PDA

View Full Version : Polydactals....msg/pic

Glacier
11-06-2002, 09:59 PM
Since my post about the kitten ended up drifting to polydactals..I thought I would start a new thread and show off my polydactal girl, Miss Polly Paws!

She's a rescued kitty. She was trapped by our local animal control and was set to be put down, but the officer is a softy and just couldn't do it. I had been in the pound earlier that week and commented on her. I had left my number as I was looking for a friend's missing kitty. He called and asked if I wanted Polly so I raced into town and nabbed her before the vet got there!! She's semi-feral, but she's come a long way since she first arrived here! She's actually quite affectionate at times now.
These are her back paws.
http://www.seemesmile.com/photos4/2359792a.jpg

These are her front paws.
http://www.seemesmile.com/photos4/2359797a.jpg

And finally here's the little beauty herself!

http://www.seemesmile.com/photos4/2359810a.jpg

krazyaboutkatz
11-06-2002, 10:02 PM
She's very beautiful. :) None of my cats are polydactals though.

Fuzzy317
11-06-2002, 10:03 PM
Some very interesting pictures. I had never seen a polydactal before. I learned something today, thanks. She is very pretty. :)

AmberLee
11-06-2002, 11:16 PM
She's lovely. What is your estimate of her breed?

Uabassoon
11-07-2002, 01:28 AM
SHe's so pretty. Zasper was a polydactyl. Aren't their big feet so cute.

Nomilynn
11-07-2002, 01:45 AM
Wow what a suprise she was! I was looking at those feet expecting a tux or a striped tabby and here she is looking partly Siamese!! :D :D

She is gorgeous. I knew a cat that was a poly but his toes didn't stick out like her front feet; they looked like the back feet. He was also a HUGE cat.. like 25 lbs of pure muscle, so his feet really didn't look all that big. He wore a harness for small-medium size dogs!! :eek: :eek:

What a pretty girl Polly is!! :D

Vio&Juni
11-07-2002, 04:20 AM
Polly is so sweet, her coloring is so nice and she has the cutest face :)

neko1
11-07-2002, 05:34 AM
She's so cute! I love her back feet.

11-07-2002, 05:37 AM
What exactly is a "polydactyl" ??:confused: :confused:

jenluckenbach
11-07-2002, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by lut
What exactly is a "polydactyl" ??:confused: :confused:
It means they have more than the usuall number of toes. I have seen documantation of cats with up to a total of 26 toes..............Just imagine clipping all those nails !!!!!!!!!

As for they super lucky Miss Polly Paws, you have yourself a winner there !!!!!!!!!

Felicia's Mom
11-07-2002, 06:15 AM
I have never had a polydactal or seen one (except in pictures). Aren't they more common in certain parts of the country?

smokey the elder
11-07-2002, 08:52 AM
Two of my foster kittens had 24 toes each (7 fore, 5 aft.) The front feet actually had nearly double paws. The entire litter they came from (4, 2 died) were extreme polydactyls, as is their mother.

Edwina's Secretary
11-07-2002, 08:58 AM
What a beauty Miss Polly Paws and with her mask already in place! Wow......

Glacier
11-07-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by AmberLee
She's lovely. What is your estimate of her breed?

Thanks, I just call her a siamese mix. My vet says she's a mismarked snowshoe.

rosethecopycat
11-07-2002, 11:54 AM
Wow! A 'poly' and in a 'doily' pose!

My Snowy has been doing a lot of 'doily' posing lately.

She's gorgeous.

Felicia's mom.

The concentration of 'polys' are in Key West Florida, at the Hemimgway house where I think 70% of the cats are 'poly' I don't know how many total cats there are, right now. Over a hundred... it's a fun place to meet some cats.

And there is a concentration around Boston, that would agree with the theory that some came over around the time of the Mayflower.

Vermontcat
11-07-2002, 12:33 PM
Miss Polly Paws is beautiful! With all those cute toesies I bet you like to play "This little piggie" with her!:)
I have met a few polydactyl cats and they seem to make great tree climbers with all the extra grippers they have.:D

Cataholic
11-07-2002, 12:43 PM
What a proliferation of piggly-wigglys on Ms Polly! I love the way she is doily'd on the couch! I think Pollys are special...wait a minute, I think all cats are special!

wolflady
11-07-2002, 01:35 PM
OMG! :D What a beauty!! I just love polydactyls! Those big feet are just too too precious! The front paws remind me of winter gloves! She's a doll! I'm so glad you rescued her! More pics, more pics!! :D

**hugs**

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-07-2002, 03:30 PM
She is such a beauty that I can see how the officer of the pound would have a hard time!

I've been to the Hemingway House in Key West. Interesting place, and lots and lots of cats. I know I've see polys before then too, but I don't remember where. It just seems like they have super big paws - which is so cute. :)

wolflady
11-07-2002, 04:33 PM
T&P's mom, wasn't the Hemmingway house great??!! I went on a cruise for my honeymoon, and Key West was the first stop. Of course we had to eat Key Lime pie and then visit the Hemmingway house. I just loved all the polydactyl cats there! Did you notice the signs that said "please do not pick up the cats"....of course I accidentally (on purpose) didn't notice the sign until it was too late! I was already cuddling an adorable tabby kitty with enormous paws! I got some pics of the Hemmingway kitties, I may have to scan and post! :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-07-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
T&P's mom, wasn't the Hemmingway house great??!!

Yeah, it was really neat. I don't remember seeing the signs, but as soon as I bent over - didn't even get close to picking one up - some guard or something was there saying "Do not pick up the cats!" I just thought geesh buddy, I just wanted to pet the thing! So after that I felt like he was watching me so I didn't get too close to them. :( I did love their paws though, and did take pictures too. Hmm.....wonder where those pictures are now......:rolleyes:

Cookiebaker
11-07-2002, 06:22 PM
Here is a pic. of Marigold's extra toe:

http://www2.innevi.com/~emenay/poly01.JPG

...and the pic. that it came from...

http://www2.innevi.com/~emenay/gold04.JPG

I love the spots on the pad of her toes...they are so soft & kissable...:o :D

Glacier
11-07-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker

I love the spots on the pad of her toes...they are so soft & kissable...:o :D

What a beautiful cat! I love her markings.

I wouldn't know if Polly Paws' pads are kissable...attempting that would likely lead to bloodshed and facial scarring!:eek:

jenluckenbach
11-07-2002, 06:36 PM
WOAH now those are big feet :eek: :eek:

Vio&Juni
11-08-2002, 02:15 AM
I think I wrote once already about how much I like Marigold's paws, in the cardboard thread. She's a super-cutie! And the way she sleeps in that cardboard box, mmmmm, I wish I was there to smooch her.:D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-08-2002, 11:35 AM
Awwww, Marigold is adorable! I love her big paws, and I can see how her spots would be so kissable. She looks like a real sweetie. :)

Miss Meow
11-09-2002, 07:46 PM
Oh my god, Polly and Margold are so sweet. Thanks for posting the pics and telling us more about the condition.