PDA

View Full Version : oh what a day!!

toughCookie
11-06-2002, 12:38 AM
yesterday I kept hurting my cats!! of course I didn't mean to. first, it was Muffin, we have a Murphy bed in the computer room/spare room, and the little spoiled princess meows for me to pull it down sometimes, she likes to play behind it and under it etc., so later I went to put it back up, I had no idea she would still be there!! and I usually check but didn't this time(dumb!) well I got it put up about half way when suddenly I heard 2 horrible screams, and then saw her trying to get out! oh my gosh, it was just horrible to hear that, it scared the wits out of me, I thought for sure I had broken her back or a leg! after I got her out I checked her, touching and feeling her, making sure nothing was broke. I touched her back and tummy, legs, neck, everywhere, and she didn't seem like anything was hurt, and again later last night, so I guess she's ok.
it really scared me! and she was running from me for a few minutes, it scared her too, poor thing. as if that wasn't enough, last night I was bringing Patches in from the porch, and I looked, there was no cats in the door, no cats around, so I closed the door, and then thump! I had bumped Emma's head with the door, not closed it on her but the door lightly hit her head.
not a good day for my cats or me:(
I have tripped over them several times over the months too, one cat or another. I swear they are trying to see if they can make mommy fall down! I have stepped on tails too.

does this happen to anyone else very often?

Nomilynn
11-06-2002, 01:19 AM
I always seem to step on tails when I'm in a hurry and I'm not watching.. but yes I have caused my kitties to have bad days before! Give them some extra hugs and kissies and treats and all will be forgiven! :D

jenluckenbach
11-06-2002, 06:07 AM
I just sat on Amber's tail this morning. I always feel so GUILT when I hurt the kitties. And then they run from you like they won't ever trust you again, when all you want to do is comfort them.:(

Barbara
11-06-2002, 07:02 AM
Yesterday just when I lifted my foot to take off my boots, Filou came running in and just hit my boot. :eek: Of course he said it was the other way round and that my boot hit him. He ran out of the room and although I muttered 100 excuses he tried to hide from me under the bed. :( I was so lucky when some extra treats (there is a malt paste for cats -he's really an addict of that) made him come out and then he came on my shoulder and gave some headbumpies and began to purr. :)

lynnestankard
11-06-2002, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by toughCookie
does this happen to anyone else very often? [/B]

YES!!!!!

And very often!!!!!

I have really 'bad' days every so often when I can't even walk out of a room without standing on a tail or shutting the door on a little head. I feel mortified and luckily they do forgive me!
:eek: :eek:

Last week, after taking the food out of the cupboard to feed three starving furkids - I replaced it - to hear a very strangled scream - rushing over to open the door, discovered Ketchum trapped by the food bag!! (He's a bit dramatic!):o
But thats the first time in his life he's ever gone into the cupboard!
He was completley unhurt - Don figured he was scared of the dark - I know he was scared of missing his food!!!

Lynne

smokey the elder
11-06-2002, 08:03 AM
Diva and Bosun in particular have to "supervise" when I'm cooking. I have to walk back and forth across the kitchen and the kids are meowing to do quality control, especially if the prep involves chicken or lamb!:D

zookeeper
11-06-2002, 08:54 AM
Yep, quite often, Cam wil quite often position himself in doorways, so if I am not paying attention I will often step on him. I have also closed doors on him, went to open doors and he was to close so bumped him with the door. I also do things like this to the dogs. I think it is just a natural thing that will happen when you have pets who need to be by you all the time. I always feel bad and they get lots of treats, so sometimes I think they get in my way on purpose:):):)

11-06-2002, 09:24 AM
This sounds familiar to me .... ! Since little Inka is always following me or standing right behind me , it happens often that I step on her tail or a paw ... ! I hate that , but it is not on purpose of course :eek: . She will learn :rolleyes: , and I am getting used to always look behind me when I intend to move ;) ;)

http://www.cindydrew.com/cats/free/kittenhammock.gif

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-06-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by lut
and I am getting used to always look behind me when I intend to move ;) ;)

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. :rolleyes: Peanut is always a little standoffish, so I've never stepped on her tail or paw or anything. And that's a good thing because she would be mortified and probably hate me forever. Tubby on the other hand, is always underfoot. He lays on the rug by the sink in the kitchen when I'm making dinner. I know he's there, so I normally look before moving anywhere, especially if I have a pot of boiling water or something like that in my hand. I've had visions of dumping the boiling water on him and scalding the little devil.....oh, I mean the little dear. ;) :D Occassionally though, it's not that I forget, it's that I see him sitting somewhere else, and for some odd reason I think he'll stay there, so I turn away from the sink without looking and YYEEEEEOOOOOOWWW! It's enough to shake the rafters. ;) :D Of course I feel horrible, and he knows it (he's a quick learner) so I immediately get out the treats, and he immediately comes right back to the rug so the whole thing can start all over again. :rolleyes: :)

Karen
11-06-2002, 12:44 PM
The WORST incidence of this was years and years ago. We lived in an apartment with a dark brown carpet, and had "borrowed" a cat for a few days who happened to to be almost all black. Well. I was the first one home, it had gotten dark out, the hallway was pitch-dark, the cat was lonely, and the light switch was about 6 feet down this dark hallway ... I must have kicked/stepped on the poor thing about 5 times trying to get to the light switch so I could at least SEE him! (He was insisting on twining about my ankles as I walked!) Fortunately, he was soooo lonely that he instantly forgave me, but I felt AWFUL!

Barbara
11-06-2002, 12:50 PM
There is a worse story that ended badly for the human. My colleague Gudrun has a New Foundland dog whom I call "the black hole" because if he lies in the dark he is just a darker shade of dark. One day 3 years ago she was working at home at her computer in the evening and had only the computer and a little lamp. When she finished she took the teapot and wanted to go down. Well there was Teddy in between and she badly broke her upper calves and her knee and she had to stay away from work for 2 months:eek: :eek:
I think the size is one of of the reasons why I prefer cats.

Cataholic
11-06-2002, 01:41 PM
My oldest cat, Tex, is the absolute worst offender. He sneaks up behind me, quietly lifts my foot, and places himself underneath! Then, howls when I step down.... Then, there is Dakota (aka- fat boy) who sits at the top of the basement steps, hanging his head over the edge, looking down at me as I climb the steps. Now, usually, this happens when I have a large basket of clothes in my hands, or groceries. HE JUST SITS THERE. I always feel so bad when I step on them, or cross my legs, and hit them in the head, or squish their heads in the fridge door, etc. But, they always forgive me. I figure it is just like a little kid that falls down...rarely do they suffer permanent harm...right?

I do hate it when they run from me!!!!!

NoahsMommy
11-06-2002, 02:07 PM
This is always happening at our house. I feel so bad, but you are all right, they forgive. :)

Basil is my shadow, so when I walk around our apartment, I have to look down a lot so as not to step on him. He walks BETWEEN my legs! Silly kitty. :)

wayne0214
11-06-2002, 02:34 PM
After reading all these posts, now I don't feel so bad whenever I step on Nikolai, Little Bit, or Cookie. All 3 of these act as though they want me to step on them. And they give off t he most blood-curdling scream whenever I do. But I believe that they yell much more than it actually hurts them. Whenever I carry something large and have to walk through my pride, it has been found that shuffling your feet on the floor not only lets them know that I'm coming through, but also so that I do not step on any of them.

..........wayne

NoahsMommy
11-06-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by wayne0214
it has been found that shuffling your feet on the floor not only lets them know that I'm coming through, but also so that I do not step on any of them.
..........wayne
That's what I do at night if all the lights are out! Good point!

lailamara
11-06-2002, 03:14 PM
My cat Theo (RB) always got under foot. My mom who was about 75 at the time was taking care of him when we were on vacation one year. She was going down a flight of stairs where he was lying in wait and tripped over him. The cat was fine. My mom fell down the whole flight of stairs and had to be taken to the hospital. The good news was no broken bones only a badly sprained ankle. She was never upset with the cat and blamed herself for forgetting to shuffle her feet in our house.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-06-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by lailamara
She was never upset with the cat and blamed herself for forgetting to shuffle her feet in our house.

:eek: :eek: Oh my!

You sure have a wonderful mother, and obviously very much a cat lover. :)

krazyaboutkatz
11-06-2002, 10:42 PM
Yes, I've stepped on tails and tripped over cats many many times. When it's dark it's very hard to see Pepper and Storm. Storm also likes to follow me like a dog and he's very close to my legs so he sometimes trips me. I also hate it when they run away from me after I've accidentally stepped on them. :( All I want to do is to cuddle them and say how sorry I am.

BastetsMum
11-06-2002, 10:51 PM
Well you could be mistaken that people have bad days with cats but my little fluffy girl yesterday found all her mousies, pulled them out from under the chair, scattered them around the hall way and through the lounge room into the kitchen where they finally stopped at her food bowls. (Mind you this is like 15 mousies or so - mousies are furry mouse-like looking things with leather tails and filled with catnip). I got home, wasn't paying attnetion and went flying on a mousie in the kitchen - I yelled at Bastet. My flatmate got home - did the same thing - and yelled at Bastet. I cooked dinner, she decided right in the middle of stirring something that it was a good time to want to play. I went to the fridge I came back and right in the middle of the pot was - you guessed it - a mousie - I yelled at Bastet. So you see even cats have their dog days *laughs*. :D

BTW: I am Bastet's Mum - the Cat from September 10, 2002. She is now 2 and a half years old and I will be posting new photos of her shortly. Thankyou for all the lovely comments - she is chuffed by them all (and so am I). :cool:

AmberLee
11-06-2002, 11:20 PM
Welcome, Bastet'sMum!

We're excited about your promise of more photos of your beauty. Yippee!

Vermontcat
11-07-2002, 12:40 PM
Just this morning my husband stepped on my cat's tail because she was laying in the dark hallway with her black tail stretched out in front of the bathroom door. She made an awful yowl but she was ok. I have learned to do the "kitty shuffle" but I need to train my husband and son to do it to because they are the ones who tend to step without looking first.:rolleyes:

boscibo
11-07-2002, 12:48 PM
Hanna is always running out from somewhere and into my legs. And one night me and my boyfriend were talking in the bathroom (Hanna's favorite playground) and he was inside, I was standing outside the door. Hanna was behind the door, and she pushed it and it started closing. Her tail was in the crack of the door, and I could see the door closing on her tail! I opened the door in the nick of time. I don't like her playing in the bathroom because the door has never hung right since we remoldeled last spring - any little nudge and it closes. I always find Hanna trapped in the bathroom if I forget to shut the door.

I have stepped on our black dog Rocky more than once. We have a large dark -colored floormat right by the door, he likes to sleep on it, and when I get up at night, I can't see him - he blends into the mat. I have stepped right on him many times.