PDA

View Full Version : If there was one thing you could banish from your life, what would it be?

Kirsten
06-21-2011, 12:38 PM
For me, it would be nausea. I'm dealing with many health problems, but nausea is the worst for me. I hate it so much, and it keeps me from doing the things I'd like to do. The worst is, it has cut down my social life for years as I cannot stand other people around me when I'm feeling sick. And I'm feeling like this almost all the time! I think without this dreadful nausea, I would finally have a chance to get my life back.

What about you? If you could eliminate one thing for good, what would it be?

pomtzu
06-21-2011, 01:05 PM
That's a tough one Kirsten, and as a sufferer of IBS, I probably should say that. However, I think it would be my brittle bones, as I am always in fear of yet another fracture as I have had several already - that in addition to my crumbling spine! I have been undergoing Boniva infusion every 3 months for the past 2 years to strengthen my bones, but it doesn't appear to be helping. I just had another bone density scan yesterday, and my doc called me this morning with the results - it has gotten worse and not better. I have an appointment with him in a couple of weeks, and he will discuss changing to a different med for the infusion. :(
Someone suggested wrapping me in bubble wrap for protection! :p:D Another "dear friend" - yes, you know who you are - said that when I die my family could sell me for scrap metal with all the rods and plates and screws that I have in my body! :eek::p:D

Kirsten
06-21-2011, 01:15 PM
That's a tough one Kirsten, and as a sufferer of IBS, I probably should say that. However, I think it would be my brittle bones, as I am always in fear of yet another fracture as I have had several already - that in addition to my crumbling spine! I have been undergoing Boniva infusion every 3 months for the past 2 years to strengthen my bones, but it doesn't appear to be helping. I just had another bone density scan yesterday, and my doc called me this morning with the results - it has gotten worse and not better. I have an appointment with him in a couple of weeks, and he will discuss changing to a different med for the infusion. :(

I'm sorry to hear that your bone density is getting worse! :( I understand that you would want this to go away. My spine is also causing many problems, and I can take no meds because that makes the nausea even worse. My bowels are sooo messed up! At least I got my disability pension now.

Someone suggested wrapping me in bubble wrap for protection! :p:D Another "dear friend" - yes, you know who you are - said that when I die my family could sell me for scrap metal with all the rods and plates and screws that I have in my body! :eek::p:D

Wow!! Yes, I know what kind of advice you'll get from "good friends". Like today, when I was told to do all the things I like, regardless of the nausea and the other health problems. I can tell people a hundred times that this is something I've tried for many years, and that it made things even worse because it burned me out, and led to even more frustration because you realize you cannot make it, and on the top of it, you're getting on other peoples' nerves when you cannot keep up with them. My doctor told me now the best way would probably be to accept my limits, and make the most of what is left. But that's probably hard to understand for some people!! :mad:

Karen
06-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Hmmm, my allergies would be good to ban! But then I probably would get sick as often as normal people do, so that's a tough one. Kirsten, do none of the anti-nausea meds work for you? I was given one for the times I have an allergic reaction that involves vomiting for 12-16 hours, and it really worked, which was such a relief!

pomtzu
06-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Wow!! Yes, I know what kind of advice you'll get from "good friends". Like today, when I was told to do all the things I like, regardless of the nausea and the other health problems.

Oh yeah - it's just so much fun to be out and about, when all you want to do is barf!!!
When the nausea hits me, I just want to be left alone - period! I have a prescription med to take for it - sometimes it helps and other times not. I think my system has built up an immunity to it. The only thing that helps me any when the meds don't work, is to just lay down and try not to move until it eases up.
Have you asked your doc about a prescription med that you could take that might help? I take Phenergan (promethazine) and I imagine you have the same available where you are, but maybe under a different name. Wouldn't hurt to ask about it. I can't believe your doc suggested that you just accept your limits, etc. I would have to get a 2nd opinion there, and a 3rd and 4th and so on, if necessary! :mad:

Kirsten
06-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Kirsten, do none of the anti-nausea meds work for you? I was given one for the times I have an allergic reaction that involves vomiting for 12-16 hours, and it really worked, which was such a relief!

