PDA

View Full Version : nationality?

toughCookie
11-06-2002, 05:13 PM
I know this is not pet related, but I thought it might be interesting for us to post our nationalities...?

I am Italian, with a pinch of Irish and a dash of English, another dash of Scottish!!

also, who can speak more than one language? (not me, I know a couple words in Italian thats all)
:)

neko1
11-06-2002, 05:25 PM
Mostly German with a pinch of Irish and Pennslyvania Dutch.

Kfamr
11-06-2002, 05:47 PM
I'm German, Cherokee , Irish, and Scottish.

--- I'm in Spanish one... Learning Spanish. :D Which is my favorite language. I've always been interested in it.

Karen
11-06-2002, 06:17 PM
Hoo boy, you asked! I'm an All-American mutt: the identified nationalities in me are:

Swedish
English
Norman French (my mother's mother was very specific about this)
French-Canadian
Scottish
Micmac (Native American - 3 or 4 generations ago)
Irish
German
Bavarian
Welsh

and, frankly, who knows what else? :)

As I said, I'm a mutt!

I can speak a smattering of French (school French, not Canuck French), and know a few words in Swedish, Polish, and two phrases in Mandarin!

Desert Arabian
11-06-2002, 06:25 PM
I am German, Irish, Swedish, and English. That's all I know of.

mugsy
11-06-2002, 06:45 PM
OK LabLover....that's exactly my mix....are you sure we're not related!! lol:eek: :p

My dad is 1/2 Irish and 1/2 Swedish...that's definite.

My mom at the surface is 1/2 German and 1/2 English, however, in doing genealogy, she may have some Irish in her too.

sasvermont
11-06-2002, 06:48 PM
English, French and German;) - more German than anything....

and I speak some French, Italian and German....but not fluently....

Crikit
11-06-2002, 06:56 PM
I'm Irish, Scottish, Welsh, English and Ukrainine. I took a little bit of french when I was in Jr High and elementary but I was really bad at it so I stopped taking it now I can only remember a little bit of it, but I also know a couple of words in Japanese.

Uabassoon
11-06-2002, 07:28 PM
I'm hispanic

toughCookie
11-06-2002, 07:31 PM
wow! popcornbird, you win for speaking the most languages! thats great:)

and I think Karen has the most nationalities of anyone!
I noticed theres several people with some Irish.

RockyRoad
11-06-2002, 07:34 PM
Ah, I know my heritages by rough percentages.

50% German
20% Italian
20% Irish
10% English

Though I wish I had a little French in me:)

RockyRoad
11-06-2002, 07:38 PM
I also speak French, well a little since I am taking it in school. I also learn a bit of Spanish from my friends. But all in all I prefer English:).

AmberLee
11-06-2002, 07:47 PM
Let's see, I'm rather a mutt, myself.

Irish, German, French, English, Norwegian (just found out about this branch a couple months ago!) and possibly Cherokee. One of more intriguing ancestors was my Great-great...grandmother who was French-German and born in Brazil. She emigrated here as a 10-year-old child just as the Civil War was breaking out! I'd love to know more about her and her life.

I'm fascinated by languages but not very good at them. I've studied Russian, Japanese, American Sign language and Spanish in school and know essentially nothing of any of the vocabularies any more... :rolleyes: I also studied French in school and thought I was pretty good. Once I took an adult refresher course for travellers. The teacher asked what our goals in the class were after we'd been chatting away in French for a while. The lady next to me said her goal was to sound as good as I did. The teacher threw herself across her desk crying. :o :( It was one of my more disillusioning moments. I'd thought I sounded pretty good up till then. :( :o

Felicia's Mom
11-06-2002, 08:40 PM
I am Scottish, Irish, English and German.

Vermontcat
11-06-2002, 08:42 PM
Ciao Toughcookie! I am totally Italian-American. Mamma mia!
I studied French for a couple of years in high school and college and know enough to get by, I also know some Italian and a little Spanish.

luckies4me
11-06-2002, 08:57 PM
I am Irish, German, Hungarian, Bolivian and Romanian.

