PDA

View Full Version : Look what I did. Confession and Explanation #29

mrspunkysmom
06-25-2011, 10:19 AM
:eek:

I rescued a 5 year old orange male bobtail (Little Man now Bob) and a 13 year old Calico female (Fat Lady now Emily). They are in my spare bathroom at this moment so there aren't any problems with mine. I can't take them to the store for adoption until the vet sees them and I can't get an appt until Monday.

Sam and spunky as a bit put out by this. Sam seems to be coming around faster than Spunky. Spunky did let me touch him so that's good. Jane doesn't really care.

The back story:

The lady that had them was at her wit's end (has a Boston Terrier she's trying to relocate also.) and is getting a job that requires travel. She;'s not home much right now.

She had put the male cat out on the porch a few days ago. In a moment of weakness I said I would take them. I couldn't stand to think of indoor cats thrust outside.

I'm not making any judgments; it's just not something that I would do.

Freedom
06-25-2011, 10:47 AM
So for the moment, you are fostering Bob and Emily, huh? Good luck with that, he hee.

Hope we get to "see" them soon!

mrspunkysmom
06-25-2011, 10:54 AM
LOL

I'll probably have to keep Emily since she's 13. Bob is probably adoptable. He's dog friendly and very cuddly. Right now he's scared silly, but hopefully that will change.

I've had them less than two hours.

moosmom
06-25-2011, 11:16 AM
With all due respect, I hope you fail miserably at fostering!!!!! I have and have 7 rescues to show for it!!!:p:p

mrspunkysmom
06-25-2011, 12:09 PM
I do not need 5 cats. However, Sam and Spunky are not so mad at me now. Seeing the carriers might have stressed them out, too. Spunky let me play with him and feed him so this is good.

The calico threw up in her carrier and needs to be washed. The spare bathroom is small, so this won't be fun. I do have some wipes. Sigh.

Randi
06-25-2011, 12:52 PM
I too hope you fail miserably at fostering and we'll see pics and hear sweet stories soon. ;) So far, you've done good! :D

Karen
06-25-2011, 03:31 PM
I don't want you to fail at fostering, if they are adoptable, that's a good deed done! Hopefully Emily will be more comfortable as the day goes on, the vomiting may have just been nerves, poor old gal! Bless you for taking them in!

mrspunkysmom
06-25-2011, 07:53 PM
I don't want you to fail at fostering, if they are adoptable, that's a good deed done! Hopefully Emily will be more comfortable as the day goes on, the vomiting may have just been nerves, poor old gal! Bless you for taking them in!

Thank you, Karen. :) i know y'all mean well, but I know my personal limit. :eek:

The fosters are still in the bathroom. The kitty gang :love: is back to normal and handling stuff well. :love:

Emily had eaten macaroni from the garbage (not in my place). My cats won't eat garbage so she must have been hungry. I bought some holistic select canned to help with sour tummies. She chowed down on the canned food. Bob took a few minutes to investigate before eating.

I'll try to get back with pictures later. I can't let them out until they are vetted. :(

mrspunkysmom
06-25-2011, 11:52 PM
Here are two pix of them. I got one clear picture of Emily. The rest are blurred.

Emily
http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=320&pictureid=4234

Bob
http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=320&pictureid=4233

Karen
06-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Awww, welcome kitties. You've landed yourselves with a nice lady, take advantage of all the loving while you can!

krazyaboutkatz
06-26-2011, 02:45 AM
Thanks for being able to take them in.:) They're both adorable.:) I was watching "Cat's 101" tonight and they had the American Bobtail breed on and they said that they're very popular right now. They also said that they're so popular that there's a waiting list for them so I would think that Bob should be able to find a home very quickly.:) Emily doesn't look 13 to me and hopefully she's in good health and will also be able to find the purrfect loving home too. Good luck.:)

Medusa
06-26-2011, 06:55 AM
How nice of you to take them in. The Calico is my personal favorite and she's beautiful but I love orangies, too. Aw, what am I saying? I love 'em all! Calico girl may be 13 but she doesn't look it and I'm sure she has a lot of good years left. Good luck w/finding a home for the orangie. If he's as lovable as you say, it probably won't be a problem.

phesina
06-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Oh, they're both beautiful! Thank you and God bless you for taking them in.

Freedom
06-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Hooray! Thanks for changing the title, I came straight in to check the photos.

Emily is darling, such a lovely lady. Handsome Bob should place in no time!

Please deliver chin rubs from me!

mrspunkysmom
06-26-2011, 06:17 PM
And she can let you know when she is hungry. I set out a 3 oz can of food (there are two bowls of dry food, also) and she ate the whole thing herself. I had to put out a larger can of food split between the two of them.

Vet visit tomorrow afternoon. Pray they are healthy.

momcat
06-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Bob and Emily are beyond adorable!!!!! Thank you and bless you for caring enough to take them in, fill their tummies, and let them know what it is to be loved. Prayers are being prayed for a good check up with the vet. Please let us know how the check-ups go?