Sometimes they help, but they make me very tired and my depression gets worse. BTW, I'm not vomiting, it's just the nausea, and bowel problems in general. I was diagnosed with lactose intolerance a while ago, but I think there are more food allergies than that one. And ever since I made that test (4 weeks ago), my bowels seem to be even more messed up. :(

Kirsten
06-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Oh yeah - it's just so much fun to be out and about, when all you want to do is barf!!!
When the nausea hits me, I just want to be left alone - period! I have a prescription med to take for it - sometimes it helps and other times not. I think my system has built up an immunity to it. The only thing that helps me any when the meds don't work, is to just lay down and try not to move until it eases up.

Exactly, it's the same here. I cannot have anyone around when I'm nauseous, I cannot talk, and I cannot move. Like you said, just lay down and wait till it's over. I'm an emetophobic, so I fear vomiting a lot, and I fear even more that someone would see it happen.

Have you asked your doc about a prescription med that you could take that might help? I take Phenergan (promethazine) and I imagine you have the same available where you are, but maybe under a different name. Wouldn't hurt to ask about it. I can't believe your doc suggested that you just accept your limits, etc. I would have to get a 2nd opinion there, and a 3rd and 4th and so on, if necessary!

Like I just mentioned above, there are meds, but they make me tired and depressive. And sometimes they won't help at all. Since I'm dealing with so many different diseases, there are also different kinds of nausea, if that's making any sense.

pomtzu
06-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Like I just mentioned above, there are meds, but they make me tired and depressive. And sometimes they won't help at all. Since I'm dealing with so many different diseases, there are also different kinds of nausea, if that's making any sense.

Yes - I know what you mean. If you are lactose intolerant, about the only thing you can do there, is to void the dairy products. You could also try lactose enzyme tablets before eating any dairy and see if that helps. Some people swear by them, but they don't help me much, and I never remember to take them anyway, so I end up with the nausea, cramps and bloating and everything else that accompanies it. Ice cream is the absolute worst for me - and I love that stuff!

Kirsten
06-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Yes - I know what you mean. If you are lactose intolerant, about the only thing you can do there, is to void the dairy products. You could also try lactose enzyme tablets before eating any dairy and see if that helps. Some people swear by them, but they don't help me much, and I never remember to take them anyway, so I end up with the nausea, cramps and bloating and everything else that accompanies it. Ice cream is the absolute worst for me - and I love that stuff!

I tried these enzyme tablets, but I felt even more nauseous after that. But it's hard to tell because I'm feeling ill anyway since I made that test, so will try them again after a while. Right now, eating dairy products or eating no dairy products doesn't make a difference, I'm always feeling sick. Besides, I don't know what's left for me to eat. No dairy products, no fruit (never tolerated them, I'd bet I'm fructose intolerant also), I'm allergic to soy products and to nuts, I'm not allowed to eat flatulent vegetables or wholemeal products due to the diverticulosis, and I don't eat meat (for ethical reasons). There's basically nothing left I could eat. Yesterday, I ate cooked turnip cabbage, and after that, my belly was blown up as if I was 9 months pregnant. Not to mention the pain, my bowels still feel sore after that... :(

Queen of Poop
06-21-2011, 03:57 PM
I'd banish my IBS.

As has already been mentioned the issues associated with bowel problems are not a boatload of fun!

I cannot eat any meat, veggies, fruit, dairy or wheat products. I weigh under 100 lbs now. I so miss eating "real food".

Kirsten
06-21-2011, 04:04 PM
I'd banish my IBS.

As has already been mentioned the issues associated with bowel problems are not a boatload of fun!

