PDA

View Full Version : Temptation, temptation!

Lizzie
06-30-2011, 03:35 PM
We all know better than to cruise Petfinder while eating lunch at our desk, right?

Well, I ignored the logical part of my mind yesterday and cruised, hitting the special needs and senior cats buttons. The second cat on the list was this one:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/19916668

I spent the afternoon clicking on his profile then telling myself I couldn't afford to adopt a cat, then trying to work. Finally, I called the pet grooming salon where they have a small adoption center for pets from animal control. The person I talked to didn't know much about him but it was obvious he was truly special needs.

I slept on it. Now, like the rest of us here, I'm very used to seeing scores of cats I can't adopt or even foster because my financial resources and time are very limited, but this guy would not leave my mind.

I called Animal Control and spoke to someone who knew a great deal more about him, and she was thrilled after she talked to me that I had an interest in Smokey. She put me in touch with the Animal Control Officer who had picked him up originally.

Apparently, he's the subject of an animal cruelty case because his coat was so matted he could barely move. He was an outdoor cat, but owned. They have been trying to help him and find him a home for 3 months because, in spite of all his problems, he's such a sweet natured cat they can't bear to give up on him even though they are crowded. He was seen by a local rescue group's vet who hoped shaving the mats would allow him to walk properly but he has neurological damage of some kind in his hind end so he's really wobbly.

He's mature, about 12, wobbly, can't always use the litter box properly, so OF COURSE he's my kind of cat. I'm going to the adoption center tonight to visit him. I wonder what will happen.......

Is there a way to block being able to open Petfinder on your computer?

Lilith Cherry
06-30-2011, 03:44 PM
He sounds like a darling and deserves a loving home like yours:) Good luck~

Karen
06-30-2011, 03:59 PM
I wonder if he's a CH kitty, and has always been a bit wobbly, that would account for not only the wobble, but the tendency to get matts because he couldn't groom himself properly. Anyway, he is gorgeous, let us know how it goes!

Queen of Poop
06-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Oh, I think there's going to be a new addition to the pet talk family!!!

kuhio98
06-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Awwww...... Sweet Smokey, you might not know it yet, but your life is going to get a lot better real soon. Your last years will be with love and dignity. :love:

Freedom
06-30-2011, 05:13 PM
I too was thinking CH as a possibility.

A cat who doesn't use the litter box, or can't, does need a special home.

phesina
06-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Oh, please..... !!!!!! :love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Lord, please bring this kitty home here!

Lizzie
07-01-2011, 11:39 AM
He doesn't have CH, and it might be better if he did. I have a cat with CH; Mother Nature gave her the condition which she lives with very well. Some human abused this cat through extreme neglect. They didn't bind his hind legs together with duct tape, it's true, but they allowed his coat to become so totally matted that his back legs were welded together as one. The muscles in his back legs have atrophied from lack of use and we don't know how much use he will get back after being unable to use them for a long time. I'll be talking to my vet about massage, stretching exercises, hydrotherapy, etc.

He does have some general neurological damage also, whether due to a medical condition, trauma or neglect they can't tell. It causes him to jerk one of front legs out occasionally and makes it hard for him to chew. I'm sure there is more but I had only one evening to observe him.

In spite of all this neglect and the physical problems he faces constantly, he is extremely sweet natured and very positive. He does enjoy attention but after some fuss he's off to explore. He's truly one of those lemons=delicious lemonade souls. No wonder they kept hanging on to him.

I could hardly walk away from a cat like that could I? Could you? I'd meant to visit and discuss, and I did at first, even asking if another rescue could put him out for adoption (it had been tried) or why one of them couldn't take him. I visited, talked and thought for about 30 minutes and when I asked for the paperwork and commented my vet would still be open if they wanted a reference, they simply got out a little receipt book to write my name and phone number and said he was mine, no charge. I was shocked. I didn't have a carrier and they didn't have any to purchase so we put him on the back seat of my car until I could get to a pet store. But he just lay there perfectly at ease so I drove home like that.

He's extremely thin and you can see every vertebrae. I was surprised because he's been in care for 3 months but I think I know what must have happened. He loves wet food and stormed through 2 cans of Fancy Feast last night and 2 more this morning. I think while he was in care he was fed mostly dry food because he doesn't poop inside a litter box. Since he finds dry food hard to chew, he wasn't really eating enough although he did gain 8 ounces over 3 months.

He won't be called Smokey for long but I have to find the right name for a cat who has coped with so many bad things happening to him and still has a very positive and energetic outlook.

krazyaboutkatz
07-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Thank you for being able to adopt Smokey.:) He sounds like a real sweetheart and I'm sure that he'll thrive in your care.:love: I'm sure you'll come up with a wonderful new name for him. Good luck.:)

lizbud
07-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Thank you for seeing the soul of this little one & giving him a chance
for a better life.:love: He sounds like he is overdue for a little individual
TLC. :)

Purr-tender
07-01-2011, 01:03 PM
I am so proud of you!! Not many people would be willing to take in an animal with specials needs. Smokey is so very blessed to have a guardian angel! I am sure he will blossom in your care.

