PDA

View Full Version : Preggo kitty wandered onto my porch! *started a new thread*

Malibu's Mom
07-07-2011, 09:26 PM
This thread was getting big so I decided to make a new one to track their progress. Click here for the new thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=2373209#post2373209)

***** UPDATE 7/10/11: kitty is actually about 3 years old. Healthy overall and FELV/FIV negative. Confirmed pregnant via ultrasound. No microchip. Is in the bathroom now. Should have babies very soon. *****

So my mom went out to the porch today and there was this black and white kitty semi-hiding by a tree. She came inside to tell me. I went out with some water and my mom approached her and gave her the dish. She was a tad standoffish. I went back and got some dry food. She finished it very quickly and I brought a can of Fancy Feast out. She ran up and meowed her head off at me! She was so hungry.

I could tell immediately that she was pregnant. She seems to be in pretty good condition overall, her coat could be much shinier but it's ok, her eyes are clear and she looks fairly clean.

She's super duper friendly and follows me *everywhere*! She's so tiny, I would estimate her @ about 7-8 months old but I'm not good at telling age.

My mom is afraid to have her inside until we have her FELV/FIV tested and see if she has parasites so she is staying on the heavily shaded porch with plenty of hiding places, including a carrier, a giant box with a beach towel in it, a few tables and chairs and lots food & water. I'm praying that she stays safe tonight and waits a while to have her babies. The earliest appointment I could get at the vet was 3:00 but it's better than nothing. After the vet tomorrow she'll live in the bathroom.

More pics to come later.
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7988/1201686.jpg

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7596/1201685.jpg

Cross your fingers for a healthy checkup tomorrow and a safe (but not too soon) delivery.

cassiesmom
07-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Fingers and paws crossed for this beautiful tuxie lady! Bless you for helping her!

Karen
07-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Awww, what a pretty girl, hopefully everything goes okay with the vet trip tomorrow! She's such a tiny girl to be so pregnant!

Malibu's Mom
07-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks cassiesmom and Karen!! :D Forgot to mention that I posted a very visible flyer and also put her in the lost & found section on my local craigslist. I'll try to get her scanned for a microchip but I doubt she has one, being an unspayed randomly bred cat. You never know I suppose.

jennielynn1970
07-08-2011, 12:38 AM
What a beauty... those eyes are just captivating!! I hope all goes well with the vet visit. Praying for a negative on the FIV/FeLV tests!!

Pets and lovies to the sweet momma to be!

krazyaboutkatz
07-08-2011, 01:09 AM
She sure is adorable and she went to the right house.:) I hope that everything goes well with her vet visit. Please continue to keep us updated about her.

Medusa
07-08-2011, 05:24 AM
So young to be pregnant. Sure hope all goes well at the vet. Paws and fingers crossed. :)

smokey the elder
07-08-2011, 07:49 AM
She's beautiful, and she looks like she's ready to pop any minute! Good luck at the vet.

Freedom
07-08-2011, 08:10 AM
She is beautiful! Looks a lot like my Tuppence.

I wouldn't return her to anyone who "claims" her, they obviously aren't caring for her properly!

Paws crossed all goes well at the vet today.

catmandu
07-08-2011, 09:21 AM
:love::love::love:
That poor Little Momma Cat , and All of Her Little Ctas of the Future to come.
:cool::cool:
We are praying that that Poor Mama Cat and Babies will be all right.
:D:D
Thank God that she has found a place where she will be safe.
Bess you for helping the helpless.
:love::love::love:

lvpets2002
07-08-2011, 12:24 PM
:love: Awee such a Very Pretty Lady.. Sure hope after her kittens are born & weaned then she will be able to be spayed.. Thanks for helping this momma..

Barbara
07-08-2011, 12:41 PM
What a sweet cat lady- and yes she definitely is pregnant. That may be the reason why she is on her own:(
All the best for her vet exam.

Malibu's Mom
07-08-2011, 12:57 PM
I haven't seen her today yet. I am so stupid, I should have just brought her in anyway and dealt with any parasites that she might have myself. :mad: She was hanging around at about 4 am last night. Well, if/when she does come back I'll put her in the bathroom regardless. Ugh, I feel so sick to my stomach over my decision. :(

Catty1
07-08-2011, 02:19 PM
She knows where food is...she'll be back, I am sure. {{{{hugs}}}}

happylabs
07-08-2011, 02:56 PM
She knows where food is...she'll be back, I am sure. {{{{hugs}}}}

Yes, they always come back when they find out where the food and love is. :)

Such a pretty kitty. :love:

Malibu's Mom
07-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Ok, she's back as you all predicted. We were very glad to see eachother - I was glad because I was worried, she was glad because she knew I'd give her a can of wet food :D I know today will be stressful for her but I'm hoping she forgives me soon. I'm such a bundle of nerves right now but I'm working on it. This would be the first birth I've had to deal with - thank goodness I have a friend who has been breeding cats for several decades as a lifeline if I need it.

cassiesmom
07-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Yay! Good girl, tuxie kitty! Please don't go far from the porch.

lizbud
07-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Ok, she's back as you all predicted. We were very glad to see eachother - I was glad because I was worried, she was glad because she knew I'd give her a can of wet food :D I know today will be stressful for her but I'm hoping she forgives me soon. I'm such a bundle of nerves right now but I'm working on it. This would be the first birth I've had to deal with - thank goodness I have a friend who has been breeding cats for several decades as a lifeline if I need it.

Do you have her inside now? If she's close to giving birth & has them
outside, you might never find them. Momma cats hide them pretty well.
Thank you so much for helping her & good luck with the little ones. I'm
glad you have someone nearby you can call if you have questions.:)

mrspunkysmom
07-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Glad she's back. Cats have a sense about where to be. I take it you didn't make it to the vet today?

dehlers43
07-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Princess Chelsea Pearl was about that age when I adopted her - she too was very very preggers..... :)
Brought her home on a Monday and she gave me four kittens the next night! Lots of stuff online about being a kitty midwife.
Good luck!

Malibu's Mom
07-08-2011, 07:02 PM
I did get her to the vet today, sooo sorry I didn't update earlier!! She is much older than I estimated (thank goodness), over 1 and probably about 3. She's definitely preggers (ultrasound confirmed), FELV/FIP negative, no microchip, in good general health. Vet didn't think to count the babies when he ultrasounded (not my usual vet!) but he said to expect 3-6. She is in the bathroom chillin' behind the toilet. I have her set up with a big dog kennel with a box in the back, litter box, food & water and a few toys. She charmed the vet and the vet techs of course. She's such a sweetie. She kneaded the entire time. I'm trying not to fall in love because she might not get along with other cats or dogs, or she might have an owner that wants her back. But it's so hard not to! :love:

Will get some pics when she's relaxed a bit more. :D

Karen
07-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Thank goodness, though she is still a delicate gal, hopefully she does okay with giving birth and all. I am glad you made it to the vet, and that she's safely inside!

phesina
07-08-2011, 07:17 PM
God bless you and the kitties all! Thank you for taking her in and having her checked out and giving her a good, safe place to have her babies.

