PDA

View Full Version : Fruit

HoochsMommiee
07-21-2011, 08:05 PM
does anyone know if watermelon is good 4 dogs if so what other fruit is good 4 them

Freedom
07-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Mine have bits of watermelon now and then, no issues.

I don't give them much as it is so full of water. I don't need in house accidents, lol.

Apples, pears, bananas, oranges - Sugar loves ALL fruits! - and veggies too. Lacey looks at me like I'm trying to poison her. :D

HoochsMommiee
07-21-2011, 08:27 PM
ok i will get a lil of each and see how they react i know they do notlike carrots

Karen
07-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Just don't give her raisins or grapes, as they can be toxic to dogs in high quantities.

A few years ago at the Pet Talk gathering in Findlay, I surprised some of the folks by asking whose dog wanted my watermelon rind. They all thought I was nuts, but i told them our dogs used to enjoy them. I offered one to Kimmie(Ramanth)'s Chipper, and he practically inhaled it! Chipper has some food allergies and issues, but gobbled that down to no ill effect and asked for more! :)

Keep in mind all Freedom's charges are Bichons, so not much in terms of size. And in hot weather, dogs need hydration just as much as we do!

It's always best to introduce one new food at a time, just in case. Our Saint Bernard, Freckles, LOVED carrots, cooked sliced carrots were her idea of extra good treats!

Freedom
07-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Just don't give her raisins or grapes, as they can be toxic to dogs in high quantities.

Duh, I should have added that. Thanks Karen.

luvofallhorses
07-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Watermelon should be fine, I know a lot of people who feed it to their dogs as a summer treat and they enjoy it. :)

JMCsGirl
07-22-2011, 04:19 PM
I know this is fruits, but could run over into veggies too. Onions are another one of those toxic foods that most people don't think about. My dad's dog used to LOVE onions until I told dad they were toxic to dogs.

Lady's Human
07-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Don't forget Freckles with her corn cob addication as well. :rolleyes:

Karen
07-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Oh, yes. After we had corn on the cob, we first made the mistake of throwing the corn cobs on the compost heap, as we had done in the years before Freckles. Well, that was a mistake, as she would pull them out of the pile to chew on them! And then she's do her "vulture" impression when we were eating corn. We made her do her cob chewing outdoors, though, as it would get a little messy! But she loved 'em!

Bonny
07-25-2011, 06:07 AM
What about raspberries? Missy & our grandpuppy Max love to eat raspberries when we are out in the patch. Our horses love to eat the watermelon rinds. :)

Shelteez2
07-27-2011, 02:22 PM
I'd be careful with corn cobs...
http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/nutritioninformation/f/FAQ_corncob.htm?nl=1

dukedogsmom
07-27-2011, 11:45 PM
Dasher likes carrots, apples and bananas. He also eats green beans :p But then, he's a Lab and they'll eat just about anything, I think.