PDA

View Full Version : My sick kitty

mathteach
07-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Princess is 5 years old and stopped eating 2 days ago. I took her immediately to the vet, and she is in kidney failure. The vet feels she has a great chance, but after looking up her levels on the internet, I have my doubts. Her BUM level and other levels are so high. Am I fooling myself and is she suffering?

moosmom
07-10-2011, 08:49 AM
I have a 15 year old I rescued last year with high blood pressure, kidney failure AND hyperthyroidism. He's being seen by a holistic vet and being treated by Methimazole for the hyperthroidism (the medicine is compromising his kidneys) and another med for his blood pressure. He's not in any pain.

That's the thing...if he was in any pain, I'd definitely re-think the whole thing, but he's not. Probably best to ask your vet. My vet put Barty on an appetite stimulant but he won't eat his food when I put it on his food. So I stopped. I'd rather demand feed him canned food then try and force him to take a stimulant he doesn't like (it wastes food too).

You and Princess will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Catty1
07-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Many people here give their kidney cats fluids under the skin, and a kidney kitty can do very well for years. :) Your vet or a tech can show you how, and you can then do it at home - apparently it is not very expensive. The levels will change.

Check with your vet about all this. Please keep us posted.

Freedom
07-10-2011, 10:41 AM
What treatment has been prescribed? Was a thyroid issue also found? They often - but not always - go together.

I've had 2 who were CF and have passed. One was on sub q fluids for about 6 months. I have one now in early stage CRF. So far, I am managing this one with lots of canned /wet food.

mathteach
07-10-2011, 04:35 PM
She is in vet hospital and they are giving her fluids and an antibiotic. I will be hearing from vet soon. I will let you know how her numbers are doing.

mathteach
07-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Day 3- Vet called and there was no significant change today. Vet said this sometimes happens. He changed meds a little to see if this helps. He felt that there was still hope.

Freedom
07-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Day 3- Vet called and there was no significant change today. Vet said this sometimes happens. He changed meds a little to see if this helps. He felt that there was still hope.

The vets do see this often. Sadly it is not a rare thing. So if he feels there is hope, that is good!

Please keep us updated! Paws crossed for improvement!

phesina
07-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Prayers and good healing energies are being sent for Princess.

I have been giving fluids every day for years to two of my cats who are kidney-challenged. They both seem like they'll keep going for a long time.

More prayers for dear Princess.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

jennielynn1970
07-10-2011, 09:28 PM

I'm so sorry, Sue. I hope that there will be positive change!! I will be hoping and praying that Princess will make a positive recovery and remain princess of the household!

carole
07-10-2011, 10:10 PM
all paws and fingers crossed here that princess will indeed improve and be back home soon with you.

Medusa
07-11-2011, 06:21 AM
If your vet feels encouraged, then I'd go w/that. I had a cat who was in renal failure, gave her subQ fluids for years and she lived a good life. It's easy to do and your kitty will feel so much better. Looking forward to a good report. Keep the faythe. :love:

mathteach
07-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Thanks everyone. I am new to this site and everyone is so wonderful! Vet will call this evening.

catmandu
07-11-2011, 09:34 AM
My Dera Princess Angel who passed on last year , will be there to be with yopur Princess :love: to comfort her and be her friend and we are praying that Your Princess will recover and that you have many years together.:love::love:

Anikaca77
07-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Welcome and I'm so sorry to hear about Princess. There are a lot of people on here that will have great advice. I will be saying prayers for you and Princess.

Melissa

Lizzie
07-11-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm another who has had a number of CRF cats, both my own and foster. Fluids can bring those astronomical BUN and Creatinine levels down to near normal and sometimes normal with time. If your cat responds to fluids therapy, and your vet appears confident she will, you will be amazed by the difference in her in just a few weeks.

Sam is my current CRF foster and was at death's door when I took her, in fact I made the euthanasia appointment with the shelter for a few days later. Two years later, and through several major scares with viruses, anemia that meant a blood transfusion and then weekly shots of Epogen, she is still going strong and greatly enjoying her life. Her BUN is only slightly over normal, Creatinine is normal, as are Potassium and Phosphorus (you will learn about all these levels as you take care of your Princess.) This is all due to fluids therapy and a good diet (not kidney failure diet but whatever she likes.)

I hope your Princess recovers well and is back with you very soon, complete with all the supplies for you to start her at home subq fluids so you will have her companionship for years to come.

mathteach
07-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Yes, while in the hospital she is on fluids and I am now up to date on all these words....all are still high. My question is how long will she need to be in the hospital? I want to bring her home! Also, how often will she need to be seen after she is home?

Lizzie
07-11-2011, 02:12 PM
I've just realized we might be talking about the wrong condition. We are talking about Chronic Renal Failure, which is often seen in older cats and comes on very gradually, although cats don't show it until they have lost about 70% of their kidney function and then the symptoms become acute.

There is also Acute Renal Failure. Is this what your Princess has? Even though this condition is more serious, having your vet say she has a good chance is definitely good news. All the vets I've worked with have been extremely careful not to sound positive unless they are as sure as they can be that the pet will get well.

Do you know what medications Princess is on? If it's acute renal failure, do they think it was caused by an infection? Is she on antibiotics? Are they trying to balance her electrolytes by giving potassium etc. with her fluids?

They will be giving her continuous iv fluids I should think, and that's the very best method because it provides a constant flushing of toxins out of the body and helps the kidneys to keep functioning. You give subq fluids anywhere from once a week to twice a day and the fluids take some time to get through the system.

mathteach
07-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Vet called and stated that Princess went into cardiac arrest and did not make it. I love you Princess and miss you!

mrspunkysmom
07-11-2011, 04:29 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Princess's passing. Play hard at the Rainbow Bridge girl.

carole
07-11-2011, 04:41 PM
oh that is just awful ,poor wee princess, must have been quite a shock for you, you have my utmost deepest sympathy, it is so hard when we loose one of our precious furbabies, HUGS.

jennielynn1970
07-11-2011, 04:47 PM
I am so sorry Sue! I know what it is like to lose a beloved companion. I hope you will know she is watching over you and is now playing, and healthy again at the Rainbow Bridge. You and she will be reunited, One Fine Day.

(((((((HUGS))))) to you!

phesina
07-11-2011, 05:28 PM
I saw your other message in Cat Memorial. I am SO VERY SORRY.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
07-11-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( RIP sweet Princess.:( Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Lizzie
07-11-2011, 05:57 PM
What a terrible shock for you, especially when Princess was still young and the vet positive she could pull through. I'm sorry for all the pain and loss you feel. Try to remember the good times you had together.

dehlers43
07-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Godspeed, little Princess.....:love:

Edwina's Secretary
07-11-2011, 09:52 PM
So very sorry about your sweet Princess.

kitten645
07-11-2011, 10:48 PM
So very sorry. She knew love and the best of care with you. :(

katladyd
07-12-2011, 12:37 AM
My eyes are leaking big time! Play hard at the Bridge, sweet girl.:love::love::love: