PDA

View Full Version : kittens names..

Husky_mom
07-13-2011, 02:22 PM
I have been playing in my mind with a few combos for the kittens names.. and the list went overboard.. lol.. now I have tons of cute names and canpt make my mind.. lol

I simplified a bunch of them into themes.. and have quite some more from random stuff.. but I thought to stick to a theme..

the letters theme.. goes from A-E .. so actually 10 themes.. lol

will see how the poll goes.. and then post the names for the "winner" theme.. as there are 50 names.. lol..

happylabs
07-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Oh boy, I'm the first one. :D

I always waited to see their personality to give them a name, or something about their color, size, etc.

For instance, my little Tuxedo Tinker got her name, Tinker Belle, because she was always flying around the house in a delicate way and just making me laugh.

Buddy got his name because my daughter and I just kept calling him that for some reason, both of us. It was funny. He was like her little buddy, sleeping with her and hanging with her when we first found him.

My first cat, Kit-Kat was the sweetest thing ever and I tried to find a name that was something sweet, hence the Kit-Kat candy bar.

Hope this helps!

Any names you choose will be perfect though. :)

astrid
07-13-2011, 02:57 PM
How about names from the 7 dwarfs of snow white?

mrspunkysmom
07-13-2011, 03:00 PM
My suggestion is any or none or some other theme. They all sound good to me. I like the idea of a theme.

How about some cartoon characters they resemble. Or the characters in a favorite book?

Mr. Spunky got his name because I was calling him Punk. He was WILD when young, but Punk sounded so negative.

Sam was originally called Red because I was going through my "who am I to name a cat?" phase. His full name is Samwise Rory Beauregard Gamgee the Red because I couldn't decide what name to finally give him months later.

Jane is Lady Jane Grey, because she looks re-markedly like a Russian Blue and it was the first name to come to mind., She answers to Little Girl also.

Emily was originally "Fat Lady" (the previous owner) and for some reason Emily kept coming to mind.

Bob was originally Little Man (again previous owner) and I named him Bob because he has a knobby tail and he appears to be a real Bob-tail.

Husky_mom
07-13-2011, 03:10 PM
well.. if it were just one.. Iīd wait to see personality first.. hehe.. but since thereīs 5.. I wanted a theme.. besides when they are adopted the owners might change the names.. lol..

I did had quite some time narrowing the names down to 5 in each theme.. lol.. there were like at least 20 names in each "category".. and I think the ones "chosen".. would fit.. now just need to narrow down to one theme.. lol..

but I bet itīs hard since the themes can be soooo wide open.. so here are the names..
first 3 are for boys.. black, frosted and white.. then girls.. white and tabby (in that order)

A: Absolut Aldebaran Axl Arwen Amber
B: Blake Barbosa Bono Babushka Bailey
C: Caspian Cabo Cedric Catzilla Caramelo
D: Diesel Darth Denali Diva Dakota
E: Eiko Echo Edge Eowin Esmeralda

numbers: Tetris (4) Unho (1) Deux (2) Itsutsu (5) Kinsa (3)

colors: Blake Shyam Shiro Shinju Amber

musical: Banjo Echo Solo Calypso Melody

French: Pierre Laurent Marc Dior Bijou

Italian: Rocco Enzo Lucca Dolce Gigi

well... now what do you think? ;)

Lizzie
07-13-2011, 03:37 PM
How about the planets, although you may want to skip Uranus.

I used one letter to name 9 kittens once and it worked well for most - Fiasco, Falstaff, Feronia, Fiorella, but a few got names that I wasn't that happy about. I knew their adopters would change their names so it didn't really matter. The shelter had asked a volunteer to name them when they first came in and she gave them all primate names - spider monkey, orangutan, gorilla etc. That definitely didn't work!

Since I was an English Lit and Comp. Religion major I tend to name mine after characters in literature, either prose or poetry, or after gods of various religions both past and present. The shelter where I volunteer hates some of the names I've chosen, like Lochinvar and Catullus because they are "too fancy". However, I hate lots of their names like Samantha Babe (which I switched to Sam) and Bogie for a delicate female cat (I call her Bee). I don't change their names too much so I remember to use their shelter names when necessary.

I have two new cats who are not fosters and have called the big, frightened black tom "Nevermore" because his life of bare survival on the streets is never more, and the disabled cat is "Zazesh" because it means "good at adapting to anything" in Persian.

Enjoy the naming!

kittycats_delight
07-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Isabel just to let you know about the Italian names.

Dolce is masculine. Lucca is actually spelled Luca.

I like Lizzie's idea of planet names.

I also like the idea of Greek or Norse gods & goddesses.

Out of your suggestions I rather like the musical ones with the exception of solo...I think I would use Allegro instead.

Grace
07-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Out of your suggestions I rather like the musical ones with the exception of solo...I think I would use Allegro instead.

What she said :love:

kuhio98
07-13-2011, 04:58 PM
One Pet Talker (I'm sorry I forget who) names her kitties after U.S. States.

How about naming yours after Mexican States? Sonora, Durango, Baja, Yucatan, Tabasco......... etc.

