PDA

View Full Version : Glen Campbell has Alzheimer's, plans for final album and farewell tour

Catty1
06-22-2011, 09:35 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/06/glen-campbell-alzheimers-ghost-canvas.html

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef01538f5c91cb970b-640wi

Excerpt:

Glen Campbell has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, the 75-year-old country singer, songwriter and guitarist and his wife, Kim, have told People magazine, a condition that has prompted him to describe a new album coming in August as his final recording.

"Glen is still an awesome guitar player and singer," Kim said in the interview. "But if he flubs a lyric or gets confused onstage, I wouldn’t want people to think, 'What's the matter with him? Is he drunk?' "

Campbell is planning a series of concerts this fall in support of the album, “Ghost on the Canvas,” due Aug. 30.

Medusa
06-22-2011, 09:45 PM
If this is a recent photo, he sure looks good at 75.

When I was in hospital after giving birth, I still hadn't named my son. My husband and I just couldn't agree on names. Glenn Campbell's show was on the TV in my room and the nurse came in and said "Hon, you have GOT to name this baby!" I saw Glenn Campbell and wrote down "Glenn Anthony". I figured if his middle name was the same as my husband's brother, my husband wouldn't be too upset. I was wrong but oh well. ;)

I'm really sorry to read this, though. Alzheimers is such a cruel disease. I do hope that he and his wife and family find peace.

K9karen
06-22-2011, 09:51 PM
That's too bad and very sad. What a wretched ailment. Enjoy making your new album Glen!

Freedom
06-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Wonderful performer.

Coping w/ dementia w/ my Dad, I can truly say, I am sorry for your diagnosis, Glen. (Dad doesn't have the Alzheimer's type). Best wishes with the album and the tour.

Pinot's Mom
06-23-2011, 07:30 AM
I heard it on the way to work this morning; quite sad. He is a wonderful performer and I'm sure he and his wife will handle this with the grace he is known for. Best of luck, Glen.

lizbud
06-23-2011, 08:11 AM
He gave a concert here in Indy last week and it was panned by the local critics.They said he forgot lines to his songs,was offkey & generally acted strange and confused onstage.They were less then kind in their writeups.:(:( If only they had know of his illness then they might have been kinder.

pomtzu
06-23-2011, 08:19 AM
That's sad - I love that guy. I have all of his old albums from the 60's, and always watched his t.v. show.

Peace to you, Glen.

boomersooner
06-23-2011, 08:02 PM
I used to watch his show when I was a kid....Alzheimer's is a horrible, horrible disease.....my father in law died from it, and what a slow death it was....God be with him and his caretakers...

cassiesmom
06-24-2011, 12:59 AM
That is sad news. I hope he is able to continue working and enjoying life. Hopefully his music will help him and his family through this. I didn't realize he's 75 already. That doesn't seem possible.

Have you seen Brian Wilson recently (past about 5 years or so), I am not sure if he's had a stroke or some sort of brain injury or what. He was a Kennedy Center honoree a couple of years ago. When he stood to acknowledge the performers and the audience, he looked like he was leaning to one side. I noticed his wife frequently murmuring to him, too. I know he has used a prompter on stage - one of those clear screens like the President has - I'm not sure if it has music, lyrics or both. But how sad to have written such iconic songs and then to have trouble remembering them.

lvpets2002
06-24-2011, 12:36 PM
:) Yes I heard that on the news.. Truthfully I thought he had already retired.. Keep on trucking Mr. Glen..

todd
06-24-2011, 08:00 PM
wow so sad

K9karen
06-24-2011, 11:21 PM
I think drugs did Brian Wilson in. I hate even watching him now. Sad and chilling

Bonny
06-25-2011, 06:34 AM
We saw & heard Glen Campbell in Branson Missouri years ago & what a great entertainer he is. :cool:

Laura's Babies
06-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Have always enjoyed listening to him and I hate hearing this about him. Just several week ago a local TV announcer/newsman made the announcement that he has Alzheimer's and it retiring to spend the time he has with his family. He is in his early to mid 50's... My best friend lost her husband to this and it is a dreadful disease and hard on everyone.

I think Glenn should release his album and spend the rest of his time relaxing with his family...