I cannot eat any meat, veggies, fruit, dairy or wheat products. I weigh under 100 lbs now. I so miss eating "real food".

I can relate to that, 100%!!!!

Karen
06-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Queen of Poop, what do you eat? Rice?

(And people think MY diet is limited!)

Kirsten, that being mentioned, have you tried limiting what you eat, to see if more of your issues are food related? After I have a reaction to something, I don;t eat for a couple days, really just cannot even contemplate it - but then I start back in eating one thing I *think* is safe, like plain rice, then waiting and making sure I have no reaction to that, then adding in cheese (I have no lactose issues, thankfully) and slowly adding back on.

I have been tested in the past for food allergies, and that was pretty helpful at the time to establish a baseline, but my doctor - who is wonderfully patient and knowledgable - told me that not all food allergies - especially ones that cause gastrointestinal issues - will always show up on even the blood tests that they send away, so to literally pay attention to my own body.

I have bad reactions to some things they cannot even test for, but I know for certain that's what the issue is, so I avoid them carefully.

Sometimes I do get bored with what I can eat, but if I am at tempted, I just remind myself of the consequences, and stay safe.

rg_girlca
06-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Sorry this is off topic Kirsten, but have you ever been tested to see if you are allergic to Gluten? Apparantly they are seeing it more and more in young ladies these past few years. The name of it is called "Celiac Disease." It's a deficiency disease caused by faulty absorption of food in the intestines and characterized by diarrhea and malnutrition. In fact my daughter-in-law was diagnosed with it a few months ago. The reason I ask is because your symptoms are so similar to what hers are. The nausea, lactose intolerant, stomach pains and losing weight. She has to be on a Gluten free diet. There is a lot about it now on the computer if you care to look it up. I've also spoke with a woman whose daughter is allergic to Gluten and she said it took them almost 4 years before they got a proper diagnosis. It was only from her mother doing research on the computer and going to the doctor with her findings that her daughter got tested for it. I believe it's a special blood test that has to be done. Now the daughter is doing well. It took about 4-6 months before everything got under control. Her iron levels are back to normal and she is no longer lactose intolerant. There are many sites where you can get some really good recipes.

Now, the one thing that I would banish from my life is my bladder problem.

Asiel
06-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Probably all my allergies and the incessant pain. Then I would like to take a wastebasket and dump every single med that I'm on and hear a doctor tell me I no longer need them. Dream along....

Scooter's Mom
06-21-2011, 07:38 PM
I'd get rid of my migraines.
It's just not any fun clutching my head all the time, living with my sunglasses on (even at work where they already think I'm a little eccentric b/c of all the days I miss b/c of the migraines), keeping noise down, ice packs, the nausea & throwing up, smells being a trigger, etc.

I wish my life could return to "normal".

Nomilynn
06-21-2011, 11:07 PM
I'd banish my diabetes!

Scooter's Mom
06-21-2011, 11:35 PM
I'd banish my diabetes!

I thought about that too... but I'm controlling mine. My migraines are not controllable...

Diabetes sucks!

momcat
06-22-2011, 07:44 AM
It's between diabetes and the arthritis in both of my hands. The diabetes is pretty much under control between the insulin shots and blood tests. The problem with my hands is really starting to act up, grip strength is weakening, I keep dropping things, and at times it just hurts like.....

davidpizzica
06-22-2011, 08:04 AM
I'd banish my diabetes!

Amen to that, Nomilynn!! I'd like MINE to be GONE, too!

