PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Christmas trees?

RICHARD
07-11-2011, 07:22 AM
A few weeks ago I was looking out the back door and blinked my eyes a few times to clear the floating specks from my vision.

There are times when I stand up and get these 'lights' that float in my vision for a few moments, then disappear.

These suckers would not go away.

As I stood there for a few more moments, I realized that they were FIREFLIES!

(Also known as lightning bugs?)

My prior experience with them stems from the Pirates of the Carribean ride at Disneyland.

As you walked into the ride you were greeted by a dark stage/area done up like the bayous around the Gulf Coast of America.

As your eyes adjust to the darkness, you see FFs/LBs that are merely small light bulbs that move around like the real thing.

That really sucks.

--------------------------

After blinking and rubbing my eyes for a few moments, I realized what they were and ran into the room to tell my roomie she had a backyard filled with them!

She looked at me like I was kinda stupid - not a hard thing really - and then told me the proper local terminology/name for the little buggers.

It really didn't matter how dumb I sounded! I was very stoked about seeing a phenomenon that I had heard about all these years and finally seeing it for myself.

On the Fourth of July weekend I was treated to fireworks, a lightning storm and artificial fireworks - a treat for me! FoJ in Lost Angeles/CA is usually banned fireworks and watching the National Forest burn because some idiot was playing with fire.:rolleyes:;)

A few nights ago I ventured outdoors to take a look at the night sky - I still have not oriented myself to my new stargazing digs - and came across a tree with sparkling lights traveling up and down it's branches.

I stood there again - like an idiot mesmerized by something that may be old hat to the neighborhood - and laughed at the Early July Christmas Tree Show that Mom Nature had provided.

My next 'science' project is finding out what makes all the noise that serves as the 'musical score'. There are some crazy bugs, beetles, frogs and god-knows-what out there in the darkness?

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-07-01/features/bs-md-fireflies-20110701_1_bugs-michael-raupp-tree-canopy

Lady's Human
07-11-2011, 07:30 AM
Peepers (frogs) are loud.

I love nature's fireworks, the lightening bugs this year weren't that spectacular because we were getting drowned when they normally put on their show.

I feel your pain to a point, because while I was in Basic training at Ft. Bliss some of my platoon buddies thought I was insane for enjoying the sunrise over the mountains during PT.

RICHARD
07-11-2011, 07:38 AM
Peepers (frogs) are loud.

I love nature's fireworks, the lightening bugs this year weren't that spectacular because we were getting drowned when they normally put on their show.

I feel your pain to a point, because while I was in Basic training at Ft. Bliss some of my platoon buddies thought I was insane for enjoying the sunrise over the mountains during PT.

There is a creature that hangs out in the trees that makes this really loud noise that is making me want to climb into the tree and see what it is!

With my luck it will eat flesh or make zombies out of zombies.

-----------------

Years ago I went to visit a gal pal at college. We stayed up all night and went for a walk to the beach.

We found a spot in an area filled with tall grass and sat there to watch the sun come up. It was very cool because it was off a well traveled trail and we could watch the early birds jog or walk without them seeing us.

The only thing better that a sunrise, is a sunset?:D

Bonny
07-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Could that creature in the tree be a little tree frog, with large eyes & suction cups on its little toes? :cool:

happylabs
07-11-2011, 08:05 AM
That is pretty neat Richard. I think those of us that have grown up with such things take it for granted. A summer night in Pennsylvania is equally amazing. I was sitting on my porch steps with a friend a few nights ago and as it got dark the lightning bugs started coming out. Did you realize they live in the grass during the day? If you sit and watch as they come up from the ground as it gets dark it is an interesting show.

The others are right about the peepers, little frogs. They do make beautiful music.

Freedom
07-11-2011, 09:57 AM
This morning, I walked the dogs w/ a friend who'd been to Gettysburg over the 4th for the reenactment. Did I hear about Gettysburg? The Reenactment? The drive? The scenery. Nope, first thing I heard about was the awesome fireflies! :D

I'd not heard about this before, so it was all news to me. Now I come on here, and you tell me another Firefly story. It does sound magical!

She was told that different species will blink at different rates. Some females will adopt a foreign species blink rate and, when the male arrives, she bites off his head! :eek:

Karen
07-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Oh, Richard, welcome to one of the delights of summer here in the Eastern half of the country ... fireflies/lightning bugs have always been one my favorite parts of summer. I haven't seen any this year, but we moved, and maybe they haven't found us here yet!

I have one cousin-in-law that we kinda decided was gonna be a welcome member of the family when he was still dating my cousin, and left the porch during one family party at my parents house to go try to catch a firefly or two in the yard!

Cataholic
07-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Where, exactly, are you in KY?

happylabs
07-11-2011, 01:24 PM
This morning, I walked the dogs w/ a friend who'd been to Gettysburg over the 4th for the reenactment. Did I hear about Gettysburg? The Reenactment? The drive? The scenery. Nope, first thing I heard about was the awesome fireflies! :D

I'd not heard about this before, so it was all news to me. Now I come on here, and you tell me another Firefly story. It does sound magical!

