PDA

View Full Version : I am very sad...

Cataholic
11-05-2002, 03:31 PM
Well, the visit to the vets was not in our favor. Arizona was both pregnant and tested positive for feline luekemia. I made the decision to have her put to sleep. I did not make this decision lightly, and it was very very difficult. However, I have a multi cat household that cannot be exposed to this dreadful disease, and I couldn't justify bringing a litter of kittens, that more likely than not would carry the disease, into this world. I have some fears that several of my cats might have been exposed, and will see to having them tested next month.

I stayed with her until the end, and expressed my sorrow at the decision, and told her I loved her. I hope that made a difference.

:(

Cinder & Smoke
11-05-2002, 03:40 PM
So sorry you had to make that tough decision... :(

But I admire your courage.

We'll all pray for Arizona - that she enjoys her new life at the Bridge.

And prayers for the other PurKids ~
that they did not pick up the disease.

{{Huggs}}} to you, Cat.

/s/ Phred

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-05-2002, 03:41 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about poor Arizona. :( I'm sure you agonized over the decision and did what you thought best for her sake, not just your own. I have no idea what I would have done in that situation.

She sounded like a lovely cat who was just unfortunate enough to have the wrong person take her in - that "other" woman, not you. I'm sure she knew you loved her, which, I'm sure, is more than she got from the other woman and her two kids.

I sure hope none of your tribe caught it.

Poor Arizona & Kittens, RIP. :(

catland
11-05-2002, 03:42 PM
Oh Cataholic, I'm so very sorry.

You made the best decision that you could under very difficult circumstances.

:(

Barbara
11-05-2002, 03:43 PM
Oh Johanna, what a horrible decision you had to take. I don't know what to say. How good it was that you have been careful with her -I hope your cats will be ok.
But still: this poor kitty at least had someone who cared at the end......We share your feelings.....

NoahsMommy
11-05-2002, 03:44 PM
What a terrible decision you had to be faced with. :( I'm so sorry Cataholic. You did the right thing, she wouldn't have been healthy or happy for very long.

Thank you for being such a kind soul.

jenluckenbach
11-05-2002, 03:46 PM
:( :( :( :( :( Oh Johanna, I am so sorry.:( :( :( :( :(

You are a good person for trying to do the right thing. It is so hard to know what is really right at a time like that, but if it is any comfort at all, that would have been the decision I would also have made (and for the same reasons). She had someone who cared for her and she knew your kindness, and I KNOW that it is YOU that she will be waiting for at the RB.

Edwina's Secretary
11-05-2002, 03:49 PM
I am so sorry. You are brave and my heroine for making such a tough, tough decision in such a very compassion manner.

My thoughts are with you....

Miss Meow
11-05-2002, 03:50 PM
I'm so sorry Johanna. What a dreadful decision to have to make. I believe she came back to you for a reason, and this was it, sad as it is. If Arizona had stayed with the other woman, she wouldn't have been diagnosed and many sick kittens would have come into the world and faced short and sad lives. I'm so sorry.

boscibo
11-05-2002, 04:25 PM
How hard for you. I feel so bad for you. I agree with Miss Meow - she came back to you for a reason. Rest In Peace, little Arizona and kittens, :(

Sam's My Baby
11-05-2002, 04:34 PM
Oh I am so sorry to hear about this, :(:( but I admire you for being so brave and doing the right thing. My thoughts are with you.

Randi
11-05-2002, 04:34 PM
I'm so sorry you had to let her go, but I'm sure it was the best decision. You were there for her until the end. Thanks Johanna! :)

She will be playing happily at the RB now ;)

AmberLee
11-05-2002, 04:55 PM
Oh, {{{Johanna}}},

What a shock and disappointment. I'm sure Arizona and her kittens went without suffering, which couldn't have happened without your bravery.

Frolick well at the Rainbow Bridge, sweeties.

:( :( :(

Lillycat
11-05-2002, 04:55 PM
that was the reason she made her way back to you, you made it easier on her in the long run, by taking the pain onto yourself and being there w/her until her little paws took her to a better place than she could have had here. we all are praying for her, i am sure.

rosethecopycat
11-05-2002, 04:56 PM
Very compassionate decision. I am glad your tuxes are safe. Not a very fair deal in this life. She will join your brood in the next round up.

Bless you for caring for her.

toughCookie
11-05-2002, 07:15 PM
Im so sorry about your sad news...I also took cats(cassie and callie) to the vets today, and had them tested for feline leukemia. it was negative thank God. but I am very sad for your cat, and for you, I know that had to be a very hard choice, but, with other cats to consider, you made the right decision, as sad as it was. I know you must be so sad tonight, so upset. its very hard to do something like that. but she knows you loved her, you cared for her the best you could. she knows that, and is happy in rainbow bridge. try not to feel bad, though I know you do.
all you can do is your best, and you have done that.

moosmom
11-05-2002, 07:33 PM
Cataholic,

I'm so sorry you had to go through what you did. But know that you made the right decision. And the fact that you were with her right up to the end I'm sure made it easier for mama. I admire your courage to do what was in her best interest. I will say a prayer that your little tuxes are okay. I always believed that things happen for a reason, even though we may never know what the reason is. You are a wonderful, caring person. It is an honor to call you my friend.