Don't even think about giving her back to anyone claiming to be her "owner." They sure weren't taking very good care of her.

Malibu's Mom
07-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Oh, believe me - I would be VERY suspicious of anyone claiming to be the owner! It's a real long shot to find the owner anyway. There is an extremely slim chance that anybody looking for her. I'm glad she's indoors as well. I did understand my mom's concerns and respected them. Thankfully it all worked out for the better. :D

mrspunkysmom
07-08-2011, 07:54 PM
I think it's great that you took her in. Praying that all goes well.

katladyd
07-08-2011, 10:54 PM
This little lady needed a caring hooman and she sure found one! I am so glad momma and her kitties will be safe inside. If you keep her, if her real owner comes for her, or if you adopt her out, she will definitely be better off than she was when you found her. Such a pretty girl!!!:love:

krazyaboutkatz
07-09-2011, 01:44 AM
I'm so glad that she's healthy and that she's now inside.:) I hope that everything will go smoothly when she delivers her kittens and that they're all healthy. I look forward to hearing more about her and also seeing many more pictures too.:)

momoffuzzyfaces
07-09-2011, 03:26 PM
What a sweet mommy to be cat she is. Chances are this isn't her first litter if she is over one. I'm glad you have her inside. Hope all goes well for you, her and the future babies. :love:

momcat
07-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Thank you and bless you for all you have done for this beautiful kitty :love: She couldn't be in better hands! I'm so happy to hear her vet check went well. Did the vet give you any idea as to when the blessed event might be?

Many prayers are being prayed for mommycat and her babies! :love:

Malibu's Mom
07-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Unfortunately the vet couldn't tell me when she's going to give birth. He basically just told me that she's in the last stages. It's hard when you don't know the exact breeding date. An x-ray would've helped but I didn't want to put her through undue stress.

About 5 AM last night she was pretty restless, meowing and scratching at the door and such so I went in and laid on the floor with her. She was doing a lot of nesting and was moving around a lot so I stayed with her for about an hour until she settled down a bit. She's been pretty tired today, which doesn't surprise me because yesterday was very eventful. I'm treating her as if she could go into labor any time but I don't think it'll be for a little while because she still has a big appetite. You really never know, though!

Also, I REALLY appreciate all the prayers and good wishes. They help so much. :)

sasvermont
07-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Thank you for taking in this sweet, sweet kitty and her soon-to-be family. If I were you, I would begin looking for just the right shelter/adoption facility to take her and the kittens at the best time. They like to have the kittens socialized and well cared for, I am sure.

I don't think I could do what you are doing, as I would want to keep them all. I did, a few years ago, find a kitten on the road and within minutes, made a deal with a co-worker to take the kitten if I paid for all the vet bills. I just knew I was at my limit with cats. However, having a bunch of kittens would keep my from leaving home etc. since playing with kittens is my all time favorite thing to do. Maybe I should come over soon and kitten sit for you! LOL...:D:D

You are such an angel for taking Momma in and seeing that she gets the best treatment during this oh so stressful time for a cat. I hope all things run smoothly and the kittens arrive during the day on a day you had nothing planned.

Please keep us posted and of course, we ALL love photos. So photos would really break our hearts! And if one kitten is orange, the thread will soar! For some reason, many folks here LOVE their orange kittens!

Thanks again for being such a lover of animals and stepping up to the plate. Not everyone would do what you are doing. There are quite a few folks like you, hanging out here on Pet Talk. I wonder why!:love::love::love::love:

Malibu's Mom
07-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Another sleepy day for her. I'm going to refer to her as Sylvia from here on out, as that's what we've been calling her. I'm thinking it might become her permanent name, but I like Isis for her too. If anyone has suggestions feel free to share.

Thanks, sasvermont, for the nice comments and advice. I already have a list of local places that I like from previous encounters. I will be contacting them very soon and get a plan together. If nothing else they could always do a courtesy posting for me.

If I'm going to keep anybody, it'd be Sylvia. But really, I'd love it if they could all get homes. My little family has been getting along so well lately that I don't want to shake things up too much. But as I've been saying so often lately... you never know!

I've been SO bad about pictures. I'm sorry! I swear I will take some and post them today. And I will definitely take pictures of the kittens when they come. :D

kittycats_delight
07-10-2011, 02:18 PM
She has a very classical face so to me, this is just my opinion but Isis fits her better. She just has that face of the kitties you see in the egyptian hyroglyphs.

Malibu's Mom
07-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Ok, I took a few pictures as promised. But first - regarding her eye. It has been that way for a day. She squints most of the time. Didn't see any damage when I checked. Will try to switch her over to a grainless canned food with a meat like duck or venison. She doesn't seem to try to scratch at it. If it doesn't go away, my vet does house calls.

Closeup
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4154/sylvie1r.jpg

Scritches!
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/1508/sylvie2w.jpg

Good belly view
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8567/sylvie3.jpg

Sleepy girl
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/219/sylvie4.jpg

Karen
07-10-2011, 03:59 PM
She's a beauty - she looks a lot like Lady's Human's Trillian - almost never seen in pictures, but she's also a petite tuxedo kitty with sleek fur.

Sylvia is a nice name, but because she reminds me so much of Trillian, I was also thinking of Jillian!

momcat
07-10-2011, 04:02 PM
What a beauty!!!!! I hope her eye will be okay, please let us know how that goes? Could I ask youto give her some scritchies and lovies from me? :love:

krazyaboutkatz
07-10-2011, 04:14 PM
She's such a pretty girl.:) Since she was found during the Summer this is what I'd name her. I've always loved the name Summer for a female. I would''ve named one of my females this but they already had wonderful names before I adopted them. Good luck.:)

phesina
07-10-2011, 04:39 PM
She is just BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

sasvermont
07-10-2011, 07:09 PM
My big black barn cat Lucy has problems with her eyes in the winter. I always drag her butt to the Vet, and all times it has been nothing but an irritation. The vet always checks to make sure it is NOT a scratch to the cornea. I have gotten a liquid and a salve for her eyes. The med is not expensive and I have found that the liquid was easier to administer. Your vet might just be able to diagnose it over the phone, assuming she has not scratched her cornea. The liquid med. takes care of the problem immediately, adding some fluid to the eye. The vet could never figure out exactly what happens to Lucy in the winter. Dry eye? Nope, she was tested for that.... anywho.... I would have it checked out. Liquid tears from the drug store might give her some relief in the meantime.

What a sweet looking girl your porch kitty is.....and I'm glad she is being appreciative.

Oh, the liquid I get for Lucy is: Neo-Poly-Dex and you apply a couple of drops once a day. The salve is: Neo-Poly-Bac w H/C also applied once a day, but is a bit goopy and sticks to her fur around her eye. The liquid is SO much easier.

luvofallhorses
07-10-2011, 08:00 PM
She is a beauty. She is way too young to be pregnant. She's just a baby. :( I know it's not your fault she is pregnant but it makes me terribly sad to see cats this young being moms. I hope everything goes well for her especially and she has a smooth birth.

