PDA

View Full Version : Guard Dog?

strawberry_puff13
11-20-2000, 11:09 AM
What breed of dog makes the best guard dog that is over 60lbs? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/confused.gif

[This message has been edited by strawberry_puff13 (edited November 20, 2000).]

Sudilar
11-20-2000, 11:25 AM
By experience, there are two that I know of. The Great Pyrenees at @120+ lbs. and the medium-soft temperament German Shepherd Dog. Both are NATURAL protectors. When they see the need, they will protect. DO NOT train them to be "attack dogs." These dogs can be safe family dogs who will not let any harm come to their families, but will not be aggressive. You do not need a guard dog in a family environment!

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

[This message has been edited by Sudilar (edited November 20, 2000).]

SheltieLover234
11-20-2000, 04:46 PM
Definately a German Shepard or Rottweiler they are the best guard dogs I think, but it depends if you want a really mean dog that you have to put out in the yard when people come over ,or a dog the is only mean to people it knows?And I totally agree with Sudilar:

****SAVE A LIFE ADOPT****

[This message has been edited by SheltieLover234 (edited November 20, 2000).]

ownerof3dogs
11-20-2000, 07:19 PM
There also is the Dobermans Pintcher. It makes a great family pet and is very protective. and looks alone scare away people

raynie
11-21-2000, 12:25 PM
as with choosing any breed, it depends on your life style, where you live, your experience with handling dogs and what type of personality you like in a dog. take any breed you like and research it to the hilt. specific breed message boards can be vary helpful. suggestions: rott, bullmastiff, or boxer. i do not suggest: fila or a tosa they are for very experienced dog people.