Groucho is sending you lots of purrs, headbumpies, and kitty kisses for helping his fellow kitties in need :love:

mrspunkysmom
06-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Oh, she's a feisty one. She wants out of the bathroom. I managed to keep her in while I cleaning the litter box, but it was tough. That bathroom is small. I'll try to get better pictures at the vet.

mrspunkysmom
06-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Back from the vets. Both are healthy. Emily's teeth are stained so her age fits. The vet will post Bob's pic on his FB page so that he can get adopted.

Emily is 7.2 lbs and Bob is 13.? lbs.

Jane also has a kitty club foot. The pads and toes are present but malformed. it's looks like the paw is shortened, but it never developed.

I didn't have him check to see if the tail was amputated or a real bob-tail.

I did get some pics while there but only a few are good. I'll post later.

phesina
06-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Fabulous news, Anne. Thank you!

Freedom
06-27-2011, 08:54 PM
back from the vets. Both are healthy.

hooray!!!!!

cassiesmom
06-27-2011, 09:22 PM
I am so glad they're healthy! Emily looks petite and Bob - well, I have a very soft spot for orangeys :love: I hope Bob will go to a wonderful forever home -- I bet he will! Fingers and paws crossed from Cassie and me, purrs and head bumpies for all 5 of the kitties!

Catty1
06-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Yaay! Good news. :):love:

catmandu
06-28-2011, 09:21 AM
God Bless you for taking that Owesome Orange Lady in :love::love:
I have Silver Tabby , who is now coming around for meals :cool::cool:
and Tubby Three :D:D who is also friendly.
I will take them in, and make them Found Hotel Cats.:love::love:
Bless you for helping that Orange Lady.:love::love:

katladyd
06-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Hooray! They are both healthy! Bless you for doing everything you have done for these two precious babies.:love:

mrspunkysmom
06-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Emily is out of the pen and walking around. She comes to the food table and she can really chow down.

Emily has claimed my bed as hers. Normally Sam is the bed hog and he is a little put out by this.

Bob is very shy and is not out of the pen yet. I'm not sure he is eating. I'm having to give a lot of extra attention to the main three to make sure they know I still love them, so it's hard working Bob in and give him all that he needs.

This is strange because he was the one I went to get and I took the other one too.

There has been some growling and hissing, but no fighting YET. I hope to keep it that way.

Off to cuddle Bob before my chiro appt.

MoonandBean
06-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Aww...thanks for taking them in. :love:

phesina
06-28-2011, 02:13 PM
God bless.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

mrspunkysmom
06-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Bob is now out of the pen and investigating. He is skittish. Emily swatted Spunky who was behaving so she earned a loud "NO". But she's old and has ruled the roost for a while and is not apt to give up her alpha role without a fight.

Emily is definitely an alpha female. This should be interesting. Sam thinks he should be alpha and spunky is an alpha that doesn't give a crap about it most of the time.

Jane is Jane.

mrspunkysmom
07-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Well the Kitty Krew is settling in and for the most part getting along. Some boundaries have been reset, but it's for the better.

Confession: I'm glad I kept the kitties. Y'all were right; it's a failed fostering. ;) Although not because no one would take the critters. I never posted flyers or advertised at all. :chagrin

Explanation: At the time, I didn't think my original krew would accept one let alone two new additions to the household. And finding time to play and focus on each kitty can be a problem.

Bob does not handle being caged well at all. I couldn't see him in a cage trying to get adopted. His world was already upset.

Update:
Spunky and Jane are just fabulous kitties and accepted the recruits with no problems. Sam is wonderful and is having some territorial issues, but we are working through it. At least he doesn't pick on anyone. With Sam it's mostly, "No, Emily, you may not take over this perch, too." Followed by hissing, growling, and spewing.

Emily and Bob are the ones that had to adjust. Emily is still hanging out in the kitchen and is eating dry food. Bob is learning to play and he and Jane are checking each other out. Jane is an excellent ambassador. Spunky, too, but he plays too much. :D

So thank you for reading about the crew and those that supported my original quest to find homes for them, understanding that we know our limit. I do believe that 5 is my limit. :eek:

And for those that knew that I might fail, hats off to you. :cool:

I do think that from now on, I'll stick to donating food to rescues. :D

Freedom
07-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Y'all were right; it's a failed fostering. ;) Although not because no one would take the critters. I never posted flyers or advertised at all.
. . . .
And for those that knew that I might fail, hats off to you. :cool:

I do think that from now on, I'll stick to donating food to rescues. :D

LOL :D I do think you need to stick w/ the food donations. You sound like me - once over the threshold, they stay!

So now you must work on regular photo updates! ;)

Taz_Zoee
07-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Hee hee. This is why I've never fostered. :D
We were going to foster before we got Jax, but then he came along and we didn't have to foster.

I must admit, I'm glad you were a foster failure. :) Emily and Bob are two very lucky kitties. And I'm glad they didn't upset the original krew.

mrspunkysmom
07-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Oh, it's not perfect, but it's improving. Bob and Jane just had a spat and I'm not sure who was growling. I thought at first it was Jane, but it must have been Bob. Jane was too calm. I think Jane was trying to play with him and he is still adjusting to this household.

