PDA

View Full Version : Bathing cats - suggestions needed!

Pembroke_Corgi
06-20-2011, 10:14 PM
My husband found out he's now more allergic to cats (before it was only a slight allergy) and is also allergic to dogs, too (this is a completely new allergy). So his allergist told him we should probably bathe all the animals - all 3 cats and 3 dogs- every single week.

Bathing the dogs is easy enough, but the cats are a bit trickier. Eric has done the bathing so far (twice now). He has worn a sweater and gloves so he doesn't get scratched up. The cats do not like it, but they don't go totally crazy, either. Basically, he tries to bathe them as quickly as possible in the bathtub. However, if this is really going to be a weekly thing, any suggestions on how to make it easier?

Luckily, our cats are pretty easy going and forgiving. They don't even give Eric the cold shoulder after bath time. :)

mrspunkysmom
06-20-2011, 11:08 PM
I was going to suggest Hazmat suits and prayers. Neither of my males are forgiving and I haven't attempted Jane. Mine go to the groomer once or twice a year.

Good Luck with the bathing and the allergies. Have you looked at the ingredients in your foods? I find certain foods aggravate my allergies.

Taz_Zoee
06-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Maybe after they get use to the routine they will not be a problem. My friends who lived next door bathed their kitties regularly and I don't think he had a problem with them.
All I can say is GOOD LUCK!! :D I'm sorry about hubby's allergies. Bruce's brothers are allergic too. And one lived with 3 cats for about 20 years. They now have a nice indoor/outdoor (protected) house of their own in the backyard.

Catty1
06-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Call a couple of pet stores - there is a product that is like wet wipes (I think) and it really keeps the dander down on cats. A friend of mine had her daughter and cat staying with her for a while, and my friend is very allergic. The product worked wonders for her! :) And - no scratches!

cassiesmom
06-21-2011, 01:39 AM
My dad and my brother are both allergic to cats. I bought a packet of Kitty Wipes (that's really what they're called) at Petsmart for Cassie. I'm with Catty1- it keeps the dander down. I've found that half a wipe does the job just fine. She doesn't like this, so I only do it when someone with allergies is going to be around her - or at "big shed" times, when I'm combing her more often or she's looking a little flaky. She smells good afterward, and the package says the Kitty Wipes contain aloe. Petco sells an unscented one, too - but I like the one that leaves her smelling a little like a baby wipe. The fragrance lasts a good couple of days afterward.

smokey the elder
06-21-2011, 07:50 AM
I was going to suggest the wipes, too. The idea is to cut down the dander, which contains the offending protein. If this works it'll be easier on both you and the animals!

catnapper
06-21-2011, 07:54 AM
I think the pet wipes would be best. They dlo sell anti-allergen ones.

BitsyNaceyDog
06-21-2011, 08:37 AM
I don't know anything about the wipes, but that sounds like it may be your best option. If you decide to actually bathe them, though, I'd HIGHLY recommend putting a cat muzzle on them. I used to bathe cats on a regular basis when I worked for a pet boarding facility/groomer. Obviously, the muzzle helps prevent biting, but it also actually calms them down. Cat muzzles cover the cats eyes and that really helps calm them.

I used nylon ones like this- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RRPVVE/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002ZA2RO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=12DNHGNES88H4C11GB9G

mrspunkysmom
06-21-2011, 09:10 AM
I had not thought of cat wipes. Perhaps I'll give them a try also. I had used some citrus wipes when RB Maggie was over grooming after an episode of flea allergy and it worked wonders.

Good Luck, again, with the allergies and bathing.

Call a couple of pet stores - there is a product that is like wet wipes (I think) and it really keeps the dander down on cats. A friend of mine had her daughter and cat staying with her for a while, and my friend is very allergic. The product worked wonders for her! :) And - no scratches!

catmandu
06-21-2011, 09:28 AM
:love::love:
I have never bathed a Cat, except the one time when I had to pur Mr Fluffy in the wash tub :love: when he had mess under his tail.:confused:
I would never try to bathe My Cathttp://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy286/pouncer2scrappy/101_13061.jpgs, they would not like it at all.

Freedom
06-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Weekly bathing of dogs and cats is going to dry out the skin and give them issues. It really is not recommended! Cats produce a natural oil which coats their fur, and removing this constantly is going to lead to other health problems. Dogs will get dry itchy skin and the constant scratching can lead to sores.

Hubs can live on Claritin each morning and Benadryl each night, or can the Allergist give him shots?

Karen
06-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Jill, is it possible to ban the kitties at least from the bedroom/bed? That will help a lot, as of course we spend all our sleeping hours in the bed ... If they tend to sleep on your bed during the day, for example, trying putting a plastic tablecloth down on the bed in the morning once you are both up for the day, and take it off at night, that will keep the dander from accumulating in the blankets and pillows, which can be a major irritant.

Pembroke_Corgi
06-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions! I guess we will pick up some anti-allergen wipes, hopefully those will do the trick, and we can cut down on the number of baths they get.

I was going to suggest Hazmat suits and prayers.

LOL! So true!

Hubs can live on Claritin each morning and Benadryl each night, or can the Allergist give him shots?
He is going to try to get shots in the winter (he has outdoor allergies too). But, he tried getting shots before a few years ago (when he had less allergies), and even then he almost stopped breathing and had to be given an epipen while getting them done, so I don't know. And he takes a ton of medication for this already. I'll talk with the vet to ask about the baths.

Jill, is it possible to ban the kitties at least from the bedroom/bed? That will help a lot, as of course we spend all our sleeping hours in the bed ... If they tend to sleep on your bed during the day, for example, trying putting a plastic tablecloth down on the bed in the morning once you are both up for the day, and take it off at night, that will keep the dander from accumulating in the blankets and pillows, which can be a major irritant.

That's another thing he was told to do, so the pets have been banned from our bedroom for a few weeks now. Marta took it pretty hard, but she's doing better now (she would sleep with us every night). The pets still have the guest room as theirs, at least! (And the rest of the house). That, with a hepa filter, seem to be helping him a little.