Karen
07-10-2011, 08:07 PM
The vet says she's older than she looks, over a year old, but less than three. some kitties are just smaller in frame even when adults.

Malibu's Mom
07-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the tips sasvermont. My RB kitty Amber used to get the occasional eye irritation too but it would always go away on it's own. Petco has an ophthalmic gel and Petsmart has eye cleanse drops. I'd have to consult my vet about what products to use.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Karen. I'll edit the OP now. :)

luvofallhorses
07-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Well she's still young to have kittens, sorry I didn't read the original post.. glad she is older than that it doesn't make me feel as bad and I hope everything goes smoothly. :)

Anikaca77
07-11-2011, 09:47 AM
She is just adorable. Thank you for taking her in so she could have her babies inside.

She looks very much at home. I hope the birth of her kittens goes well for her.

Prayers for you and her.

Melissa

cassiesmom
07-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Awww, she is so pretty! Her fur looks like soft velvet in the "sleepy girl" picture.

sasvermont
07-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Malibu, the eye treatments I mentioned in my earlier postings were ones I got from the Vet, not Petsmart etc. I'm not sure if I made that clear in earlier posts.

Hope things are running smoothly for you and your furry friends.

Sas

Malibu's Mom
07-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Oh, I know that sasvermont. I just wanted to see what I could get OTC in the meantime. My mom picked up an eye rinse from Petco on her way home and it seemed to help.

She is getting more tired everyday. Still has an appetite. She spends a lot of time in her box but still wants to greet me and "help" me clean. She seems happy and content at the moment.

Malibu's Mom
07-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Well, I made an appointment for her eye with my second choice vet for 3:20 tomorrow. I just want to get it taken care of as soon as possible. I really wanted to avoid the stress but I need to get it checked out before she has her kittens. Hopefully everything goes well.

Anyway... we finally decide on a name. We considered all of the PT suggestions (thanks all!) , but ultimately decided on one - Sophia. I suggested that her full name should be Miss Sophia Loren. :D I know it means "wisdom" and she does have that wise, been-there-done that attitude about her, even if she isn't that old.

luvofallhorses
07-12-2011, 10:22 PM
I hope everything goes ok with her eye. That's a beautiful name! :)

Malibu's Mom
07-13-2011, 06:56 PM
I am SO glad I made that appointment with one of my favorite vets. She could almost immediately tell that she had an ulcer in her right eye and the beginning of one in the left. She stained her eye to confirm it. She is 99% positive that she has herpes. The stress of going to the vet, being pregnant, in a new place etc probably caused an outbreak. And this of course means her kittens will have it too, which makes rehoming a little more difficult. But I know that cats with herpes can live full, happy lives just like people can. I'll have to start doing some research on it, since I can't help but be a little worried about transfer to my own cats. She gave her some antibiotic ointment to put right in to her eye, and some L-Lysine powder that will hopefully help. Poor girl... if she had just been spayed and kept inside none of this would be happening. :(

cassiesmom
07-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Oh, no! Poor Sophia! Good on you for taking care of her. I hope the kittens are herpes virus negative, if that's possible.

sasvermont
07-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Well, that stinks, herpes eh? I suppose it could be worse. I don't know much about the virus except that it is a virus and that most cats have exposure to it a some time in the life. I hope all settles down and the kittens and momma cat can have a pleasant several weeks with you while the kittens grow. I hope the eye problem clears quickly.

So glad you made that vet appointment so quickly. Wow. I am surprised but then again, a throw away kitty is exposed to SO much.

No kittens yet? Keep us posted.:):):):):););););)

jennielynn1970
07-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Poor girl.... and she asked for none of this to be happening to her. Her former owners need a slap upside the head for not taking better care of her!!!

I used to give l-Lysine to my one FIV kitty. I actually take it myself because I get cold sores (herpes simplex type 1). Foods like chicken and eggs are high in it as well. So, you may want to make some home made chicken "mousse" for her as well. I make it for my FIV+ kitty who has no teeth. Bake chicken thighs (cheaper than boneless, and you get more meat for your money), take out the one bone that they have in them. Put in food processor with the liquid you baked them in, and whirr it up. Chill in the fridge and just serve small portions with a spoon. My guy loves his chicken mousse!

Malibu's Mom
07-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Ugh, had such a rough night. Nothing to do with Sophia. My beautiful budgie Claudette, who I had for several years, passed away suddenly last night. Just fell from her perch and died within a few minutes before I had time to call the emergency vet. Had to bury her at 11:00 clock at night. Still crying about it today. :(

No kittens yet. Thinking of taking her temperature daily. When it drops they usually have them within 24 hrs.

The herpes really surprised me too. Just wasn't expecting it. But I am actually kind of glad she had an outbreak so I discovered it and I can treat it, plus now I know not to let her interact with the other cats. She is NOT enjoying the eye ointment! But it's for her own good. At least she likes the powder on her food. I think it tastes like fish.

@jenn - thank you so much for the advice and the recipe! I really appreciate it. :)

phesina
07-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Oh.. my deepest sympathy to you on the sudden loss of your beloved Claudette. She's at the Rainbow Bridge now, where you'll be together again.. One Fine Day.

Continuing prayers for Sophia and the kittens-to-come.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

sasvermont
07-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your birdie passing away. All pets are so special to us. It is sad when they decide it's time to go to RB.

I know Lucy, my kitty with the eye issues, loathes the ointment that's why I opted for the liquid whatever. I don't know exactly what the stuff is that her vet gave us! I don't think its an antibiotic.

Well, good lucky deary and again, I am sorry to hear about your dear bird. XOXO

Malibu's Mom
07-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Thank you for the sympathy. I know she's up there with a great group of people and animals, including her original mate. :)

No babies, no obvious signs of impending delivery. Still not happy with me for messing with her eye. Can't wait 'til I can stop being the "bad guy." Starting to wonder just how pregnant she is.

Malibu's Mom
07-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Well, I woke up to the room in complete disarray, which could be a sign she's getting close. Her eye is almost back to normal, too. She's really tired all the time. So, nothing exciting, just playing the waiting game.`

cassiesmom
07-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Thank you for the sympathy. I know she's up there with a great group of people and animals, including her original mate. :)

No babies, no obvious signs of impending delivery. Still not happy with me for messing with her eye. Can't wait 'til I can stop being the "bad guy." Starting to wonder just how pregnant she is.

How long does a normal pregnancy last for a cat? Does a cat require life-long medication if she has herpes? I hope the delivery will go smoothly and that the kittens and mommy-kitty will all be healthy-- apart from the problem with mommy's eye that you already started taking care of.

Grace
07-16-2011, 10:53 PM
How long does a normal pregnancy last for a cat? Does a cat require life-long medication if she has herpes? I hope the delivery will go smoothly and that the kittens and mommy-kitty will all be healthy-- apart from the problem with mommy's eye that you already started taking care of.

Normal cat pregnancy - about 2 months.

Not sure about the medication part. In humans, if the mom is having a flare-up, a c-section is done. Babies can acquire the herpes virus via a vaginal delivery. Not sure about cats.

Malibu's Mom
07-17-2011, 01:22 PM
From what I've read the only thing they need for the rest of their lives is L-Lysine. Their own immune system usually does the job of controlling the virus, which is why they have flare-ups during times of stress when the immune system is suppressed. They will probably need antibiotics when they have a flare-up to control any secondary bacterial infections.

I'm sure they would benefit from Rescue Remedy & Feliway when they are prone to stress, too.

sasvermont
07-19-2011, 09:26 AM
I bet cats get exposed to all types of viruses etc. and if they are healthy and LUCKY their immune system fights them off nicely. We never know what their exposure is unless they come down with the illness.

I once had a cat that was a carrier of a disease and shared it with me, but the other cats did not get it, although they were exposed to it. It was ring worm.

I hope your little guys will build up an immunity to the virus and be ok.

Any news on the kittens? They must be coming soon. Can't wait for the photos. Hint, hint.

Keep us posted!

Malibu's Mom
07-19-2011, 10:27 PM
No kittens yet. And when they do come, I will definitely take pictures.. :D

We had an "arguement" over her attempting to jump in the window... I was trying to tell her that she was in no condition to be trying to jump that high but she thought otherwise. :rolleyes: So I had to block the window off from her to remove the temptation. She just made me so nervous - I guess most animals don't recognize their physical limitations which is why I need to make sure she has a completely safe environment. Just never thought she would be so interested in the window. She probably misses the outdoors. :(

Malibu's Mom
07-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Oops! Sorry for no updates, even though there's nothing really to update on. No babies. She looks exhausted today but still waddles over to say hi. She wasn't as excited about her wet food as she usually is. Hoping it's related to being pregnant and not some new issue. She's been enjoying her window time a few times every day.

I am going to start working on getting some good new pics of her. The bathroom lighting isn't the greatest and I can't use the flash because it bugs her eye so it's a little tricky. I promise I will post them when/if I get them, though. :D

Purr-tender
07-22-2011, 10:53 PM
I've checked in several times today hoping for babies news. Sounds like she is very close.
Wanted to tell you too, that I have a herpes cat. We call him Snot-nose Fred:p I have several other cats and not one of them has been affected. Fred's been with us since he was about 5 mos. old and he's 4 yrs old now. I tried the L-lysine for several months but I couldn't see that it helped him. He's been on so many different antibiotics in his life, none give him any relief. Despite his runny, sneezie nose he's a very happy boy.

Mary

Malibu's Mom
07-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Sorry to leave you hanging Purr-tender! That's so good to hear about your herpes kitty. Hearing stories like yours gives me hope about Sophia and the kittens' future. :D

Malibu's Mom
07-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Sophia is still pregnant. :D I've been trying to spend all the good quality time with her I can because I know she'll be constantly busy with the kittens for a good while.

Purr-tender
07-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Come on Miss Sophia, we are waiting to meet your little ones! I remember when my Annabelle was extremely pregnant (I rescued her in that condition) she was a mess. She would use her bed for a litter box and other strange things. I think this was her first (and last!) and she didn't know what was happening to her. I even took her back to the vet thinking there was something wrong with her. I helped her deliver each one and helped clean them up for her. She had 7 babies! Only 5 were live births. Each one was beautiful like their mama. One of the hardest things to do was to let them go to new homes when they were old enough! Annabelle is our show cat, not literally, but she is a raving beauty!
Can't wait to see Sophia's babies! Glad you're giving her extra lovins' She's a lucky girl!

Malibu's Mom
07-24-2011, 10:31 PM
I think she's going to take her sweet time with these kittens. LOL. :p

Miss Sophia is a bit like your Annabelle was. I have the litterbox in a dog kennel that is lined with puppy pads so I can just toss those out when she misses the litterbox. She does seem to understand the concept of using it pretty well, but most of the pregnant cats I've cleaned up after seem to have aiming issues, probably due to their drastically increased girth. ;)

7 kittens... I really hope Soph's litter is much smaller! So sorry about the stillborns, that is a part I am dreading. But glad that you were able to find your beautiful litter of kittens homes, no matter how hard it was. That is also a part I am dreading!

And hey - Anabelle might just like being a "real" show cat... you never know 'til you try it! I am always trying to encourage people to enter their cats in shows as Household Pets because I love to demonstrate that there are beautiful, loving, unique cats on the street & in shelters, too. :)

Malibu's Mom
07-27-2011, 12:53 AM
No kittens, but some new Sophia pics!

Her ulcerated eye is much better. She keeps it open normally 90% of the time. The reason she's squinty in some of the pics is because of the flash. You can definitely see the ulcer in the photos though.

"Can I stop being pregnant now? Pretty please?"
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5367/1201734.jpg

A good shot of the ulcer
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/5893/1201735.jpg

Belly shot
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3200/1201740.jpg

See - she's not always super squinty!
http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/6531/1201741.jpg

and I'm going to sneak in a Buddy pic from one of our recent walks. Isn't he handsome? :)
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/74/1011708.jpg

krazyaboutkatz
07-27-2011, 01:00 AM
At first I thought that Sophia had her kittens. She sure is a pretty girl and will hopefully have them soon.:) Buddy is so handsome. As you probably already know, I'm a huge orangie fan.:)

Malibu's Mom
07-27-2011, 01:18 AM
At first I thought that Sophia had her kittens. She sure is a pretty girl and will hopefully have them soon.:) Buddy is so handsome. As you probably already know, I'm a huge orangie fan.:)

Sorry to get your hopes up!! I know every time I wake up in the morning I get excited and want to go see if she had them during the night. I'm trying to be patient but it's hard.

Thank you. I love orangies as well. How could you not? :)

katladyd
07-27-2011, 01:56 AM
How can you not love an orangey?:love: C'mon! :D

phesina
07-27-2011, 05:04 AM
Such sweeties!

smokey the elder
07-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Are you sure she's pregnant? A few years ago I had this cat who I could have sworn was pregnant, but she was just fat!

cassiesmom
07-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Awww, Sophia! What a lovely girl, and I'm glad your eye is improving.

And Buddy-- I have a very soft spot for orange kitties! Hi, handsome kitty!

Malibu's Mom
07-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Are you sure she's pregnant? A few years ago I had this cat who I could have sworn was pregnant, but she was just fat!

Yes, she has been confirmed pregnant via ultrasound, and two vets agree that she's close to birthing. :)

And thanks to katladyd, phesina and cassiesmom :D

smokey the elder
07-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Well, I hope she pops soon!

dehlers43
07-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Kittens! We want kittens!
Can't wait to see the little ones!

sasvermont
07-28-2011, 05:57 AM
It would be nice to see photos of these lucky kittens. If they only knew what the alternative may have been. Being born outside, exposed to the elements must be very stressful for all involved. Now they will have the comfort of a home and an attendant none the less. Wow, such a difference.

I surely hope the births go smoothly and little Mom has an easy time of it. I wish that eye thing would clear up. I am not sure why the meds haven't cleared up the ulcer. Is that normal for it to take this long? Is it getting better? I wonder if a different med might do the trick? Oh well, she's not MY cat, so why am I worrying.

Hey, if you need some help with the vet bills, please say so. I am sure a few of us would chip in. Just PM us, me. OK?

Keep us posted.

Off to take my pupster to the doggie day care. She just loves the place.

cassiesmom
07-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Hey, if you need some help with the vet bills, please say so. I am sure a few of us would chip in. Just PM us, me. OK?

Agree agree!

Malibu's Mom
07-28-2011, 02:01 PM
No kittens. Starting to threaten her - have your babies soon or I'll get the plunger out! :p It's been like 20 days since that other vet said it'd be soon. I mean, she HAS to have them any day now since she was so obviously pregnant when we found her.

sasvermont - Her eye has actually been getting much better. There is very little watering and she holds it open all the time now. The ulcer is just still there, but it does not appear to cause her much pain any more. I don't know how long it takes for it to go away completely but I'd guess it would take longer for it to heal since her body is preoccupied with taking care of the kittens. I'm sure the stress on her system is kind of exacerbating it a little as well but I do see it healing.

Hope your pup has/had fun at daycare!

THANK YOU to sasvermont and cassiesmom for the offer of help with vet bills! I think we should be just fine for now. We are FAR from wealthy but we make due with what we've got. And CareCredit sure helps a ton!

Aren't my parents just awesome for putting up with me? My dad didn't even like cats when my mom met him. :D

Malibu's Mom
07-29-2011, 02:25 PM
No gatitos. :confused:

I think it's actually been good for us to have this bonding time. She's especially bonded to me now. When I give her chin scritches she really leans in, purrs, kneads and likes to nibble on my hand. She is too cute. :)

Malibu's Mom
07-30-2011, 01:42 PM
There needs to be a pulling hair out smiley. LOL. No kittens.

Yesterday I was in there cleaning out her litterbox. I stopped to give her scritches and she started to "groom" my hand! She is really sensitive about having any other area touched right now but she just loves having her chin scritched. :)

Malibu's Mom
07-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Ok - I think she might be close. She only ate a little of the wet food and really wants to get out of the room. She wanted to get into the cupboard so I set it up for her in case she wanted an alternative to the kennel, as the cupboard is more private. Could be another false alarm but I'm not sure.

Here she is in all her pregnant glory
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/8493/1201750.jpg

Taz_Zoee
07-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Boy she is DEFINITELY pregnant. No way around that. I am a nervous wreck just checking in on this thread. I can't imagine what you are going through.

I just hope for a safe delivery and that all of them are healthy and you can find homes for them. :)

krazyaboutkatz
07-30-2011, 04:49 PM
I hope that you're right and that when the time comes that everything will go smoothly.:) I'm sure you already this but here's a link that tells more about pregnancy in cats: http://www.best-cat-tips.com/cat_pregnancy.htm.

sasvermont
07-30-2011, 06:27 PM
She looks as though she is going to explode! Wow. We should start a lottery. I think she's going to have them tomorrow.

Good luck. We are all like little worry warts here. I don't know if I could be so calm as you seem to be. I would be a mess.

Hugs to you for taking her in and caring for her. You are a sweetheart, for sure.

Sas

mrspunkysmom
07-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Hugs to you for taking her in and caring for her. You are a sweetheart, for sure.

Sas

That she is. :love:

The delayed birth giving her bonding time is good. Been an auntie for kits and pups and the mom changes personality when the babes are born. It's better if the mom knows you.

And sometimes the mom wants human help. I had to spend the night at my mom's when Molly had her second litter of pups because Molly wanted me to stay beside her the whole night. Crate Furniture Love Seats are NOT comfortable.

Anyway, make sure any small holes are covered so she can't hide them. That has been known to happen with felines.

And bless you for caring for her.

Malibu's Mom
07-30-2011, 10:41 PM
@Taz_Zoee - you should see her in RL. She looks like she swallowed a cantaloupe.

@krazyboutkatz - thank for for that link, I hadn't seen it yet :) I'll add it to my "pregnant cat" folder.

@sasvermont - too bad I'm broke or I'd seriously do that. Ok - I will put *username here* WAS RIGHT! in my signature to whoever guesses the closest date/hour. Deal? ;)

And me, calm? Gee, I must come across totally different over the internet than I do in real life! I'm very worried about how things will go, but I have educated myself on what is and isn't normal and will do all I can to make sure everything goes alright.

@mrspunkysmom - yes, totally agree. I will respect her wishes if she doesn't want me to observe, but I'm hoping she'll be comfortable with me keeping an eye on her from afar, so I can make sure there aren't any difficulties.

I have had two kittens living in the bathroom before and they pretty much revealed the "weaknesses" in there. Cats can always outsmart you, but I'm pretty sure I covered my bases when I kitten proofed it. Thanks for the reminder :)

and THANK YOU to everyone! You guys are all too sweet.

luvofallhorses
07-30-2011, 11:10 PM
I am sure she will have them soon, good luck with her and the little ones! I hope she has a smooth birth and all the babies are born healthy! :)

katladyd
07-31-2011, 01:39 AM
Okay, I'll take Tuesday morning! Just givin' her a little time, here.;) Since everyone else is naming an hour, 9:30 a.m.!

dehlers43
07-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Just because I want things to get started, I'll say tonight....probably at the most inconvenient time possible.....she is a cat, ya know....:D

Malibu's Mom
07-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Well, she hasn't had them yet. My mom thinks she'll have them tonight too.

krazyaboutkatz
07-31-2011, 06:02 PM
Okay since she's getting so close, my guess will be around 2am Monday morning. Most births seem to be at odd hours any way.

When I was about 8 years old I had a female cat and she was pregnant. It was June 5th in the afternoon and I remember telling my mom that I wish she'd have her kittens soon. A little while later I heard her howling and I saw a kitten coming out of her. We got a box for her and we were able to watch her give birth to 6 healthy kittens. It was quite a learning experience for me since I was so young.:) Our female dog became the kittens second mother and our cat was fine with this because she trusted her so much.:)

Karen
07-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Put me down for Tuesday, 4 a.m.!

Purr-tender
07-31-2011, 08:45 PM
Hmm...I'm gonna say she'll deliver Monday evening @ 8pm.

Malibu's Mom
08-01-2011, 01:32 AM
She's starting right now. Please pray that all goes well

krazyaboutkatz
08-01-2011, 01:33 AM
She's starting right now. Please pray that all goes well

Wow!!! Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way that everything will go well.:love: Please update us when you can.:) It sounds like your mom was right.;)

Malibu's Mom
08-01-2011, 01:50 AM
heavy labor looks like. no sac yet. is purring, kneading, licking my hand. trying to not have a panic attack

krazyaboutkatz
08-01-2011, 02:01 AM
I was trying to look up to see how long it could take for a cat to have kittens. Depending on the number of kittens it said it could be 10 hours.:eek: I don't remember it taking that long for my family cat to have 6 of them. To me it seemed like it only took an hour or so but that was a long time ago. Good luck.:)

Malibu's Mom
08-01-2011, 02:15 AM
little black kitten. looks healthy. is mewing.

Malibu's Mom
08-01-2011, 02:30 AM
water broke for second kitten
edit: is a tuxie like mom :)

krazyaboutkatz
08-01-2011, 02:30 AM
little black kitten. looks healthy. is mewing.

Yay!!!:) I'm still up because I have tomorrow off. The first one didn't take too long.:)

Malibu's Mom
08-01-2011, 02:48 AM
i will continue to report live then. :) black kitten is nursing and little tuxie making lots of noise.

Malibu's Mom
08-01-2011, 02:54 AM
btw i'm very tired already and dont want to use the flash so will posts pics in the morning

krazyaboutkatz
08-01-2011, 03:03 AM
So there are now 2 kittens that have been born.:love: They both sound adorable and I'm so glad that they're both doing well.:love:

Malibu's Mom
08-01-2011, 03:11 AM
oops forgot to post.. she had another tuxie several mins ago. all are trying to nurse/are nursing.

krazyaboutkatz
08-01-2011, 03:17 AM
So now there are 3 cute widdle kittens.:love: I wonder if there will be an orangie thrown into the mix at all.;)

Barbara
08-01-2011, 03:25 AM
That sounds wonderful- but just like Tracey I wonder whether there have been more?
All the best for you and the little family.

krazyaboutkatz
08-01-2011, 03:45 AM
Are there any more kittens being born? I really need to get to bed soon.

Malibu's Mom
08-01-2011, 03:45 AM
definitely has more in there. she is having contractions atm.

krazyaboutkatz
08-01-2011, 03:46 AM
definitely has more in there. she is having contractions atm.

Yippee!!!:D Since she looked quite pregnant, I would guess that she could have as many as 5-6 kittens total.:)

Malibu's Mom
08-01-2011, 03:47 AM
woah! she pushed that one out real quick! another b&w

Malibu's Mom
08-01-2011, 03:49 AM
krazy - hey, don't see the point of us BOTH losing sleep. you can go to sleep and look forward to kitten pictures in the morning :)

krazyaboutkatz
08-01-2011, 03:54 AM
krazy - hey, don't see the point of us BOTH losing sleep. you can go to sleep and look forward to kitten pictures in the morning :)

I was just going to say that I'm going to bed now so I'll see everything later on in the morning or maybe even early afternoon. Good luck with everything.:)

Malibu's Mom
08-01-2011, 04:10 AM
Thank you :)
I'm going to quit updating because I can hardly see the screen, my eyes are so tired. I suspect she has a few left to go so this might take awhile... i will update in the morning.

Moesha
08-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Can't wait to get the final total and pictures!

Scooter's Mom
08-01-2011, 06:51 AM
I hope everything went well. Praying for mommie kitty and all babies.

sasvermont
08-01-2011, 06:53 AM
I think the person(s) who guessed the closest delivery date should have their names(s) attached to the kitten(s) matching the sex of the kitten.... i.e. Sassy for the first female....etc. I don't think we had any men guessing the delivery date/time. I know that I said Sunday night, but hey, it was only a couple of hours past that time....very close....and Malibu's Mom's Mom also selected Sunday night, I think, so her name should be chosen too? Just a thought. I know that there are more important things to worry about right now. I will move on from this topic. I've had too much coffee, I think.

I can't wait to see the photos, assuming MM can even use the camera at this point. I surely hope she got some sleep. It sounds as though this Momma cat is doing her job nicely.

I have never seen a cat have her kittens in real time, only in videos. It must be such an event. Puppies too. I guess I have seen the aftermath of pets making the babies.....not terribly attractive....for cats or dogs....but the birth seems heavenly except for the discomfort for the Mom....the reward seems to be worth it...

Congrats Malibu Mom and family. I hope we get lots of photos!

kaycountrygal
08-01-2011, 08:00 AM
9AM Mon 8.1.11. Oh My! I just re-checked this thread and read there are several kittens now. I can't wait to see photos. C'mon Girl, get those pics posted LOL. Whadda mean you're tired and sleeping? No wonder after being up all night! I'll come back later. Congrats on your new babies. You really are a good caring person to have taken in the cat and made sure you did everything to help her and the kittens she was carrying. Hugs to you. Kay in NC

mrspunkysmom
08-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Oh, congrats on the kitties. :love: Hope you are sleeping right now. :)

mrspunkysmom
08-01-2011, 08:21 AM
You called that one close. But births are never anyone's convenience except the one being born. :D

Okay since she's getting so close, my guess will be around 2am Monday morning. Most births seem to be at odd hours any way.

Catty1
08-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Hope you got some sleep and that Momma and remaining kittens are ok!:)

Malibu's Mom
08-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Ok, pictures aren't that great, but they're pictures nonetheless, right? She only had 1 after I stopped posting. So the total is three blacks with white and two blacks, I think. Can't tell gender. Sophia seems pretty relaxed about the whole thing.

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/7336/1201752.jpg

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/6326/1201753.jpg

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4712/sophialickingnose.jpg

kaycountrygal
08-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Ohhhhh, How sweeeeet! Baby kittens are just adorable! Thank you so much for keeping us informed and posting pics. I assume mom cat and all babies are doing good. How are YOU doing?? Kay in NC

smokey the elder
08-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Sophie looks very pleased with herself. What sweet tiny kittens!

Anikaca77
08-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Awww congrats!

sasvermont
08-01-2011, 12:53 PM
I am so glad you have that behind you. It should be fun from this point forward. At least I hope that is the case. I am glad Sophia is ok too. I hope you got some sleep today.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Looks like KK guessed the time of birth, for sure.

Keep those photos coming! Can't wait to see their little faces.

Purr-tender
08-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Congratulations to you and Mama Sophia!! So glad the waiting is finally over! Now just enjoy those babies!!

cassiesmom
08-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Awww, congratulations and bless you again for helping her!

phesina
08-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Congratulations, SOPHIA and MM, on your blessed event going so well and turning out so sweetly and successfully!

And now, may all involved get lots of good rest and relaxation!

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}, ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~~, and :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:,

Pat, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, Bob, Sparkler, Lavinia, and Princess Poppaea Sabina Eugenia

Catty1
08-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Thank God you took her in! Yes, that face-licking Sophia looks pretty relaxed.

5 babies out of a tiny girl - and all healthy! WOOHOO! Congrats, Sophia and MM!:D:love:

katladyd
08-01-2011, 02:34 PM
AWWWW! Such sweet little kitties. I can't help but think what might have happened to them if you hadn't taken Sophie in. Bless you!:love:

Malibu's Mom
08-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Ok... just a few responses -
@sasvermont - that's a great idea you thought of earlier :) I'd planned to name them after classic movie stars, so I could definitely tie that in with your idea. Thanks for suggesting it! :D
@mrspunkysmom - ok, that seriously made me laugh out loud! So very true.
@kaycountrygal - yep, as far as I can tell there are all fine. I'm doing good - I'm not the one that delivered 5 babies last night, after all. ;)

THANK YOU to everybody!!! I sincerely appreciate all congratulations, good wishes and prayers. This is such a wonderful community. :love::love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
08-01-2011, 03:20 PM
They're all so adorable.:D I almost felt like I was there to share the part of the birth with you.:) I look forward to seeing more pictures and hearing more about eveyone. I hope that they'll all continue to thrive and that when the times comes that you'll be able to find purrfect loving forever homes for them. Good luck.:)

Taz_Zoee
08-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Woo Hoo!! Beautiful kittens! Good job Sophia and Malibu's Mom! :D :D

sasvermont
08-01-2011, 04:21 PM
I like the movie star theme naming thing too! Do it. Guess you need to find out how many girls vs. boys you have there. I can't help you in that area. LOL. I understand it isn't that easy..... ahemmmmm.

Hope you are all doing fine.

Hugs,
SAS and her campers.

astrid
08-01-2011, 04:59 PM
OMG!!! how cute :love::love: My eyes are teary! They are such angels!
Congratulations to the kitty mom and my best wishes for a healthy life for her and the little angels :love:

Thank God you rescued Sophia, by doing that you saved all the babies' lives!! God bless you :)

dehlers43
08-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Yay! Finally!
Welcome to the world, little ones!:love:

mrspunkysmom
08-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Congratulations Miss Sophia and Malibu's Mom on 5 wonderful birth's. :love: And to KK for getting the time right!

It's hard to believe but it has been three weeks since she showed up on your porch. I'm sure that these last three weeks in your care have helped to make the difference! :love:

mrspunkysmom
08-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Not to be a nudge, but how is everybody, humans and cats?

sasvermont
08-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Hey Malibu Mom, how's it going? Have you gotten back to a regular daily routine now? I bet having a good Momma kitty will help you out. Is Sophia being a good mom? Surely hope so.

Well, the little ones seem to be black with a couple having white spots...but mostly black. If they are healthy, they should be easy to find homes for....and then there is Sophia. I hope she finds a good home too. She deserves it for sure.

Keep us posted and keep those photos coming. I LOVE black kitties. I have one. (she's outside on the porch right now....being a good girl)...

Hugs to you and your furry friends,

Sas and her campers

Malibu's Mom
08-02-2011, 02:06 PM
So sorry for the lack of updates. All is well with momma and the kittens. I try not to go in there too often because Sophia always wants to get up and greet me, which takes her away from the kittens.

She is very relaxed about them, maybe a little too relaxed. Malibu is more concerned about the kittens mewing than Sophia is! Malibu is pretty much obsessed with kittens though. She's still a good mom, just not as overprotective as the other nursing moms I've taken care of have been.

They all seem pretty healthy to me. I don't really want to handle them yet unless I have to so you'll all have to wait until they are a little older for individual pics. :) So just a couple of pictures of the pile-o-kittens -

King of the hill -
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/3158/1201755.jpg
Smushy face -
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/7246/1201756.jpg

That's it for now :)

Don Juan's mom
08-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Just stopped in here for an update and.... WOW FIVE BLACKIES!

My late grandmother's grey tabby was called Clara Bow (C.B. to her friends and family). Just a thought, if you decide to name them after classic movie stars. :cool:

phesina
08-02-2011, 03:44 PM
AWWWWWWWWW.... ADORABLE!!!!!!

Be still, my beating heart....

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

mrspunkysmom
08-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Ah, how precious. :love:

lizbud
08-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Awww the babies look so sweet.:) Thank you for everything you are
doing for momma Sophia & the kits.:) In looking at the pics from yesterday,
I think I see one baby with white patches on it's face.(around the mouth)
Sort of like momma.So glad the birthing went smoothly.:)

momcat
08-02-2011, 05:02 PM
OH WOW!!! Beautiful, adorable, cuter than cute, absolutely gorgeous, precious little babies! I am in L:love: U:love: V:love:

I saw their birth announcement at work on my lunch beak but couldn't get the pictures. Needless to say I rushed home and went right to PT. This is a wonderful day!

Mama Sophie, congratulations on the birth of your sweet little ones! When the time is right, your wonderful Meowmie has lots of lovies to give you from me. (MM, would you deliver the lovies for me when the time is right?)

MM, thank you so very much for all you did to help Sophie! Because of your love and tender care the babies were born in safety and surrounded with love when they first entered the world. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Catty1
08-02-2011, 10:14 PM
They are so gorgeous - and seem to have so much fur for their ages. Maybe it looks that way to me because they have black fur.

I guess it's hard to get a nursing pic when Sophia gets up to greet you when you come in! You are HER momcat!:love::love:

katladyd
08-03-2011, 12:28 AM
They are all so precious!!! When you can, give them all kissies from me!!!:love::love:

smokey the elder
08-03-2011, 09:14 AM
This needs a squee warning! So cute.:)

catmandu
08-03-2011, 09:18 AM
:love::love:AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!
:love::love::cool:
Five ittle Eegant Ebonies to LOVE!!!
I know that Tubby Two, Ebony Beau Tubster and Ebony Tubbette Angels will be there tohelp out withthose Little Black Cats of the Future!!!
We can hardy wait until they start running and playing about!!!
All that Good Luck in such small packages .
:love::love::love::love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
08-03-2011, 11:52 AM
They're so cute!!!!:D I'm glad to hear that everyone is doing well. I can't wait to see many more pictures of them.:) Will you be keeping Sophia?

Malibu's Mom
08-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Thank you all once again. :D All is well with Sophia & the kittens today. :)

No, I don't think I'll be keeping Sophia, unfortunately. For one, my life isn't particularly stable right now and I don't feel comfortable bringing another animal in. I also don't yet know how she gets along with other cats, dogs or birds so that's still up in the air. But she's gorgeous, outgoing and sweet so I don't think I'll have *too* much trouble finding a home for her. I'm not afraid to shamelessly market her, either. ;)

gini
08-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Congratulations and a big Thank You from me for taking Sophia in and taking such good care of her and her family.

They are so precious - and their brand new black fur just glistens.

Malibu's Mom
08-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Thank you. :)

I have a cat show with Malibu on the 13th. I'm going to make a flyer for Sophia and I'm thinking of using little "business cards" to hand out with my info in case anybody is interested. My idea is to play off her full name (Miss Sophia Loren), but I'll try not to make it too cheesy. Anyone have suggestions, advice, etc?

Karen
08-04-2011, 08:19 PM
"My name is Miss Sophia Loren, I'm a tuxedo classy lady who ended up through no fault of my own as a pregnant stray. I found my way to a nice lady's house, and she recognized not only my tar quality but my delicate condition, and took care of me through my late pregnancy and let me give birth inside in a nice place. Now I, and my 5 kittens - all healthy, shiny and stars in the making if I do say so myself, all need homes. Might you take pity on me? I'll be forever grateful, and have plenty of love to bestow on my public, and promise to be gracious about it!,

Regards,
Miss Sophia Loren Tuxedo Kitty"

moosmom
08-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Malibu's Mom,

Great job!!! They all look SO healthy and happy. Mama has settled in nicely.

