PDA

View Full Version : Newsweek cover imagines Princess Diana at 50, walking with Kate Middleton

Catty1
06-28-2011, 10:12 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/newsweek-cover-imagines-diana-50-walking-daughter-law-164348924.html

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/1pwkrW0Wpvauuk_iRyXJGg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD02MTI7cT04NTt3PTQ1MQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_ca/News/Capress/NYET290-628_2011_144047_high.jpg

NEW YORK, N.Y. - The latest Newsweek cover contains a ghostly sight: a computer-generated image of a stylish Princess Diana, as she might look now, walking with Kate Middleton.

The article inside was written by Diana biographer and longtime provocateur Tina Brown. She's also Newsweek's editor-in-chief, having taken over after her online publication, the Daily Beast, merged late last year with the decades-old publication.

"What would she have been like?" Brown writes of Diana, who would have turned 50 on Friday, nearly 14 years after her death in a Paris car crash. "Still great-looking: that's a given."

The magazine's new issue also features an imagined Diana Facebook page and a slideshow comparing the fashion styles of Diana and Middleton, who married Diana's oldest child, Prince William, in April.

About the cover, a Los Angeles Times headline asked, "Shocking, brilliant or just plain cheap?" An Atlantic Wire headline added, "How Creepy Is Princess Diana's Ghost on the Cover of Newsweek?"

Brown's answer: Not at all.

"We wanted to bring the memory of Diana alive in a vivid image that transcends time and reflects my piece," she said in a statement Tuesday.

Marigold2
06-28-2011, 10:33 PM
If only it could be..................

Karen
06-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Some people will do anything to sell a magazine, it's just ghastly and in poor taste, as far as I am concerned. Anybody can photoshop a dead celebrity back to "life" but to do it on the cover of a magazine?

caseysmom
06-29-2011, 01:36 AM
Some people will do anything to sell a magazine, it's just ghastly and in poor taste, as far as I am concerned. Anybody can photoshop a dead celebrity back to "life" but to do it on the cover of a magazine?

It is ghastly Karen I couldn't agree with you more, sad to see it posted here.

blue
06-29-2011, 06:11 AM
It would be insulting to the POTUS to have made "Revolt of the Obama Fan Club" the cover story. It also may have injured his fund raising for the re election campaign he has been running since he was elected in 2008.

Far better for a liberal magazine to insult our friends the British then hurt the ego of the Marxist in the Whitehouse.

pomtzu
06-29-2011, 06:50 AM
I agree - this was in very poor taste indeed. Why not just let people remember her for the beautiful woman she was (both inside and out), rather than speculate on what she MIGHT look like today if she was still alive.

smokey the elder
06-29-2011, 07:32 AM
Bad form, IMO.

happylabs
06-29-2011, 08:12 AM

I agree. Very bad taste. And, yes, anything to sell magazines. The media certainly has used her life and death story to the max. :(

Karen
06-29-2011, 09:06 AM
It would be insulting to the POTUS to have made "Revolt of the Obama Fan Club" the cover story. It also may have injured his fund raising for the re election campaign he has been running since he was elected in 2008.

Far better for a liberal magazine to insult our friends the British then hurt the ego of the Marxist in the Whitehouse.

Um, that's the third one - why not a cover about Military Kids, for example, or something for the Mob Wives - that should be salacious enough, but no ...

And blue? The woman who wrote the article, and is in charge is 100% British herself ...

blue
06-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Newsweek is still an American publication, and I doubt the Editor in Chief has a say in the cover layout.

lvpets2002
06-29-2011, 02:53 PM
:o I so aggree too.. It was not a smooth move on their part.. Dumb Dumb

Killearn Kitties
06-29-2011, 06:15 PM
About the cover, a Los Angeles Times headline asked, "Shocking, brilliant or just plain cheap?"
Just plain cheap.

An Atlantic Wire headline added, "How Creepy Is Princess Diana's Ghost on the Cover of Newsweek?"
Very.

I wish to God that the media would put Diana to rest.

Asiel
06-29-2011, 06:29 PM
How tasteless and ridiculous. I for one won't be buying that magazine and I feel like dropping it from my list completely if they have to resort to stuff like this to get sales.

Karen
06-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Newsweek is still an American publication, and I doubt the Editor in Chief has a say in the cover layout.

No, the Editor in Chief of any publication has the final say over issues like that, in terms of content for the cover, and what gets the main focus. She likely didn't control the image itself, like what color Diana's hat was, etc., but other than that, it was her responsibility.

Marigold2
06-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Wow I guess I saw this totally different then most of PT.
I saw it as if only she was alive and with her boys to share this happiness.
I looked at it in a loving way a supportive way toward Kate whom I believe she would adore.
I didn't think it was in bad taste at all. I think of it as her spirit walking next to Kate and supporting her and Will whom she loved so deeply along with Harry.

Bonny
06-30-2011, 03:10 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/newsweek-cover-imagines-diana-50-walking-daughter-law-164348924.html

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/1pwkrW0Wpvauuk_iRyXJGg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD02MTI7cT04NTt3PTQ1MQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_ca/News/Capress/NYET290-628_2011_144047_high.jpg

I like the picture too. It is a reminder that Diana is still the Queen of :love: 's & always will be. No one can take that away from her. :)

caseysmom
06-30-2011, 09:54 PM
The article is disgusting...look beyond the pic folks.

Bonny
07-01-2011, 07:32 AM
The article is disgusting...look beyond the pic folks.

WHATEVER! :rolleyes:

Alysser
07-01-2011, 07:41 AM
I find it pretty creepy, but I guess I will say it was a nice thought. Although I didn't read the article that goes along with it, so I can't really judge it fully.

DJFyrewolf36
07-01-2011, 07:50 PM
I don't have a problem with them covering the story (assuming it is tastefully done) but a Photoshop on the cover? It throws photo-journalistic credibility right under the bus in my opinion.

Sadly this sensationalistic garbage sells magazines. It does make me curious as to the actual content of the article...

caseysmom
07-03-2011, 12:59 PM
WHATEVER! :rolleyes:

Like having a discussion with my 10 year old niece.

Bonny
07-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Oh! So she is smart to you too! :rolleyes:

caseysmom
07-03-2011, 01:14 PM
She is ten...that is her vocabulary, I was hoping for a more mature discussion here.

Bonny
07-03-2011, 03:32 PM
She is ten...that is her vocabulary, I was hoping for a more mature discussion here.

What is there to discuss? You don't like the picture or the article. I like the picture & haven't read the article. I don't have access to the Newsweek Magazine.

I happen to like both ladies. They are both classy & it shows in the picture.:cool:

wombat2u2004
07-03-2011, 05:52 PM
What is there to discuss? You don't like the picture or the article. I like the picture & haven't read the article. I don't have access to the Newsweek Magazine.

I happen to like both ladies. They are both classy & it shows in the picture.:cool:

;) Your opinion is as mature as anyone else's mate.