She was told that different species will blink at different rates. Some females will adopt a foreign species blink rate and, when the male arrives, she bites off his head! :eek:

I wonder if I could videotape the lightning bugs coming out at night. It would be pretty cool. I imagine there are already some on YouTube but I can't access that website at work.

Freedom
07-11-2011, 04:33 PM
I imagine there are already some on YouTube but I can't access that website at work.

Ask and you shall receive! :cool: I hadn't thought of looking on there!

Love the music on this one - Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr4MQ7vZrkM

krazyaboutkatz
07-11-2011, 06:26 PM
I haven't seen lightening bugs in years. Me and my brothers used to love catching them and putting them in jars. I grew up in both PA and SC. This thread brings back some wonderful childhood memories. Thanks Richard.:)

wombat2u2004
07-12-2011, 03:28 AM
Wow, cool bananas.
I've never seen them....only something similar that live in caves I used to see on my spelunking trips.
I suppose they are not the same tho.....a bit the same. ;)

RICHARD
07-12-2011, 06:42 AM
Wow, cool bananas.
I've never seen them....only something similar that live in caves I used to see on my spelunking trips.
I suppose they are not the same tho.....a bit the same. ;)

The absolute best part?

To be able to stand amongst them while the rise up from the ground.

I have mowed the back lawn a few times and now I can navigate the area w/o tripping on the tufts of grass in the dark.:eek::rolleyes::D

I have found myself looking for excuses to go outdoors, after dark, to stand out there for a few minutes.

-----------------------

The first time I did that was a little unreal.

As you try and focus on them rising up from the grass, you lose your sense of balance! I guess it's a spatial thing that got thrown off inside my head-but that - along with the idea that I was seeing something that I had only heard about in books and in movies was quite a rush.

Yes, you do want to run about and catch one- just to see what they look like up close...I guess that will have to wait until I get over the rush of seeing something I really wasn't prepared for.

(My next science project is to find out what are those freaking noisy insects in the trees!)

aTailOf2Kitties
07-12-2011, 07:08 AM
I'm seeing less and less of them every year for some reason, but I had one on my window just the other night. I read somewhere that toads love them and will eat them until their tummies glow.:p

happylabs
07-12-2011, 07:25 AM
I'm seeing less and less of them every year for some reason, but I had one on my window just the other night. I read somewhere that toads love them and will eat them until their tummies glow.:p

That is funny about the frogs! I was thinking the fireflies were most likely bitter tasting but maybe frogs like that. :D

We have lots of lightning bugs out my way. Would you like me to send you some?

wombat2u2004
07-13-2011, 06:47 AM
We have lots of lightning bugs out my way. Would you like me to send you some?

Maybe we could do a trade. I have some mosquitoes I can swap for a few of those bugs of yours.

happylabs
07-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Maybe we could do a trade. I have some mosquitoes I can swap for a few of those bugs of yours.

No, we have our own mosquitoes. I was going to give a two for one and send them along with the lightning bugs. :D

RICHARD
07-14-2011, 07:39 AM
I was talking to a guy yesterday and asked him - He is a guy that lives in the area - what was in the trees making a HUGE racket.

"Cicadas", he told me!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada

These things are the noisiest things on the planet.

They stick up in the trees and make the loudest sound. It's starts off low and builds up for about 15-20 seconds then stops.

I laughed because I saw a news blurb about a man who was arrested for calling the police because the insects were making way too much noise near his home!:eek:;)

pomtzu
07-14-2011, 08:46 AM
I was talking to a guy yesterday and asked him - He is a guy that lives in the area - what was in the trees making a HUGE racket.

"Cicadas", he told me!

They stick up in the trees and make the loudest sound. It's starts off low and builds up for about 15-20 seconds then stops.

I laughed because I saw a news blurb about a man who was arrested for calling the police because the insects were making way too much noise near his home!:eek:;)

I hate those darn things! I get to listen to them most of the day here when I go outside - they are in full bloom now! Nasty, creepy looking monsters, and they leave their cocoons all over the place.

I had a little green tree toad suctioned to the dining room window last night - outside of course. And last night was somewhat cooler too, and the lightening bugs were putting on quite a show. A couple even hitched a ride on me and got in the house! :eek:

wombat2u2004
07-14-2011, 09:17 AM

"Cicadas", he told me!

They are as noisy as hell. My house is surrounded by trees, and I swear all of the cicadas in the region live in my trees. We have Green Grocers, those things make one hell of a racket.

pomtzu
07-14-2011, 10:39 AM
We have Green Grocers, those things make one hell of a racket.

