PDA

View Full Version : Oreo went to the Rainbow Bridge today

Soapets
07-19-2011, 01:31 AM
It has been a LONG time since I have been on here........ Our "Chocolate Beagle" (his mother was a Chocolate Lab, his father a Beagle) Oreo has been fighting congestive heart failure for several years. He was 14 years 3 months old. We have had him since he was 6 weeks old: in May of 1997 we brought him home to live with us. He has been on medicine for several years for his heart, and lasix to help get rid of the fluid buildup. We've had him in to the Vet on an urgent basis several times over the past 8 months, for an extra injection of Lasix, and an injection of Atropine as well the last two times, so I took him in expecting the same today. He was really struggling today, and we don't have central air conditioning in our home and we're in the middle of a heat warning. We do have a window air conditioner, ceiling fans and floor stand fans......but it is still pretty warm in our house, as well as outside........He had a temperature of 104, and I don't know what a dog's temperature is supposed to be but the Vet said it was a little high. The Vet was going to let Oreo stay there in a kennel for a few days so that he would be in an air conditioned environment. But Oreo was struggling SO hard to breathe, and his tongue was kind of blue, and he was vomiting up saliva, and it was just heartbreaking to watch him struggle. Then he started wheezing and gagging on the saliva. At that point the Vet said that it was breaking HIS heart to watch Oreo struggle so hard to breathe. He wanted me to call my husband, who is working a lot of overtime hours right now, to talk with him. Together we all decided that Oreo's quality of life has reached the point where he is struggling to breathe so hard, and it is only going to get worse, not better, so maybe it was time for Oreo to join Sandi (who went to the Rainbow Bridge in January of 2010 at the age of almost 16 years) and Angel who went to the Rainbow Bridge in May of 2009) at the Rainbow Bridge. The Vet asked me if I wanted to be present when Oreo was euthanized and I said yes. So Oreo went peacefully to the Rainbow Bridge and he stopped struggling so hard to breathe...........It is so strange not to have him here at home tonight. I can't sleep. His food and water bowls and bed are still in their places inside, and his doghouse, tie-down, bed, water tub and food bowl outside are still there...... We have to make a decision tomorrow (or later today I guess, since it's already 1:30 in the morning here) what to do with his body..........We'll most likely have him cremated...........I still have to tell my son about it......he was just 8 years old when we got Oreo. I am going to go see him in person tomorrow and break the news to him..........he's in jail until July 27th so I wasn't able to contact him about it yet..........he'll be devastated...........Anyway, I know some people on here will still remember me, and Oreo................I just wanted to "talk" about it to people who understand how hard something like this can be.................

Soapets
07-19-2011, 08:27 AM
We decided to have him cremated and to bring his ashes home. Our cats (Shadow, Little Orphan Annie, Dottie, Spook, Sammy and Kingston) are all sniffing around Oreo's bed and behaving like they're wondering where he's at. They have all grown up with him. I put his collar in his bed for them to sniff if they want to. I didn't sleep at all last night. I kept listening for Oreo's struggling breathing, but it was silent. I think I'm still in shock......

Catty1
07-19-2011, 09:23 AM
{{{hugs}}} Of course you are in shock. :love: You and your husband made the right decision, but it is heartbreaking all the same.

Play and run at the Bridge, Oreo, with your friends. You are healthy and whole, and breathing the sunshine-dappled air, waiting for your happy reunion, One Fine Day. :love::love:

Taz_Zoee
07-19-2011, 09:42 AM
This brings tears to my eyes. As I'm sure many of us have been in your shoes before, but it is still heart breaking.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

RIP Oreo

Karen
07-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Oh, sending you big, strong hugs. Picture him string again, happy and wagging, looking down on you from the Rainbow Bridge. He will always be part of you, and part of you son's life, and so his legacy of love will live on a long, long time.

