PDA

View Full Version : When things go BOOM in the night

sparks19
07-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Holy poop

last night while everyone in this house was sleeping peacefully we were rudely awakened by a BIG

BOOM

Yikes. When it first happened I assumed it was thunder. what else would it be at 3:30 am right? except no rumbling, no lightning and when we got up to check the sky was crystal clear and the stars were shining bright.

so what caused this incredible noise like nothing I've ever heard?

This

Explosion Levels Car Wash Near Lancaster; Damages Neighboring Homes - Pennsylvania News Story - WGAL The Susquehanna Valley

This is just down the street from us. luckily far enough away that we only got the boom and not any damage but WOW what a boom. EVERYONE sprang from their beds including Hannah and the dogs. It was hard to go back to sleep later on still not knowing what caused it.

So now we know... Turns out the cause was a gas leak but luckily it appeared that there wasn't any fire and no one was injured but there is quite a bit of damage to neighboring houses

I had to go and see it in person today myself.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/sparks1919/2nd%20set%20of%20pics/3rd%20set%20of%20pics/4th%20set%20of%20pics/7th%20set%20of%20pics/IMG_1013.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/sparks1919/2nd%20set%20of%20pics/3rd%20set%20of%20pics/4th%20set%20of%20pics/7th%20set%20of%20pics/IMG_1012-1.jpg

momoffuzzyfaces
07-01-2011, 02:21 PM
OMG!!! So glad you and your family are ok. :eek: I wouldn't be able to sleep for days after that. Frightening thing about gas leaks, they sneak up on you with no notice. :love:

Karen
07-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Wow, that must have been some noise! Thank goodness no one was hurt, better it happen at 3:30 am than in the afternoon!

pomtzu
07-01-2011, 02:22 PM
WOW!!! Thank goodness it didn't happen during the hours that the car wash was in operation! Pretty scary thought..........

sparks19
07-01-2011, 02:31 PM
yeah no kidding. that could have been catastrophic if it were during business hours.

I've never been so glad to have an electric house lol

Freedom
07-01-2011, 02:36 PM
WOW!

I know, everyone else said that, but what more can you say?

I too am glad all are alright.

I have on occasion phoned the police about odd noises which have woken me up. You do have to wait a bit for the "report" to go in. But I've never had anything like this.

sparks19
07-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Yeah wow is pretty much all I could say when we saw it today. what else can you say? Since no one was hurt I can marvel at the incredible POWER behind this explosion. crazy

Yeah I said to hubby "I'd call the police but what do I say? something exploded somewhere? I don't know what and I don't know where but it was LOUD" but then we heard the sirens. I figured something like that wouldn't go unnoticed lol

pomtzu
07-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I've never been so glad to have an electric house lol

I'm with ya there, Tanya. Gas scares the daylights out of me - thus an all electric house here too.

Puckstop31
07-01-2011, 02:58 PM
I woke up to the end of the boom. (I sleep like a rock...what can I say?)

It was an exciting night... Every living creature in our home was in our bed. :)

----

Side bar for Lady's Human...

I 'swear' I heard... "SPLASH, OUT!" RIGHT before the boom. ;)

Taz_Zoee
07-01-2011, 04:37 PM
That is so scary! Not sure if anyone on here heard of the huge explosion in San Bruno, California less than a year ago. Several homes exploded and several people lost their lives. My friends cousin lost his wife and oldest daughter. :(
I can't remember exactly what it was but it had to do with the gas lines and the gas company had a big problem on their hands. Something exploded and it ran up the gas lines into homes, causing several homes to explode.

I am so glad it was not worse. Scary, yes, but it could have been much worse.
Thank goodness you and the family are all okay.

chocolatepuppy
07-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Yikes!:eek: Very scarey. Thank goodness no one was hurt.

sana
07-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Good to hear everybody was safe and there was not much damage.

Asiel
07-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Wow---that was a mess. I wonder if they found the cause of the leak yet? Gald that wasn't too close to your house. We've had gas in both houses and it doesn't really bother me, for some reason no one ever seems to have a problem with houses, never heard of any house that went up. Propane is very different though, there's been tons of explosions with propane, I would never live where you can't have natural gas. Could the car wash have had propane?
Having electric heat out here is almost unheard of now, people with electric heat can't sell their houses no matter what kind of loss they take...prices are just too high. No one would be able to heat the home with the prices. But I do prefer the electric heat we had yrs ago, I find gas is a damp heat. Our garage has an electric furnace and it seems more comfy.