(((hugs)))

Vermontcat
11-05-2002, 08:11 PM
I am so sorry to hear that Cataholic.:( It seems like that unfit former owner just wanted you to do her dirty work for her.:mad:
I hope all of your other cats are well and haven't been exposed. Give them all extra kitty hugs from me and Samantha.

Nomilynn
11-05-2002, 08:19 PM
I"m so sorry you had to make such a hard decision, but it was for the best. Thank you for not letting her suffer, and I'll keep you in my prayers. :(

((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))

Logan
11-05-2002, 08:38 PM
Johanna, you are a very special person. You made a tough, tough decision for the good of your other cats. Please know that you did the right thing, as much as it hurts right now.

Logan :(

Uabassoon
11-05-2002, 09:46 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Arizona. Now her and her kittens can play in the rainbow bridge and be happy and healthy.

kohala
11-05-2002, 10:07 PM
Really, Johanna, my heart goes out to you as my hat goes off to you in salutations for having the strength and love to save her from oncoming suffering. May your other Tuxies cuddle together with you tonight and help you with your healing.

Much Much love from Grasshopper and me
Ko

krazyaboutkatz
11-06-2002, 12:20 AM
Johanna, I'm so sorry to hear about Arizona.:( This was a very difficult decision but you made the right choice. I sure hope that your Tux herd hasn't been exposed to the disease. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Rest in peace sweet Arizona and kittens. {{{{HUGS}}}}

Chinadoll
11-06-2002, 01:53 AM
I'm so sorry. As difficult as that was, I would have done the same thing. Positive thoughts going out for your other babies to be ok. ((((HUGS))))

Efrat
11-06-2002, 03:14 AM
you have made the right decision, don't know if I could do the same ....

lynnestankard
11-06-2002, 07:18 AM
{{{{HUGS}}}} across the miles. You were so brave and made the right decision - she's at peace at R.B. Thank you for staying with her - she went with your love.

Lynne

trinity
11-06-2002, 07:29 AM
we also had to make that decision a few years ago. Friends of ours had a VW garage on a main road and right near the river and there was a beautiful, friendly cat hanging around. We decided to take him in but of course first came the trip to the vet just to make sure. They did the test and told me they had never seen such a fast positive reaction, so I also made the decision to put him down. Cried all the way home of course...its not an easy one to make but at the same time is it better to let them suffer? A woman I worked with at the time, who claimed to be a cat person, asked why I didn't just take him back and release him back into the wild. You can take comfort in the fact that the whole brood will be happy and healthy at the Bridge.

Sending lots of hugs!

smokey the elder
11-06-2002, 08:08 AM
I'm very sorry to hear about Arizona. You did your best for her, and she had some good loving at the end, more than she would have had at the "human's" you rescued her from. Smokey the Elder will show her and her kittens all the good sunny spots at the Bridge.

catmandu
11-06-2002, 09:29 AM
What a gut wrenching decision to have to make! And all because idiots take cats in and then abandon them to thier fate , and make othger people make such horrible choices . I just hope the when these people get to be too much trouble thier children will abandon them , the way thgey abandoned poor little Arizona The Angel. At the lost cats hotel I have had to have two pregnant cats picked up in the last year ,the last a pretty Calico , who had a swollen face from being shot inthe face with a pellet gun, I couldnt take her in as my cats dont have FIP as that time , and the Vet told me to be very careful with strays there ia a bit of rabies going around. I am sure that Arizona and her kittens are now in Cat Heaven , being tended to and cared for. God Bless you Cataholic For Caring.

11-06-2002, 09:34 AM
OMG , what a tough decision ... ! You most certainly are a perfect cat-mom , Johanna ... You did the very right thing ! Now Arizona is happy at the Rainbow Bridge , no pain at all ; she can play with her new kitties and nurse them as much as she wants . From there , she can see you , taking care of your other pets ! She must be very gratefull to you !
I admire your courage ...!:)

Cataholic
11-06-2002, 11:01 AM
Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. It truly helps to know I am not alone. I don't even know what to say, I am just so full of sorrow. Time will help, that I know, and friends like you all make a difference.

Thanks, hugs and love,
Johanna

toughCookie
11-06-2002, 05:03 PM
you're right , time will make it easier, but in the meantime just give your cats lots of hugs, they can help you. that first week after Cookie died, I hugged Muffin SO much.

popcornbird
11-07-2002, 01:32 AM
:(:(:( Poor thing. :(:(:( At least Arizona is in a better place now, where she can run and play, free of disease and the troubles of life. What heartbreaking news. :(