I just call myself white, lol.

As for languages, I know the MauriMauri language (it's a little island off of Australia) Japanese, Spanish and that's it! I want to learn German though. We are going to put my son in Japanese immersion school. :)

My step father is Japanese.

kohala
11-06-2002, 09:03 PM
OK, half Norweigan, one quarter English, one eighth German, and the other eighth is probably a mix of French and Indian, but we aren't sure about Grandma's Ma!
And a Hawaiian name - sooooooooo OOF DA! and ALOHA!!!, y'all!!!

COCatMama
11-06-2002, 09:13 PM
English German Scots Irish Swedish? Swiss? Dutch Canadian AND American
:D

I can curse in English, French, Spanish, Cantonese and i know one or two Punjabi insults
call it a 'hobby' hee hee

wolf_Q
11-06-2002, 09:13 PM
My last name is swedish I believe. I think mine are England, Scotland/Wales, Sweden, and I don't know what else. Of course this is very distant....

sammi
11-06-2002, 09:41 PM
All Norweigan.

The Cat Factory
11-06-2002, 09:45 PM
Hmm...I have a little bit of Swedish, Norweigen, Scottish, Danish and a few others I can't recall right now :D I can sing a song is Swedish;)

sammi
11-06-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by FloppsyLadySally89
Ah, I know my heritages by rough percentages.

Though I wish I had a little French in me:)

WHY??? So you can talk with your hands? LOL My husband is part french and when he talks his hands and arms are on the go!! I think that lbaker is some french she talks with her hands too! I got the picture to prove it!:D

COCatMama
11-06-2002, 10:25 PM
I definitely got the Scots temper *coff*
well i dunno how to spell it but i can say Koothie and Kootha
which means b!@@ and ba#@$#
i can pronounced them correctly, I work with East Indians :)
i also know the words to food like Alu Tiki and Samosa
and I know to say popcornbird-gee
hehehe

All Creatures Great And Small
11-06-2002, 10:29 PM
That's because America is the great "melting pot" - we take people from all the other continents and throw them together over here and that's why we have so many "mutts" - it's kind of cool, actually! Everybody in the U.S. is a "something-American", since the only people native to this country are American Indians.
I guess I'd have to call myself a "European-American". :p I am German, Irish, Swedish, and English - mostly German though. I don't really speak any languages other than American English, although I know a lot of British words:p and one or two Spanish ones from my junior-high Spanish class several centuries ago.

I think it would be neat to have a one-country background - it would make researching your family tree a lot easier

Karen
11-06-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by All Creatures Great And Small

I think it would be neat to have a one-country background - it would make researching your family tree a lot easier

I think that depends on what country it is. Swedish geneology is nearly impossible to trace if you don't know it already, so on that side, we don't know anything but the town they lived in prior to coming to America. In the old Swedish naming system, your LAST name is your father's FIRST name with s"son" or "daughter (dotter)" tacked on. So while my grandfather's last name was Peterson, my Dad's last name should have been Axelson, as grandpa was Axel Peterson. MY maiden name therefore would have been Donaldsdotter, and my brothers would have been Donaldsons! But we're in America now, so we've all been Petersons! There - if you think THAT's confusing, try following it backwards!

Chinadoll
11-06-2002, 11:44 PM
I'm half Italian and half Filipino....and half of that Italian is...*whispers* Sicilian!

11-07-2002, 03:13 AM
I think I am one of the rare non-mixed ...LOL

I was born in Belgium , in the region of Flanders . So is all of my family !! I am 100% Flemish !!