But no, no major upsets. Just have to soothe egos a lot. :rolleyes:

:D:D

Hee hee. This is why I've never fostered. :D
We were going to foster before we got Jax, but then he came along and we didn't have to foster.

I must admit, I'm glad you were a foster failure. :) Emily and Bob are two very lucky kitties. And I'm glad they didn't upset the original krew.

krazyaboutkatz
07-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Well I'm also glad to hear that you failed at fostering.:) I know I would too so this is why I've never fostered. I'm glad to hear that they're getting along fairly well. My females are the ones that aren't very accepting to newbies and they will even fight with each other or their older male siblings too.:(

Have you tried using Feliway spray or plugins at all? Sometimes it'll work well and sometimes not. I've used it in the past but after a while my cats seemed to become immune to it. I look forward to hearing more about your krew of 5 and hopefully seeing many more pictures too. Good luck.:)

mrspunkysmom
07-17-2011, 12:18 AM
Feliway? It's no where near that point yet. :whew:

The krew members are setting their individual boundaries again and it will take a while. It does require a lot of diplomatic loving :love: :love: on my part. :D

katladyd
07-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Yeah, I took in Kimba with the intent to find him a home. He's still here, even though my other two are not real fond of him all the time. They will adjust, they always do. I am glad your three are very accepting of the "new guys". :D

mrspunkysmom
07-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

So how many cats does it take to make a Cray Cat Lady? :eek: :D

katladyd
07-17-2011, 04:07 PM
When your friends say, "You're taking in ANOTHER CAT?" Yep, that's it.

krazyaboutkatz
07-17-2011, 04:14 PM
So how many cats does it take to make a Cray Cat Lady? :eek: :D

I'm not sure but my family already considers me to be a "Crazy Cat Lady" and this was probably when I only had 2-3 cats at the time.:) Even people at work know that I love cats too. I'd rather be accused of this than being an animal hoarder or something worse.

katladyd
07-17-2011, 07:14 PM
It's a title I wear with pride! A person can do worse than being a crazy cat person. I love cats, all cats, and I don't care who knows it!:love::D

mrspunkysmom
07-17-2011, 07:20 PM
I agree! :D

carole
07-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Yes even I have had the honour to be called a crazy cat lady on my facebook, and i answered with AND I AM PROUD OF IT,of course i have all of you here on PT to blame for it, he he.

I hope you find homes for the kitties soon, good luck with that,and i know how hard it can be when your household is already full and you are at your max, to say NO to keeping them,i wish you every success and bless your heart for taking them in.:):love:

GILL
07-20-2011, 08:36 AM
It's so wonderful when you FAIL at a foster.
I completely agree and I wear the title "CRAZY CAT GUY" proudly. My wife knows I'm crazy. When we met she had 1 cat Missy and I told her I prefer dogs and don’t like cats. Well I had one little (bottle baby) that changed things. I think Patches would be very proud of me.
There are 23 in house right now. 3 that are ours (what the town allows)
There are no limits on fosters. Some are "permanent" fosters.
My CREW, FOSTERS, and TRANSPORTS can be seen at www.jsgill.net

catmandu
07-20-2011, 09:27 AM
I would rather be a Crazy Cat Man :love: with love in my heart for Cats :love:
than some of these people who go around , thinking only of thenmselves and the things that they own.
There are millions of gadgets, but eash Cat is unique and will return the love that you give them so many times over.:love::love:
God Bless those who help the Helpless!!!:love::love:

Lizzie
07-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Best Friends is working to change the way crazy cat ladies are viewed:

http://network.bestfriends.org/17401/news.aspx

My boss sneers at me and finds me pathetic but I can't wait to get back to my troupe after a day at work and feel that living with/working with my geriatric and hospice and disabled cats makes my life truly worth while.

Glad you gave those two a home, very glad.

mrspunkysmom
07-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Well, we have a thing going here, so it looks like I'm keeping them. I thought three was the limit, but I can manage five. Expense-wise, more than 5 would be difficult.

And Sam had become grumpy, so adding any more would not be wise.

Thank y'all for your support.

I'm debating a clan name for them. I'm using Kitty Krew, but what about Kitty Kwintet?

carole
07-20-2011, 03:46 PM
oh how wonderful that you are keeping them, i am so happy about that, yes well i started out with one then two , then four, now down to three, however i won't take on any more as i just cannot afford it and it would be selfish of me to do so.

i like kitty kwintet, sounds cute, good luck with your new kitties ,my two rescues turned out to be the best cats i have ever owned.

You know about the crazy cat thing, some people are crazy about sport,and other things, so it is no different, except cats actually return your love, cannot get that from a game of footy, still each to their own i think, everyone should respect that,don't ya think.

GILL i love reading your story, i was astounded that you originally were not such a cat loving person, more a dog person,and look at you now, amazing how those little furballs can open your heart isn't it.:D