PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky

boomersooner
07-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Do any of you out there live in Northern Kentucky? We are going to Louisville for vacation.....we know we want to go out to the racetrack and the Louisville Slugger Factory. I think we will drive over to Lexington and mess around. Any other suggestions for things to do in around the Louisville/Lexington area? Thanks!! I've been to Kentucky before and remember it to be a beautiful state!! Looking forward to the trip!

Catty1
07-21-2011, 10:35 PM
RICHARD just moved to KY recently...but I can't recall where he is located. Maybe someone else here knows.

wombat2u2004
07-22-2011, 09:50 AM
RICHARD just moved to KY recently...but I can't recall where he is located. Maybe someone else here knows.

He lives in a brown house with a red letterbox out front.

RICHARD
07-22-2011, 09:52 AM

I am in LV but too new to the area to know my rear from a hole in the ground.

The Track is closed to racing at the moment, the Derby museum is open, tho.

I hear Lexington has beautiful areas, but that is about it from me, as a tour guide!:(

We do have a minor league BB team, check the schedule.

The Louisville Bats is the team!

Craftlady
07-22-2011, 04:30 PM
FYI Northern Kentucky is located just 25 miles south of the Ohio River. Newport KY is an awesome place to visit. Area around the Northern KY Convention Center (great restaurants). Newport Aquarium is great day trip. Riverboat gambling on Ohio River is fun. Florence KY has baseball team part of Frontier League.

Lexington KY is considered (western part of state). Horse park,
Derby Downs, are big attractions.

boomersooner
07-23-2011, 08:00 AM
Thanks, everyone!!!

boomersooner
07-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Just got back today and had a wonderful time....Anyway, if any of you are ever in the Lexington, Kentucky area, please visit a horse farm called Old Friends....It is a retirement facility for racehorses. Most of the horses they have there were rescued or bought to save them from slaughter....At one time, several of the horses we saw were worth millions of dollars, yet they had to be rescued from Japan slaughter houses or a similar death here. They are beautiful, happy, and seem to know how lucky they are. I don't know much about horses, but evidently, stallions don't usually let people pet them and such....unpredictable, I guess, anyway, here, they have stallions who are just the friendliest, funniest horses. The oldest is 30, and the youngest is like 4 or 5. Barbaro's nephew is there, as is one of the horses who portrayed Seabiscuit in the movie. Anyway, it is run strictly on donations. They don't call themselves a rescue because some of the horses who live there are supported by their owners. It is a wonderful place! I'll try to post some pictures later.

boomersooner
07-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Here is the website....they are also on FB

http://www.oldfriendsequine.org/