About languages : Dutch , French , English , German , and a few Dutch dialects .:D

Miss Meow
11-07-2002, 04:36 AM
Half Australian, with some of that half descending from Scotland and who knows where else (the skeletons in the family closet aren't all out yet!). The other half is Dutch for at least the last four generations. I speak English, a bit of French, and am picking up a few Catalan phrases thanks to this board! Dad gave up Dutch when he came here as a schoolboy, so I never learnt the language but when my relatives are trying to have secret squirrel conversations in Dutch, I pick up enough to work it out :D

Cookiebaker
11-07-2002, 05:34 AM
I'm also an all-around-American mutt...Mostly irish & french, with a smattering of American Indian, German, English. I think that's all.

jenluckenbach
11-07-2002, 06:00 AM
50% Italian (my Dad Is 100%)
and then
Russian, Pennsylvania Dutch, with a little Irish thrown in for good measure. (my Mom's "mixture)
Besides English (or I should say "American") the only other language I understand is CAT

Pam
11-07-2002, 06:02 AM
My dad was a "pedigree" Irishman, having been the only child in his family born in the USA. My mom is a mutt, having some Scotch, Irish and English blood, so I am a mutt too. :) I had two years of Spanish in school but sadly don't remember much, although I loved learning another language. I'd love to go back and maybe try to pick up where I left off, but I'm afraid at my age the brain cells would complain about the memorization. :rolleyes:

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-07-2002, 06:47 AM
Well, my dad is 100% Lebanese and Mom is part French (her mother is 100% French) and part English (from her dad's side).

So I guess I am part Lebanese, part American mutt, part French, and part English. I am fluent in English, Arabic (various dialects), French and have basic knowledge of Spanish.

lynnestankard
11-07-2002, 07:24 AM
Boring me - English with French - thats it!! :D

Lynne

anna_66
11-07-2002, 07:27 AM
Cherokee & Irish

Edwina's Secretary
11-07-2002, 09:30 AM
My father's parents were from Slovenia. My mother's ancestors have been, we believe, in this country since before the Revolutionary War. She was going to do the research for DAR but then the Marion Anderson scandal.......

There was once a Cat of the Day from Slovenia!

Cincy'sMom
11-07-2002, 10:00 AM
Pretty much All German. I think there was some Irish and English on my mom's side.

Ralph is mostly German and Hungarian, although the disease his dad has 9problem with his hands) comes from the Huns, so the new family joke if about great-grandpa Attila :)

Edwina's Secretary
11-07-2002, 11:17 AM
Gosh! There have been 2 Slovenian cats of the day! (There are more people in the city of Chicago than the country of Slovenia!)

Slovenia Cat #1 (http://catoftheday.com/archive/1998/October/02.html)

Slovenian Cat #2 (http://catoftheday.com/archive/2000/August/07.html)

zookeeper
11-07-2002, 11:55 AM
I usually say I am a Canadian Heinz 57:) On my dads side I have Scottish and Finnish. Than on my moms side I have French, Scottish, Mexican, Cree, and God only knows what else. I tend to relate more to my Scottish ancestors than anything else. I speak a little French (although it is a local dialect French, not proper French:)

Andie
11-07-2002, 01:04 PM
I'm a little bit of everything.

Here's the few I can remember off the top of my head.
English
French Canadian
Native American (can't remember what tribe)
German

There is more I just can't remember.

Someone told me once that my ancestors were horny and not that picky. LOL who knows that could be right.

wolflady
11-07-2002, 01:12 PM
Isn't family heritage an interesting thing?? I would really like to delve into my heritage and learn more about my background. I'm definitely your typical Heinz 57 too.
My dad's side of the family is Luxembourg and German
My mom's side of the family is Irish, German, Dutch, Italian with a dash of French thrown in. My Irish ancesters come from County Gallway in Ireland. I sure would love to see it someday! Mom always used to say to me that our great great grandparents dropped the O from O' Shaughnessey into the ocean when they came to the Americas! LOL :D

I find languages fascinating and am totally in admiration of people who can speak more than one language fluently. That is so cool! I've always wondered if a person speaks multiple languages fluently, which language do they dream in, think in...etc! :eek: LOL

I, of course, speak English and I have a pretty good understanding of Spanish. I took Spanish as a minor and recently took a refresher conversational Spanish course since I've been away from it awhile. Since we deal with a lot of Spanish speakers where I live and work, I would really love to improve my Spanish. I helped out in the Spanish translation of our e-commerce system since we have clients in Mexico.
I'm in the process of learning Hindi and Telugu from my Indian friends. I would love to be able to hold a simple conversation in one of these languages eventually. It's great! :D

Vermontcat
11-07-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Chinadoll
I'm half Italian and half Filipino....and half of that Italian is...*whispers* Sicilian!

*whispering too* Hey Chinadoll, I am 1/4 Sicilian too. My grandfather was born there. Itsa nice-ah place!;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-07-2002, 04:48 PM
German, Norwegian, Bohemian & Polish.

My grandparents on my dad's side had Norwegian bibles and spoke a little Norwegian. My grandparents on my mother's side spoke a little Polish. I might be able to say some of it, but I wouldn't know how to begin spelling it. ;)

Oh, and I am in the process of learning how to speak German. It's going ok, not exceptionally well, but I've got some of the basics down. :)

Cataholic
11-07-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach

Besides English (or I should say "American") the only other language I understand is CAT

Boo hoo hoo...you stole my line! I have a teeny understanding of German and Spanish, and am fluent in PET TALK!

Other than that, I am: English, German, Scottish/welsh, and I think, some Irish.

NoahsMommy
11-07-2002, 05:11 PM
Woohoo! I'm half pedagree! My mom is 100% English, but born in America. My dad was born in Kansas and his family is from there and Arkansas....so WHO knows what the other half of me is. :)

I took three years of French in high school, about 6 six years ago.

mugsy
11-07-2002, 05:19 PM
Hey wolflady....if you ever get back to Indiana and want to start genealogy, I'd be glad to help you. You know Fort Wayne has the 2nd best genealogy department in the country.

11-07-2002, 05:29 PM
Someone told me once that my ancestors were horny and not that picky.
HA HA HA HA HA :D :p :D

11-07-2002, 05:38 PM
My dad is 1/2 Irish and 1/2 Swedish...that's definite.

My mom at the surface is 1/2 German and 1/2 English

Wow, Mugsy, that's exactly MY special blend! How weird! :eek:

ChrisH
11-07-2002, 05:59 PM
I know nothing about my father and not a lot about my mothers side. What I do know is my Grandfather was born in England, my Grandmother was born in Wales. My Mother was born in India, (while my Grandfather was in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and was stationed there, my Grandmother is also buried there) and I was born in Wales.
I do know that some of my Granfathers family emigrated to Canado a long while ago, so, if there is anyone named Markey out there in PetTalk land, we could be related! LOL :)

I only speak English, though I do know a couple of words in Welsh. I was taught it in school but forgot most of it, should have followed it up really.

wolflady
11-07-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
Hey wolflady....if you ever get back to Indiana and want to start genealogy, I'd be glad to help you. You know Fort Wayne has the 2nd best genealogy department in the country.

OMG! That would be awsome. I will be in Indiana from Dec. 18 to Jan. 1st....:D ;) :)

Originally posted by jenluckenbach

How could I have forgotten?! :eek: This is another language I'm fluent in! LOL :rolleyes: :o

Kfamr
11-07-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by anna_66
Cherokee & Irish

Hehehe.. that's why we're both really cool... Must be in the Cherokee. LOL

delidog
11-07-2002, 08:47 PM
I was born in Norfolk,Kingslynn,England...grew up in England...my mom,grandmother etc. all from England...London and Birmingham,my Grandparents...Isle of Wight...My Dad was from Wales..(How Old were you Chris H??? LOL!!).not sure what town...he moved to Isle of Wight with his dad when in High School
his mother was from Scotland....
I guess that this makes me a British Isle Brat!!!;) :)

toughCookie
11-08-2002, 01:12 AM
I know some CAT language, but Im still working on it!!LOL

popcornbird
11-08-2002, 01:14 AM
Oh, I totally forgot! I am fluent in BIRD (um.........actually, COCKATIEL {I can't understand other birds}} as well! LOL!

