PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal depression

catnapper
07-20-2011, 07:25 PM
I have heard of seasonal depression. Its usually associated with fall and winter due to shorter, darker days and cold. Leave it to me to develop seasonal depression during nice long days of sunshine :rolleyes:

I've had a really hard time this summer with depression. I have been sleeping 9-10 hours a night, and 14 hours is not unheard of from me this summer. I've been craving comfort foods, and have absolutely no interest in anything. I've just become a ho-hum blob. In looking back at my files, the doctor noticed I do the same thing every summer. Then the fall comes and I come alive.

The doctor gave me new meds today and hopefully I'll see a differencei n a couple weeks.

Anyone else experience this?

mrspunkysmom
07-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Could it be the heat? I've never done well in the heat., It wears me out. Sometimes the sun itself wears me out even when it's not hot.

I take lots of naps in the summer.

Karen
07-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Hey, who wants to be normal and have SAD in the winter, right? I wonder if it is connected with summer air quality - or lack thereof? I dislike the hot humid weather, and if I wasn't good about taking my allergy meds, would be miserable, but thankfully no depression!

happylabs
07-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Hope you are feeling better soon. I have been down in the dumps lately too. I was all excited for my son's wedding last month and once I got home from the weekend wedding festivities, I just sort of felt a let down.

Hang in there.

kittycats_delight
07-21-2011, 06:09 AM
Kim my depression is worse in the summer/spring as well. My doc said it is due to the brightness. He said it happens often with people because it makes them feel exposed and vulnerable. I can't sleep at night. I am on 2 mg of minias (sleep aide) to sleep at night and I am lucky to get 5 hours and that is broken sleep not all at one time. But I can sleep the entire daylight hours without any aide. I want to be up when it's dark and sleep when it is light. The blinds in my room are closed all day otherwise I end up with sever panic attacks. It is the same thing for hubby & for my bil. It really is difficult to function. Know you are not alone.

((((HUGS)))) It will get better when the season passes. Take care ok.
:love: Michelle

pomtzu
07-21-2011, 11:32 AM
And I thought it was just me! :eek: I get down in the summer too, especially these past few years. I always attributed it to the heat, since it bothers me more each year. I'm mopey, grumpy, not interested in anything, and could sleep practically around the clock. Nothing motivates me, I can't concentrate on anything, and I have no appetite either. I should probably ask doc about it but my next scheduled appointment isn't till the end of September and by then I should be coming out of whatever this is. I hate to make an appointment just for this issue. :(
Is there anything anyone does to combat it, without the use of any meds? I'm open to suggestions.

wombat2u2004
07-21-2011, 12:06 PM
The Summer Slump ????
Go check this out..............

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/health-22424941/have-a-bad-case-of-the-summer-slump-26004489.html#crsl=%252Fvideo%252Fhealth-22424941%252Fhave-a-bad-case-of-the-summer-slump-26004489.html