Twisterdog
06-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Assuming we are only speaking of physical ailments here, I'd banish my lifelong problem with overeating. I would LOVE to just think of and react to food like a "normal" person, for once ... eat only when I'm hungry, only enough to make me not hungry, and decently healthy choices. I would LOVE to be rid of the addiction to carbs, sugars and fats that has consumed my life since I was old enough to feed myself.

pomtzu
06-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Kirsten.......
rg girlca made a very good point, and I really should have thought about it too, since my ex has celiac - also known as sprue. He was diagnosed as a child and never outgrew it, tho a lot children do. There are so many gluten-free foods now, that it is much easier to prepare meals than when we were together, and I was trying to feed him. It was quite a challenge, since he couldn't have anything with wheat, rye, oats, barley, or buckwheat, or any by-products of those. I had to read labels on everything! He couldn't even have so much as a beer, and of course most other liquors too since they are made from grain. The times he decided to go off the diet, he paid dearly, and ended up in the hospital on more than one occasion!
Has your doctor ruled celiac out?

cassiesmom
06-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Clutter! and stuff I have kept far too long.
Half my weight.
My tendency to over-analyze everything and miss opportunities.
My great ability to underestimate the amount of time it takes to get from point A to point B and always arrive late.

Alysser
06-22-2011, 02:09 PM
-My self-consciousness about weight, I'd love to be able to pass a mirror without looking at myself from a side view. Despite the fact that I've lost weight, I'll probably always do this. Always.
-Double Shifts at work!
-Traffic :p

Kirsten
06-22-2011, 03:51 PM
I think it's interesting that most of us would love to get rid of health problems or at least health-related things. And yet it's only logical because it's such an essential thing. I was also wondering if I wouldn't rather ban poverty, or loneliness from my life, but then again, I could probably easily change these circumstances if I was healthier. In other words, I wouldn't be poor and lonely if I wasn't ill.

Karen, rg_girlca and pomtzu: I was tested for celiac disease/sprue a while ago and the test was negative, so I assume there's no gluten intolerance. Of course this could have changed over the last years, but I hope not. The gluten-free products over here are only available in health food shops and they are expensive, and I'm really poor now, I could never affort to buy those.

I've tried to find out which kinds of food I don't tolerate, but it's difficult - and confusing. There are days I can eat almost everything without any problems (even dairy products), but on other days, the same things are causing severe troubles. It's really frustrating. I assume (and my doctor thinks the same) that my autoimmune disease has messed up my system so badly that it became unpredictable.

pomtzu
06-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Well Kirsten - as my doctors tell me - I'm their "problem child".

I'm sorry, but I've run out of ideas. I certainly do hope you can get to feeling better tho. Like I'm always saying - "I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired"... :mad:

Queen of Poop
06-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Kirsten, I too have tested negative for celiac disease. But I do have gluten intolerance. I feel a whole lot better if I avoid anything with gluten in it. Try going gluten free for a while (at least 3 days) and see if you feel better.

Karen
06-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Kirsten, you need not spend a lot to "go gluten free" - as long as you don't NEED to eat bread. Rice, rice noodles, potatoes - all are good, filling starches that have no gluten.

Kirsten
06-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Kirsten, you need not spend a lot to "go gluten free" - as long as you don't NEED to eat bread. Rice, rice noodles, potatoes - all are good, filling starches that have no gluten.

Noodles are "good"? I hope so, because I cannot imagine a life without pasta!

Like I'm always saying - "I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired"...

Exactly!!

Kirsten, I too have tested negative for celiac disease. But I do have gluten intolerance. I feel a whole lot better if I avoid anything with gluten in it. Try going gluten free for a while (at least 3 days) and see if you feel better.

Well, yes, maybe it's worth a try. But I won't do any more tests in the near future as my intestines still haven't recovered from the last one, four weeks ago... :(

pomtzu
06-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Noodles are "good"? I hope so, because I cannot imagine a life without pasta!
(

NO!!! Not pasta made with wheat - that's BAD. :eek: Karen said rice noodles. They do make gluten free pasta now tho.
When I was figuring out things to cook for my ex, I used to make him spaghetti squash when the rest of the family had regular spaghetti. It had the look of spaghetti, and was really quite tasty when served with spaghetti sauce and meatballs. :)

Karen
06-22-2011, 06:29 PM
As Pomtzu said, just look for rice noodles, they come in every shape normal noodles do - skinny, fat, flat, round, etc. If they don't have them in the "pasta" section, see if you have an "asian" section in your store.

