PDA

View Full Version : Illinois state comptroller launches pet adoption Web site

cassiesmom
07-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Judy Baar Topinka ran for governor against Blago. She didn't win, so she got out of politics for awhile. Then she ran for comptroller and won. She's the mom of 3 goggies. I heard this story on the 10 o'clock news yesterday and it made me smile...

By Erin Meyer
Tribune reporter
7:57 p.m. CDT, July 10, 2011
Almost like a dating website, Illinois Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka’s “Comptroller’s Critters” aims to connect adoptable pets with loving homes through photos and mini-bios.

“I’m kinda shy,” reads the description of Eliza, a 2-year-old mixed breed posted on the site by the Animal Protective League in Springfield.

The bio for a short-haired breed with Dalmatian spots named Eva begins, “You look like the athletic type … I love to run! … We could be an awesome team!”

Topinka, the state’s chief fiscal officer, has teamed up with animal rescue groups. According to her office, 50 shelters from around the state have signed up to participate. So far, 17 have started posting animals ready for adoption on Comptroller’s Critters at www.illinoiscomptroller.com.

“There’s a savings in lives, and there’s a savings in money; It’s a two-for,” she said, explaining that stray animals cost Illinois taxpayers a lot of money.

It’s an unlikely match. But this isn’t the first time Topinka has played matchmaker for wayward pets.

In 2003, as state treasurer, she launched a similar site called “Treasured Pets.”

“I’m such a dog person,” said Topinka, who is the proud owner of three shelter dogs, including a beagle named Bella. “She had two huge tumors. If I had not taken Bella in, it would never have happened.”

With Topinka’s help, animal rescue groups say they will be able to reach a larger audience through the Illinois Comptroller’s website and find homes for more pets.

“Depending on what you are looking for, there’s such a variety of animals on the website,” said Rochelle Michalek, executive director of PAWS Chicago, crediting Topinka with the effort. “So many people don’t really understand the plight of animals.”

Karen
07-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Yay! Sounds like a good person, and smart too!

phesina
07-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Oh, God bless Illinois Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka!

May she not only bring about new loving homes and families for many needy pets.., may she also with her high profile bring the problem of homeless and stray pets and the necessity of spaying and neutering to the much wider general attention of the Illinois public..

..and may she perhaps start a trend in other states too!!!!!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
07-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Oh, God bless Illinois Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka!

May she not only bring about new loving homes and families for many needy pets.., may she also with her high profile bring the problem of homeless and stray pets and the necessity of spaying and neutering to the much wider general attention of the Illinois public..

..and may she perhaps start a trend in other states too!!!!!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

This would be wonderful and I hope it happens.:)