PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this is cruel?

Old Geezer
07-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Here is what I think. I may be wrong. Hope not.

This is the same thing as scruffing a cat, and this is a unique cat that actually responds the way we want it to do- THIS DOES NOT WORK ON MOST CATS. Some cats would flip out and try to kill everything. And it's not really cruel unless you do it when it's not necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9TmmF79Rw0&feature=player_embedded

pomtzu
07-17-2011, 12:54 PM
It's not cruel at all - IMO of course. There have been people here that have used this when clipping nails - and you know how cats just love that!!! :rolleyes: If it settles them down for a short period and for a specific purpose, then I don't see a problem with it. To do it for entertainment - then that's another story......:mad:

Alysser
07-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Not really, I think it's the same concept as scruffing a cat, which I don't think is cruel. It better then the cat flipping out and scratching someone or hurting itself and it can be useful in an emergency.

mrspunkysmom
07-17-2011, 02:14 PM
I worry about bruising the skin. Those clips exert a powerful force. And scruffing doesn't work on all cats.

I do understand that a feral cat might need other types of restraints. It's okay for mother cats to pick the kitty up by the scruff, but she can't exactly hold the kitten in her front paws.

We can do better.

Mine don't need it since they imitate an armadillo when afraid.

I would rather hold my cat for you while you trim his nails than let you put a clip on his neck.

moosmom
07-17-2011, 02:19 PM
I know scruffing AustinB doesn't work. He's a wiggle worm. The clips wouldn't have gotten a patent had it been cruel. A lot of veterinarians I know recommend the clips. It calms the cat down, just like they calm down when mama cat carries them that way.

Taz_Zoee
07-17-2011, 02:38 PM
That was a regular binder clip. :confused: I would think that would be too strong to use. However, maybe I should try it on mine. Bruce always has to help me when I clip their nails and he is horrible at scruffing them. I have those large clips at work. Maybe I could find one that isn't quite so strong.

This video was done at a vets office, and they didn't leave it on the kitty too long. So I don't think it was cruel.

Karen
07-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Cindy, you can take a regular big binder clip and a pair of pliers and bend the sides a bit so it's not as strong. I'm guessing that's what has been done with the one in the video, as the kitty doesn't look like it is in pain. Grab a couple, as you might have to experiment a bit, but they are metal, so can be bent!

pomtzu
07-17-2011, 02:57 PM
That was a regular binder clip. :confused: I would think that would be too strong to use. However, maybe I should try it on mine. Bruce always has to help me when I clip their nails and he is horrible at scruffing them. I have those large clips at work. Maybe I could find one that isn't quite so strong.

This video was done at a vets office, and they didn't leave it on the kitty too long. So I don't think it was cruel.

Hey Cindy - how about a plain old bag clip like you would use for chips, etc. Some aren't very strong, but you could probably find a happy medium between those and the office type clips which might be too strong.

Freckles
07-17-2011, 03:21 PM
This was discussed last year http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=162357&highlight=binder+clip

Taz_Zoee
07-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Karen, bending one is a great idea!

Ellie, I don't think the chip bag holder would be strong enough. Maybe I'm wrong. But the binder clip would be free. :p

I know we had discussed this before on here, but I dont' remember every discussing the binder clip. Or maybe we did but I was too scared to try it. But now seeing it done in the video, it is possible. :)

krazyaboutkatz
07-17-2011, 04:03 PM
I don't think it's cruel at all. When I adopted Alani & Blaze the rescue lady sent me home with a plastic scissor looking device that is used to scruff a cats neck. I still use it on both Alani & Blaze so I can trim their nails. I have found that it worked better when they were kittens. It doesn't work on Ziggy or Sky any more either.:( Maybe I should try this type of binder too.

Freedom
07-17-2011, 06:41 PM
I don't like the idea that it is on youtube for all to see.

"And it's not really cruel unless you do it when it's not necessary."

A lot of nuts who never thought of it . . . well, you know where I'm going.

blue
07-17-2011, 11:42 PM

I agree with this. I know people that would use this for every behavior problem with their cats. Much the same way people use that Caesar AHs techniques on their dogs just from watching his TV show.

kittycats_delight
07-18-2011, 05:46 AM

"And it's not really cruel unless you do it when it's not necessary."

A lot of nuts who never thought of it . . . well, you know where I'm going.

I think it was an extremely stupid move to put it on youtube. There are just too many people out there that get their kicks out of hurting animals and this gives them the ability to do so without getting scratched themselves. It could mean a terrible experience for a cat that may very well have been able to get away without the clip.

I also don't think it is cruel IF used for the right reasons but ONLY if necessary.

Taz_Zoee
07-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Maybe we should all report the video and they will take it down??

GSDOG
07-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Hey Cyn I have used something similar at work, it looks like a forcep and I was amazed at how it worked. Better than getting the crap scratched out of you or having a cat hanging from the ceiling screaming at you..:)