Husky_mom
07-13-2011, 05:00 PM
hehehe.. skipping that planet for sure.. lol

the Dolce.. translated is dulce= sweet.. or after the Dolce & Gabanna.. hehe.. I donīt really payed much attention if itīs was masculine as I have a tendency to like male names on girls hehehe.. and Lucca (or Luka).. itīs just a variation in writting.. ;) as well as Unho.. which is Uno= One

I also have Greek Mythology, Fairy, Russian, Japanese, Native American, LOTR, Disney, Cars, Hindu, Astronomy, Cartoon, Fabrics, Drinks, and like 5-10 more.. lol..and it kept growing... lol.. Iīll keep these last ones for individuals that are mine hehehe..

the bad part of Allegro (which I had considered) is that in spanish it doesnīt sounds like boyish.. I was thinking Solo.. because heīs the only white boy.. and how you have guitar solos and such.. lol.. could also be Remi.. as in do RE MI fa so la si do

kittycats_delight
07-14-2011, 05:19 AM
the bad part of Allegro (which I had considered) is that in spanish it doesnīt sounds like boyish.. I was thinking Solo.. because heīs the only white boy.. and how you have guitar solos and such.. lol.. could also be Remi.. as in do RE MI fa so la si do

I like Remi. It is cute and I like the idea that it originated from the musical scale.

What names from Greek mythology did you have in mind? I love the norse, italian, egyptian, greek mythology names.

happylabs
07-14-2011, 07:29 AM
well.. if it were just one.. Iīd wait to see personality first.. hehe.. but since thereīs 5.. I wanted a theme.. besides when they are adopted the owners might change the names.. lol..

I did had quite some time narrowing the names down to 5 in each theme.. lol.. there were like at least 20 names in each "category".. and I think the ones "chosen".. would fit.. now just need to narrow down to one theme.. lol..

but I bet itīs hard since the themes can be soooo wide open.. so here are the names..
first 3 are for boys.. black, frosted and white.. then girls.. white and tabby (in that order)

A: Absolut Aldebaran Axl Arwen Amber
B: Blake Barbosa Bono Babushka Bailey
C: Caspian Cabo Cedric Catzilla Caramelo
D: Diesel Darth Denali Diva Dakota
E: Eiko Echo Edge Eowin Esmeralda

numbers: Tetris (4) Unho (1) Deux (2) Itsutsu (5) Kinsa (3)

colors: Blake Shyam Shiro Shinju Amber

musical: Banjo Echo Solo Calypso Melody

French: Pierre Laurent Marc Dior Bijou

Italian: Rocco Enzo Lucca Dolce Gigi

well... now what do you think? ;)\

Okay, now I get it! I was thinking this after I made my post that these were just temporary names. :D

Now I love the idea of the numbers and the colors and the musical. And I also like the planets idea. Wow...so many to choose from.

LOL...I like the Italian names Rocco, Enzo and Gigi.

How about gangsters? That would be funny! Mugys, Baby Face, Pretty Boy, Lucky, Bugsy...

Maybe you could post a pic of each one and we could help name them taht way?

dehlers43
07-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Zodiac signs would be cool too:
Libra, Leo, Aries, Virgo......
And maybe the would be cooler in Spanish!

katladyd
07-14-2011, 01:22 PM
How about naming two of them after your kids, one for your late husband, and two for your wonderful parents? It's just an idea.

Don Juan's mom
07-14-2011, 07:01 PM
The closest I've gotten to a "theme" was getting Don Juan (who was so named by the Humane Society) and then renaming the blackie I got to keep him company "Zerlina" (a character in Mozart's opera Don Giovanni). The rescue group called her Zana, so it wasn't that big a change. At the time I was thinking of getting a little boy kitten and calling him "Leporello," but that hasn't happened.... yet.

happylabs
07-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Zodiac signs would be cool too:
Libra, Leo, Aries, Virgo......
And maybe the would be cooler in Spanish!

I like this idea too!

krazyaboutkatz
07-15-2011, 12:45 AM
I like the idea of naming them after a theme but I can't decide on which one.:) For a while I had what you'd call a weather theme because I had Storm who was already named this when I adopted him and then even before I adopted an orange male I wanted to name him Sunny. I had Storm, Sunny, Cirrus, and Sky. Maybe you could go with a nature theme too. Alani & Blaze's litter were all named after deserts and Cirrus's litter were all named after rocks. He used to be called Flint. Good luck.:)

Husky_mom
07-18-2011, 10:52 PM
lol.. sorry I hadnīt commented back.. itīs just sooo many themes and sooo many names.. I canīt make my mind..

your suggestions are good too.. now the decision is harder.. lol..

will meditate a bit longer on the names..

update: they are so cute.. well thatīs not an update.. hehe.. but still.. and now they venture out of the nestbox.. haha.. whelping box.. sorry.. I īm handling them all but the lil white boy seems to enjoy it the most.. btw.. white ones are getting points...the girl has a few white toes too...

not sure if anyone remembers back when some kitties adopted me a few years back.. well there was also a siamese mix.. and Iīm starting to wonder if he is the dad.. (canīt be Sheik as heīs fixed).. but I wonder cause Iīve been reading and for a kitty to get points or be siamese you need two siam genes..

happylabs
07-19-2011, 07:17 AM
lol.. sorry I hadnīt commented back.. itīs just sooo many themes and sooo many names.. I canīt make my mind..

your suggestions are good too.. now the decision is harder.. lol..

will meditate a bit longer on the names..

update: they are so cute.. well thatīs not an update.. hehe.. but still.. and now they venture out of the nestbox.. haha.. whelping box.. sorry.. I īm handling them all but the lil white boy seems to enjoy it the most.. btw.. white ones are getting points...the girl has a few white toes too...

not sure if anyone remembers back when some kitties adopted me a few years back.. well there was also a siamese mix.. and Iīm starting to wonder if he is the dad.. (canīt be Sheik as heīs fixed).. but I wonder cause Iīve been reading and for a kitty to get points or be siamese you need two siam genes..

Awwwwie Awwww Awww Awwww! More pictures? Please? :D