PDA

View Full Version : From the Chicago Tribune: Drunk, naked man operated on pet Doberman

cassiesmom
06-20-2011, 05:16 PM
This just makes me sick. The good part is that I doubt the dog will be with Chicago Animal Care and Control very long-- if he gets a clean bill of health and doesn't get adopted, they will have him go to one of the no-kill shelters, or maybe to a rescue program for Dobermans. But this was in the papers and I heard about it on the radio, so I bet he may get adopted right from Chicago Animal Care and Control. I also heard the dog was happy and friendly to the police and animal care in spite of being hurt.

------
Drunk, naked man operated on pet Doberman

Alerted by reports of a naked man covered in blood, police rushed to a Near West Side apartment and found a "highly intoxicated" man who had been operating on his pet Doberman, "Foley," officials say.

Stewart Gibbs, 44, was charged with felony cruelty to an animal late Sunday after he told police he had tried to remove a cyst from under the dog's right ear, according to police. Bail of $75,000 was set for Gibbs, whose attorney said is a health care administrator.

Gibbs' landlord got a call from other tenants in the building who said water was leaking into their apartments from the ceiling, according to Assistant State's Attorney Lorraine Scaduto.

The landlord knocked on Gibbs' door, got no response and let himself in, police said. Gibbs then ran toward him, naked and covered in blood, Scaduto said. The landlord also saw a blood-soaked towel in the apartment before he left to call police.

Officers arrived about 10 p.m. and were met at the door by Gibbs, whose hands were covered in blood and who "appeared highly intoxicated," according to a police report.

Gibbs let the officers in, and they found blood on the floor and walls of the hall, kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. They also found the Doberman with a wound under its right ear, police said.

Gibbs told the officers he had been using a butcher knife to remove a cyst from under the dog’s ear, and had turned on the water in the bathtub to clean up the dog, according to police and prosecutors. Gibbs told officers he had been drinking at Trump Tower earlier in the evening, returned to his apartment, had another half-bottle of wine and "proceeded to perform surgery" on his dog, according to a police report.

Gibbs did not claim to be a veterinarian but told officers he was a cardiologist, Mirabelli said. There is no state license information on Gibbs being a physician.

"Foley" was taken to an emergency veterinary center for treatment, authorities said. Gibbs gave up custody of the dog, and the Doberman is now in the care of Chicago Animal Care and Control, officials said.

Medusa
06-20-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm reading of more and more bizarre things that are happening. I'm beginning to think nearly everyone is mentally unstable. Except me. :p Seriously, though, I'll bet Foley gets adopted in a heartbeat.

Karen
06-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Poor Foley! But I am glad his former owner wasn't attempting something even worse, or more invasive! And he was probably naked because he thought that way he wouldn't get any blood on his clothes ... Drunk logic being the oxymoron that it is ...

I am sure we hear of more bizarre things than we used to, simply because "if it bleeds, it leads!"

momcat
06-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Is it just me or does there seem to be an increase in animal hoarding and abuse? Over the weekend there was another story on the news about a woman in Philadelphia with something like 29 cats. A utility worker went out to do a repair, saw the situation then called the police. Animal welfare agents were called to the scene and sadly discovered several already dead. The woman, a retired teacher was arrested at the scene.

What is the solution?

Karen
06-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Is it just me or does there seem to be an increase in animal hoarding and abuse?

Momcat, I think it is just a combination of factors that lead to us hearing more about it these days. First, anything at all horrifying is picked up by every news outlet around the world, and repeated over and over. Fifty years ago, the same thing may have happened, but I in Boston wouldn't have heard about it. Also, I think with families being more spread out across the country than before, people can easily get isolated with no one to physically check in on them, and these situations are less likely to be discovered until they become extreme. If her kids or siblings had lived next door, it likely wouldn't have gotten that bad before someone stepped in, but it is easy to lie over the phone and say, "Oh, I'm fine, and you?" no matter what is happening around you.

Abuse is also now, more and more, recognized as a crime, which is just wasn't years ago. In that way, society is improving.

wombat2u2004
06-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Yeah, the man oughta be locked up and the key thrown away, the bloody idiot.

wombat2u2004
06-20-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm beginning to think nearly everyone is mentally unstable. Except me. :p

We all know that you're the only normal human left Mary.
But we're all working hard to change that. :p:p

kitten645
06-20-2011, 10:37 PM
I hope it is a factor of the 24/7 news cycle that needs to be filled. I also think there's alot more than drunkeness involved with this. In vino veritis and it shows the true character of the person. I'm glad the pup is safe.
C

cassiesmom
06-21-2011, 01:46 AM
I'm sorry, maybe I should have said this at the outset - I think it's good that he was given a $75,000 bail. That tells me the judge took the dog's welfare seriously. It makes me very sad that the man decided to try it, and I'm glad the dog was removed from the man's ownership.

Medusa
06-21-2011, 07:06 AM
We all know that you're the only normal human left Mary.
But we're all working hard to change that. :p:p

Y'know, Wom, I think it's working. LOL ;)

lizbud
06-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Momcat, I think it is just a combination of factors that lead to us hearing more about it these days. First, anything at all horrifying is picked up by every news outlet around the world, and repeated over and over. Fifty years ago, the same thing may have happened, but I in Boston wouldn't have heard about it. Also, I think with families being more spread out across the country than before, people can easily get isolated with no one to physically check in on them, and these situations are less likely to be discovered until they become extreme. If her kids or siblings had lived next door, it likely wouldn't have gotten that bad before someone stepped in, but it is easy to lie over the phone and say, "Oh, I'm fine, and you?" no matter what is happening around you.

Abuse is also now, more and more, recognized as a crime, which is just wasn't years ago. In that way, society is improving.

I like your point of view.:) I only hope the last sentence is really true.