Karen
07-01-2011, 01:24 PM
He won't be called Smokey for long but I have to find the right name for a cat who has coped with so many bad things happening to him and still has a very positive and energetic outlook.

Maybe Christy - after Christy Brown, the man whose life became the movie My Left Foot?

katladyd
07-01-2011, 01:32 PM
I am so happy for both of you! Happy tears are in my eyes. Whatever you name him, he is one lucky guy! Please keep us updated on his progress. I think he will do very well in your loving home!:love::)

momcat
07-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Smokey sounds like a real sweetheart! How wonderful to know that he will now know nothing but love in his purrfect furever home.

Welcome to PT, Smokey! PT kitties get only the very best of everything. I'm sending you tons of lovies and look forward to seeing more pictures of you :love:

Thank you and bless you for helping this beautiful kitty!

cassiesmom
07-01-2011, 01:46 PM
I wonder if he's a CH kitty, and has always been a bit wobbly, that would account for not only the wobble, but the tendency to get mats because he couldn't groom himself properly. Anyway, he is gorgeous, let us know how it goes!

That is what I was thinking too... maybe he's a CH kitty. He is so beautiful! Hi, Smokey!

Randi
07-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Lizzie, thank you so much for giving this special boy a chance. In spite of his issues, he sounds like a real sweetie and I'm sure he'll thrive in your care!

Kisses and purrs to Smokey and hugs to you... from Fister and me. :love: :love:

Catty1
07-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Welcome home, sweetheart! :):love::love:

phesina
07-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Kisses and purrs and God bless to you and Smokey both!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Medusa
07-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Oh, a meezer! No wonder he's such a luvvie! He and my Coco would get along great! He's so lucky to have you for his cat mom. Can't wait to hear all the positive updates. :love:

catmandu
07-02-2011, 09:35 AM
We are so honored to know someone who will take in a Cat that most people would ignore and put down.
:love::love:
I had an 18 ish Stray Smokey, and he was such a great Old Cat, and despite being mostly blind and deaf, he was a Great Cat who lived for over five years.
:D:D
I trust that you can help your Smokey get better and give that poor Dear Old Cat a good home where he will know love, probably for the forst time in his life,
Good Bless You for helping the helpless.
:love::love::love:

chocolatepuppy
07-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Such a gorgeous cat!:love: He's so lucky to have found you! :)

momcat
07-03-2011, 12:29 PM
How is beautiful Smokey doing? What a lucky kitty to have found you! Could I ask you to give him some lovies for me?

jenluckenbach
07-03-2011, 06:49 PM
How wonderful of you to love "smokey". My first look at him also melted my heart. Best of luck with him.

Vermontcat
07-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Lizzie, thank you so much for taking in Smokey in his time of need.
A special cat like him needs a special name, Smokey is too ordinary a name for him and he is not an ordinary cat.
Siamese cats are so special, I am sure that he will thrive in your care, his past history is so sad, I know he will be very loving to you and should settle in pretty quickly.
Please give him a gentle hug and a kiss on his sweet Meezer nose for me.:love:

Lizzie
07-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Thank you, everyone, for your good wishes. It's great that a cat who was so severely neglected now has so many people pulling for him.

"Smokey" is now Sazesh. It means someone who adapts to everything life throws at them. I nearly called him Raha, which means free, but Sazesh is easier to say and less likely to cause problems at the vet.

He's eating well, loves wet food, and is very affectionate. That's the good news.

I let him out of his bedroom into the main living area downstairs on Saturday because I thought it would help him exercise his atrophied back leg muscles. He did enjoy it but he moves very fast and his back legs kept coming together so he was dragging them behind him locked together and skewed to one side. It was very sad to see because this is the way he must have moved around until he was rescued. Also, his litter box habits became much, much more random. I was well prepared for mess, going over the side, using newspaper, etc. but Sazesh pees all over. I'm wondering if it was because he wasn't able to urinate easily when his back legs were welded together by matted fur. In a tiny space, like a cage, he uses a litter box mostly. In a bedroom, he uses the litter box rarely, pees on newspaper and over onto the floor. In the large living room he simply stops and pees. It's quite a small puddle, as though his bladder is small or has lost some of its tone.

So, he's back in the bedroom for now because he was causing too much damage. I sit with him as often as I can and he kneeds heavily all the time I fuss him. He doesn't purr at all, just breathes heavily.

He's a very sweet cat and I'm so glad I looked at Petfinder that day. He'll see my vet later this week; it will be good to get a professional opinion. Once I know whether or not it's a good idea for him to be in a large space, I can start saving to put down a large expanse of linoleum. His eyes don't look quite right, either, as though his vision isn't great.

phesina
07-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Thank you so much for taking this kitty in and giving him love and a home.

God bless you and Sazesh both.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
07-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Sazesh sounds like the purrfect name for him.:) I'm sorry to hear that he pees every where when he's in a large room.:( I hope that his vet visit will go well. Good luck and please continue to keep us updated about him.:)

Catty1
07-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Welcome home again, sweet Sazesh!

I wonder if it's possible he might feel safer in the small room? If he doesn't have CH, is there any physio that can be done on his back legs?

Bless you for taking this baby in! :love::love::love: