PDA

View Full Version : My Guiena Pig is Fat!

PerfectLittleAngel
11-05-2002, 04:09 PM
Sup yall. i have a question. My guiena Pig Cozmo is really fat. He has a bowl it is kinda big and i fill it all the way up 2 the top. And he eats it in 3 days!! he is geting fatter and fatter!! How much should i feed him?? i dont know if he sould be eating this much?? ~Elora~ Mother 2 many.:confused:

Rottieluver45
11-05-2002, 09:39 PM
ummmm well My sister has a guinea pig and he`s a little porker too,but that`s ok as long as he`s not THAT big! Try cutting him back a tiny bit! Try filling his bowl half way sometimes,but not all the time.

Chinadoll
11-05-2002, 10:32 PM
With their short digestive track, I believe gpigs should have food available at all times. If your trying to conserve on pellets, are you supplementing with Timothey Hay and veggies? Gpigs should have hay available at all times and have fresh veggies and/or fuit provided at least once a day. Spinach, Romaine Lettuce(NOT iceberg lettuce) Endive, Parsley, Carrots, Oranges, Apples etc.. Some veggies are not good(poisonious for gpigs) like snapbeans. If you do a search on google, you'll probably come up with a site that lists good/bad veggies. Another factor is how much time he runs around each day. I think all gpigs are chubby and cute. As long as his weight doesn't effect his movement or activity level, he should be fine.

PerfectLittleAngel
11-06-2002, 02:40 PM
thiank you all of the information i have another question why cant you give them ice burg lettect cause i have before is it bad...oh and he knocks his stuff all over the place so i move it back and me get mad but it is a wreak should i leave it there?

Chinadoll
11-06-2002, 04:45 PM
Iceberg Lettuce is not going to harm him, but it is made up of mostly water and has NO nutritional value whatsoever. If you want to feed him lettuce try the Romaine. A good site with cavy info about care, food, housing, links etc.. is Seagull's:
http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull/Guineas/

As far as him knocking things over...do you have him in a cage with wire bars on the sides? If so, you can buy a lock crock for his food that hooks onto the cage that he won't be able to move. If you don't have a wire cage, buy a heavy ceramic food dish from a petstore(should only be a few dollars) that way he shouldn't be able to move it as easily. If he's knocking the water bottle off, try a piece of duct tape and tape the bottle to the cage. That worked wonders for my mother's gpig.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I did a crash course in researching guinea pigs when my Mother's gpig ( that she bought a month before at a petstore) gave birth to two babies without us realizing she was pregnant!

PerfectLittleAngel
11-06-2002, 05:54 PM
Thank you soo much!! Yea He knocks over his water bottel and then laugh (Squeaks)about it!! But i still love him!! another question i am.sry for all the question but this is my first one! when me purrs does that mean he is happy cause when i pet is back sorta butt me purrs am i hurting him??

Rottieluver45
11-06-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by PerfectLittleAngel
Thank you soo much!! Yea He knocks over his water bottel and then laugh (Squeaks)about it!! But i still love him!! another question i am.sry for all the question but this is my first one! when me purrs does that mean he is happy cause when i pet is back sorta butt me purrs am i hurting him??

I don`t think so because that`s what we do to herbie(my sister`s Gpig)And he likes it! He purrs too!

Chinadoll
11-06-2002, 11:31 PM
No, you're not hurting him. He's happy when he purrs. And when he's really happy excited he'll popcorn. Popcorning is when the gpigs will be running around and then hop in the air.