PDA

View Full Version : Hot hot hot!

catnapper
07-12-2011, 09:33 AM
We're in the middle of yet another heat wave. I wore a short sleeve twin set sweater to work yesterday because they set the AC so low. Well, the AC unit BROKE yesterday! We had the techs out and they couldn't do anything because the unit was completely frozen over. They said to turn the units off, let them defrost and then they could do something. I was absolutely dying. I was stripping layers off, to my cowrkers singing the stripping song :D :p

Then, I was laying in bed last night sweating and miserable. My window ac unit was set to its lowest setting (60 degrees) and yet the room was sweltering. The thermometer on the clock said the room was actually 85 degrees! the window unit froze over like the ones at work! :eek: :eek: :eek:

We took the one from the livingroom and now I have a gazillion BTUs for a bedroom. Its c-c-c-c-old in this room, and I couldn't be happier :)

Taz_Zoee
07-12-2011, 09:47 AM
The weather has been so crazy all around the world!!
We had 100 degree weather here last week and this week it's ugly, cold and cloudy (but I like it:D). What happened to our "sunny California" weather?? I don't mind the sun, its the high temps I don't like.

lvpets2002
07-12-2011, 10:06 AM
:) Yup Very Hot Here In Texas.. From Last Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun we have hit 109-110 Degrees Each Day.. Today we are chilling out to 105 Degrees.. :cool: Forcast is these temps for each day for the next weeks to come &&&& NO Rain In The Forcast.. We are so so Dry & still having Fires All Over..

pomtzu
07-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Headed to around 100 again today, and humidity thick enough to cut with a knife! :eek: I would melt into a little grease spot without my central air. I don't know how people live without at least a bedroom a.c. so that they can get some relief when it's as miserably hot as it is now. :confused: Last summer here was even worse than this tho, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. :p

Randi
07-12-2011, 11:14 AM
In Denmark, we've been lucky so far. It's not been up to 30C yet, but it has been rather humid at times. I'm OK as long the humidity stays under 60%, though. I wonder why some places are so humid and others dry. In Spain, I can stand a lot more heat, because the air there is dry.

The last couple of years, I have at times had 27C in my bedroom at night, that is unbearable! Even my summer duvet has been too warm.

AC is not common here, very few have it, but fans are used. Only, I get a cold every time I sit in front of a fan.

Hope you all get some relief soon! :)

happylabs
07-12-2011, 11:43 AM
I didn't realize they could freeze over.

It has been in the 90's here the last couple days. The news people are sending out "heat advisories".

I am glad to come to work where it is cool.

On a side note, my kitties apparently do not like the AC because they go to the warmest room in the house when I have it cranked up. Maybe I should get them sweaters. :p

Lizzie
07-12-2011, 11:44 AM
I heard on the weather report yesterday, as I drove into my work parking lot at 7am, that people were flocking to Seattle to cool down! They said it was already 87F in Phoenix. I was perfectly happy to step out into our cool upper fifties morning air, the sky pale blue and cloudy, humidity low, and walk briskly to work. I couldn't stand living anywhere else. It does get tedious sometimes to have so very few sunny days, but I'd rather that than live with both heat and humidity.

We are so cool here that one of the mountain passes isn't going to open this summer because they still have 50 feet of snow which the cool weather this spring didn't melt off sufficiently for crews to work on clearing the rest.

I hear Texas hasn't had any rain for 9 months, is that right?

CountryWolf07
07-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Gonna be 90 something today. It was 95 yesterday. It's Cleveland! Oh it's SO humid here, that it's miserable to take. I've been inside a lot lately, wishing I could be outside and enjoy the summer weather, but.. too humid. It wouldn't matter if I had a pool, though. :)

Pembroke_Corgi
07-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Our average high this time of year is around 90 or warmer, but it's been cooler the last week. We hit 99 on the 4th, then we've had a pattern of cooler weather, with monsoon rains in the afternoon. We've had way more rain than normal this year! It's kind of nice.

Although 90s here is not unbearably hot since we have very low humidity most of the time. Plus it gets cool at night (like upper 50s low 60s). We don't have A/C and it's fine...I can't stand humidity, though! There is no way I could stand 90+ temps without a/c in a place that has high humidity. When I visit the midwest in the summer I feel like I am drowning...

pomtzu
07-12-2011, 12:46 PM
One of the perks of living on the Atlantic coast, is the humidity (:rolleyes:) - and the further south you go - the worse it is. I grew up in New England on the coast, and the humidity wasn't nearly as bad as it is here in the mid-Atlantic region, and south of here is even worse. Most people that don't live near the coast are under the impression that it is cooler and more comfortable, since we get the cooler ocean breeze. Sometimes yes - but most of the time - no. We get the heat and humidity pumped up to us from the south by way of the jet stream. It's just soupy, sticky, hot!!!! :mad:

Queen of Poop
07-12-2011, 01:26 PM
You guys are so lucky to have all that heat! We had a few nice days and that was fabulous. Now it's cloudy, going to rain again (like we need more). In fact there are heavy rainfall warnings all thru Southern Alberta for today. Feel free to send the heat you don't want this way!!! Be nice to have some warmth for a while before the snow comes back!

momoffuzzyfaces
07-12-2011, 01:57 PM
We in SE kansas are in the stew pot with you!!! Our temps are over 100. We are to have a cool down tomorrow. The high will be 93, then back to the 100s next day.

Our rural small towns are having water shortages and have to ration now. We had floods just a few weeks ago.:love:

krazyaboutkatz
07-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Since I've lived in CA for over 20 some years now, I don't think that I could ever live in a place where they have a lot of humidity. I can't even stand it here when it's in the upper 80's or 90's. I have no A/C at home so I have to rely on fans. The A/C at work usually doesn't work well and I sit between 2 hot ovens. I work in a dental lab and we use the ovens to bake the opaque and porcelain on the crowns. At least it usually cools down at night so I can open up my windows to cool my place down. I've really enjoyed the past few days because it's been in the 70's during the day. I love this kind of weather.:) The weather sure seems way out of wack lately. Will it ever be more normal again?

Freedom
07-12-2011, 05:58 PM
I've been monitoring the heat today, as Willy and I were due at Agility class. And while we are not nearly as hot as many of you who have posted, we reached 93 today, humidity of 62%. Icky to say the least. Average for today is 83. RI has terrible issues w/ ozone and pollution, and today was an air quality alert day - no one should be out exercising in that stuff.

We didn't go to class. Thus far we've missed 3 of this 6 session set. Two for heat, one I was sick. I may skip signing up for the next session or 2!

I also have to remember Willy's age (turns 8 on Sept 2), vs. the rest of class, age 2.5 or younger.

LOVE our central air, the crew of 15 are quite spoiled!

Asiel
07-12-2011, 06:25 PM
We've had between 28-31 for the last two weeks with one or two days of a few showers which did nothing to cool things off. The humidity is almost unbearable I stay inside with the air on but I do enjoy getting out when it isn't too hot. Malls all have a/c fortunately so shopping is great. It's nice to see the sun and have the heat after 7 mos of a cold freezing winter so I don't want to complain, in another couple of months we'll be hauling out the heavy jackets again.

Alysser
07-12-2011, 09:41 PM
I think they exaggerated the heat a bit today. I can handle intense amount of heat due to experience being a costume character, so it really isn't one of the things to phase me anymore. In fact, I was at work today. Rather then being out an hour we were doing half hour sets and hour breaks. It was really nice actually. I get paid for most of my breaks so I enjoy it. :cool: Break-room temp ranges from 60-76 on any given day. I believe today it was around 70.

It was supposed to be 103 with the humidity here, but I believe it almost reached 97 and it was breezy out. Jersey has been pretty nice this summer.

happylabs
07-12-2011, 09:46 PM
You guys are so lucky to have all that heat! We had a few nice days and that was fabulous. Now it's cloudy, going to rain again (like we need more). In fact there are heavy rainfall warnings all thru Southern Alberta for today. Feel free to send the heat you don't want this way!!! Be nice to have some warmth for a while before the snow comes back!

I would gladly send you some warmth if there was a way to do it. :)

Since I've lived in CA for over 20 some years now, I don't think that I could ever live in a place where they have a lot of humidity. I can't even stand it here when it's in the upper 80's or 90's. I have no A/C at home so I have to rely on fans. The A/C at work usually doesn't work well and I sit between 2 hot ovens. I work in a dental lab and we use the ovens to bake the opaque and porcelain on the crowns. At least it usually cools down at night so I can open up my windows to cool my place down. I've really enjoyed the past few days because it's been in the 70's during the day. I love this kind of weather.:) The weather sure seems way out of wack lately. Will it ever be more normal again?

That sounds like fun making crowns. I had one that kept falling out so they made me a new one and that one did the same thing. I finally gave up and just have the two points from that tooth where a root canal was done.

lvpets2002
07-13-2011, 08:41 AM
:) Yes that is true for parts of TX.. Now here where I am at in TX the last rain we got was First Part Of April which did help to put the Bigg Fires out that we was having.. However we only got enough rain to just wet the pavment.. It is so Dry from the Heat & Wind that we need like a whole week of pouring rain to catch up some.. We are for sure in a Drought.. However I can always look around me && see other people & places that are worse off.. So I will just be happy with what I have && where I live..

I hear Texas hasn't had any rain for 9 months, is that right?