-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Every Saturday morning, a kid up the road from us sets up a stall out the front of his house, and sells apple pies that his mother has baked (they are a Plymouth Brethren family.) We call it The Feathery Legs Pie Stall (because their women don't shave their legs) :D:D
Anyway....they are the best pies you ever tasted, no chemicals, they are all natural. A taste test between their pies and and pies one would buy at a supermarket reveal a vast difference in taste....sure....one is full of apples, the other is full of who knows what.

I agree. I make all my own cookies, pies, cakes and so on. I can't stand preprocessed meals. I prefer home cooking. DOug once said he didn't realize there was really a difference. So I got him to buy his favorite canned stew and then I made a home made stew. Which do you think he prefered? :D He has not bought any canned stews, soups and so on since. lol

wombat2u2004
07-25-2011, 06:42 AM
I agree. I make all my own cookies, pies, cakes and so on. I can't stand preprocessed meals. I prefer home cooking. DOug once said he didn't realize there was really a difference. So I got him to buy his favorite canned stew and then I made a home made stew. Which do you think he prefered? :D He has not bought any canned stews, soups and so on since. lol

Yep, the supermarkets are full of the quick fix chemical impregnated meals :D