Soapets
07-19-2011, 02:36 PM
I visited my son this morning and told him then news. My son tried to call me last night, but I missed his calls because my phone was on silent because I was babysitting in my Church Nursery during Bible School. It was strange that he tried to call me, almost like something must have told him that something was going on, because he hasn't called us from jail since the day he was booked in. He's written to us a couple of times. But when I visited him this morning and told him the news he was very saddened. He had known that it was coming at some point, but not expecting it this soon, just days before he is set to be released from jail. My son seems to be changing some, too. He said he's had a lot of time to think about things, about his choices that got him where he is, and he wants to do better when he gets out because he doesn't want to end up spending the majority of his adult life in jail or even prison. He just turned 22 in May so I hope he's finally maturing some and that he is sincere about wanting to change his ways and make better choices in life.....Time will tell.....But for now I got through the moment of telling him about Oreo......he will miss him greatly.....they were pals.......... Thank you for all of your kind words and "hugs", etc. It helps to know that others understand the difficulties of going through this....I took Oreo's leftover medications back to the Vet this morning, and three unopened cans of Hill's Science Diet HD prescription dog food, and an opened bag of dry HD prescription diet dog food, to tell them to donate the items to another dog who might need them. They gave me full credit back for the bag of dry dog food, which we had just picked up last week for Oreo, as well as credit for the canned food and the unused medication. I wasn't expecting that, but it was appreciated because it all adds up----the bag of dry food alone was $42.94. But everything is all settled up now and we begin our lives without our dear, dear Oreo physically present with us. HE will ALWAYS be in our hearts. We have so many humorous memories of him! It is just so strange not having to take him outside throughout the day, and hear him barking for his "treats" (Pill Pockets that we put his medicine in) whenever we opened the cabinet door where they were kept.......RIP dear sweet loveable Oreo!:love:

krazyaboutkatz
07-19-2011, 04:15 PM
I remember you and I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.:( You made the right decision and now Oreo is pain free and able to run and play again up at the Bridge. RIP sweet Oreo.:( Please take care. (((HUGS)))

chocolatepuppy
07-19-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss of Oreo. :(

Soapets
07-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Well, I called my former coworker whom I got Oreo from and shared the news with her. I hadn't talked to her for a LONG time. She was surprised that we even still had Oreo, as his two littermates have both been gone for several years. She said Oreo's mother, a chocolate lab named Ruby, had lived to age of 13 years, so Oreo had a longer earthly life than even she did. It is really, really strange at home not hearing him barking for treats, or seeing him jumping excitedly and wagging his tail whenever we come home or get up to let him outside, etc., etc., etc. My husband and I, and our six cats, sure do notice his absence........:(

chocolatepuppy
07-21-2011, 12:28 PM
It's so hard, facing them not being here, with us. Oreo will always be in your heart.:love: It takes a long time not to expect to see them everytime you turn around. {hugs}

pomtzu
07-21-2011, 02:35 PM
It's never an easy decision to let them go (I've been there), but please know that you did the right thing. Oreo will never really be gone from you, as he will live in your heart and mind forever. May you find peace knowing that he is no longer struggling to survive, and that he is able to run and play again. :love:

RIP Oreo. You will be missed.

Alysser
07-21-2011, 04:56 PM
I am so sorry. Rest in peace, Oreo. :love:

Soapets
07-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Thank you so much for your comments, everyone.....I can't seem to get "used to" not having Oreo here yet. I appreciate being able to "talk" about it on here....it helps me to process it. I appreciate Pet Talk....

Bonny
07-24-2011, 06:24 AM
Rest in Peace Oreo. (((Hugs))) to you Soapets Those wonderful memories are what will always remain of those happy times with Oreo.

robintwin
07-24-2011, 08:14 AM
My condolences to you for losing your dog, it is a hard thing to cope with. You will remember these years as the "Oreo era"....the time he spent with you as your beloved family dog....Take care, Robin

Malibu's Mom
07-24-2011, 04:02 PM
RIP sweet Oreo and hugs to you. I know this is one of the hardest decisions to make... I just had to make the same one earlier this year. The feeling you get in the very pit of your stomach is simply indescribable, but you made the right choice. :love::love::love:

carole
07-24-2011, 05:07 PM
I am so sad to hear of the passing of your beautiful furbaby Oreo, RIP sweet one, and hugs to you at this difficult and sad time.:love::love: