PDA

View Full Version : My 10 new pets-pics

kaycountrygal
07-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Hello,
I plan to post 10 photos (of 200) so here are the first 5. As soon as these post, I'll find the others & post them.

For MANY years I've wanted a goldfish pond. I have a real pond with bream and bass and 3 carp but still I wanted a goldfish pond. Effective May 20, 2011 I got my wish. I did all the reserach and supervision (smile) and he did the work of digging out the hole in varying depths. It's about 400 gallons and the water part is 4' x7' and I just love it. I find the little golfish very amusing and smart... and they're pretty imo. You should see them come when I feed them...cute little fellers.

The first photo shows my 9 little goldfish and a frog which found the pond. S/he comes and goes as he pleases. I've gotten 3 frogs out & put them in big pond but frogs keep finding the little pond so I give up. Hopefully, froggy (named him Kermit) won't do any harm. He/she doesnt bother the fish as far as I can tell.

We have herons who come to big pond to catch minnows so when we're not around the lil pond, it is covered with screen covers that we made. I've read of many cases where heron ate all the goldfish and I dont want that to happen. The lil pond has 2 filters and 2 pumps which are keeping the water clear and the fish happy. To me, they are special little pets. The lil pond requires some upkeep but so far it is well worth the attention it requires.

Kay in NC

kaycountrygal
07-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Here are next 5. Hopefully I'll get them posted. We're having a t'storm and we need the rain.

Kay in NC

Scooter's Mom
07-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Get an artificial blue heron and stand it nearby - it will keep the others away because they are territorial. You will have to move it every few days because the real ones "catch on" though. :) You can find them at places like Cabelas or other hunting stores. (Advice from my hunting hubby)

I love your pond! You did a great job with it. :) I bet it's really relaxing to go sit out by it and unwind.

kaycountrygal
07-06-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm re-submitting 3 pics that I made better; they were too light.

chocolatepuppy
07-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Kay, your pond and fish are just beautiful!:)

cassiesmom
07-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Wowie wow! Your pond and fish -- and frog, too -- are terrific!

Picture #4 in the first post-- hi, Annie :love:!