:love:

Malibu's Mom
08-05-2011, 02:00 PM
WOW, Karen! Do you write adoption descriptions? I sure hope you do. You're very talented at it. Thank you so much!!! :D

Thanks moosmom :)

Malibu's Mom
08-07-2011, 03:11 PM
I actually got a nursing pic -
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/4713/1221767.jpg

ETA:
Just wanted to say that I did change the bedding soon after I took this. It looks a bit dirty in the pic which is why I wanted to add that note. :)

krazyaboutkatz
08-07-2011, 03:21 PM
AWWW!!! Look how proud Sophia looks.:)

phesina
08-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Oh my goodness...

"Look at ME... and what I've done!!!!!"

BEAUTIFUL picture!!!!!

Karen
08-07-2011, 03:53 PM
WOW, Karen! Do you write adoption descriptions? I sure hope you do. You're very talented at it. Thank you so much!!! :D

Thanks moosmom :)

No, but I could! :)

momcat
08-07-2011, 04:06 PM
When I saw the picture and the look on Sophia's face one thought instantly came to my mind.....

"Get out of here with that flashy thing. Can't you see I'm busy?"

Great picture, the babies are so beautiful, they obviously got it from their Mommy.

sasvermont
08-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Sophia looks relaxed and MUCH thinner. The kittens look healthy too. Good Job!

Have you been able to determine the sex of the kittens?

I hope you are finally get a good night's sleep!

Malibu's Mom
08-08-2011, 02:18 PM
No, but I could! :)
You really should! Good, eye-catching descriptions can really help get animals adopted. Plus, it's fun! :)

Sophia looks relaxed and MUCH thinner. The kittens look healthy too. Good Job!

Have you been able to determine the sex of the kittens?

She's been eating like a horse, too! Free choice dry kitten food 24/7 and about 2 1/2 cans of wet kitten food a day for a 7 lb adult cat. She's also on a supplement paste. Nursing really takes a lot out of a cat. I don't want to know how she would've fared without extra nutrition, medical care and shelter from the elements.

Nope. I'm pretty useless in sexing them anyway but especially at this young of an age. I wish they were as easy as puppies. Once they are about weaning age I'll probably be able to tell much better. They won't really need names until then anyway. :)

smokey the elder
08-09-2011, 10:39 AM
That amount of food sounds about right. I've also spiked dry KMR into the wet food for nursing queens in the past.

Malibu's Mom
08-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Hmm, I didn't think about that. I do have some KMR powder. Thanks for the advice!! :)

momcat
08-11-2011, 05:07 PM
How are those adorable little babies doing? Do any of them have names yet? Please give Sophia and the rest of your furcrew tons of lovies from me?

Malibu's Mom
08-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Kittens are fine. They're HUGE compared to what I'm used to. My cat breeder friend's Siamese & Oriental kittens are usually the size of Sophia's kittens at like a month or so! They just love being petted. They roll over on their backs and let out a big yawn accompanied with a mew. :)

On names - not deciding upon anything until I'm sure on gender. I'll name them after the three members who were closest - KBK, dehlers and sasvermont I believe? I'll need dehlers' and sas' first names to tie in with my naming scheme though.

Took some pictures but can't find the cable so you'll have to wait. ;)

ETA: Oh my gosh. I feel like such a horrible "foster grandma"! I just now noticed that the smaller solid black has OPENED IT'S EYES! And it was wrestling with the other black kitten!

dehlers43
08-12-2011, 01:13 AM
I'm dehlers43 - Diane..... :)
And don't you just love it when those little baby blues start to pop open?
Sigh......I have kitten envy again.....:D

Malibu's Mom
08-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Well, I had a horrible day at the show today. Malibu was just not happy and really scared and fussy, and I was dead tired and operating on 4 hrs of sleep. First ring she tried to back off the table and got 4 out of 4. I was going to leave after a few more rings but I didn't have any more rings before lunch, and I wasn't going to wait an hour. Of course once I finally found the show manager to ask for permission to leave I got called up to two rings within a few minutes of each other, but I didn't bring her to them. That'll be her last show for sure. Just so stressful.

But then I got home and just sat and watched the kittens for a bit while Sophia enjoyed her scritches. The kittens all have their eyes open and are starting to play. It really helped. I think Sophia would be a good therapy cat. :)

krazyaboutkatz
08-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Well, I had a horrible day at the show today. Malibu was just not happy and really scared and fussy, and I was dead tired and operating on 4 hrs of sleep. First ring she tried to back off the table and got 4 out of 4. I was going to leave after a few more rings but I didn't have any more rings before lunch, and I wasn't going to wait an hour. Of course once I finally found the show manager to ask for permission to leave I got called up to two rings within a few minutes of each other, but I didn't bring her to them. That'll be her last show for sure. Just so stressful.

But then I got home and just sat and watched the kittens for a bit while Sophia enjoyed her scritches. The kittens all have their eyes open and are starting to play. It really helped. I think Sophia would be a good therapy cat. :)

I'm sorry to hear that Malibu was so scared at the cat show.:( Some cats just aren't cut out to be show cats. Like I said before, my Ziggy Stardust would also be scared and very stressed out. Only my Sky would've done well when he was younger. Now that he's older, I don't think he'd enjoy it very much either.

I'm glad to hear that all of the kittens now have their eyes open. Hopefully you won't have any problems finding them homes. I hope that Sophia will also be able to find the purrfect home too.:)

sasvermont
08-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Sorry about the problems at the show. Oh well. You live and learn.

My name is Sallyanne - but my good friends call me Sassy..... and not a bad name for a kitten....hehehehehehe. But I will leave that up to you. You are under NO obligation to name any of them anything but what you want......

Are you going to farm them out to a shelter when they are of age? That way, they may be spayed before the go to a home..... but of course, that means you would probably have to give a contribution to the shelter.

We all would love to see more photos of the kittens..... Pweeze.

:)

krazyaboutkatz
08-13-2011, 05:59 PM
On names - not deciding upon anything until I'm sure on gender. I'll name them after the three members who were closest - KBK, dehlers and sasvermont I believe? I'll need dehlers' and sas' first names to tie in with my naming scheme though.

When you typed KBK were you referring to me? Because most people shorten it to KAK. My first name is Tracey and I don't ever recall hearing a cat named this. It can also be a unisex name too.:)

Malibu's Mom
08-13-2011, 06:54 PM
When you typed KBK were you referring to me? Because most people shorten it to KAK. My first name is Tracey and I don't ever recall hearing a cat named this. It can also be a unisex name too.:)

Oops, sorry, I did mean you! I can't remember if I've heard a cat by that name but I like it. :D

Malibu's Mom
08-14-2011, 10:48 PM
I still can't find that darn camera cable. :confused: I might have to tear the house apart to find it! I really want to show you guys the little ones now that they have their eyes open.

I'll have to take their 2 week birthday pics tomorrow. They grow so fast! It's so crazy.