-Panther-
11-08-2002, 11:48 AM
50% Finnish 50% Swedish

My dad is Swedish (lives in Sweden too),
and my mom is Finnish.

But I definitely consider myself 100% Finnish http://users.skynet.be/gedi/emoticons4u/country/Finland.gif

And I can speak Finnish (of course), Swedish, English and a little bit of German :)

Former User
11-08-2002, 12:10 PM
100% Finnish :)
My husband is half belgian half british

ownerof3dogs
11-09-2002, 11:56 PM
My mom is French Canadian and my father is Italian/Hungarian.(I'm a hungry Italian-Get it LOL)

I also have polish in me and god nows what else. But usually I just tell people I'm Italian :)

COCatMama
11-10-2002, 12:02 AM
My great great great ? grandmother was named Lady Grey (or Gray) and she lost her title for marrying a commoner in england! so she moved to Canada.
wish i could go back in time and smack her!! I could have been rich!

wolf_Q
11-10-2002, 01:10 AM
I took german for 2 years in high school and all I can remember is Guten Tag I swear, lol. ;) My brother went to Switzerland, and can speak fluent german....I can pick out things he says occasionally, but not much..

COCatMama
11-10-2002, 01:13 AM
I can say Gesundheit because it has no religious connotation unlike 'bless you'

Aspen and Misty
11-10-2002, 01:19 AM
All I know is I have a little bit of Swedish in me. My great great great great great great great great (or something like that) grandfather used to be King so we have *incest in us, I think he married his Sister or Aunt :rolleyes:

I speak Spanish and sign language, I don't know if that counts. I'm real good at sign language, but spanish, not my thing :p

Ash

kohala
11-10-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
My great great great great great great great great (or something like that) grandfather used to be King so we have insist in us, I think he married his Sister or Aunt :rolleyes:

Ash

LOL!!!!!!! Many royals are rather insistant, aren't they?!?!

COCatMama
11-10-2002, 02:47 AM
um er i think he/she meant INCEST
ACK! and back in those days lotta royalty didn't look outside of family reunions for dates

popcornbird
11-10-2002, 03:33 AM
My great great great great great great great great (or something like that) grandfather used to be King so we have insist in us, I think he married his Sister or Aunt :rolleyes:

Sister or Aunt?? :eek: OMG!!! :eek: That is WAAAAAAAAAAAy to close of a family member to marry. Ewww. :o

Barbara
11-10-2002, 09:58 AM
I am 90% German (but all west of the Rhine) and 10% French (boring if I listen to you all). Languages: German French English Italian Latin and little Spanish.
Purrfect cat translator for F&T

Aspen and Misty
11-10-2002, 10:40 AM
Kohala. Yea. I can't speel (lol). I mean Incest, if thats reall how you spell it. I dunno.

Originally posted by popcornbird

Sister or Aunt?? :eek: OMG!!! :eek: That is WAAAAAAAAAAAy to close of a family member to marry. Ewww. :o

Yup, I could never marry my brother, no matter how much you payed me. Ewww. Everytime I think about it I cringe. The worst thing is He past down Diseases and stuff.

Ash

kohala
11-10-2002, 12:02 PM
Kohala. Yea. I can't speel (lol). I mean Incest, if thats reall how you spell it. I dunno.
Ash

I thought "insist" was kind of cool, Ash! Think about "Royals" and you'll see why I liked the "pun"!!

Aspen and Misty
11-10-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by kohala

I thought "insist" was kind of cool, Ash! Think about "Royals" and you'll see why I liked the "pun"!!

LOL. I understand it now! LOL. That is kinda funny!!! LOL..

Twisterdog
11-10-2002, 04:06 PM
I am 1/4 English, 1/4 Scottish, 1/4 German and 1/4 Cherokee.

I speak French, and a little Spanish.

kohala
11-10-2002, 04:52 PM
I forgot to post my languages - English and Spanish. Those who are European might find my grammar and accent pretty sad, but I can communicate!!!