We have a Green Grocer here too, but he's a guy on t.v. that gives tips on buying fresh produce. He's not noisy at all! :p:D

happylabs
07-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Awwww...you don't like the cicadas? I can't say that they have ever bothered me. It's just a song of the summer. :D

aTailOf2Kitties
07-14-2011, 02:33 PM
I'm not all "ewww... icky" about bugs in general, but I hate cicadas more than anything. I don't want them anywhere near me. If I see one I throw everything within arm's reach at it before running the other way. I call them Satan's Cockroach, because nothing God created ought to be so butt-ugly and noisy. :mad:

Bonny
07-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Pretty soon the CRICKETS will be joining the outdoors concert. :eek:

Karen
07-14-2011, 03:24 PM
I suspected those were your noisemakers, Richard! But at least now you have your answer! And Pomtzu, I am so completely jealous you had a tree frog on your window! So cool!

pomtzu
07-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Pretty soon the CRICKETS will be joining the outdoors concert. :eek:

If only they would stay outdoors. They love to get in the house and serenade you all night - and of course you can't find them to silence them since they never are where they sound like they are. My son's cats help tho - they find them to be quite tasty, tho they don't eat the legs - they leave those on the kitchen floor. :D

pomtzu
07-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Pomtzu, I am so completely jealous you had a tree frog on your window! So cool!

They are cute little buggers, aren't they? Many years ago when we first moved to here in the country and I saw one on the side of the house, it nearly scared the devil out of me since I couldn't imagine what the heck it was. I cautiously got closer, then saw what it was. I was almost expecting the little critter to jump at me. :eek:

RICHARD
07-14-2011, 09:12 PM
They are as noisy as hell. My house is surrounded by trees, and I swear all of the cicadas in the region live in my trees. We have Green Grocers, those things make one hell of a racket.

LOL,
No link to the GG?;)

The evenings are a real trip out here.

Back in CA there was the sound of the freeway, cars, a train line and the small airport.

I do miss the small airplanes. I did see hear one yesterday and had to stretch my head to see what it was!

happylabs
07-15-2011, 12:32 AM
They are cute little buggers, aren't they? Many years ago when we first moved to here in the country and I saw one on the side of the house, it nearly scared the devil out of me since I couldn't imagine what the heck it was. I cautiously got closer, then saw what it was. I was almost expecting the little critter to jump at me. :eek:

They are pretty cute. I had one on my sliding door awhile back after a hard rain and wind. Funny to see them suctioned to the door glass.

wombat2u2004
07-15-2011, 03:56 AM
LOL,
No link to the GG?;)

The evenings are a real trip out here.

Back in CA there was the sound of the freeway, cars, a train line and the small airport.

I do miss the small airplanes. I did see hear one yesterday and had to stretch my head to see what it was!

Thats city livin' for ya. Everything that moves is mechanical.
I prefer to live in the country, no congestion, the air is better, and you get to eat as many cicadas as you want. ;)

Le Green Grocer...............

http://img1.imagehousing.com/22/6169eefacff2732c58c1de68fe8992a5.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/798981)

Bonny
07-15-2011, 06:50 AM
I prefer to live in the country, no congestion, the air is better, and you get to eat as many cicadas as you want. ;)

http://img1.imagehousing.com/22/6169eefacff2732c58c1de68fe8992a5.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/798981)

That is one classy beautiful green bug. :cool:

happylabs
07-15-2011, 07:11 AM

Wow...he is much prettier than our version of the cicada.

Country living is a good thing!

wombat2u2004
07-15-2011, 08:40 AM
That deafening drone

Cicadas are the most efficient and loudest sound-producing insects in existence. While Dr Moulds said nobody is exactly sure which species is the loudest, he said the Green Grocer "must be close".
The Green Grocer, Yellow Monday and the Double Drummer produce noise intensity in excess of 120dB at close range (this is approaching the pain threshold of the human ear). Some small species, on the other hand, have songs so high in pitch that the noise is beyond the range of our hearing.
Only the male sings as a mating ritual to attract the females and different species have different songs so they don't attract the wrong females. Cicadas are different to all other insects in that they actually have a musical drum in their abdomen.
The organs that produce sound are the tymbals — a pair of ribbed membranes at the base of the abdomen. Contracting the internal tymbal muscles causes the tymbals to buckle inwards and produce a pulse of sound. By relaxing these muscles, the tymbals pop back to their original position. The inside of the male abdomen is substantially hollow to amplify the sound as it resonates at the frequency of the call.
The loud noise produced by some cicadas actually repels birds. The males of many cicada species tend to group together when calling which increases the total volume of noise and reduces the chances of being eaten by birds.
In addition to the calling or mating song, many species also possess a distress song, usually a broken and erratic noise emitted when an individual is captured. A number of species also have a courtship song, which is usually a quiet call produced only after a female has been attracted nearby using the calling song.

This is a Yellow Monday We get a lot of these and Green Grocers where I live.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/29/436d8bf571dfcb6632a2189414bfb23a.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/799210)

http://img1.imagehousing.com/77/bfba56d4f097322774cd6091893975fd.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/799217)

http://img1.imagehousing.com/46/a35c7513b22c3248bf7011db4a606931.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/799220)