K9karen
06-22-2011, 10:55 PM
When I was figuring out things to cook for my ex, I used to make him spaghetti squash when the rest of the family had regular spaghetti. It had the look of spaghetti, and was really quite tasty when served with spaghetti sauce and meatballs. :)

I saw a recipe for spaghetti squash and it looked yummy with the sauce and meatballs. Thankfully I tested negative for gluten intolerance but that won't stop me from making it! My dear departed aunt suffered for years until she was diagnosed with gluten intolerance. Her food was expensive but because she was always rail thin regardless of what and how much she ate, the diet helped her immensely and the doc encouraged her to eat.

I've known about some of your illnesses and the pain you're all in saddens me terribly. In a way, not only is this a pet website, it's made me feel closer to you all to know that I don't suffer alone. That didn't come out right, but you know what I mean. We feel for each other.

I'd banish:
My collapsing spine (more surgery probably in Sept)
Bad hips (putting off replacements)
Sightlessness in right eye
Ulcers
Procrastination
My brother's Asbergers Syndrome
Bills!

Husky_mom
06-22-2011, 11:41 PM
I guess you all know the answer to that one.. and that would be my only..

some other things we all might have wished were different I consider part of experience.. good or bad.. but experience..

in regards of health issues.. I consider myself lucky.. I´ve never been tend of sickness or illness.. thank God..

but I hope all of you who have whatever illness that causes you discomfort or trouble get better or completely banished from your lives ;)

pomtzu
06-23-2011, 07:06 AM
I saw a recipe for spaghetti squash and it looked yummy with the sauce and meatballs.

Italian type cuisine was always big in this house (I'm half), so when it came to lasagna, I had to make it differently for my ex. I made eggplant or zucchini lasagna, just substituting the veggie for the noodles. It got to the point where I would just make it this way for the whole family since everyone liked it.

Spanish rice is also filling and yummy - totally allowable on a gluten free diet.

krazyaboutkatz
06-23-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm very thankful that I'm still healthy.:) I would like to banish:
stress
aches & pains- I know they're work related.
debt-I'm still trying to pay off 2 credit cards.
work- I wish I didn't have to work or I at least wish that I worked in a field that I enjoyed.

lizbud
06-23-2011, 12:20 PM
I would love to banish all money worries. My Vet is gonna own my soul
at the rate I'm going.:rolleyes::)

cassiesmom
06-24-2011, 12:50 AM
Clutter! and stuff I have kept far too long.
Half my weight.
My tendency to over-analyze everything and miss opportunities.
My great ability to underestimate the amount of time it takes to get from point A to point B and always arrive late.

Work!
Bad hair days.
Junk mail
Coffee that's been in the pot too long.

davidpizzica
06-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Two more illnesses I'd like to banish from my life: My atrial fibrillation and my essential tremors. The a-fib is an irregular heartbeat and the essential tremors is (I think) an offshoot of Parkinson's. I'd like to get rid of them BOTH!

kokopup
06-24-2011, 08:50 AM
The Combination of Chemo/Radiation treatment for throat cancer have left me with a myriad of side effects. The one that I would banish if it was possible, would be the inability to swallow. Because of this one, It creates a whole new group of problems. I have to recieve all food (Nutren) and water by way of a feeding tube. Without the ability to swallow the speech processes of phonation, resonation, articulation are all lost so I isolate myself avoiding the strange looks when I am unable, most of te time, to be understood. Without the ability to swallow the normal mucus that is produced in the mouth/sinuses all accumulates in the back of my mouth, which adds to the speech problems. Without normal swallowing you end up with a retro effect so every thing going into the stomach refluxes to the mouth. This sets up a constant cycle of having to clear my throat/mouth, which can only be accomplished by rinsing. Swallowing thats the ONE.